Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Proposed NFL Rule Changes

No.4 was proposed as a result of the Odell Beckham Jr. / Josh Norman fiasco.

2016 Playing Rules Proposals

1. By Competition Committee; Permanently moves the line of scrimmage for Try kicks to the
defensive team’s 15-yard line, and allows the defense to return any missed Try.

2. By Competition Committee; Permits the offensive and defensive play callers on the
coaching staffs to use the coach-to-player communication system regardless of whether
they are on the field or in the coaches’ booth.

3. By Competition Committee; Makes all chop blocks illegal.

4. By Competition Committee; Disqualifies a player who is penalized twice in one game for
certain types of unsportsmanlike conduct fouls.

5. By Competition Committee; Changes the spot of the next snap after a touchback resulting
from a free kick to the 25-yard line.

6. By Baltimore; to amend Rule 5, Sections 3, Articles 1 and 2 (Changes in Position) to
require players to wear jersey vests with numbers appropriate for their positions.

7. By Baltimore; to amend Rule 15, Section 2, Articles 1, 4, and 5 (Instant Replay) to
provide each team with three challenges and expand reviewable plays.

8. By Buffalo; to amend Rule 15, Section 2, Articles 1, 4, and 5 (Instant Replay) to permit a
coach to challenge any official's decision except scoring plays and turnovers.

9. By Carolina; to amend Rule 8, Section 2, Article 1 (Intentional Grounding) to expand the
definition of intentional grounding.

10. By Kansas City; to amend Rule 14, Section 2, Article 1 (Half-distance Penalty) to add
penalty yards to the distance needed to gain a First Down.

11. By Kansas City; to amend Rule 8, Section 1, Article 2 (Legal Forward Pass) to prohibit
quarterbacks from falling to the ground, getting up, and throwing a forward pass.

12. By Minnesota; to amend Rule 15, Section 2, Article 1 (Coaches' Challenge) to eliminate the
requirement that a team be successful on each of its first two Instant Replay challenges in
order to be awarded a third challenge.

13. By Washington; to amend Rule 16, Section 1, Articles 1, 4, 6 and 7 (Overtime
procedures) to eliminate overtime periods in preseason games.

14. By Washington; to amend Rule 15, Section 2, Article 4 (Reviewable Plays) to subject
personal foul penalties to Instant Replay review.

15. By Washington; to amend Rule 15, Section 2, Article 1 (Coaches' Challenge) to eliminate
the requirement that a team be successful on each of its first two Instant Replay challenges
in order to be awarded a third challenge.

16. By Competition Committee; Expands the horse collar rule to include when a defender grabs
the jersey at the name plate or above and pulls a runner toward the ground.

17. By Competition Committee; Makes it a foul for delay of game when a team attempts to call
a timeout when it is not permitted to do so.

18. By Competition Committee; Eliminates the five-yard penalty for an eligible receiver
illegally touching a forward pass after being out of bounds and re-establishing himself
inbounds, and makes it a loss of down.

19. By Competition Committee; Eliminates multiple spots of enforcement for a double foul
after a change of possession.

Really like #3 and #13

#16 is a joke right?

#16 is not a joke. I heard an interview where they discussed this as being equally as dangerous as a horse collar.

I'm pretty sure they are dead serious about this.

Got to love the whiny Ravens with #6. :lol:

i think it is more of a mocking of the nfl than an actual suggestion.

the ravens have been bitten on both ends of this.

patriots get away with it on the ravens, and the ravens get busted when it should have been legal.

still no revision to the catch rule.

I heard today on the nfl network that the competition committee says that the nfl needs to do a better job of educating the public on the rule. All I know is that I used to know what a catch was and now I have to wait to see what they think in New York.

Someday there will be a penalty for any player who fails to hug his oppononet after a play and doesn't tell him he's sorry.

Like #5, although it should be amended to exclude "downing" the ball. I still think they should eliminate fair catches.

Agree with #8 & #15, which are both in favor of reviewing personal foul calls. They should also eliminate "defenseless receiver".

Not quite sure why #11 would be necessary. If the QB hasn't been touched down he should still be able to continue the play.

#16 is not a joke. I heard an interview where they discussed this as being equally as dangerous as a horse collar.

I'm pretty sure they are dead serious about this.

So they're concerned about taking a player down by the top of the jersey but they will still allow players with long hair to get pulled down by that?

Cut the hair , easy fix .. Your Welcome .

So they're concerned about taking a player down by the top of the jersey but they will still allow players with long hair to get pulled down by that?

Yes and yes.

The first is not a choice and currently increases injury risk. Having long hair is a players choice..

Cut the hair , easy fix .. Your Welcome .

For someone that is religious, you sure don't understand other cultures.

For someone that is religious, you sure don't understand other cultures.

Lol .

# 20; Eliminate 5 yard penalties that are automatic first downs.

Sometimes i think its necessary so a defense who is winning cant push around receivers. What about compromise? Its no longer an auto first down, it just results in 5 yards and no loss of down.

So #3 goes in and Harbaugh is already crying. Remember that there is a difference between a cut block (legal in many cases) and a chop block (now illegal across the board).

Sometimes i think its necessary so a defense who is winning cant push around receivers. What about compromise? Its no longer an auto first down, it just results in 5 yards and no loss of down.

Agreed about the necessity. And keeping it a 5 yard penalty, no auto first down, and with no loss of down would be a good change.

Or if any penalty is deemed so egregious as to warrant an automatic first down, change it to a 15 yard penalty.

I just hate to see 3rd and long, and then a yellow flag thrown for a 5 yard penalty and an automatic first down.

the counter to this is that on 3rd and long, any defender who is getting beaten can get a mulligan by tackling the receiver.

"oh gosh--instead of 3rd and 13 it's now 3rd and 8. he's beating me again? now 3rd and 3."

and if you extend it to 15 yards, the offense can get huge chunks of unearned yardage for minor contact away from the play. i think the rule as written is a great compromise. it forces the defense to play clean, but also forces the offense to earn their field position. it can be frustrating, but it's an ideal balance.