Sign in to follow this  
jgcrawfish

Kelvin Benjamin traded to the Bills

Bill barnwell gave some decent insight in his trade winners/losers article over at ESPN

He basically thinks it has to do with Benjamin's knee and Carolina getting something now for a guy they don't want to commit to

• Like 1

It's been said that Benjamin cannot get off press coverage, I heard that this year and noticed that he is nearly always lined up off the line of scrimmage. Not sure if that translates to "clearing the box" or not but apparently it limits some of his routes as an outside receiver. I think his pending free agency was more of a factor than anything. He probably falls in the category that he'll make more than he's worth, but you'll have to pay him that to keep him.

That being said McDermot surely knows his strengths and limitations so I'm sure they have plan to use him in their offense so I'd expected similar usage and with Buffalo actually having an effective ground game, he should at least be as effective as he was in Carolina.

My only concern with him as I have him in a league is what he'll be capable of on a short week this Thursday.

Eh, I just don't buy it. I mean, if a guy literally cannot end up 10 yards downfield after the snap on every play, he probably needs some physical therapy to even be walking. It's like those dreams you have, the ones where you're trying to run but can't. If he's like that, I'm amazed he was even playing :)

I'm glad the Bills GM is also refusing to release rights to Anquan Boldin.

Eh, I just don't buy it. I mean, if a guy literally cannot end up 10 yards downfield after the snap on every play, he probably needs some physical therapy to even be walking. It's like those dreams you have, the ones where you're trying to run but can't. If he's like that, I'm amazed he was even playing :)

Watched him a little this year and it doesn't seem so much like he's hurt but he's so big he's not terribly explosive. So it takes him a little longer to muscle the guy out of the way to run his route.

Incense f*** wad cam doesn't even have a few seconds back there this year he's not getting a lot of time.

Watched him a little this year and it doesn't seem so much like he's hurt but he's so big he's not terribly explosive. So it takes him a little longer to muscle the guy out of the way to run his route.

Incense f*** wad cam doesn't even have a few seconds back there this year he's not getting a lot of time.

Thanks for the input, I haven't had much chance to watch him. Still...even being a bigger guy, it'll take him still just a fraction of a second longer to get downfield. I just don't buy that excuse for helping the running game.

BUT...here's an excuse I'd buy. The GM got rid of Kelvin because he wants the coaches to focus more on the running game. It's not about Kelvin's inability to do anything, it's about the coaches' and Cam's inability to run more because Kelvin is there. I'd buy that. Take away your best WR, and maybe the coaches will say "sh!t....we need to run more often now." :)

Thanks for the input, I haven't had much chance to watch him. Still...even being a bigger guy, it'll take him still just a fraction of a second longer to get downfield. I just don't buy that excuse for helping the running game.

BUT...here's an excuse I'd buy. The GM got rid of Kelvin because he wants the coaches to focus more on the running game. It's not about Kelvin's inability to do anything, it's about the coaches' and Cam's inability to run more because Kelvin is there. I'd buy that. Take away your best WR, and maybe the coaches will say "sh!t....we need to run more often now." :)

i may be wrong here....but i think you are going to see carolina start running more sets like KC does...more misdirection...with samuel playing the tyreek hill role.....it will help open things up in the running game and maybe for mccaffrey too....

they basically went with speed guys with their first two picks and benjamin isnt a speed guy....you see how KC operated against the pats...with the gimmicky college stuff...and it worked

carolina needs to let their speed guys create pursuit and draw attention...they need to get creative with samuel and mccaffrey

they can "want to run the ball" all they want....seattle wants to run the ball like crazy too...but they cant...i dont think suddenly jon stewart is going to start to get it going unless they change some of the other stuff going on around him

i may be wrong here....but i think you are going to see carolina start running more sets like KC does...more misdirection...with samuel playing the tyreek hill role.....it will help open things up in the running game and maybe for mccaffrey too....

they basically went with speed guys with their first two picks and benjamin isnt a speed guy....you see how KC operated against the pats...with the gimmicky college stuff...and it worked

carolina needs to let their speed guys create pursuit and draw attention...they need to get creative with samuel and mccaffrey

they can "want to run the ball" all they want....seattle wants to run the ball like crazy too...but they cant...i dont think suddenly jon stewart is going to start to get it going unless they change some of the other stuff going on around him

That sounds reasonable.

I'm just saying that it doesn't strike me as accurate to say that Kelvin Benjamin was the only, or even major, thing standing in their way of doing that. It's not like he's a defensive tackle. He can run down the field almost as fast as the other receivers to create misdirection.

That sounds reasonable.

I'm just saying that it doesn't strike me as accurate to say that Kelvin Benjamin was the only, or even major, thing standing in their way of doing that. It's not like he's a defensive tackle. He can run down the field almost as fast as the other receivers to create misdirection.

im talking about getting mccaffrey and samuel out there in motion...using samuel the way kc uses tyreek...on jet sweeps and jet sweep fakes to create misdirection and overpursuit

benjamin isnt very fast....neither he and funchess are...they are essentially the same guy....teams are pressing them because they are relatively slow for the position and they are playing up the run

i think they decided that they only needed one benjamin/funchess....and they prob dont believe in benjamins knee as much and had no plan to extend him past next year...so they decided to get something for him ....and in turn maybe open up the offense...i think they need to be more creative formation wise and where they lineup mccaffrey too...everytime ive watched them they seem pretty predictable...just lining cam up in the shotgun with the back next to him....mccaffrey needs to move around out there....he needs to be lined up in a bunch of different spots.....they are getting predictable with him

Haven't watched much of the bills, is tyrod considered more accurate than cam (low bar)? Good deep ball thrower? Watkins when he actually played had some good games with tyrod but I never really watched them play together. Have to think with McCoy/tyrod run threat that there should be some one on one opportunities once Kelvin gets some of the offense down.

I think this is a good pick up for the Bills.

He's going to give Taylor a good down field target.

I bet Benjamin will be rejuvenated, and have a good season going forward.

I got no choice but to start him with Diggs and Cooks on bye. Hoping for the best.

Good call. Glad the guy I am playing this week played a guy sitting

Based on what I saw last night (1st Buffalo game I've watched this year), Tyrod creates a lot on his own. The OL stunk and his WR's and TE's are below average. I think Benjamin could have a nice 2nd half because Tyrod is going to love having a go to guy.

Thought tyrod threw a nice accurate ball when he wasn't getting sacked every other play it seemed. I feel good about Benjamin going forward.

The Ravens had Tyrod Taylor but they paid Flacco a massive amount of money and let Tyrod go to Buffalo. oops