Sign in to follow this  
JustinCharge

Poll Worker fired for turning away voters with BLM shirts

3 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

most states have a policy of no political advertising at or within 500 yards of a polling station, that includes voters

Yep. And in many areas this most likely saves people's lives. Especially this year.

2 hours ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

Well then time to raise the bar on city rules and zoning. Can't just live in a place with no upkeep anymore. Make them pay North Philly zoning laws fees. If they can't pay put a lean on it and take it away. Blight should not be allowed. Either maintain your stuff or get out.

Seems to me that would put the city on the hook for the upkeep. I don’t think Philadelphia wants to own thousands of properties in the hoods I’m talking about.

3 hours ago, MDC said:

I think a major reinvestment in blighted urban areas could help lift the black community. I sometimes drive through neighborhoods of North Philly going to / from work that have entire city blocks of houses falling apart and open lots full of trash. I wonder how anybody who grows up in this type of environment is going to succeed.

Significantly raising the minimum wage could help too.

The stuff about fixing the culture isn’t wrong but it’s easy to say because it doesn’t cost anyone $ or effort.

There's actually been some scientific research on this stuff and it shows that it really is cultural.  Cultures with above normal rates of community involvement tend to have better life outcomes than those that do not.  At this point, you have to say the black community is facing negative community involvement thanks to BLM. BLM is helping to tear down the ties that binds Americans together.

8 minutes ago, MDC said:

Seems to me that would put the city on the hook for the upkeep. I don’t think Philadelphia wants to own thousands of properties in the hoods I’m talking about.

I don't want anyone on the hook for it but the homeowners just like I am on the hook for mine. Fine the owners and put leans on the properties. Eventually they will be evicted.

Just now, riversco said:

There's actually been some scientific research on this stuff and it shows that it really is cultural.  Cultures with above normal rates of community involvement tend to have better life outcomes than those that do not.  At this point, you have to say the black community is facing negative community involvement thanks to BLM. BLM is helping to tear down the ties that binds Americans together.

I might look further back in time.

One can point back to the original destruction of AA families through slavery, and then to the policies of Democrats to sideline them for decades, and then to the Democrat policies that led to the ongoing dissolution of family values in the sixties and seventies; Nixon did not help with his war on drugs for sure.  Then you have the disastrous actions of Bill Clinton in the 1990's....on and on....

BLM is just the manifestation of anarchists who think the entire construct needs to be torn down, that hides craftily behind a shield of the name. Prior to BLM you had people like the Sharptons, Jackson's etc who simply used people to both enrich and aggrandize themselves....sadly people are generally too stupid to realize it

People should not be able to have children unless they can prove they are stable mentally and financially enough to raise them. The biggest problems are horny poor people procreating and building on their lack of stability in their cities. F*cking mess. If this is not understood, then these poor communities will never ever get anywhere in life. 

9 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

People should not be able to have children unless they can prove they are stable mentally and financially enough to raise them. The biggest problems are horny poor people procreating and building on their lack of stability in their cities. F*cking mess. If this is not understood, then these poor communities will never ever get anywhere in life. 

That doesn't sound very American.  Sounds more like China.

10 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

That doesn't sound very American.  Sounds more like China.

I don't disagree. My point is, we're stuck.with it unless some people get a clue and get a hold of their own lives. 

29 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

I don't want anyone on the hook for it but the homeowners just like I am on the hook for mine. Fine the owners and put leans on the properties. Eventually they will be evicted.

Again, the City evicts the owner and the City is on the hook for the property anyway. Nobody is flipping a rowhome for profit in these neighborhoods.

12 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

I don't disagree. My point is, we're stuck.with it unless some people get a clue and get a hold of their own lives. 

I agree.  Have to find a way to get people to want to make a change.  Can't really force them to, they need to see the benefit of doing so.

53 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I agree.  Have to find a way to get people to want to make a change.  Can't really force them to, they need to see the benefit of doing so.

I thought living in poverty and in crime ridden cities would be enough motivation to either change who you vote for or get your shlt together and fight for yourself in life to make it in the proper moral manner. Or both. 

I have been proven wrong by every democratic run city in this country. :(

1 hour ago, MDC said:

Again, the City evicts the owner and the City is on the hook for the property anyway. Nobody is flipping a rowhome for profit in these neighborhoods.

It's actually possible.  It's happening in Camden, NJ.  Thanks to the "defunding the police" movement, the city does have lower crime rates, but that's because there's no one to actually rob.  The town is so poor (because the people with money moved out), that Rowan University and Rutgers University are in a group effort buying massive areas of foreclosed town homes and expanding their campus.

14 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

I thought living in poverty and in crime ridden cities would be enough motivation to either change who you vote for or get your shlt together and fight for yourself in life to make it in the proper moral manner. Or both. 

I have been proven wrong by every democratic run city in this country. :(

Truth.

I do find it funny how he's agreeing with virtually every post in this thread and not realizing that it all points to not voting for Democrats.

If I were a mailman and I picked up ballots from a known Dem area, I would absolutely throw them away without hesitation if I had the chance.

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Truth.

I do find it funny how he's agreeing with virtually every post in this thread and not realizing that it all points to not voting for Democrats.

Why is that funny?  I'm not a democrat.  I mailed in my vote yesterday and it wasn't for Biden.  I voted for a republican for my congressional district.

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Why is that funny?  I'm not a democrat.  I mailed in my vote yesterday and it wasn't for Biden.  I voted for a republican for my congressional district.

Steve King? That guy's awesome 

8 hours ago, riversco said:

Just so you know, wearing a shirt that says Blue Lives Matter or wearing clothing with the thin blue line flag may be OK as well.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/poll-worker-fired-turning-away-220624357.html

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — A poll worker in Memphis, Tennessee, has been fired after turning away early voters who were wearing “Black Lives Matter” and “I Can't Breathe” shirts, an elections official said Monday.

The worker was fired Friday after officials received a call from a witness at the Dave Wells Community Center in Memphis, Shelby County Election Commission spokeswoman Suzanne Thompson said.

Tennessee law does not allow voters to wear items bearing the name of a candidate or a political party in a polling place. But state law does not prohibit statements such as “Black Lives Matter,” Thompson said.

The number of voters who were told to leave was not immediately known, but Thompson said it was only a few. The poll worker thought the statements were tied to the Democratic Party, Thompson said.

“That was pretty bad,” she said. “They were not supposed to be turned away.”

If someone is wearing a shirt which says "I can't breath", they probably need the heimlich manuever or CPR or 911 called.  Voting should be the least of their worries.

On 10/20/2020 at 9:14 AM, riversco said:

I think its more of an anti-harassment law.  We vote by secret ballot because we learned from experience that when people vote publicly, they can be harassed and even killed.  Unions for example would send thugs to the homes of people who voted against unions to attack them, so laws were passed to make union voting done by secret ballot.  Anyway, if we allowed campaigning inside the voting centers, it wouldn't be long before intimidation tactics were used to try to coerce people to vote a certain way, and it would get violent fairly quickly.

Or the reverse like when people were beaten or killed for unionizing in the first place.