Sign in to follow this  
Cloaca du jour

Just bought this

1 hour ago, Cloaca du jour said:

I've had mine for a few years now and love it.  I cook brunch on it for anywhere from 8-20 people just about every Sunday.  It's also great for searing meat (a flat sear is superior to a grill sear and if you don't agree, fight me). 

A few tips:

• Season the hell out of it before you cook anything at all on it.
  • Make sure you keep it level.  If not, the used oil/grease will not drain properly.
  • Get a thermometer for it until you get used to controlling temps on it.
  • Thanks 1

You're gonna focking love it!

Have mine at the lake.  Last weekend we did a late night omelet bar complete with hash browns, extra bacon and toast.  Yes, you can griddle up toast on it.  This week end we'll be doing smash burgers with sautéed onions and bacon. 

Using it as a hibachi grill for fried rice with land, sea and air is awesome too. 

Tons of videos on youtube to get ideas from.

Going to try caramel corn on mine at some point this summer. 

I’ve thought about getting one of those except a table top one. Always said when I actually buy a house I’ll make sure to have one installed in the kitchen. Not for pancakes but for things like hash browns (like the kind from Waffle House) and fried rice. Would make cooking eggs and stuff a lot easier as well 

5 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

I’ve thought about getting one of those except a table top one. Always said when I actually buy a house I’ll make sure to have one installed in the kitchen. Not for pancakes but for things like hash browns (like the kind from Waffle House) and fried rice. Would make cooking eggs and stuff a lot easier as well 

I would love one of those here. Wonder if they sell sh!t like that on taobao...

3 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I would love one of those here. Wonder if they sell sh!t like that on taobao...

Not sure how China is but to be sure since most of that sh1t is made there they HAVE to have it right? Lol 

pretty good for misc sandwiches, sauteing, burgers, etc

The two things I hate cooking in the house are eggs and beef.  Would like this. Like to know about grease trap.

5 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

Not sure how China is but to be sure since most of that sh1t is made there they HAVE to have it right? Lol 

You would think so. But a lot of stuff is made here, sent straight to the free trade zone, and shipped out. If it is sold here, it is taxed as an import. It's focking stupid. 

3 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

You would think so. But a lot of stuff is made here, sent straight to the free trade zone, and shipped out. If it is sold here, it is taxed as an import. It's focking stupid. 

Wow. That’s crazy. Had no idea it was like that there. You would think not only would you be able to get it, but that you could get it cheaper since they wouldn’t have to pay for it to be shipped 

8 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Wow. That’s crazy. Had no idea it was like that there. You would think not only would you be able to get it, but that you could get it cheaper since they wouldn’t have to pay for it to be shipped 

Usually not. For example, iPhones are made in zhengzhou, the city I used to live in. But they are "imported" because it is an "American product." They are much more expensive here than in the states.

Now yeah. You want cheap crap? Knock offs? You can get all you want of that for cheap as hell.

And the fee good Chinese products, like Huawei and Xiomi phones and laptops, are cheaper here than in places like the US.

But most "brand name" Western stuff is more expensive here.

I have learned what to buy here, and what to buy elsewhere.  

5 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Usually not. For example, iPhones are made in zhengzhou, the city I used to live in. But they are "imported" because it is an "American product." They are much more expensive here than in the states.

Now yeah. You want cheap crap? Knock offs? You can get all you want of that for cheap as hell.

And the fee good Chinese products, like Huawei and Xiomi phones and laptops, are cheaper here than in places like the US.

But most "brand name" Western stuff is more expensive here.

I have learned what to buy here, and what to buy elsewhere.  

What about ordering online? Is it cheaper for you to order stuff from online and have it shipped to you (even if it comes from China) than it is to just buy it outright there in china? 

3 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

What about ordering online? Is it cheaper for you to order stuff from online and have it shipped to you (even if it comes from China) than it is to just buy it outright there in china? 

I cannot have things sent to me from abroad. At least not anymore. My mom used to occasionally send me packages. The last one has been stuck in customs for six months. Apparently you have to have a Chinese ID now.

But yeah, e commerce is very developed here. We probably receive 20 packages a week. My wife gets all her clothes and makeup and crap. We order lots of grocery items online, just because it's easier to have it delivered than to go across town and haul it back.

Cheaper... Usually yeah. But you have to be careful for fakes and stuff. They have a service which basically translates taobao into English and then orders things for you more or less. They figured out that while foreigners are a small part of the population, they make good money, and don't mind spending every bit of it.

I even recently discovered an english language online liquor store. You can order IPAs, wine, spirits, whatever. Right to your door. That's pretty convenient. 

My biggest problem is finding clothes and especially shoes that fit me at any price. If I am going to white people land, I usually bring an empty bag to fill. Bought a lot of shoes when we were in Israel. When I go home this summer, I will fly home with a completely empty large suitcase. 

23 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I cannot have things sent to me from abroad. At least not anymore. My mom used to occasionally send me packages. The last one has been stuck in customs for six months. Apparently you have to have a Chinese ID now.

But yeah, e commerce is very developed here. We probably receive 20 packages a week. My wife gets all her clothes and makeup and crap. We order lots of grocery items online, just because it's easier to have it delivered than to go across town and haul it back.

Cheaper... Usually yeah. But you have to be careful for fakes and stuff. They have a service which basically translates taobao into English and then orders things for you more or less. They figured out that while foreigners are a small part of the population, they make good money, and don't mind spending every bit of it.

I even recently discovered an english language online liquor store. You can order IPAs, wine, spirits, whatever. Right to your door. That's pretty convenient. 

My biggest problem is finding clothes and especially shoes that fit me at any price. If I am going to white people land, I usually bring an empty bag to fill. Bought a lot of shoes when we were in Israel. When I go home this summer, I will fly home with a completely empty large suitcase. 

Dam dude. That’s crazy. Can’t believe a package from your parents has been stuck  customs for that long. Of course, I hear from both you and others that China really is strict when it comes to a lot of things. Don’t they only allow like a small number of foreign films to be shown in their country a year? 

9 hours ago, wiffleball said:

The two things I hate cooking in the house are eggs and beef.  Would like this. Like to know about grease trap.

The old versions drained in the front right corner and leaked down the leg making a mess.  They fixed it and now drains in the center backside. The trap hangs back there and is easily cleaned.

1 minute ago, NorthernVike said:

The old versions drained in the front right corner and leaked down the leg making a mess.  They fixed it and now drains in the center backside. The trap hangs back there and is easily cleaned.

Back when I lived in Maryland we would get snowed in some days. The table top version made THE best pancakes, eggs, and bacon. Loved when it snowed cause my dad would always bring it out 

1 hour ago, Djgb13 said:

Dam dude. That’s crazy. Can’t believe a package from your parents has been stuck  customs for that long. Of course, I hear from both you and others that China really is strict when it comes to a lot of things. Don’t they only allow like a small number of foreign films to be shown in their country a year? 

Yeah. And it's pretty much just the superhero stuff. And they censor the nudity and stuff. Game of thrones on china sites is way shorter than the real show. 

It's getting stricter and stricter. Banking is one way they make life difficult. Sending money out is a massive pita. Opening an account as a foreigner takes about 3 hours (I have 5 of them.)

Next week, taking the wife to Guangzhou (maybe a 2-3 hour drive) to go to the US embassy for her visa interview. If she gets approved, they will keep her passport. Getting back without one is going to be a trick. Can't get on a train or bus without one (in theory anyway.) May end up with a really focking expensive cab ride on my hands.

18 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Yeah. And it's pretty much just the superhero stuff. And they censor the nudity and stuff. Game of thrones on china sites is way shorter than the real show. 

It's getting stricter and stricter. Banking is one way they make life difficult. Sending money out is a massive pita. Opening an account as a foreigner takes about 3 hours (I have 5 of them.)

Next week, taking the wife to Guangzhou (maybe a 2-3 hour drive) to go to the US embassy for her visa interview. If she gets approved, they will keep her passport. Getting back without one is going to be a trick. Can't get on a train or bus without one (in theory anyway.) May end up with a really focking expensive cab ride on my hands.

Sh1t. Here I was wanting to visit China one day but it sounds like a pain in the ass

21 hours ago, Kanil said:

I've had mine for a few years now and love it.  I cook brunch on it for anywhere from 8-20 people just about every Sunday.  It's also great for searing meat (a flat sear is superior to a grill sear and if you don't agree, fight me). 

A few tips:

• Season the hell out of it before you cook anything at all on it.
  • Make sure you keep it level.  If not, the used oil/grease will not drain properly.
  • Get a thermometer for it until you get used to controlling temps on it.

Did the seasoning 4 timed befor first use....picking up an infrared thermometer on my way home from work..👍..check on the leveling thing...havent moved to porch yet.  Just used it in the garage lol...couldnt wait. Waiting for cover to come from amazon.

Made shrimp fried rice...not to bad for first time.  Need to  better at seasoning.  Making burgers tonight

15 hours ago, wiffleball said:

They moved the grease trap to the back middle in the new model.  You can also buy aluminum liners for easy cleanout

After some rearch...i didnt buy the one with the new accessory table.  Has a cutting board...trashbag and paper towel holder.  50 bucks more.   A guy was demonstrating and said the heat coming out the side made that cutting board unusable during cooking.

24 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Made shrimp fried rice...not to bad for first time.  Need to  better at seasoning.  Making burgers tonight

When I do rice for asian dishes.... I use a little furikake seasoning for it.

4 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

When I do rice for asian dishes.... I use a little furikake seasoning for it.

Furikake?  Like bukake but from the other end?

Haha...no seriously..is that the seaweed stuff ive seen used?

5 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Furikake?  Like bukake but from the other end?

Haha...no seriously..is that the seaweed stuff ive seen used?

"a little bukake for the wife. a little furikake for the rice."

Yeah... used in japanese and pacific rim cooking

BIL cooked up some sliced sausage with peppers and onions on one of these today. DAM did it taste good