Sign in to follow this  
MDC

The ***Official*** MDC movie thread

You didn't see it years ago? :dunno:

Agree that it was awesome though

No missed it. Better late than never, it was great. :thumbsup:

Rented Witchfinder General (1968) last weekend. I was sort of aware of the film but got excited to see it when I read it was an uncommonly good acting performance by Vincent Price, and when A Field in England (Ben Wheatley film) drew some comparisons to it a few years ago.

Witchfinder General is based on a true story about Matthew Hopkins, a witch finder during the English civil war (1700s). He apparently exploited the wartime chaos and went around the countryside, extracting confessions of witchcraft via torture. In the movie at least he sexually blackmails and accused witch , falsely accuses his enemies of witchcraft and basically walks the line between being a total charlatan and a sanctimonious gasbag who believes his own bull.

The movie was watchable but nothing special. I enjoyed seeing Price in a fairly restrained role but he didn't much to do. His dutch boy wig was pretty funny. This movie has 2 of the hallmarks of poor 60s horror filmmaking: fire engine red blood and period costumes that are so white and clean they look exactly like they were created yesterday. I did like the English countrywide setting. The movie was probably pretty shocking in its time but features no nudity and violence (torture, a burning, an axe murder) that would be considered pretty tame today.

I can't really see much reason to watch this one unless you're an anglophile or have a thing for this subject matter. Mark of the Devil covers similar ground and it's infinitely more graphic / exploitative and therefore fun to watch.

6/10

Bone Tomahawk: new western with Kurt Russell:

This was really good. Russell is one of my favorite actors but it was more of an ensemble with great performances by Patrick Wilson and Richard Jenkins too. It's being billed as a western / horror but outside one extremely gory scene it's not much of a horror movie. The dialogue and characters are great, excellent dry sense of humor and exceptionally well acted. I'd give it a 8 out of 10 and recommend it to fans of the Coen Bros or Tarantino maybe.

Really enjoyed, thought Jenkins was excellant as usual, and even Mathew Fox did a more than capable job. My only issue was I downloaded this and watched it on an early flight to Atlanta last week and you undersold that one scene. I'm convering the screen and looking around to make sure nobody is watching...that was brutal. Solid pick MDC. :thumbsup:

Turkish movie called Baskin (2016) about a bunch of cops who respond to a call for backup in a little village that appears to be run by Satanists? This one made very little sense and even less plot. There was a good 40 minutes of decent character development and setup but once the horror parts start rolling I've got no idea hat was going on. It was very gory / bloody and had a few really potent elements. The movie was all dark night and neon and had an interesting look, well acted with some great set design at the end, well acted from what I could tell (subtitles) and a pretty cool electronic soundtrack. It started to wear out it's welcome and lean too heavily on gore at the end. Reminded me a but if Hellraiser but not nearly as good. 6/10

Just took my son. It was really good, with two great central characters and some really excellent world-building. It was also unfortunately overlong like a lot of G movies, with seriously 20 minutes of previews followed by an hour and 50 minute run time! I will never get why studios don't consider the attention span of a G audience. It was probably a little more sophisticated than my son's 3/4 year old attention span but he watched pretty much all of it without getting antsy. Two thoughts:

1. It's a mystery / cop procedural that moves to the beat of a lot of crime movies, something I liked but didn't pick up AT ALL in the previews. Break ins, investigations, political intrigue etc.

2. It has a strong anti- racial profiling message, something else I isn't expect. It's basically about a plot to pit a majority of animals against a minority and to play on that fear for votes. I kid you not. Your child probably won't pick up on that too strongly. I thought it was brass balls to release a movie for kids that is so clearly political during an election year that has a lot of talk about race, immigration and terrorism. I don't know whether the Limbaugh / Hannity type media have picked up on it yet but they would HATE this movie.

Anyway as a film I give it 7/8 out of 10, really good but gets demerits for being longer than it needed to be. Wondering if anybody else here saw it?

Just took my son. It was really good, with two great central characters and some really excellent world-building. It was also unfortunately overlong like a lot of G movies, with seriously 20 minutes of previews followed by an hour and 50 minute run time! I will never get why studios don't consider the attention span of a G audience. It was probably a little more sophisticated than my son's 3/4 year old attention span but he watched pretty much all of it without getting antsy. Two thoughts:

1. It's a mystery / cop procedural that moves to the beat of a lot of crime movies, something I liked but didn't pick up AT ALL in the previews. Break ins, investigations, political intrigue etc.

2. It has a strong anti- racial profiling message, something else I isn't expect. It's basically about a plot to pit a majority of animals against a minority and to play on that fear for votes. I kid you not. Your child probably won't pick up on that too strongly. I thought it was brass balls to release a movie for kids that is so clearly political during an election year that has a lot of talk about race, immigration and terrorism. I don't know whether the Limbaugh / Hannity type media have picked up on it yet but they would HATE this movie.

Anyway as a film I give it 7/8 out of 10, really good but gets demerits for being longer than it needed to be. Wondering if anybody else here saw it?

MDC is talking about Zootopia here. This is what happened: he started a separate thread about it, and the title of that thread was "Zootopia", but it was not mentioned again anywhere in the body. Then, since he also has this compilation thread going, he copied his review here. However without the thread title, there is no context. Please be aware that this is a review of Zootopia. :thumbsup:

MDC is talking about Zootopia here. This is what happened: he started a separate thread about it, and the title of that thread was "Zootopia", but it was not mentioned again anywhere in the body. Then, since he also has this compilation thread going, he copied his review here. However without the thread title, there is no context. Please be aware that this is a review of Zootopia. :thumbsup:

Thanks Mookz. I kind of like this thread as an ongoing summary of every movie I will watch this year. I did forget I title this Zootopia.

Good looking out. :cheers:

Saw Bonetomahawk last night on the jailbroken Fire stick. Good dam movie

I just saw Green Room, the second movie by the director of Blue Ruin. The basic setup is a hardcore punk band, on a minor tour with no cash to even buy gas for their van (they're show siphoning it from parked cars along the way) takes a gig at what turns out to he a skinhead compound. After their set one of the bandmates witnesses a murder. The rest of the film is basically a siege film with the band locked in the green room while a bunch of skinheads with guns and attack dogs are trying to break in to kill them.

It was awesome. Great characters, really gory and completely suspenseful and tense throughout. The only actor I recognized was Patrick Stewart as the skinhead leader - he was great. 8/10, nothing profound in any way but just balls out great.

6 months, 49 replies, half of them you. People seem to not care. HTH.

6 months, 49 replies, half of them you. People seem to not care. HTH.

You care enough to reply.

Is it puppy play when I make you my b1tch?

You care enough to reply.

Is it puppy play when I make you my b1tch?

It appears no one cares about the cinematic tastes of a 16 year old loner, which you seem to have the same taste as. Enjoy your thread with no readers.

It appears no one cares about the cinematic tastes of a 16 year old loner, which you seem to have the same taste as. Enjoy your thread with no readers.

I'll always have you and your bulbous head, RMFF. :wub:

This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by Hardcore troubadour. View it anyway?

It's the way to go, boys :banana:

Can't be bothered to give a review and it would be hard to describe it anyway, but Queen of Earth was great and really disturbing despite being mostly a drama. It was a really interesting film and I highly recommend it. 8/10

1,495 thread views. :rolleyes:

10 Cloverfield Lane: Really surprisingly good. I've always liked John Goodman. He reminded me a lot of his character from Barton Fink in this one - funny and genial, then threatening. The movie built a lot of suspense around whether there was an alien attack or some kind of nuclear fallout which was expected but it had a few twists along the way to keep things interesting. It wasn't a greats is but it was a very good one, 8/10. :thumbsup:

Dear Zachary: a letter to a son from his father. This was among the best documentaries I've see seen and really, really hard to watch. Not in the disturbing sense, but it will wreck your faith in the criminal justice system. It's probably better the less you know going in, but the movie is about a young doctor named Andrew who is shot and killed in Pennsylvania by an ex girlfriend who he met during his residence in Canada. The ex girlfriend is pregnant with his son, and Andrew's parents are trying to get custody of the child while they wait for this woman to be extradited to the US for trial.

It was just gut wrenching and my wife and I were all choked up. 9/10 excellent and really recommended. Just know it's not light viewing at all.

Dear Zachary: a letter to a son from his father. This was among the best documentaries I've see seen and really, really hard to watch. Not in the disturbing sense, but it will wreck your faith in the criminal justice system. It's probably better the less you know going in, but the movie is about a young doctor named Andrew who is shot and killed in Pennsylvania by an ex girlfriend who he met during his residence in Canada. The ex girlfriend is pregnant with his son, and Andrew's parents are trying to get custody of the child while they wait for this woman to be extradited to the US for trial.

It was just gut wrenching and my wife and I were all choked up. 9/10 excellent and really recommended. Just know it's not light viewing at all.

well done, major downer

I just saw a Thai horror movie alled Shutter last night, the original from 2004 not the awful 2008 remake. It started a little slow but it was tense and creepy, got emotionally heavy toward the end an the ending is BATSH1T INSANE.

Basic plot is a photographer and his girlfriend are coming home from a wedding after some drinking hit a girl on a deserted highway. They end up driving off and a few days later the girl they hit starts appearing in photos the photographer has taken. Sounds pretty simple but there were a few nice unexpected twists along the way. It would he much better to go into this one without knowing much about it.

Very little blood or gore but f'ing CREEPY. Anybody who liked the Ring or the Grudge should check it out, it was excellent.

8/10

• Like 1

I just saw a Thai horror movie alled Shutter last night, the original from 2004 not the awful 2008 remake. It started a little slow but it was tense and creepy, got emotionally heavy toward the end an the ending is BATSH1T INSANE.

Basic plot is a photographer and his girlfriend are coming home from a wedding after some drinking hit a girl on a deserted highway. They end up driving off and a few days later the girl they hit starts appearing in photos the photographer has taken. Sounds pretty simple but there were a few nice unexpected twists along the way. It would he much better to go into this one without knowing much about it.

Very little blood or gore but f'ing CREEPY. Anybody who liked the Ring or the Grudge should check it out, it was excellent.

8/10

I liked the American version called I Know What You Did Last Summer.

Jen Love Hewitts Tiits were spectacular and her butt hadn't gone all Centaur yet.

I liked the American version called I Know What You Did Last Summer.

Jen Love Hewitts Tiits were spectacular and her butt hadn't gone all Centaur yet.

Wrong movie but I agree!

Have you seen Don't Breathe? I love a good horror/thriller movie, maybe not the obscure foreign horror movies like you, but was curious if you've seen it yet.

Tia.

Have you seen Don't Breathe? I love a good horror/thriller movie, maybe not the obscure foreign horror movies like you, but was curious if you've seen it yet.

Tia.

Been on my radar for a while but nope, not yet.

Did you see that movie where Tom Cruise was fighting for the Chinese in the Boxer Rebellion and accidentally killed one of his own guys and buried the body only to keep seeing that guy over and over again?

I know what you did, Last Samurai.

Actually caught 3 movies and all were pretty good last weekend.

On Friday I saw Kirsha, about an older (60s) woman who's a recovering alcoholic and visits her estranged family at Thanksgiving. Really interesting the way it was shot, terrifically well acted and liked it a lot even though it was hard to watch and emotionally pretty tough. I probably wouldn't watch it again but I enjoyed it enough. 7/10 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4266638/

Saturday I watched The Monster about ... an alcoholic mom (sort of a theme) trapped in a broken down car on a country road in a rainstorm with her daughter and there's something lurking outside. Really neat practical FX and interesting but felt a little slight at the end and not really scary or gory. It was fine. 6/10 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3976144/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Sunday I watched Swiss Army Man. It is honestly about a guy who is trapped on a desert island with a farting, talking corpse. This was by far one of the weirdest movies I've ever seen. I really enjoyed it and I can't say why. Harry Potter is in it. 8/10 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4034354/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Tia.

I saw it and was let down. It was totally watchable and the villain and setting were great. There were way, waaaaayyyy too many plot holes and a 3rd act "twist" that was preposterous and disgusting. I can take pretty gross content in movies but this one was so out of tone with the rest of the film it was really just gross. Don't Breathe reminded me a lot of Green Room from last year, only Green Room was about a million times better.

5/10