Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Rudnicki

Chris Ivory to the Jaguars

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Jaguars agreed to terms with RB Chris Ivory, formerly of the Jets.

Edited by Mike FF Today
Credit the source. Don't copy & paste analysis.

Thought he was a good fit for the Patriots.

Huh? What about Yeldon? I mean i am not a big fan but i know a lot of people are

Hearing Jags ponied up $6mil per to land Ivory. What does that say about Yeldon?

Huh? What about Yeldon? I mean i am not a big fan but i know a lot of people are

Yeldon is not a special athlete, and has no other special qualities IMHO, he may turn into a good pro but if anything Ivory will help push him to be one down the road. I'm sure its disappointing for those who expected a lot from him out of the gate, but there is hope for the future. Ivory gets hurt a lot and it won't hurt for T.J.Y. to see up close how far hard nosed running with desire can take a guy. They could be a strong duo initially for the Jags and I doubt Ivory has a long career.

Thats a lot of money to spend on a backup RB.

ha ha ha...

the yeldon owner in my league thinks he is a top 10 guy... not so much now. lol

I still like Yeldon as a fantasy prospect, especially in dynasty leagues although you have to assume some kind of timeshare with Ivory & Yeldon with Denard Robinson filling a backup role. We'll see how the roles develop during workouts this summer...

I personally LOVE this from a re-draft perspective. I will be having a ton of exposure to Yeldon in PPR leagues next year. He's going to be heavily discounted.

Ivory hasn't exactly been a picture of health and if Yeldon is relegated to a similar 3rd down role as Bilal Powell, I think he could be a great bargain.

Yea I would agree , in ppr leagues Yeldon could turn out to me a good buy . Ivory gets the goal line carries than?

Hurts Bortles and his receiving corp. They threw it all the time down there after Gehrhart couldn't get in from the one with four tries.

I personally LOVE this from a re-draft perspective. I will be having a ton of exposure to Yeldon in PPR leagues next year. He's going to be heavily discounted.

Ivory hasn't exactly been a picture of health and if Yeldon is relegated to a similar 3rd down role as Bilal Powell, I think he could be a great bargain.

Stop it. This my friends is the reaction of a Yeldon owner (fan) going through the denial phase.

In no way can you get a RB in FA and pay him 6 million and think that is good for the current RB on the team no matter who he is.

I am staying away from Yeldon and Ivory until one gets hurt. If one emerges this is gold, until then it is fools gold.

Fewer red zone TDs for A-Rob

Well Robinson isnt likely to score 14 TD every year, so some regression is very likely...

But..

I tend to believe that teams that dont run the ball well in the redzone dont do it more because of bad O line play, than bad RB play. Is Ivory an upgrade over Yeldon as a power runner? Yes. But the Jags O line is still not very good. And even if Ivory DID upgrade the entire Jags redzone offense significantly, well then defenses wont be able to just concentrate on Robinson.

Robinson will get his.

I need to rank both of theses guys and since I play in ppr leagues I would agree about ranking Yeldon a little bit higher than Ivory , but I'm not going to count on Robinson scoring 14 tds again this season , even if Ivory did not sign with the team . Robinson looks like he is going to develop into a really good player so I'm going to say 10 tds this season . I do think Ivory will take some away when the team gets near the goal line .

Megla has to be happy - the Jags are spending like hell and acquiring some pretty solid talent.

Megla has to be happy - the Jags are spending like hell and acquiring some pretty solid talent.

Out of all the teams that didn't make the playoffs last year. I'm really liking Jacksonville.

The AFC is still gonna be run through New England, and Pittsburg. But the jags could be a pretty good sleeper.

So, I am a Yeldon owner in semi dynasty league (we keep 8). I'm not in denial, but I've moved on to the next phase- Anger! Honestly, he is a great athlete and had a good rookie year. They were planning on giving him 3rd down carries and I had some high expectations. To be honest, I just don't get it... the Jags have so many holes to fill that I would think this would be towards the bottom. Spending $6 million on RB when you have 2 solid guys already (Yeldon and Robinson) and where you basically don't have a defense is just mind boggling.

That being said, I am not in denial. They are paying for Ivory to be the lead back, and Yeldon's best case is RBBC, or hoping for injury. On the upside here for me, I have Bilal Powel who I was not planning to keep. Assuming he ends up with Ivory's role on the Jets, I'll keep him as one of my 8 and drop Yeldon.

Bummer.

They don't have a choice. They have to spend a ton of money this year to be compliant with the minimums in the CBA. The problem is that they are spending on a FA class that is pretty poor. It could really hurt them if they are saddled with big contracts beyond this season (i.e. long term guarantees).

They also have to overpay because the team is not that good. To attract FA's to a bad team, you have to overpay.

Out of all the teams that didn't make the playoffs last year. I'm really liking Jacksonville.

The AFC is still gonna be run through New England, and Pittsburg. But the jags could be a pretty good sleeper.

Not saying they will be any good this year, but I really like the moves Philly is making. Somebody up there is finally making some good football/financial decisions.

So, I am a Yeldon owner in semi dynasty league (we keep 8). I'm not in denial, but I've moved on to the next phase- Anger! Honestly, he is a great athlete and had a good rookie year. They were planning on giving him 3rd down carries and I had some high expectations. To be honest, I just don't get it... the Jags have so many holes to fill that I would think this would be towards the bottom. Spending $6 million on RB when you have 2 solid guys already (Yeldon and Robinson) and where you basically don't have a defense is just mind boggling.

That being said, I am not in denial. They are paying for Ivory to be the lead back, and Yeldon's best case is RBBC, or hoping for injury. On the upside here for me, I have Bilal Powel who I was not planning to keep. Assuming he ends up with Ivory's role on the Jets, I'll keep him as one of my 8 and drop Yeldon.

Bummer.

You think the Jets will give the starting job to Powell ?

Well Robinson isnt likely to score 14 TD every year, so some regression is very likely...

But..

I tend to believe that teams that dont run the ball well in the redzone dont do it more because of bad O line play, than bad RB play

While I generally tend to believe that as well, the Jaguars running backs simply could not power through inside the five yard line.

Toby Gerhart had five runs inside the 3 yard line. Never got into the end zone.

Denard Robinson had five runs inside the 3 yard line. One touchdown.

Yeldon had four runs inside the 3 yard line. One touchdown.

Chris Ivory (albeit with a much better O-Line) was pretty successful inside the 3 yard line.

Blake Bortles actually had the best success inside the five on the Jags. He ran for two touchdowns and nearly a third from the one yard line.

While the Jaguars line didn't grade out well from Football Outsiders nor PFF, I think a big factor was simply the personnel failed to accomplish the job. Ivory is a beast and can move a pile.

While my previous comment re: Robinson isn't going as far as to say he won't score double-digit TD's necessarily, I do think there will be a reduction in his red zone targets with a power back in the fold.

12 of Allen Robinson's 14 touchdowns came in the red zone. Ten of those came inside the ten yard line.

I'm still geeked on A-Rob, I just think the TD's are subject to a decline.