Sign in to follow this  
Ray_T

Dak Prescott stakes his claim to the cowboys backup QB job

Typical. Ignore my point then. Did you watch the game? I was comparing their similar 9 game stretch of going 8-1. It's not like I excluded a game in the middle of that stretch. Even if you include the 9ers game, Romo has 22TDs and 6INTs.

But if we compare the 9 game stretch of going 8-1 like we have this season, despite the same TD/INT ratio, Romo looks like he gives us a little extra big play ability/redzone success. Because that fade from Dak to Dez isn't quite working like it did with Romo/Dez.

Typical what, cherry pick? Then I agree. But hey - let's toss out Dak's 1st game then - the one where he had 2 Red Zone td passes dropped - remember those?

Again - the argument can be made, and strongly I agree - that 2014 Romo might be better. Then again, this isn't 2014, this is 2016 - and he has 36 years of age, 2 broken collar bones and a broken spine in the bank since then.

there is really no question: other than running the football, there is no QB technique in which dak even approaches romo's class. romo understands the game better, executes the offense better, and throws the ball better. staying with dak is the right decision, but is based on intangibles. trying to argue that dak has similar ability right now is just silly.

What's silly is that you want to apply right now philosophy to a quarterback of 2014. Right now we don't know what Romo has or is. Right now we know what Dak is.

As far as Dez - he's a culpable as Dak in some instances. Dez has been rather good at making the phenomenal catch - but he's also booted a few too. Did we all forget the Week 1 td catch, or drop I should say? He makes that catch - good chance we don't lose that game... Then there was the Pitt drops. Yea he had hands all over him but he's Dez, he has to make those catches. He even said so afterwards.

It could be both.. Depending on who you ask and what context - it could be the other as well.

You do know (going into last week) Dallas had faced the #1, Easiest schedule of any team in the league so far - right? Baltimore was ranked 2nd and NE 3rd.. And when we marched into Pittsburgh - well, we all saw how that vaunted "scoring defense" did.

it could be both, unless you're asking in the context of...you know...proper football statistics terminology. :o :D

that said, you make a good point about dak's success coming against the #1 easiest schedule in the league so far.

What's silly is that you want to apply right now philosophy to a quarterback of 2014. Right now we don't know what Romo has or is. Right now we know what Dak is.

he's been practicing, he's physically unlimited, and he doesn't have alzheimer's. that means he has a better command of the offense, and he has better arm control.

fish (who is not a romo die-hard by any stretch of the imagination) was asked today why romo wasn't allowed to compete for the starting job. fish's answer was really blunt: because romo would unquestionably win the competition, which would be a problem since the team is already all-in on dak.

no sane football observer believes that dak is even close to romo's level when it comes to technique or knowledge. you stay with dak because you don't mess with a good thing. at this point, you wouldn't sit dak for rodgers.

• Like 1

As most of you know, it all starts in the trenches. Smith, Leary, Free, Martin. They are why Dak and Zeke are rookies with success. Lewan, Conklin, Kline. Murray and Mariota are superior because of them.

Also, Romo's a better QB than Dak and the decision to start Dak over a healthy Romo is the wrong decision.

i fully agree that romo is a better QB than dak is--i believe strongly that the primary reason for dak's early success is the OL, run game, and overperforming def--but the second part of your statement is wrong because it's phrased wrong.

the question is not "should dak start over romo." rather, the question is "at 8-1 and with a tremendous amount of momentum, should DAL make a personnel change?"

Also, Romo's a better QB than Dak and the decision to start Dak over a healthy Romo is the wrong decision.

Everyone keeps saying this - like it's a mathematical absolute... If one wants to argue 2014 Romo was better than 2016, okay - fair argument... But a lot has happened since 2014 - and nobody, not even Romo, knows what he has left in the tank. Maybe he is better, maybe he's not. Maybe at 36, on the mend, more fragile and slower (sorry, you can't argue physics - he would be slower) - he's not better.

Judging on the Cowboys recent history (about 20 years) they will find a way to screw this up.

Everyone keeps saying this - like it's a mathematical absolute... If one wants to argue 2014 Romo was better than 2016, okay - fair argument... But a lot has happened since 2014 - and nobody, not even Romo, knows what he has left in the tank. Maybe he is better, maybe he's not. Maybe at 36, on the mend, more fragile and slower (sorry, you can't argue physics - he would be slower) - he's not better.

that's actually backwards. romo played hurt the entire 2014 season--that's why he had to take every wednesday off. he started out the season before he was fully recovered from surgery, which meant that he could never fully heal. and then he broke his back again midseason when he got hit in the spine. he's in substantially better physical condition now than he ever was in 2014. he's fully recovered from the bone break, and has been working out, throwing, and not taking 9 games' worth of hits.

we know a lot about his current abilities, also. we watched him go through a month of camp, and he was throwing the ball as hard as ever. we watched him move around the pocket, take hits, and get back up just over 2 months ago. now granted, he might have gotten secret gangrene in his arm and had a radical change in abilities since august, but that's pretty unlikely.

Here is an excellent breakdown of Dak's current shortcomings in QB technique, complete with GIFs to illustrate concepts. It's not simply a cherry-picked selection of bad plays (any QB can look bad with the right editing), but rather a detailed analysis of patterns of poor technique (accuracy, coverage recognitions, post-snap reads, etc.).

This is not to say that Dak is bad or should be benched--just pointing out that he is having real difficulty with key facets of the QB position. Stuff like this is why I've repeatedly said that Dak is the future, but that Romo is the better QB at this point.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016/11/18/13674996/dallas-cowboys-quarterback-dak-prescott-has-a-lot-of-growing-left-to-do

and on a different and much happier note...

https://twitter.com/Marcus_Mosher/status/799713603079147521?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

if so,

:pointstosky:

Baltimore wins Sunday. Book it.

Hate much?

Baltimore brought it, and their defense is legit. But this Dallas team found a way to get it done again.

The qb who isn't as good as the older guy stepped up and threw for 300 yards and 3 tds when his team's running game wasn't there.

That was the quietest 300 yard game I've seen. Baltimore got owned, damn dirty players.

Baltimore brought it, and their defense is legit. But this Dallas team found a way to get it done again.

The qb who isn't as good as the older guy stepped up and threw for 300 yards and 3 tds when his team's running game wasn't there.

He kind of reminds me of Jim Plunkett.

the run game wasn't there? which game were you watching? DAL went for 118 yards--top 10 rushing offense numbers. and they did that against 8 and 9 man fronts, which makes things a lot easier for the passing game.

i'm happy that the team is winning, and am finding new reasons to respect dak every week (even something as seemingly trivial as him picking up his own trash). but you said it right--he's not yet as good as the older guy. and i guarantee you that he would say the same.

the run gamebut you said it right--he's not yet as good as the older guy. and i guarantee you that he would say the same.

I was watching the game were Zeke was held to under 100 yards and under a 4 ypc game. Maybe you were watching a 2014 game, the same I guess that convinced you Romo is automatically better now in 2016.

He kind of reminds me of Jim Plunkett.

that's a really interesting comp that could only have come from a raider fan.

but i think i see what you're saying. his game isn't elegant or artful, but somehow he just hangs in and gets it done. i like it.

Dez looked really good today. He's getting back to normal.

Neither of his TDs were easy plays to make.

I thought the defense struggled a little more than it has this season but they found a way to get it done.

We clearly wore them down in the 2nd half. They played us straight up in the first though.

Ravens are a good team.

I was watching the game were Zeke was held to under 100 yards and under a 4 ypc game. Maybe you were watching a 2014 game, the same I guess that convinced you Romo is automatically better now in 2016.

100yds is considered to be a good game, not an average one--zeke missed that by 3 whole yards. from a team rushing standpoint, the #10 rushing offense in the league averages 116ypg. BAL sold out to stop the run, and dared dak to beat them. the result was that DAL only had a good game running the ball (instead of a dominant one), and dak got to throw against an already injury-depleted secondary that was hung out to dry by the box stacking.

as much as it will suck to see romo is a different uniform, i can't wait to see him on a complete team like ARI or DEN. he's going to wreck the league like a viking in a church.

we know a lot about his current abilities, also. we watched him go through a month of camp, and he was throwing the ball as hard as ever. we watched him move around the pocket, take hits, and get back up just over 2 months ago. now granted, he might have gotten secret gangrene in his arm and had a radical change in abilities since august, but that's pretty unlikely.

Romo taking off during mid-week was not an "all of the sudden" reaction to his rash of injuries. That had been implemented here and there along the way - once he got older.

You mean we knew a lot of how he looked - before he went and broke his back too, minor major detail you left out... And yea. we did get to see him move around - and it was not the same Romo. If you say it was, you're swimming in Kool-Aid... And of course, he was so fleet footed, he got run down and broken from behind.

100yds is considered to be a good game, not an average one--zeke missed that by 3 whole yards.

Yea, you (and the rest) are responsible for this - you guys are the ones who set the Zeke "Bar" at outer space levels... Yea, 3.9 ypc and 97 yards on 25 carries is very pedestrian for an All World running back - who is so great (according to you) he's masking how ordinary #4 is.

100yds is considered to be a good game, not an average one--zeke missed that by 3 whole yards. from a team rushing standpoint, the #10 rushing offense in the league averages 116ypg. BAL sold out to stop the run, and dared dak to beat them. the result was that DAL only had a good game running the ball (instead of a dominant one), and dak got to throw against an already injury-depleted secondary that was hung out to dry by the box stacking.

It's going into the Thanksgiving week - how long before the "Yea, but XYZ" cards are all played out?

* First it was = Yea, but - it's preseason, wait until the real games start and he faces real packages, real schemes and full blitzes. (R8R was the Grand Marshal of this one)

* Then it was = Yea, but - just wait until he has to win on the road. ( SF, Wash, GB)

* Then it was = Yea, but - wait until he has to come back from 14 down. (SF)

* Then it was = Yea, but - wait until they are 2 scores down to a top ranked defense, in the 4th quarter. (Philly)

* Then it was = Yea, but - wait until he faces Cinci and a real front 7. (28-0 before half)

* Then it was = Yea, but - wait until he goes on the road, into a very hostile environment, has to win a comeback shoot-out. (Pitt)

* Then it was = Yea, but - wait until the running game is slowed and he has to win a game with his arm.

* Then it was = Yea, but - wait until he has to mount a game winning drive, time running out, little to zero timeouts. (Philly, Pitt)

* Then it was - Yea, but - GB was banged up, Philly has bad wrs, Roethlisberger was still recovering, Baltimore's injury depleted secondary.

How many "Yea, butt's" come in a deck? The kid faced one of (if not) the #1 ranked defense in the league. His All World rb was held to under 4 ypc and 100 yards - and the kid goes out and post 300 yards, 3 tds, 75% completions and a 127 rating.. I know, I know - yea, but...

as much as it will suck to see romo is a different uniform, i can't wait to see him on a complete team like ARI or DEN. he's going to wreck the league like a viking in a church.

He might - and if he does, good for him, wish him nothing but success.. It's not an unprecedented sight here - we all saw it with Demarcus Ware. Nobody wanted to see him go, least not from a fan or football aspect. But this is still a biz, and at the time, the right biz move was to let him go - not risk overpaying and getting locked into another bad, multi-million dollar contract to an aging player. Same with Demarco.

He gets his props. It's time to stop looking at him as a rookie QB. There is plenty of tape on him at this point and he's still getting it done. Baptism by fire works for some guys, he's one of them.

It's going into the Thanksgiving week - how long before the "yea but XYZ" cards are all played out?

* First it was = Yea, but - it's preseason, wait until the real games start and he faces real packages, real schemes and full blitzes. (R8R was the Grand Marshal of this one)

* Then it was = Yea, but - just wait until he has to win on the road. ( SF, Wash, GB)

* Then it was = Yea, but - wait until they are 2 scores down to a top ranked defense, in the 4th quarter. (Philly)

* Then it was = Yea, but - wait until he faces Cinci and a real front 7. (28-0 before half)

* Then it was = Yea, but - wait until he goes on the road, into a very hostile environment, has to win a comeback shoot-out. (Pitt)

* Then it was = Yea, but - wait until the running game is slowed and he has to win a game with his arm.

* Then it was = Yea, but - wait until he has to mount a game winning drive, time running out, little to zero timeouts. (Philly, Pitt)

* Then it was - Yea, but - GB was banged up, Philly has bad wrs, Roethlisberger was still recovering, Baltimore's injury depleted secondary.

How many "Yea, butt's" come in a deck? The kid faced one of (if not) the #1 ranked defense in the league. His All World rb was held to under 4 ypc and 100 yards - and the kid goes out and post 300 yards, 3 tds, 75% completions and a 127 rating.. I know, I know - yea, but...

You know they aren't going to stop all season long.

The people that don't believe in Dak at this point are simply irrational. He's been as good as any QB in the NFL this season.

He gets his props. It's time to stop looking at him as a rookie QB. There is plenty of tape on him at this point and he's still getting it done. Baptism by fire works for some guys, he's one of them.

That's what Philly did, looked at tape. They went at him with heavy blitzes and it worked for most of the game.

Then at the end Dak got it together and pulled out a big win.

His poise is 2nd to none.

This kid is different. During the game Prescott was taking a water break on the sidelines. He crumples up his cup, throws it at the trash container, and misses. Most NFL players would pay no mind and leave it for an attendant. Prescott walks over, picks up the cup, and throws it away. THAT was being pretty humble.

I like the kid, reminds me of a modern day Jim Plunkett. A little unorthodox delivery, a little wheels off at times, but gets the job done and done WELL. I look back at that personal foul in the Frisco game, down 14-0 and struggling at the time, as a watershed moment for his season. He's fantastic in the second half, and 4th quarter. Very unusual for a rook. What's really impressed is he's gotten Bryant involved. It'd be easy to continue relying on Elliott, Witten, and Beasley, but he's gotten Dez involved which is huge for that offense. That's the best team in the NFC and maybe all of football. Can they keep the momentum, and how do they handle adversity when/if it hits?

Judging on the Cowboys recent history (about 20 years) they will find a way to screw this up.

Lets see.

1.) Recent history. LOL. So...lol..."recent" being, the era you could find in which they haven't won a SB. Had they won a SB in 2000, but struggled only since then, your definition of "recent" would change. You'll deny it, but it's plain to see that's where you were going.

2.) Find a way to screw this up.

Screw what up? By "screw it up" do you mean "not win the Superbowl"? They likely won't win the SB. Just like every other NFL team you can name.

I bet the Patriots find a way to screw this up also, in spite of their recent success. LOL.

I have to laugh at the "simpleton psychology" the haters take toward Dallas. It grows each week. Just HOPING...yearning...for things to fall apart. That's maybe something I did when I was 20 years old. Its crazy that adults will still do it now.

Lets see.

1.) Recent history. LOL. So...lol..."recent" being, the era you could find in which they haven't won a SB. Had they won a SB in 2000, but struggled only since then, your definition of "recent" would change. You'll deny it, but it's plain to see that's where you were going.

2.) Find a way to screw this up.

Screw what up? By "screw it up" do you mean "not win the Superbowl"? They likely won't win the SB. Just like every other NFL team you can name.

I bet the Patriots find a way to screw this up also, in spite of their recent success. LOL.

I have to laugh at the "simpleton psychology" the haters take toward Dallas. It grows each week. Just HOPING...yearning...for things to fall apart. That's maybe something I did when I was 20 years old. Its crazy that adults will still do it now.

Lighten up man. It's ball busting. Even Freud said sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. But happy anniversary anyway.

You know they aren't going to stop all season long.

The people that don't believe in Dak at this point are simply irrational. He's been as good as any QB in the NFL this season.

Yeah. But who have they played? They've played one good team. The Giants. And they lost. So they are winless vs. good teams. Also, Dallas isn't a good team. Just their line is.

Judging on Jerry Jones' recent history (about 20 years) he will find a way to screw this up.

Fixed that for you pard.

Lighten up man. It's ball busting. Even Freud said sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. But happy anniversary anyway.

I get it. I just gotta go off every now and again. :cheers:

Fixed that for you pard. (RE: Jerry Jones)

I have always thought Jones was a problem, even though his desire for the Cowboys success is as much as any owner there ever was. Hiring puppets. Making personnel decisions he has no expertise in making. It seems that has gotten better lately. I think he has handed most of that off.

I haven't liked Garrett as a coach either. I've criticized him from early on. I've always said and truly believe, to be a great coach, you have to blow up every now and again. Go off. Be pissed off. Break a clipboard. He seems to lax.

I picture him saying "It's okay, we'll get it next time" when a player blows it with 2 minutes left in the game. Or saying nothing more than "Oh dag nabit" when the O-line false starts 3 plays out of 4.

I guess Landry was maybe fairly calm, and they had success with him. But I liked Johnson's and Parcell's ability to blow up.

It's going into the Thanksgiving week - how long before the "yea but XYZ" cards are all played out?

that's the nature of playing a competitive sport. it happens to everyone. homers in PA got stupid about wentz in the forst couple of weeks, while intelligent observers said "yeah but" and pointed out the areas of his game where he needed to improve. same thing happened to romo...and to peyton and brees and rodgers.

there has only been one team that shut down DAL's running game so far this season: NYG. and the giants won. when dak starts winning games when the run game is actually shut down, we'll cross that 'yeah but' off the list and look to see what remains. welcome to football--16 tests, followed by 3 more if you're good enough. as soon as you pass one, you move on to the next.

• Like 1

Yeah. But who have they played? They've played one good team. The Giants. And they lost. So they are winless vs. good teams. Also, Dallas isn't a good team. Just their line is.

They did beat a redskins team that is 6-3-1 and both teams leading the AFC North.

Also, explain how having a good offensive line counts against you. I could swear up and down that's part of the team.

This kid is different. During the game Prescott was taking a water break on the sidelines. He crumples up his cup, throws it at the trash container, and misses. Most NFL players would pay no mind and leave it for an attendant. Prescott walks over, picks up the cup, and throws it away. THAT was being pretty humble.

I like the kid, reminds me of a modern day Jim Plunkett. A little unorthodox delivery, a little wheels off at times, but gets the job done and done WELL. I look back at that personal foul in the Frisco game, down 14-0 and struggling at the time, as a watershed moment for his season. He's fantastic in the second half, and 4th quarter. Very unusual for a rook. What's really impressed is he's gotten Bryant involved. It'd be easy to continue relying on Elliott, Witten, and Beasley, but he's gotten Dez involved which is huge for that offense. That's the best team in the NFC and maybe all of football. Can they keep the momentum, and how do they handle adversity when/if it hits?

:D

I noticed that too. I said "Dak!! Don't pick up the cup, you're above that now!"

right after the game, cowboys nation tweeted the video of him missing, with the caption "only bad throw of the 2nd half".

about 30 of us all came back with comments about him cleaning up after himself.

They did beat a redskins team that is 6-3-1 and both teams leading the AFC North.

Yeah...Redskins are 6-3-1 only because of a soft schedule. Who'd they (the Redskins) beat?

See what I'm saying?