Sign in to follow this  
frank

Rashaad Penny

What do you guys thinks about him going forward? It sounds Like it is his job to lose. 

I have a bye this week, so I only care about weeks 16 and 17. I have first waiver pick and am thinking about picking him up. I’m good at RB (Fournette, Javonte Williams, Swift, Barkley). I might not start him anyway but could keep others from getting him. Next on the waiver is a guy on the other side of the bracket. 

I think he has the tools to do more as he did his past game, but can he stay healthy, no, he hasn’t yet.  

So tread lightly. 

It took him 4 year's to have a week like this.

I ain't fallin for this crap again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kopy said:

It took him 4 year's to have a week like this.

I ain't fallin for this crap again.

Me neither.  Penny is the very definition of fool's gold.

He'll get injured here shortly.  Might even do it stepping out of bed tomorrow morning.  

55 minutes ago, Phil Simms 11 said:

I had him for much of this season but dropped already, why does he need to wait until I drop him for this?

He wants to see you suffer obviously.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Me neither.  Penny is the very definition of fool's gold.

He'll get injured here shortly.  Might even do it stepping out of bed tomorrow morning.  

well, in my competitive league, RB's are hard to get your hands on.  If I can get him with the FAAB money I got, I'll take him.  if someone outbids me as I suspect they might then hes their problem.

but if hes the starter in Seattle until the end of season, his numbers should be at least adequate.  so if you need a fill in for injury or a solid backup, hes worth it.

I wouldn’t spend any FAAB on Penny , not a single dollar.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I wouldn’t spend any FAAB on Penny , not a single dollar.  

Friends, posters, countrymen, lend me your ears;
I come to bury weepaws, not to praise him.
The poor FF advice that men give live after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones;
So let it be with weepaws.

Listen.  There are 3 weeks left in the season.  Who are we waiting to spend FAAB budget on?  Understand that your Free Agent budget is useless to you once the season ends, and as the season draws to a close, the value of your FAAB is diminished.  So instead of passing on a starting NFL runningback with this ever depreciating FAAB budget, use those dollars to add him.  Then when the free agent period starts, drop any player that cannot help your playoff run like that 5th receiver or that backup QB or Calvin Ridley or god forbid backup defense or backup kicker and add other potential championship winners that may be out there.  Add Mattison; add Pollard; add Khalil Herbert; add D'ernest Johnson; add Rhomondre Stevenson if they are available.

When it comes to your FAAB budget, if not Penny, who?  If not now, when?  Every good backup RB needs to be rostered.  Byes are over.  You don't need backups that actually play unless someone gets hurt.  Use those spots for potential studs when COVID gets some guy last minute.

16 minutes ago, nobody said:

When it comes to your FAAB budget, if not Penny, who?  If not now, when?

totally agree.

from my perspective, hes a starting RB at the moment.   he should be rostered.

if you have depth at the position you need not worry, but if you dont, I think hes better than anyone else you will find on the wire at this time of year.

if you have lost your starting RB to injury, he wont fill the void, but he may be good enough to keep you afloat.

at the end of the day, we are in the playoffs.  if you lose you are out.  so if hes better than your third or 4th RB you should pick him up.   everyone else on the wire wont even be starting for their respective teams.   Even if you dont love the guy, he will get the volume to make him worthy of being a backup or a flex play.    Thats not bad.

No about of pennies of FAAB is worth spending on the Penny injury machine.  

I dropped C. Beasley and picked him up. No FAAB, just waivers. Don’t know if I will use him, just blocking others and figured there may not be a better pickup this year. 

2 minutes ago, frank said:

I dropped C. Beasley and picked him up. No FAAB, just waivers. Don’t know if I will use him, just blocking others and figured there may not be a better pickup this year. 

any player expected to start at RB should be rostered even if its only a 1 or 2 week hold.

Your FAAB money (if you have it in your league) is worthless once you are out of the playoffs. so spend it if you got it.

I picked him up to be a backup in one of my leagues.  My hope is that I wont need to use him, but in the end if a player gets hurt or gets covid, I'm happy to have another option.  I'm also happy to not have him used against me if he has a game like he did last week.

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

any player expected to start at RB should be rostered even if its only a 1 or 2 week hold.

Your FAAB money (if you have it in your league) is worthless once you are out of the playoffs. so spend it if you got it.

I picked him up to be a backup in one of my leagues.  My hope is that I wont need to use him, but in the end if a player gets hurt or gets covid, I'm happy to have another option.  I'm also happy to not have him used against me if he has a game like he did last week.

That's why I picked Penny up too.  We get new FAAB for the playoffs and I used it all.  2nd closest bid for Penny in my league bid slight less than 50% of the full FAAB.

Can. Not. Be. Trusted.  I’d never start a Pete Carroll flavor of the week RB in the playoffs unless extremely desperate.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wizbang said:

Can. Not. Be. Trusted.  I’d never start a Pete Carroll flavor of the week RB in the playoffs unless extremely desperate.  

well, if you are counting on Penny to be a starter, you likely are desperate.  and considering the number of RB's who are injured or have covid, I suspect there are a lot of desperate fantasy managers out there.  No RB means no points, and likely no wins.   Right now hes better than the alternative if you dont have any healthy RB's on your roster at the moment.

Thats the bottom line.

In the end you, as a manager, still have to plan for contingencies, and from the sound of it hes the only healthy back in Seattle at the moment.  so its not like Carroll has a lot of choice.

until that situation comes to an end, Penny is worth a pickup and right now, hes a solid backup while this situation lasts.(probably 1-2 more weeks)

If your starter is out, he looks (at least at the moment) to be getting a reasonable number of touches.   Thats all you can ask for in a backup RB.  Most backups are lucky to get the touches.  so if your guy is getting them, thats half the battle.

As the playoffs are only 3 weeks long, he can hopefully keep you afloat until some of your other RB's can come back healthy.  or, if you are good for RB's you can pick him up to keep your opponent from doing so (assuming they need a RB)

both are viable strategies if the right situation applies to you.

I agree its not for everyone.    the guy with plenty of depth at RB maybe has no interest.   but there is no way that situation applies to more than a handful of fantasy teams in any given league.  Most fantasy teams need RB depth at this time of year.

A WR gets hurt, there are plenty on the wire you can grab.   Not so with RB's.   Keep that in mind when making your decision.

I’ll wait and see who else might be worthy. 

Hope those that have R Jones available on wavier saved that wavier spot , and those that use FAAB saves it for R Jones. 

Yea not worth any FAAB.  

Thanks. 

On 12/21/2021 at 9:04 PM, weepaws said:

Hope those that have R Jones available on wavier saved that wavier spot , and those that use FAAB saves it for R Jones. 

Yea not worth any FAAB.  

Thanks. 

I was outbid.  will be bidding on Rojo.  hes a proven commodity.   not top notch, butt certainly startable in a pinch.   hes as good a backup you can  expect  to  find on the wire at this time of year.

Not for those that others recommend that they spend their FAAB on Penny.  

Shame.  

2-1 so far.  

On 12/23/2021 at 1:28 AM, weepaws said:

Not for those that others recommend that they spend their FAAB on Penny.  

Shame.  

well, if any of us had the gift of foresight, people would have waited on Rojo.   but Rojo wasnt the starting RB at the time.  normally guys of his calibre dont come available unless it is a situation like this.  someone ahead of them in the depth chart got hurt thereby making them a very good pickup.

it is one of those dumb luck things.

in general my playoff policy is, if your 3rd and 4th RB are better than any available RB there is no need to pickup.   but if the available player is expected to exceed production of either your RB3 or RB4 you should strongly consider the pickup if you are able.

especially in covid times where your top 2 RB's could easily become IR fodder.

I dont think the advice was bad.  Even if Penny sucked bad if you dont have depth at the position, its a decent pickup.

obviously youd rather not start him unless you have to, but thats why you would call him a backup.   Not particularly valuable......... until you need them.

On 12/16/2021 at 10:46 PM, weepaws said:

That’s what I said.  

28 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

well, if any of us had the gift of foresight, people would have waited on Rojo.   but Rojo wasnt the starting RB at the time.  normally guys of his calibre dont come available unless it is a situation like this.  someone ahead of them in the depth chart got hurt thereby making them a very good pickup.

it is one of those dumb luck things.

in general my playoff policy is, if your 3rd and 4th RB are better than any available RB there is no need to pickup.   but if the available player is expected to exceed production of either your RB3 or RB4 you should strongly consider the pickup if you are able.

especially in covid times where your top 2 RB's could easily become IR fodder.

I dont think the advice was bad.  Even if Penny sucked bad if you dont have depth at the position, its a decent pickup.

obviously youd rather not start him unless you have to, but thats why you would call him a backup.   Not particularly valuable......... until you need them.

He’s stayed healthy that’s most of the battle when it comes to Penny.  I didn’t spend any FAAB on Penny , so I was able to land R Jones.  

So far Penny has had two very good games out of three, since he’s not always a no brainier start I wonder how many ff benches he was kept on because on the horrible game the week before.    R Jones is a no brainier imo.  

On 12/16/2021 at 10:46 PM, weepaws said:

So far I’m glad I waited and picked up Jones with my FAAB 

6 hours ago, Gepetto said:

You were wrong about Penny. :banana: 

Congrats. And to everyone else that picked up Penny, he’s had two outstanding games.  

41 minutes ago, weepaws said:

R Jones is a no brainier imo.  

yes he is.   so long as he is the starter.  and it looks like he will be to the end of the fantasy playoffs. 

so if you got him.... good on ya.

Don’t get extra FAAB for the playoffs, so I saved a little was able to get R Jones.  So far I’m happy.  

12 hours ago, Gepetto said:

:nono:

At this point. He's 1 game better that Duke Johnson

3 hours ago, Kopy said:

Yes, double better.

12 hours ago, Kopy said:

with guys like this you gotta look at it game by game.

if the team is using them and they are playing well, its tough to assume they will change the winning formula.

but when they dont perform that is when you need to do your homework.   find out why they didnt perform.  is this weeks matchup likely to turn out the same?  is it the same type/style of defense?

obviously a nice match-up is something to look at.   a tough match-up  such as the Tampa D.... not so much.

23 minutes ago, frank said:

:banana:

Sure hope you didn't save your faab for RoJo when you could've had penny. Now that would be a move that one who thinks ff is all luck would make...

On 12/28/2021 at 7:21 PM, Gepetto said:

Your right I was wrong.  

• Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 6:11 PM, Gepetto said:

That's why I picked Penny up too.  We get new FAAB for the playoffs and I used it all.  2nd closest bid for Penny in my league bid slight less than 50% of the full FAAB.

I started Penny in my Championship game!!!!  

:banana:

:pointstosky:

On 12/29/2021 at 12:37 AM, weepaws said:

Don’t get extra FAAB for the playoffs, so I saved a little was able to get R Jones.  So far I’m happy.  

Wrong move, Penny was the right pick, congrats to those that made the better move.  

1 minute ago, weepaws said:

Wrong move, Penny was the right pick, congrats to those that made the better move.  

Penny is looking great today.  thats for sure.

Just now, Ray_T said:

Penny is looking great today.  thats for sure.

He has now three out of four games. Can’t deny he was the better and right pick up.