Sign in to follow this  
ROCKFORD

Which big name WR will NE land this offseason

Hankerson he is going to be the guy .

Pats only about 6mil under the cap, but have all their guys under contract tho right?

Pretty much. Alan Branch is their only significant free agent and he's mostly just a big body on the d-line.

Plus they're going to get more cap room after cutting mayo, LaFell, and maybe Amendola (Amendola probably only stays if he restructures).

But it's not Belichick's MO to tie up cap space in WR. I'm guessing they use some of it to extend Hightower and Collins. Might spend on the o-line

Will at least that is over , we can all breath now .

I believe they already signed their guy when they extended Keyshawn Martin for 3 years.

If that's the case then they still don't have their guy.

If that's the case then they still don't have their guy.

True, but when they signed LaFell, did they have their guy?

Part of the point here is Patriots are hurting financially.

True, but when they signed LaFell, did they have their guy?

Good point

I don't agree with that. Let's break it down:

- They have a little more than $5M available under the cap right now ($5.6M)

- Mayo is either going to restructure or he is cut. Worse case is that they cut him and save $8M in cap - Savings = $8M

- Amendola is likely to restructure his deal and will save at least $2M on the cap this year (down from $6.8M) - Savings = $2M

- Jones and Hightower are both FA's in 2017 and they are likely going to try and sign them long-term during the offseason as it locks them up AND it will save some cap space. Let's say that they do something similar to what they did with Gronk and their cap numbers go from $7.8M down to about $6.6M (give or take) - Savings = $2.4M

- Cannon is gone. Savings = $3.2M

- Likely going to extend Sheard as he is a good fit. His cap number would likely go down from the $6.8M mark to closer to $5M. - Savings = $1.8M

- Lafell and/or Chandler is likely gone. Lafell savings would be $2.6M. Chandler's would be $2M. Let's just say we save $2M for now. - Savings = $2M

Without any other moves (Butler, Collins also looming), they are probably going to have about $25M to play with assuming that they also lock up Jones and Hightower.

With all that said, I don't see them paying for a big name WR. It is not their MO to do that. They will want to address the RB position and the line before spending on a WR.

• Like 1

facts and analysis... more facts and analysis

meh, you can try to help them see the truth, but they don't want to hear it.

NE will be an even better team next year, lots of youth and they're all coming back - especially on defense.

I don't see them paying big money for a RB or a WR - they'll make some sort of cap-savvy veteran signings and most likely spend on Oline, and maybe defensive backs.

meh, you can try to help them see the truth, but they don't want to hear it.

NE will be an even better team next year, lots of youth and they're all coming back - especially on defense.

I don't see them paying big money for a RB or a WR - they'll make some sort of cap-savvy veteran signings and most likely spend on Oline, and maybe defensive backs.

I am not sure if they will be better or not. I think that many people look at teams through Fantasy Football glasses and that is just not how the Patriots do it. It is hard to think that they will have the same injury issues next year as they did this year.

They do have to make some changes on the OL and they will need to fill in some depth at WR and RB. But I don't see radical changes in the passing game. It will be Gronk and Edelman with a sprinkling of whatever is left. Have to keep those guys on the field to be effective.

My point was more that that they are not in trouble financially. They will just have to allocate that money to extensions of those young guys that are their defensive core. Probably won't be able to take care of them all, but that is where the loss of the 1st rounder will hurt.

I don't see them spending big money, but Rishard Mathews could be a target. Maybe Kearse?

Matthews would be a great piece for that quick passing game.

If Vincent Jackson doesn't take a pay cut (slated to be making 5th most money in 2016) maybe the Bucs release him and he signs with the Patriots?

Roto says they won't ask VJax to take a pay cut, but he'd fill the big body roll that LaFell was supposed to.

M Jones

A Jeffery

R Matthews

C Givens

Aiken

From the list posted those names stand out the most .

Looking for Josh Gordon to make a big impact on any team he plays for next year. Don't know if our how the Pats could land him, but if they did, that would be uuuuuuge.

I don't think CLE will get enough for him in trade and I'm sure Hue wants him. Gordon will play out his contract with the Browns imo.

I would let Gordon go , and if he did land with the Patriots that would be interesting . I'm not to sure if the Patriots would want to deal with his problems , and I'm praying he is over them .

Not saying that the Patriots will pick up Jeffries , but the post was what big name , and his name of the list provided is the biggest , now will they get pick him nope don't see it either , but he his the biggest name based on the list .

Not saying that the Patriots will pick up Jeffries , but the post was what big name , and his name of the list provided is the biggest , now will they get pick him nope don't see it either , but he his the biggest name based on the list .

The post was "what big name will the Pats land" . Key word Will. They will not sign Jeffries.

I don't think anyone including you knows who they will pick up , do you ? No you don't and you know yet , so from the list provided I'm adding Jeffries name . How that's what you ?

I don't think anyone including you knows who they will pick up , do you ? No you don't and you know yet , so from the list provided I'm adding Jeffries name . How that's what you ?

??? What time is it where you are?

So you agree that it could happen ? See . Read Proverbs 14:29 and God Bless . I don't know who the Patriots will pick up but until Jeffries resigns he is still on the list .

So you agree that it could happen ? See . Read Proverbs 14:29 and God Bless . I don't know who the Patriots will pick up but until Jeffries resigns he is still on the list .

Ok. Read my words. NE is not getting A Jeffries. And I know this. So do you. Mazel Tov

He is still on my list until he resigns , never said they where going to get him said he his on the list has a big name wr that was on the list provided. Now do you have a list ? If so let's see your list of wr that you think might end up with the Patriots .

He is still on my list until he resigns , never said they where going to get him said he his on the list has a big name wr that was on the list provided. Now do you have a list ? If so let's see your list of wr that you think might end up with the Patriots .

I said it earlier. Sanu. And the bigger problem for the Pafs wasn't who was catching the passes. It was the guy throwing them, because he didn't have time. Now, with limited resources and no first round pick, do you really think they are going top shelf on this?

It's the Patriots , does anyone ever know wha they are thinking bout doing , they might maybe with this team it's possible. Do I see them signing a player like Jeffries no I don't , but it's the Patriots and when do they ever do what most think they do ?

Also Sanu is a very interesting prospect for them good pick .

Looking for Josh Gordon to make a big impact on any team he plays for next year. Don't know if our how the Pats could land him, but if they did, that would be uuuuuuge.

this scenario is looking better and better. its the kind of move NE makes, moves that make a difference. plus, that locker room could help keep gordon in line.

this scenario is looking better and better. its the kind of move NE makes, moves that make a difference. plus, that locker room could help keep gordon in line.

Cleveland isn't letting Gordon go, they are drafting a QB and they sure as hell are gonna want him to have someone to throw to.

If Vincent Jackson doesn't take a pay cut (slated to be making 5th most money in 2016) maybe the Bucs release him and he signs with the Patriots?

I just dont think vjax is the type of player the Pats want.

I am praying its Rishard.

I'm not sure Brady can reach him .

I think they do land one of these receivers. Sanu and Rishard could be good options. I don't think they will spend too much on the Oline, any tackle they get will be a backup, and the guard and center options aren't too much money. I also think they will sign a RB. Doug Martin might be a good option, Lewis and White catching passes. Not sure what they might do at LB and CB.

Brady doesn't throw a good deep ball anymore, and i could see the big FA splash being Joe Thomas or some OL rather than WR....

I wasn't that sad the pats lost... Probably because the Pats win so much we almost get tired of winning. Pats have made america great again