Sign in to follow this  
Utilit99

Baltimore Museum Of Art Will Buy Works By Women Only Next Year

Looks like true art is not about the actual art itself, it's about the race and gender of who creates it I guess. Good thing Hussein's wife's portrait is now included in their  collection.

It's funny that the article talks nothing about the actual contributions the non-white non-male artists are providing to the long history of art throughout the ages. That would actually take some thought. 🤔

The Baltimore Museum of Art has decided to make a bold step to correct that imbalance: next year, the museum will purchase only works made by female-identifying artists.

"This how you raise awareness and shift the identity of an institution," museum director Christopher Bedford told The Baltimore Sun. "You don't just purchase one painting by a female artist of color and hang it on the wall next to a painting by Mark Rothko. To rectify centuries of imbalance, you have to do something radical."......

......A portrait by Sarah Miriam Peale was given to the museum in 1916, two years after the museum's founding, becoming the first work in its collection by a female artist. Over the last several decades, the museum has added many major works by women, and its collection includes works by Mary Cassatt, Cindy Sherman and Amy Sherald, known for her portrait of Michelle Obama.

A 2019 study of 18 major U.S. art museums found that 87% of artists in their collections are men, and 85% of the artists are whiteAnother study earlier this year found that up to 10% of art galleries don't have a single woman among the artists they represent......

.....The BMA isn't alone in working to correct this longstanding gender imbalance. The National Museum of Women in the Arts in Washington has 5,500 objects in its collections and presents 10 exhibits featuring female artists each year.

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/19/780935457/baltimore-museum-of-art-will-only-buy-works-by-women-next-year?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=news

"Female identifying".  Isn't that going to piss off the non binary freaks?  :lol:

23 minutes ago, DonS said:

"Female identifying".  Isn't that going to piss off the non binary freaks?  :lol:

I'm for everyone being equal. Just accept being equal and stop asking for shlt. If you are black, just stop whining about being black. If you are a woman, just stop bltching about having periods. 

Oh, and I once went to the Georgia O'keeffe museum a few years ago. Don't waste your fvcking money on that crap. She's a joke in the art world. Just because she paints some vagina flowers, that doesn't constitute being good. She was not a good looking woman, and I'm guessing she is painting what she wished her own vagina looked like. 

When I think of the arts, I immediately think of Baltimore. I picture those drawings from the beginning of Good Times. 

7 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

When I think of the arts, I immediately think of Baltimore. I picture those drawings from the beginning of Good Times. 

Hey. JJ was an arteest. 

I once went to a seminar about art and the fact that we tend to only view art as good if it's through the lens of the rich. Meaning, the rich have been the ones who could commission and buy the art, therefore their lifestyles are depicted. We don't usually want the poor on our walls. There is a whole documentary on Basquiat and how his art was rejected due to him not being the right kind of artist. 

Think of how long it took for people to view graffiti as art. Now we have Banksy. (sp?)

10 hours ago, peenie said:

I once went to a seminar about art and the fact that we tend to only view art as good if it's through the lens of the rich. Meaning, the rich have been the ones who could commission and buy the art, therefore their lifestyles are depicted. We don't usually want the poor on our walls. There is a whole documentary on Basquiat and how his art was rejected due to him not being the right kind of artist. 

Think of how long it took for people to view graffiti as art. Now we have Banksy. (sp?)

We always say graffiti is art.  It’s a shame many used public property as their canvas. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, peenie said:

I still don't view graffiti as art.

Destroying property is never art. If that were the case, every toilet I visit after eating a burrito is a gallery.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, peenie said:

Not all graffiti is art, just as not all paint on canvas is art.  Some people just don't have it.

17 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Not all graffiti is art, just as not all paint on canvas is art.  Some people just don't have it.

I agree.

The Whole Foods near me closed down (so sad) and some morons sprayed graffiti all over it. It's such an eye sore now. It's not even good enough to call graffiti. It's more like that gang tag crap.

Banksy

More Banksy

Last Banksy

3 minutes ago, nobody said:

Any time a whole foods shuts down, that's a good thing.

If the whole foods was quickly covered in graffiti then perhaps it wasn't in the right neighborhood to sustain it's business.  Unless they had a fine selection of artisinal 40oz malt liquors. 

32 minutes ago, DonS said:

If the whole foods was quickly covered in graffiti then perhaps it wasn't in the right neighborhood to sustain it's business.  Unless they had a fine selection of artisinal 40oz malt liquors. 

That is exactly what I was thinking. If they sold a nice 2019 Colt 45 for example. :thumbsup: