Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Dorial Green-Beckham

Maybe I should do this kind of thing more often, but it is rare I get this strong of a feeling about such a talented player available in so many leagues. In no way am I suggesting he is a must-start this week (or anytime soon for that matter), but I can see this week as being the week DGB begins his climb to becoming the #1 WR in Philly. I'm also not suggesting he's going to become the Eagles' top option even this year, just that I can see him becoming a very high-ceiling WR3 before midseason.

His snaps have increased every week and he seems convinced (based on practice this week) he's going to become a bigger part of the offense. We can't go a day w/o hearing about how good Wentz is, so DGB checks off a lot of boxes when it comes to a post-hype fantasy sleeper (maybe "underowned" is a better word?).

Thoughts? :argue:

• Like 1

I agree he has the talent. The unknown is what exactly lies between his ears.

Maybe he just wasn't the right fit for what TN wanted to do . Who knows.

I agree he has the talent. The unknown is what exactly lies between his ears.

Maybe he just wasn't the right fit for what TN wanted to do . Who knows.

I must have read at least three articles over the last week or so and all of them have a mention of Doug Pederson or Frank Reich either suggesting how well he is adapting or praising him (depends on your perspective, I guess). Just like you said, no question about the talent and more about what lies in between the ears. Based on the operation in TEN (the current coaches, not the front office), I'd be willing to bet Mularkey/Robiskie are too old school to mold their scheme around a player.

I'm gonna wait for him to have one even mediocre game at some point in his career before I go all wee wee.

To each their own. I play only in 12-team leagues with at least 18-man rosters and like to save my FAAB for players that get dropped but probably shouldn't, so I usually don't have the luxury of waiting to see the next big thing have his coming out party before taking the plunge. As I said above, I'm advising deeper-league owners to take 1-2 week shot on him and see where it goes from there. If we learned anything from him last year, he doesn't necessarily need to know the plays in order to be useful in fantasy. The good thing about this year is that he is apparently doing a good job learning the plays.

To each their own. I play only in 12-team leagues with at least 18-man rosters and like to save my FAAB for players that get dropped but probably shouldn't, so I usually don't have the luxury of waiting to see the next big thing have his coming out party before taking the plunge. As I said above, I'm advising deeper-league owners to take 1-2 week shot on him and see where it goes from there. If we learned anything from him last year, he doesn't necessarily need to know the plays in order to be useful in fantasy. The good thing about this year is that he is apparently doing a good job learning the plays.

I'm taking a lot of fliers on RBs because that's my weak area. And if I'm gonna take a spot up with a guy who hasn't done anything, it's not going to be a guy who repeatedly hasn't produced when everyone has said any number of times "this is his week". All last year was his week, week after week. I think guys like Humphries and Hogan and Patterson, all available in my 12 team 20 player roster league (until I grabbed Hogan) this week, are better bets. But good luck. :) We all need it.

I'm taking a lot of fliers on RBs because that's my weak area. And if I'm gonna take a spot up with a guy who hasn't done anything, it's not going to be a guy who repeatedly hasn't produced when everyone has said any number of times "this is his week". All last year was his week, week after week. I think guys like Humphries and Hogan and Patterson, all available in my 12 team 20 player roster league (until I grabbed Hogan) this week, are better bets. But good luck. :) We all need it.

How many times have I said this is "his week" about anyone?

Additionally, I never said this was "his week". I merely suggested this is the week it starts becoming obvious he is the clear No. 2 in Philly, with an outside shot to take over as the top guy in Philly before the season is over.

I don't believe I ever owned DBG last year and I didn't obviously draft him this year, so I'm not one of those guys that has been burned repeatedly by the guy. I just feel this week is a great time to get ahead of the curve on this guy. It's kind of my job to share my observations/opinions with the crowd when I have something to share.

FWIW, I'd rather have Hogan too. Glad I have him in the three or so leagues I do.

Additionally, I never said this was "his week". I merely suggested this is the week it starts becoming obvious he is the clear No. 2 in Philly, with an outside shot to take over as the top guy in Philly before the season is over.

Lol, that's pretty much the equivalent of saying "this is his week", albeit in a vague, get out clause kind of way.

How many times have I said this is "his week" about anyone?

I don't believe I ever owned DBG last year and I didn't obviously draft him this year, so I'm not one of those guys that has been burned repeatedly by the guy. I just feel this week is a great time to get ahead of the curve on this guy. It's kind of my job to share my observations/opinions with the crowd when I have something to share.

FWIW, I'd rather have Hogan too. Glad I have him in the three or so leagues I do.

I've never owned him either, and I have no idea how many times you personally have said anything at all. I really don't care how many times you personally have recommended him, as one, that wasn't my point at all, and two, I see no reason to value your opinion more than anyone else's. That's no insult, I just see no reason why you should be indicating to me that YOUR recommendation is going to be right when others have been wrong. Do you see how arrogantly your post comes across? "I know others have said he's due, but when have *I* said it?" It's the Internet, so I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't mean it that way.

I know your leagues are very serious and cutthroat. So are most of mine. And my opinion is that not having time to wait isn't a good reason to pull the trigger on a guy who has showed absolutely nothing other than athletic ability at any time in his career. Will I miss out on some guys that way? Sure. It's like the stock market. Buying stocks that are free falling with no indication of an uptick is a way to hit on big ones. Sometimes. But it's not a way I prefer to go.

Peace.

Lol, that's pretty much the equivalent of saying "this is his week", albeit in a vague, get out clause kind of way.

This is the week we should start getting ready to say this is the week.

Maybe I should do this kind of thing more often, but it is rare I get this strong of a feeling about such a talented player available in so many leagues. In no way am I suggesting he is a must-start this week (or anytime soon for that matter), but I can see this week as being the week DGB begins his climb to becoming the #1 WR in Philly. I'm also not suggesting he's going to become the Eagles' top option even this year, just that I can see him becoming a very high-ceiling WR3 before midseason.

His snaps have increased every week and he seems convinced (based on practice this week) he's going to become a bigger part of the offense. We can't go a day w/o hearing about how good Wentz is, so DGB checks off a lot of boxes when it comes to a post-hype fantasy sleeper (maybe "underowned" is a better word?).

Thoughts? :argue:

do you have those stats available? I'd be interested in seeing how the snap count has improved.

do you have those stats available? I'd be interested in seeing how the snap count has improved.

I should have been more clear ... snap percentages have grown.

Snaps: 25 (of 77), 33 (72), 32 (65)

Snap %: 32.5, 46, 49

Here is some Saturday night reading to back up DGB's expected increase of snaps going forward:

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2016/10/eagles_dorial_green-beckham_expects_increased_role.html

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/sports/csn/eagles/Dorial_Green-Beckham_ready_for_increased_playing_time-396349881.html

Again, to be clear ... I'm not projecting him to be the next superstar immediately or a must-start anytime soon. Just a player who has enough going for him to eventually get there.

I should have been more clear ... snap percentages have grown.

Snaps: 25 (of 77), 33 (72), 32 (65)

Snap %: 32.5, 46, 49

Here is some Saturday night reading to back up DGB's expected increase of snaps going forward:

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2016/10/eagles_dorial_green-beckham_expects_increased_role.html

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/sports/csn/eagles/Dorial_Green-Beckham_ready_for_increased_playing_time-396349881.html

Thanks, this is good information.

He's a player I was watching anyways, but at 49% of the snaps, we are at the point where he is likely to start doing things soon if that snap count improves much more.

It's funny how quick everyone wants to give up on a second round draft pick in his second year.

Now it is weird Tennessee traded him but still, he can turn things around assuming the talent is there

It's funny how quick everyone wants to give up on a second round draft pick in his second year.

Now it is weird Tennessee traded him but still, he can turn things around assuming the talent is there

New Regime. if the Coach or GM isnt a fan, they can get rid of him.

once he starts putting up huge numbers, he becomes difficult to trade away. If they feel he wont be a team player or will cause some issues with off field behaviour its better to trade him now because this regime didnt draft him.

New Regime. if the Coach or GM isnt a fan, they can get rid of him.

once he starts putting up huge numbers, he becomes difficult to trade away. If they feel he wont be a team player or will cause some issues with off field behaviour its better to trade him now because this regime didnt draft him.

The mental stuff is one reason I tend to be more skeptical of guys everyone loves solely because of their athletic ability. And by mental stuff, I don't even mean behavioral issues necessarily. But that can be a factor. I have just had a lot more success in fantasy over the years with guys with good brains and good work ethics who aren't supremely physically gifted than with 'projects'. DGB=ASJ for example. Tons of people say, not without reason, "Wait till this guy gets it together, oh man!" And tons of other people think that means "pick him up now!" when it really literally should mean "WAIT till he gets it together. IF he does."

Target numbers are great. I hope he hits, I really do. And when he does, I hope he's available for me to grab :) But he's not the sort of player I grab first. I want some game evidence.

Yaknow I think Guru is right.

And they're coming out the bye too.

Thing is they're an unconventional offense so I'm not sure what the WR1 is worth, but if you see his targets tick up to 7 or so go get him.

Again, to be clear ... I'm not projecting him to be the next superstar immediately or a must-start anytime soon. Just a player who has enough going for him to eventually get there.

Well, you make a really compelling argument there.

The mental stuff is one reason I tend to be more skeptical of guys everyone loves solely because of their athletic ability. And by mental stuff, I don't even mean behavioral issues necessarily. But that can be a factor. I have just had a lot more success in fantasy over the years with guys with good brains and good work ethics who aren't supremely physically gifted than with 'projects'. DGB=ASJ for example. Tons of people say, not without reason, "Wait till this guy gets it together, oh man!" And tons of other people think that means "pick him up now!" when it really literally should mean "WAIT till he gets it together. IF he does."

Target numbers are great. I hope he hits, I really do. And when he does, I hope he's available for me to grab :) But he's not the sort of player I grab first. I want some game evidence.

yeah, I think the right thing is to watch.

He will have a coming out party sometime this year. If the bye were in week 6 or 7, that would have been a good time to do it. but it was early.

But the word on the street is that he was traded partly because he is slow in learning the playbook. How much of that is fact and how much is fiction is something I cannot tell you, but it is entirely possible that it will take a bit longer.

if the targets continue to rise a bit and the snap count continues to rise they will, at some point make him a big part of a game plan. But before that happens, he has to have that playbook mastered. As we are only into week 5 and he got traded just before the end of the Exhibition season, he should be getting close to that point in the next 2-4 weeks. I for one, will be watching his progress.

I can see this week as being the week DGB begins his climb to becoming the #1 WR in Philly.

Not this week either?

Don't worry, keep throwing darts. You'll be a 'guru' one day.

Not this week either?

Don't worry, keep throwing darts. You'll be a 'guru' one day.

Why so hostile? Give the guy a break.

In other news DGB stinks!

This is still a team with a brand new QB at the helm.

while he had early results, teams now have film on the offense. There will be a couple of rough weeks before this offense comes together.

If DGB breaks out, it will likely be after this time.

If it happens, my guess is that it will happen between week 9 and week 12

81% of snap count...

That's not bad. The signs are there. It's just a question of when they put it together.

• Like 1

This guy will never amount to anything. Its to bad too. He has the talent, but he just doesnt seem to know how to apply it. Some kids in college only look good cuz they are going up against average or low end players. Once that playing field is equal and there is no more advantages from size and talent is equalized some of these potential stars just dont progress.

Maybe I should do this kind of thing more often,

Or not at all.

Can we file this brainstorm under Sheer Nonsense yet.

He looked horrible in the Giants game. No separation and even though he was 6 inches bigger, he didn't play bigger.

I don't think he's talented. He's just tall. That's not enough to get it done in the NFL. He doesn't get any separation.

any word what his snap count is looking like these days?