Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Alfred Morris Agrees to 2 Year deal with Dallas

Alfred Morris has agreed to a two year deal with the Cowboys, per his agent. The goal is get back to the 2014 run game production as a team

• Like 1

so not that it is official, no on elliott in the draft. mcfadden, dunbar and morris?

what. a. mess. morris has value in td leagues, in ppr he is not even worth his name in salt.

mcfadden had some value until this, dunbar is just enough to take other 3rd down snaps from all.

There isn't a single team in the current day NFL that is going to win the Super Bowl with a backup quarterback. Not one.

Um, the Broncos pretty much just won the super bowl without a QB. And a backup held the fort while the starter healed.

Think the pick up of Morris is a good one for the team

As for ppr leagues it doesn't help .

Alfred Morris has agreed to a two year deal with the Cowboys, per his agent. The goal is get back to the 2014 run game production as a team

Dallas had the 4th leading rusher in the league last year and finished as the 9th ranked rushing team overall.. The run game production was just fine - the problem that's not enough when you lose your starting qb and #1 wr.

That being said, I do like the signing - depending on the terms.

Um, the Broncos pretty much just won the super bowl without a QB. And a backup held the fort while the starter healed.

Perfect example of why everything is not black & white....... Did they? Yes, they did.. But, they also had the league's best defense and a said qb who just got signed for $72m.. Most teams don't have that kind of set up.

Perfect example of why everything is not black & white....... Did they? Yes, they did.. But, they also had the league's best defense and a said qb who just got signed for $72m.. Most teams don't have that kind of set up.

So you don't think an upgrade at back up QB is a priority?

In what sense? Everyone wants the best qb they can have.

Schefter reporting on twitter that Alf is signing with the boys. ZBS should work well for him. Glad to see him land softly.

Just what they needed, dumpster diving for another retread that'll discourage them from taking Elliott. Like I said, a waste of a fine offensive line.

Manning brought more to the table in this particular game, and Denver was fine with that. No other QB in the league reads a defense and recognizes vulnerable offensive formations like Manning. This, more than his physical tools, is what made him so valuable. He kept the Denver defense out of disadvantaged situations and short fields, avoiding sacks and turnovers, while managing just enough offense to win the game. NO backup QB in the NFL could've done so.

Like the move...Dallas still blows!

Great spot for Morris. Balanced team, great line, ZBS... Fragile McFaddden the only impediment to getting alot of carries... very happy with this as a dynasty owner wondering where the FA roulette wheel will land...

Manning brought more to the table in this particular game, and Denver was fine with that. No other QB in the league reads a defense and recognizes vulnerable offensive formations like Manning. This, more than his physical tools, is what made him so valuable. He kept the Denver defense out of disadvantaged situations and short fields, avoiding sacks and turnovers, while managing just enough offense to win the game. NO backup QB in the NFL could've done so.

And Osweiller filed in while he healed. So if Romo goes down, again, pack it in for those games. Got it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000646487/article/cowboys-sign-alfred-morris-on-twoyear-35m-deal

A 2 year deal worth 3.5 mil. He can make as much as 5 mil with bonuses.

at this price, he is hardly a high risk signing.

And considering the injury risk McFadden brings with him, he is a worthwhile insurance policy who can also reduce DMC's workload a bit.

I like the signing. I think the boys got decent value here.

Just what they needed, dumpster diving for another retread that'll discourage them from taking Elliott. Like I said, a waste of a fine offensive line.

SB Winners past 10 years:

2015: Denver, 17th ranked rushing offense

2014: NE, 18th ranked rushing offense

2013: Seattle, 4th ranked rushing offense

2012: Baltimore, 11th ranked rushing offense

2011: NY, dead ass last, 32nd

2010: Green Bay, 24th ranked rushing offense

2009: N. Orleans, 6th ranked rushing offense

2008: Pittsburgh, 23rd ranked rushing offense

2007: NY, 4th ranked rushing offense

2006: Indy, 18th ranked rushing offense

* Only 3 times in the last 10 years has the SB winner been ranked in the top 10 of rushing... The real common denominator with all of those teams is 7 of the 10 had dominant, over powering defenses - and quarterbacks that could get it down the field... Not a single one of the last 10 SB winners won it bcoz of their rushing attack... Running games are nice and important, but you don't need a dominant one - a solid one will do.. If Dallas doesn't fix the defense first, the rest doesn't matter... Would Elliot be nice? Sure, of course... But not at #4, and not before other things are addressed.

• Like 1

I'll buy Lance Dunbar in the 10th round over ALF in the 3rd

Alf isn't a 3rd round RB... he likely starts in a timeshare behind DMC... He is a rd 6-8 type guy maybe even later.

• Like 1

Alf isn't a 3rd round RB... he likely starts in a timeshare behind DMC... He is a rd 6-8 type guy maybe even later.

The hype train will start rolling come August. Was Joseph Randle a 4-5 round guy last year?

The hype train will start rolling come August. Was Joseph Randle a 4-5 round guy last year?

people thought he was but he wasnt even a round 15 guy

Is don't think the Cowboys are strong enough to get to the Super Bowl , I would look at a Qb in this draft .

You are correct, they aren't good enough, which is why they should take a QB to solidify their future.

They were never gonna take Elliot at four anyway.

I don't see anyway Morris value would reach a third round pick . If someone in the leagues I'm in draft him that high I would ask for a refund .

They were never gonna take Elliot at four anyway.

Lots of talk in Dallas of exactly that happening. My take is it's the prudent move, build on your strength on the offensive line.

But hey, any USFL-type stiff can fall out of bed and gain 1,000 yards behind that wall right?

Would love to see the guy fall to Oakland and get put to work behind their offensive line, which is comparable to the Cowboy's.

SB Winners past 10 years:

2015: Denver, 17th ranked rushing offense

2014: NE, 18th ranked rushing offense

2013: Seattle, 4th ranked rushing offense

2012: Baltimore, 11th ranked rushing offense

2011: NY, dead ass last, 32nd

2010: Green Bay, 24th ranked rushing offense

2009: N. Orleans, 6th ranked rushing offense

2008: Pittsburgh, 23rd ranked rushing offense

2007: NY, 4th ranked rushing offense

2006: Indy, 18th ranked rushing offense

* Only 3 times in the last 10 years has the SB winner been ranked in the top 10 of rushing... The real common denominator with all of those teams is 7 of the 10 had dominant, over powering defenses - and quarterbacks that could get it down the field... Not a single one of the last 10 SB winners won it bcoz of their rushing attack... Running games are nice and important, but you don't need a dominant one - a solid one will do.. If Dallas doesn't fix the defense first, the rest doesn't matter... Would Elliot be nice? Sure, of course... But not at #4, and not before other things are addressed.

There's no way in hell I'm arguing with you about your football team, not my place. I've simply got an opinion. And that is 2014 is the way for your team to win. The point is lost due to your injuries last year, but to get full effect from that line of yours you need a top RB behind it. Walmart works as well, for your 1,000 yards and what not. Lamar Miller would've looked real nice with a star on his helmet.

Hey, some latest mocks are showing Goff to Cleveland. You pull the trigger on Wentz or what?

But hey, any USFL-type stiff can fall out of bed and gain 1,000 yards behind that wall right?

DMC not only did it, he did it with back up qbs who went 1-11 and without the team's #1 wr.

Lots of talk in Dallas of exactly that happening. My take is it's the prudent move, build on your strength on the offensive line.

Would love to see the guy fall to Oakland and get put to work behind their offensive line, which is comparable to the Cowboy's.

Dallas can get RB help in the second round that will be more than capable. Anything other than defense or a QB at pick 4 would be a huge mistake.

Hey, some latest mocks are showing Goff to Cleveland. You pull the trigger on Wentz or what?

Absolutely, in a second... I'm not sold on Goff.. He throws a wobbly ball and it just doesn't seem to have any zip.. I could be wrong about him - just my take from watching limited highlights and of course his combine stuff... Of course I just described P. Manning too - but I'm not sure Goff is P. Manning.

Dallas can get RB help in the second round that will be more than capable. Anything other than defense or a QB at pick 4 would be a huge mistake.

You might be right.

the only way I can see Dallas not picking a QB in the first 2 rounds of this draft is:

1) if they feel they can get a better QB in next years draft (for whatever reason)

2) (speculation) I've seen some reports that suggest none of the QB's in this years class are ready to start immediately. and that is fine. but if they think they can develop a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round (even the 4th round) who can eventually be as good as some of the top rated guys in this class, They may go this route.

(Dallas sometimes isnt afraid to take risks at the draft, so I felt that this was a possibility worth mentioning).

3) they feel they can get better value by trading for a QB in the off season.

-------------------------------------

putting all this aside, I think Dallas would be wise to have a succession plan. Romo is starting to get hurt a lot. Two Broken collarbone injuries and a bad back.

He might have one or two years left in him, but I wouldnt want to risk another wasted season like we saw this year.

They really need to get started in developing a kid to take over.

I do think that there are trade possibilities out there with the musical chairs at QB we have seen. there are also FA available Not a lot of options left in free agency.... but some.

I am pretty sure that Dallas is not finished.

They really need to get started in developing a kid to take over.

I do think that there are trade possibilities out there with the musical chairs at QB we have seen. there are also FA available Not a lot of options left in free agency.... but some.

Romo's contract makes it virtually impossible to bring in any FA qb worth his salt for purposes of being the starting qb of the future... Anyone you get will be a castoff spare that nobody wants.. The future Qb of this team will have to come from the draft.

They had the same needs two years ago, yet drafted to their strength. That was a ballsy move. A young, electric running back behind that line, not some retread stiff, does more for that defense than any player they could draft for it.

But I digress.

They had the same needs two years ago, yet drafted to their strength. That was a ballsy move. A young, electric running back behind that line, not some retread stiff, does more for that defense than any player they could draft for it.

But I digress.

Bcoz instead of 1100 yards your young, electric running back goes for 1300? Not sure how that improves your team more than the most important, weakest part - the defense.

exactly this. denver had the pieces in place to succeed without top-quality QB play. DAL does not. if von miller and demarcus ware were cowboys, the backup QB situation would be a much higher priority.

From ESPN's Todd Archer...

"Jerry Jones views Darren McFadden as the Cowboys starting running back but says Alfred Morris will have a "substantive" role in the offense."

I don't know, we'll see. McFadden's pass-catching ability certainly gives him an advantage over Morris but I'm not sure McFadden's 2015 season was anything more than an anomaly. Unless this situation gets clearly defined, I'm likely to stay away from the Dallas RBs in August.

We should get a better look at the backfield through the preseason. Hopefully they can shed some light on how the backs will be utilized. Who knows. Maybe Morris fits right into their scheme and runs well enough to give him the majority of carries. Maybe he doesn't do squat. We know McFadden is an injury waiting to happen. Dallas likes to have a bell cow RB with a change of pace back. McFadden and Morris could fit those categories. Either way I'm not sold on taking any of their RBs until the latter part of the draft right now.

everything is a priority, but some priorities rank higher than others. right now edge rusher, overall DL depth, and CB/S are certainly more critical to 2016 success than backup QB. upgrading the RB room is almost certainly more important to a SB win.

there are probably 10 QB starters in the league who couldn't have gotten the 2015 cowboys to .500. the 33rd-ranked QB probably wouldn't have fared better. yeah, it would be good to bring in competition for moore (who performed quite well after getting his feet wet), but other positions are higher priorities.

Don't like Morris. RGlll helped him when he first came on the scene. After that he was just average. Didn't scare any defenses

Don't like Morris. RGlll helped him when he first came on the scene. After that he was just average. Didn't scare any defenses

Oh what a difference a real offensive line can make..... I have a feeling Morris (will all of the sudden) look pretty dang solid running behind this unit and with Romo at the helm.. Just look at what old, broken down, always injured McFadden did last year - and that was w/out Romo.

Oh what a difference a monster offensive line can make..... I have a feeling Morris (will all of the sudden) look pretty dang solid running behind this unit and with Romo at the helm.. Just look at what old, broken down, always injured McFadden did last year - and that was w/out Romo.

True but McFadden actually used to be a beast. He has the talent. I'm not so sure about Morris yet

True but McFadden actually used to be a beast. He has the talent. I'm not so sure about Morris yet

True too... I'm not exactly familiar with Morris and fumbling - anyone know if it's been an issue with him in the past?