Sign in to follow this  
MTSkiBum

Myth Busted - you do make new braincells

Aging brains, the researchers showed, produce just as many new cells as younger brains do.

"When I went to medical school, they used to teach us that the brain stops making new cells," said lead study author Dr. Maura Boldrini, a neurobiologist at Columbia University.

https://www.livescience.com/62227-aging-brain-new-cells.html

I remember being taught this is science class as a kid and i think it was a scare tactic of the DARE campaign, "Don't do drugs because it will kill all your braincells and you do not make new ones."

by swimming in Walden Pond

Most facts we learned growing up are myths. I still know college educated adults who think the tongue map is real, we only use 10% of our brains and many other assorted debunked things our moms taught us. Try to tell them otherwise or show internet proof and they will source shame you and defend them to the death.

Most facts we learned growing up are myths. I still know college educated adults who think the tongue map is real, we only use 10% of our brains and many other assorted debunked things our moms taught us. Try to tell them otherwise or show internet proof and they will source shame you and defend them to the death.

Link?

Serious answer? It may not be so much about new brain cells as the prevalence of Tau proteins negating their effectiveness.

My mom was the worst at this crap. And she was a nurse. But she was a nurse like digby's a nurse. More of a bedpan kind of nurse.

Hell, she kept saltpeter around. Most of you guys will have to look that up as to the corresponding wives tale.

But she bought into all of it lock Stock and Barrel. Wet hair makes you sick, 30 minutes after eating for swimming, cracking your knuckles gives you arthritis, I mean, literally, any old wives tale you can think of she probably believed.

Idiot.

So there's hope for Wiff and Sho?

Hell, giving me more brain cells is like giving the Mojave more sand.

Hell, giving me more brain cells is like giving the Mojave more sand.

Because most of it isn't being used anyway? :dunno:

My mom was the worst at this crap. And she was a nurse. But she was a nurse like digby's a nurse. More of a bedpan kind of nurse.

Hell, she kept saltpeter around. Most of you guys will have to look that up as to the corresponding wives tale.

But she bought into all of it lock Stock and Barrel. Wet hair makes you sick, 30 minutes after eating for swimming, cracking your knuckles gives you arthritis, I mean, literally, any old wives tale you can think of she probably believed.

Idiot.

I prefer young wives tails. :wub: