Jump to content
vuduchile

Have you been paying attention to the sports card market?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Alias Detective said:

To those who are collectors.  Would you sell a Mariano Rivera rookie, at these inflated prices, with the intent of gambling on cards of rookies?

What would you do?

Take it for what it's worth, but now is a bad time to buy young baseball prospects.  The pattern I've seen with both basketball and football looks to be repeating in baseball.  Lots of pre season hype for Tatis, Soto, Acuna, Robert, Franco, Dominguez and others.  They need to come out hot and stay hot to sustain current prices IMO.  Most of them won't and prices will drop accordingly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Take it for what it's worth, but now is a bad time to buy young baseball prospects.  The pattern I've seen with both basketball and football looks to be repeating in baseball.  Lots of pre season hype for Tatis, Soto, Acuna, Robert, Franco, Dominguez and others.  They need to come out hot and stay hot to sustain current prices IMO.  Most of them won't and prices will drop accordingly.  

Thank you.  What Peyton is the one to own?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PSA'd backlog of cards is over 10 million.     No bubble here

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Collecting PSA 10 would be overpaying.  Sell PSA 10's now or over the next year is my advice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just noticed the Shaquille Stadium Club Beam Team card is at a good price. First, I have fo find the batch of cards that are opened. I know I have a couple of them. I also have a bunch of unopened packs that I might have to rip. Should I rip? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

 

"For decades, sports collectibles have represented a multi-billion dollar category, with most estimates suggesting it’s a $5 billion to $10 billion industry. But that’s not telling the real story. The market is undergoing a cultural, technological, and financial facelift that could not only dramatically expand the size of the category but catapult collectibles into the tops of minds and portfolios of sports fans all across the world"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In October I started on a quest to acquire all baseball rookie cards of significance from my childhood that I did not previously have. I started in 1980 with Rickey Henderson and went to 1992/1993 and cut it off at Mike Piazza. I never got into the graded card scene, so I was buying raw cards off ebay for decent prices. 5 months later I have almost completed the journey only need the following: 

1982 Topps Traded Cal Ripken

1983 Topps Traded Darryl Strawberry

1984 Fleer Update Roger Clemens

1984 Fleer Update Kirby Puckett

1984 Fleer Update Dwight Gooden

Even ungraded versions of these can be expensive, so I keep hoping to get lucky in auctions. 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bostonlager said:

In October I started on a quest to acquire all baseball rookie cards of significance from my childhood that I did not previously have. I started in 1980 with Rickey Henderson and went to 1992/1993 and cut it off at Mike Piazza. I never got into the graded card scene, so I was buying raw cards off ebay for decent prices. 5 months later I have almost completed the journey only need the following: 

1982 Topps Traded Cal Ripken

1983 Topps Traded Darryl Strawberry

1984 Fleer Update Roger Clemens

1984 Fleer Update Kirby Puckett

1984 Fleer Update Dwight Gooden

Even ungraded versions of these can be expensive, so I keep hoping to get lucky in auctions. 

 

 

 

Good luck and have fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

Im buying a Ruth autograph tomorrow 

Card, photo, cut?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So here's what I figure:

In the 92 Stadium Club Basketball, the "Beam Team" inserts were very limited: 1 to a box. The current price of a box of series 2 is $700. (you might get them cheaper but when you throw in S&H + tax, it's easily $700)

There were 21 cards in the Beam Team set so basically, it would take you 2 cases (24 boxes)  just to get a Shaquille Beam Team. (Current price in PSA 10 is $17,500) https://www.psacard.com/smrpriceguide/basketball-card-values/1992-stadium-club-beam-team/1737

To get a statistical shot at the card would cost you $16,800...

But hold on..not every card is a PSA 10.  Actually, 1 in every 16 cards of Shaquille submitted is a "10" https://www.psacard.com/pop/basketball-cards/1992/stadium-club-beam-team/46593

That means it would COST you $268,600 to statistically get a PSA 10 Shaquille. :shocking:

Moral of the story: Don't buy boxes...Buy singles!  Here's a current auction for a PSA 10: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Stadium-Club-Beam-Team-Shaquille-ONeal-ROOKIE-RC-21-PSA-10-GEM-MINT/143983845378

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2021 at 11:10 AM, bostonlager said:

In October I started on a quest to acquire all baseball rookie cards of significance from my childhood that I did not previously have. I started in 1980 with Rickey Henderson and went to 1992/1993 and cut it off at Mike Piazza. I never got into the graded card scene, so I was buying raw cards off ebay for decent prices. 5 months later I have almost completed the journey only need the following: 

1982 Topps Traded Cal Ripken

1983 Topps Traded Darryl Strawberry

1984 Fleer Update Roger Clemens

1984 Fleer Update Kirby Puckett

1984 Fleer Update Dwight Gooden

Even ungraded versions of these can be expensive, so I keep hoping to get lucky in auctions. 

 

 

 

That's the same exact thing I did when I got back into it a couple year's ago. I went from 68 to 95, all 4 sports. 

I think I've had more fun this time around than when I was a kid.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was a kid I would trade Mets like Tom Seaver and Willie Mays for any Yankee, guys like Fred Stanley and Ron Bloomberg. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

When I was a kid I would trade Mets like Tom Seaver and Willie Mays for any Yankee, guys like Fred Stanley and Ron Bloomberg. 

😥

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

When I was a kid I would trade Mets like Tom Seaver and Willie Mays for any Yankee, guys like Fred Stanley and Ron Bloomberg. 

Yeah.  We did that kind of thing too.  Then we'd wrap them with a rubber band and throw them in a shoe box. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, joneo said:

So here's what I figure:

In the 92 Stadium Club Basketball, the "Beam Team" inserts were very limited: 1 to a box. The current price of a box of series 2 is $700. (you might get them cheaper but when you throw in S&H + tax, it's easily $700)

There were 21 cards in the Beam Team set so basically, it would take you 2 cases (24 boxes)  just to get a Shaquille Beam Team. (Current price in PSA 10 is $17,500) https://www.psacard.com/smrpriceguide/basketball-card-values/1992-stadium-club-beam-team/1737

To get a statistical shot at the card would cost you $16,800...

But hold on..not every card is a PSA 10.  Actually, 1 in every 16 cards of Shaquille submitted is a "10" https://www.psacard.com/pop/basketball-cards/1992/stadium-club-beam-team/46593

That means it would COST you $268,600 to statistically get a PSA 10 Shaquille. :shocking:

Moral of the story: Don't buy boxes...Buy singles!  Here's a current auction for a PSA 10: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Stadium-Club-Beam-Team-Shaquille-ONeal-ROOKIE-RC-21-PSA-10-GEM-MINT/143983845378

 

The actual moral of the story is buy boxes and keep them sealed.  Those same boxes could be had for peanuts 2 years ago.  

2019-20 NBA Prizm blaster boxes were $19.99 when they first came out.  I'm selling them for $499 now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to look behind the curtain.. buy the card not the grade.       

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Busy week with cards and lots of big news:

1. PSA has stopped accepting most submissions so they can catch up on the 10 million plus cards already in their system waiting to be graded.  They're saying they'd like to start taking them again in July.   In response, SGC has raised their base price from $25 per card to $75 per card. I expect CSG to do the same any day, and will be shocked if PSA resumes submissions at their current prices.  Beckett is also way behind in grading and they've also raised prices recently.  Keep in mind that the avg cost to grade cards in bulk was around $10 a year ago.  

3. Prizm basketball hit the shelves and is selling for around $2K per box.  

4. Select Football hits the shelves next week at around $1500 per box.

5. Modern basketball singles have cooled off from their pre-season hype prices.  I expect that to change a bit once the playoffs get closer.  There's short term money to be made here.

6.  IMO, Football cards are about to experience a surge like we've never seen before.  The Trevor Lawrence hype train has been chugging along for several years.  Last year's mania for Zion Williamson will look tame compared to this.  

7. The National convention is scheduled for July, but many are worried about another cancellation.  Regional shows have been happening around the country and the crowds have been big.  I don't know how they're going to manage the massive influx of visitors to Chicago unless 90% of the US gets vaccinated by then.  Hotels are already sold out, tons of tickets have been sold, but I think there's only about a 50/50 chance that it happens.  

Happy Easter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vuduchile said:

Busy week with cards and lots of big news:

1. PSA has stopped accepting most submissions so they can catch up on the 10 million plus cards already in their system waiting to be graded.  They're saying they'd like to start taking them again in July.   In response, SGC has raised their base price from $25 per card to $75 per card. I expect CSG to do the same any day, and will be shocked if PSA resumes submissions at their current prices.  Beckett is also way behind in grading and they've also raised prices recently.  Keep in mind that the avg cost to grade cards in bulk was around $10 a year ago.  

3. Prizm basketball hit the shelves and is selling for around $2K per box.  

4. Select Football hits the shelves next week at around $1500 per box.

5. Modern basketball singles have cooled off from their pre-season hype prices.  I expect that to change a bit once the playoffs get closer.  There's short term money to be made here.

6.  IMO, Football cards are about to experience a surge like we've never seen before.  The Trevor Lawrence hype train has been chugging along for several years.  Last year's mania for Zion Williamson will look tame compared to this.  

7. The National convention is scheduled for July, but many are worried about another cancellation.  Regional shows have been happening around the country and the crowds have been big.  I don't know how they're going to manage the massive influx of visitors to Chicago unless 90% of the US gets vaccinated by then.  Hotels are already sold out, tons of tickets have been sold, but I think there's only about a 50/50 chance that it happens.  

Happy Easter

2K for a box of cards and thought it was crazy back in the 90's for $150 me and my dad spent for a box. As for Trevor I'd be get me some Mac Jones and think he might be the best of the class this year. Thanks for the update and enjoy them and yes Happy Easter and have a great one!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Topps is going public, looking to enter the NFT market.  They already have digital collectibles with Topps Bunt.  Not sure what the long term plan is, but they're raising money for something big.  My original thought with Eisner at the helm was how he took Disney to the moon in large part by tying entertainment and merchandise together and opening Disney store is every mall across the world.  

But malls are in free fall, so he must be looking at something else.  MLB is not great about marketing their product to kids.  Maybe they'll lean on Eisner and Topps to work on that via their licensing agreement.  

Either way, this is yet another huge story for the card biz, NFT's and blockchain.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/06/baseball-card-company-topps-to-go-public-through-spac-deal.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2021 at 11:03 AM, vuduchile said:

Topps is going public, looking to enter the NFT market.  They already have digital collectibles with Topps Bunt.  Not sure what the long term plan is, but they're raising money for something big.  My original thought with Eisner at the helm was how he took Disney to the moon in large part by tying entertainment and merchandise together and opening Disney store is every mall across the world.  

But malls are in free fall, so he must be looking at something else.  MLB is not great about marketing their product to kids.  Maybe they'll lean on Eisner and Topps to work on that via their licensing agreement.  

Either way, this is yet another huge story for the card biz, NFT's and blockchain.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/06/baseball-card-company-topps-to-go-public-through-spac-deal.html

How does a person go about acquiring NFTs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×