Sign in to follow this  
IMMensaMind

Falcon Heavy launches today

Well, that was focking impressive. :o

To see the side boosters returning and landing was extremely cool. :thumbsup:

The two side boosters landing simultaneously was awesome.

Some of the coolest yes.

Screw NASA with a a geology degree, the oil companies top money for those guys all day long

Hey...it worked for Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck

There's a f*cking Tesla floating around space. Elon Musk is insane.

What an age we live in.

Some alien is going to be cruising by and go WTF. :o

How would rubber tires hold up in space?

I think it's almost done with this..

Another phase Musk was ready for failure at.

The Van Allen Belts are the next stop for the Falcon Heavy’s Tesla Roadster, but what are they? And why is this such a dangerous time for the mission? The long coast through the Van Allen Belts could last five to six hours. This leaves more things to chance, such as the fuel possibly freezing, oxygen vaporizing, and other issues that could hurt the rocket’s ability to reach trans-Mars injection. Problems at that stage might mean that the Roadster doesn’t escape Earth’s orbit but burns up in the atmosphere instead. Or it might just end up orbiting Earth for a while. But why are these belts so dangerous?

https://heavy.com/tech/2018/02/van-allen-belts-all-about-the-falcon-heavy-teslas-next-stop/

Should be exiting 0242 UTC (twenty mins from now), and there should be an escape burn.

Let him piss his money away on crappy car companies and rockets, it is a free country. It is a shame he couldn't stay focused on battery technology. He may have made an actual difference.

The guy is sending stuff into space. You'll just have to deal with your only lasting 20 minutes.

That live feed tapped out so maybe it didn't make it through the Van Allen Belts.

Live feed was posted 5 hrs ago and up for two hours, sounds like it would have been almost the middle of the belts.

Comment from someone watching: Anyone notice the foil or metal casing rippling at

? I don't know what's happening there. Thermal expansion & contraction? Ice particle (from the thrusters hitting the craft as it turns) collisions? Internal leaking?

OR the belts were just too much for the feed.

Based on reports from the LA area it seems like the burn was at 0230 UTC, as Tesla/Falcon passed over SpaceX's Southern California headquarters

@planet4589

There's a f*cking Tesla floating around space. Elon Musk is insane.

What an age we live in.

This is what I was talking about that made me laugh while watching the launch :lol:

The burn just a bit ago as it headed into solar orbit was seen from CO. Seen from Santa Barbara. Recently seen heading SE from Phoenix. I definitely missed it.

Am I the only one watching hoping something out there approaches and takes this car?

Just to freak everyone the fock out.

• Like 1

Am I the only one watching hoping something out there approaches and takes this car?

Just to freak everyone the fock out.

Am I the only one hoping the guy in the car is actually alive?

If that's the case let's hope it's a woman and she hits something in outer space. Just for the irony.

Somebody was hoping it was Chuck Schumer.

Really OT but this is embarrassing. It's not most women, but the 'some women' that are acting like little kids...pretty cringe-worthy: https://twitter.com/indigirl/status/961089284848615427

If it had been starwoman it would have been interpreted as a metaphor for the dispensability of women. There is no way to win. Especially now that starman had his destination updated to oblivion 6.5 hours into his trip.

Yep. Still could. Already got my degree so it wouldnt be hard to take a few more classes and get a second degree so I could get hired there.

What about your dooshability, I mean disability?

So our female virgin religious freak has the most post in this thread. Me thinks CH is back. Pay up you focking welcher! :mad:

So our female virgin religious freak has the most post in this thread. Me thinks CH is back. Pay up you focking welcher! :mad:

Not CH but there is a joke in the virgin going GF on a rocket thread. I felt like that the whole time while posting, and scouting Twitter, etc, last night. Momentarily obsessed but there was no company :(