vuduchile

Have you been paying attention to the sports card market?

8 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Don’t know hockey at all.  We have some new packs and boxes, but no singles at all. Just not much demand for some reason.  

If you have Upper Deck series 2 with young guns, I'd like to buy from you instead of Ebay. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, joneo said:

If you have Upper Deck series 2 with young guns, I'd like to buy from you instead of Ebay. 

We have them.  I’ll msg you when I get to the shop tomorrow.  We’re closed today. Thanks. 

• Like 1

Just now, vuduchile said:

Yep

Got it, thanks.  I'll put up a breakers stream.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 7:57 AM, vuduchile said:

We have them.  I’ll msg you when I get to the shop tomorrow.  We’re closed today. Thanks. 

:bench: :P:D

UFC Prizm Hobby Boxes sold out at $1450/box   - wholesale -$114/box.      12X return in 1 week

Select Football Hobby Boxes sold out at $1650/box. -wholesale $190/box     8X return in 1 week

Bowman Baseball Hobby Boxes sold out at $329/box  wholesale - $89/box    3X return in 1 week

Formula 1 Chrome Sapphire selling for $850 - direct cost was $99 on Tue.       8X return in 2 days

Chronicles Football will sell out by the weekend at $549/box  - wholesale $133/box  4X return in 1 week

Took a shot and bought a collection for $300.  Found a '53 Jackie Robinson,  a Walter Payton rookie and a Joe Morgan Rookie.  Depending on grades from SGC, - will net $4700 for the collection when sold off.  15X return in 2 months.

That's just 2 weeks of the product releases we've bought from from Panini and Topps.

Crypto Schmypto.  

4 hours ago, vuduchile said:

UFC Prizm Hobby Boxes sold out at $1450/box   - wholesale -$114/box.      12X return in 1 week

Select Football Hobby Boxes sold out at $1650/box. -wholesale $190/box     8X return in 1 week

Bowman Baseball Hobby Boxes sold out at $329/box  wholesale - $89/box    3X return in 1 week

Formula 1 Chrome Sapphire selling for $850 - direct cost was $99 on Tue.       8X return in 2 days

Chronicles Football will sell out by the weekend at $549/box  - wholesale $133/box  4X return in 1 week

Took a shot and bought a collection for $300.  Found a '53 Jackie Robinson,  a Walter Payton rookie and a Joe Morgan Rookie.  Depending on grades from SGC, - will net $4700 for the collection when sold off.  15X return in 2 months.

That's just 2 weeks of the product releases we've bought from from Panini and Topps.

Crypto Schmypto.  

How’s the flooring business?

14 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

How’s the flooring business?

Steady, but more challenging.  Domestic and Import shipping delays on lost of stuff.  Carpet pad shortage on the horizon.

Here's a pet peeve: People who are selling sports cards on Ebay and take the shittyist pictures. They have glare from the card holder. or, the card holder has all these marks on it and you can't differentiate if it's the holder or the card with the marks. or the picture is from 12 feet away and you can't see any particulars. These people are either idiots or trying to hide something. Hate those fockers!!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, joneo said:

Here's a pet peeve: People who are selling sports cards on Ebay and take the shittyist pictures. They have glare from the card holder. or, the card holder has all these marks on it and you can't differentiate if it's the holder or the card with the marks. or the picture is from 12 feet away and you can't see any particulars. These people are either idiots or trying to hide something. Hate those fockers!!

And another thing......people who take pictures of their cards with a backround color the same as the card's edges. FOCKTARDS!!!!!!

Target is no longer selling retail in stores as of tomorrow.

50 minutes ago, hdaddy said:

Target is no longer selling retail in stores as of tomorrow.

Yep.  The craziness continues.  

Some anecdotal sales data from the front lines of the sports card retail sector:  

Our shop sales:

2021 Avg Daily Sales vs. Prior Month Avg. Daily Sales

Jan. +26%

Feb. +17%

March +91%

April + 31%

May to date +87%

• Like 1

Interview with Panini America Head of Sales talking about the Target and Wal Mart situation.  Good stuff here. 

Joined eBay late in 2002. Bought all kinds of Randy Moss rookie & insert cards. Did that for about 3 years. 

Question: Back then, it seemed like BGS graded cards sold for a premium over PSA.

In 2021, as I've been starting to sell some of my Moss cards, it looks like the opposite is true.

Was there some type of scandal related to Beckett grading that caused the change ?

On 5/26/2021 at 10:08 PM, easilyscan said:

Joined eBay late in 2002. Bought all kinds of Randy Moss rookie & insert cards. Did that for about 3 years. 

Question: Back then, it seemed like BGS graded cards sold for a premium over PSA.

In 2021, as I've been starting to sell some of my Moss cards, it looks like the opposite is true.

Was there some type of scandal related to Beckett grading that caused the change ?

My theory is people prefer a 10 grade that PSA uses, instead of the 9.5 and subgrades because 10 is out of 10 and they, especially new "investors" think the card is perfect,  even though in reality PSA 10s are not always perfect.  There's also a perception that PSA grades harder.  BGS did lower their grading standards but that happened like back in about 2003.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2021 at 11:08 PM, easilyscan said:

1 minute ago, Gepetto said:

My theory is people prefer a 10 grade that PSA uses, instead of the 9.5 and subgrades because 10 is out of 10 and they, especially new "investors" think the card is perfect,  even though in reality PSA 10s are not always perfect.  There's also a perception that PSA grades harder.  BGS did lower their grading standards but that happened like back in about 2003.

Agreed with Gepetto.   A 10 is better than a 9.5 in the minds of most people.   

Grading is a mess right now.  Beckett just suspended all but premium level services today.   PSA did the same awhile back.   

We have hundreds of cards in limbo right now.  

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

My grades go up to 11.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Agreed with Gepetto.   A 10 is better than a 9.5 in the minds of most people.   

Grading is a mess right now.  Beckett just suspended all but premium level services today.   PSA did the same awhile back.   

We have hundreds of cards in limbo right now.  

Yikes

Lots of single prices have fallen back to earth after the huge run up late 2020 and early 2021. 

Sealed wax is still on fire.   Demand is sky high and supply is nowhere near catching up.  

Local and regional shows are humming again as we emerge from COVID restrictions.   

The National show in Chicago at the end of July is expected to set all time attendance records   

Our avg. daily sales for June are +3% over May. 

Have fun with it!  

• Like 1

Found 6 Donruss basketball 30-card packs at my local CVS today at $8/pack. Decided to rip them and got a Siddiq Bey signature series, a LeMelo Ball rated rookie and an Anthony Edwards rated rookie.  some nice base cards (Giannis, Doncic,Zion,)  Lots of others I don't know since I don't follow the NBA. I think I made a good purchase! 

Big news day for the Sports Card industry yesterday:

I'm not a fan of Goldin being pulled under the same corporate umbrella as PSA.  Leaves them open for criticism, accusations of favoritism, and creating an unfair competitive advantage.

Goldin is also teaming up with Barstool.  Meh.

CCG got a huge investment from Blackstone. Good for them, I guess.  Where the hell are the 500+ cards I sent them 3 months ago? 

Anyway, more big money pouring into the category. 

I believe a lot of this is due to the NIL ruling for college athletes.  There are close to a half million student athletes out there.  The mad scramble to sign and monetize the biggest stars has begun.  Buckle up.  

The National Sports Collectors Convention is being held next week in the Chicago Burbs. 

The VIP and Super VIP tickets have been sold out for awhile.  

Attendance is expected to be 100K plus. 

That’s a lot of nerds buying and selling little pictures of men.  

Huge news for the industry over the past couple of weeks. 

The Biggest: 

Fanatics has grabbed the licensing agreements from MLB, MLB Player's Union, NBA, NBA Player's Union and the NFL Player's Union in the past week.  And it looks like the NFL will be following suit any day now.  That means, that over the next 4 years, Topps and Panini will lose all their licensing rights for those leagues.  

It is being reported that the MLB licensing deal is 10X the previous deal Topps had.  Topps was scheduled to go public via their SPAC this week.  That has now been scuttled.  Meanwhile, Fanatics, previously valued at $18B may be eying and IPO of their own.  

https://sports.yahoo.com/topps-mulls-options-amid-claims-040109785.html

https://clutchpoints.com/panini-ousted-fanatics-swoops-in-groundbreaking-nba-card-deal/

Another new record card sale was recorded last week.  Sold for $6.6M,  The  Honus Wagner T206 graded an SGC 3 is now the highest priced card in history.  

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32016760/the-honus-wagner-t206-sports-card-goat-always-be

Buckle up folks.  This thing is just getting started.  

• Thanks 1

On 8/23/2021 at 1:32 PM, vuduchile said:

Huge news for the industry over the past couple of weeks. 

The Biggest: 

Fanatics has grabbed the licensing agreements from MLB, MLB Player's Union, NBA, NBA Player's Union and the NFL Player's Union in the past week.  And it looks like the NFL will be following suit any day now.  That means, that over the next 4 years, Topps and Panini will lose all their licensing rights for those leagues.  

It is being reported that the MLB licensing deal is 10X the previous deal Topps had.  Topps was scheduled to go public via their SPAC this week.  That has now been scuttled.  Meanwhile, Fanatics, previously valued at $18B may be eying and IPO of their own.  

https://sports.yahoo.com/topps-mulls-options-amid-claims-040109785.html

https://clutchpoints.com/panini-ousted-fanatics-swoops-in-groundbreaking-nba-card-deal/

Another new record card sale was recorded last week.  Sold for $6.6M,  The  Honus Wagner T206 graded an SGC 3 is now the highest priced card in history.  

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32016760/the-honus-wagner-t206-sports-card-goat-always-be

Buckle up folks.  This thing is just getting started.  

Everyone is n***** rich right now.  When the dust settles.....I mean, each player has 100 variations of the same card.  At some point saturation will take over.

Now, the rarest of all cards, Honus, yes, when stock markets and crypto markets are up 100% people will spend "record" money on one of a kind items.  When people aren't so flush, I suspect prices on collectibles will come back to earth.  Like in 3-5 years or less.

On 8/25/2021 at 2:34 PM, Alias Detective said:

Everyone is n***** rich right now.  When the dust settles.....I mean, each player has 100 variations of the same card.  At some point saturation will take over.

Now, the rarest of all cards, Honus, yes, when stock markets and crypto markets are up 100% people will spend "record" money on one of a kind items.  When people aren't so flush, I suspect prices on collectibles will come back to earth.  Like in 3-5 years or less.

So what has been happening since 2021?  Have prices fallen much?   I only ask because back during the lockdown people paid good money for just about every shark tooth I posted.  I know it is not the same but demand for collectibles are often similar. In 2020 and 2021 my sales were up an average of like 40% over 2019 and I did nothing different.  2022 was still good but fell short of 2021and this year we are down 25% or so from last year.    My costs are very low so it is not a problem but those sales numbers were pretty sweet.   When you guys were posting about all doing well I was tempted to jump in but I did not know enough and did not have the time. 

2 hours ago, Bill E. said:

So what has been happening since 2021?  Have prices fallen much?   I only ask because back during the lockdown people paid good money for just about every shark tooth I posted.  I know it is not the same but demand for collectibles are often similar. In 2020 and 2021 my sales were up an average of like 40% over 2019 and I did nothing different.  2022 was still good but fell short of 2021and this year we are down 25% or so from last year.    My costs are very low so it is not a problem but those sales numbers were pretty sweet.   When you guys were posting about all doing well I was tempted to jump in but I did not know enough and did not have the time. 

Prices for a lot of cards have come way down.  Spring of 2021 was the peak.  It's difficult to sell now unless you just list as an auction on ebay which is risky and likely not the best way to get the best price.  Cards aren't selling well and smartly a lot of people aren't even trying to sell right now.  New cards of top rookies are high when first released and they come down some after a few weeks.  Way fewer buyers.  I'd say it was a bubble that popped and cards have basically crashed.

• Thanks 2