Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Falcons trade Matt Ryan to Colts

Good news for both the Colts and Ryan imo.  

Falcons just got better.  Gonna be hard to not upgrade from Matt Ryan.  Falcons fans must be happy about this.

I think Falcons fans would be happy to see M Ryan go. 

Falcons have a long way to go before one can declare that they have gotten better, their best wr from last season Is now a wr three , and no Rbs with limited upside from Patterson who can’t  hold down a full time job, and I horrible defense. 

Falcons fans are far from happy, if thy are happy, that’s sad.  

Colts made a sold investment for another game manager, and the colts have more talent , with a good defense, I hope Ryan as success with the Colts. 

Now Colts fans are happy fans.  

well, I suspect Ryan can still play.  but we will find hes not the player he was 5 or 6 years ago.  

no crime in that.  Age does that to people.   

I do think there is enough talent in Indy that he will do ok for at least one year (possibly two).

all bets are off after that.

he wont be a top 5 QB.  those days are done for him, but he will be good enough.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Falcons just got better.  Gonna be hard to not upgrade from Matt Ryan.  Falcons fans must be happy about this.

The Saints re-signed Jameis Winston 🤨

Basketball and Hockey are gearing up for the playoffs. Baseball's starting. Some tournament going on. Who cares. The NFL offseason has been even better than the actual season. A news story everyday.

Now that's the national past time.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Marcus Mariota an upgrade?

11 minutes ago, Mike FF Today said:

id be surprised if Mariota is who they roll out with next year.

maybe they think they are getting some insurance in case the person they try to get doesnt work out.

who knows, maybe Baker Mayfield is headed here.   or they use a top draft pick to get someone and hes the bridge QB option if they are not ready to start week 1

Mariota goes into the Lions den as of right now, the Falcons outside of K Pitts are very limited at the play maker slots.  

I think Mariota is just another game manager, and not an upgrade.  

7 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Mariota goes into the Lions den as of right now, the Falcons outside of K Pitts are very limited at the play maker slots.  

He’s a placeholder for whatever rookie

Mariota is total garbage and will get hurt if he plays. He always does. The falcons have no plan outside of losing a lot of games.

1 minute ago, lod001 said:

Mariota is total garbage and will get hurt if he plays. He always does. The falcons have no plan outside of losing a lot of games.

this is certainly possible.

maybe that is the plan.  get the #1 pick next year.

team was too good with Matt Ryan so they had to do a downgrade so they can get someone good.

1 hour ago, Mike FF Today said:

Their OLine is beyond awful at pass blocking, they have no outside receivers with Gage gone and Ridley suspended, and their RB's aren't stable.  Matt Ryan's skill sets aren't conducive to a winning formula in Atlanta.  Mariota's are.  I think they're going to stink... they were going to with Ryan, but maybe they'll win 5 or 6 games instead of 3 or 4.  So, with the team they're going to have, is Mariota an upgrade?  Yeah, probably. 

54 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Cordarelle Patterson is still an excellent play maker if they use him correctly.

Of course if they try to make him a workhorse RB and gives him 300 touches or something like that, it will likely kill his play making ability

53 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Their OLine is beyond awful at pass blocking, they have no outside receivers with Gage gone and Ridley suspended, and their RB's aren't stable.  Matt Ryan's skill sets aren't conducive to a winning formula in Atlanta.  Mariota's are.  I think they're going to stink... they were going to with Ryan, but maybe they'll win 5 or 6 games instead of 3 or 4.  So, with the team they're going to have, is Mariota an upgrade?  Yeah, probably. 

an upgrade in the sense that the team may get a top pick in next years draft?  I'll buy that one.

but I wont buy that the team is better with Mariota than with Ryan.

Mariotas just not that good.  sure hes more mobile and that gives him an advantage, but the decision making just isnt there.   If it was, he would still be the QB in Tennessee.

4 hours ago, polecatt said:

Cordarelle Patterson is still an excellent play maker if they use him correctly.

Of course if they try to make him a workhorse RB and gives him 300 touches or something like that, it will likely kill his play making ability

His last four games, which started week 15 he totaled 18 ff points in 1/2 point ppr. 

So prior to that week 15 game he had a total of 169 touches, so I would say his usage would be limited, which is why after Pitts the Falcons would be limited at best at the playmaker slots.  

2 hours ago, weepaws said:

His last four games, which started week 15 he totaled 18 ff points in 1/2 point ppr. 

So prior to that week 15 game he had a total of 169 touches, so I would say his usage would be limited, which is why after Pitts the Falcons would be limited at best at the playmaker slots.  

well they say this is a great year if you wanna draft a WR.   Maybe this is the plan......

Pitt did the right thing getting Trubisky when they did. 

But I like the move by Indi here. Absolutely a good trade by them. 2 year deal for only $52 million on a starting QB with his experience and credentials?  Hell yeah. Bargain. 

Atlanta? They are starting over anyway. 

15 hours ago, Ray_T said:

an upgrade in the sense that the team may get a top pick in next years draft?  I'll buy that one.

but I wont buy that the team is better with Mariota than with Ryan.

Mariotas just not that good.  sure hes more mobile and that gives him an advantage, but the decision making just isnt there.   If it was, he would still be the QB in Tennessee.

No, I think Atlanta wins more games with Mariota this year, than they would have with Ryan because of the supporting cast.  Let's be honest here.  I am a bit facetious when I talk about Matt Ryan stinking.  He's not as good as what some may claim, but he doesn't suck (as I joke about).  He's a middle of the road QB.  He can not lose you games if your team is good, but he can't win you games if your team is "ok".  Case in point... last year.  They were 7-10 and their 7 wins came against the Giants, Redskins, Lions, Jags, Jets, Panthers, and Dolphins (while in the midst of losing 7 games in a row).  Every team they beat last year stunk.  Heck, had Ridley bailed on them before Week 7, they probably lose the Giants & Dolphins games and finish 5-12.

This coming season, the NFC South plays the NFC West and AFC North.  That's not promising.  Especially with Matt Ryan (and being a statue behind one of the worst pass blocking OLine's in the NFL), games against the Rams, Niners, Cardinals, Ravens, Steelers, Browns, and Bengals won't be especially fun... not really sure what to make of Seattle yet.  They get the Chargers as their extra AFC opponent this year.  So, 8 (maybe 9 games), against teams who either have good pass rushers or really good overall teams and then 2 more against Tampa.  Before the season starts, you're looking at... maybe 11 loses.  Their other games are 2 vs the Saints and Panthers, the Bears, and Redskins.  How many of them are they winning?   Heck, they lost to Washington and split with both NO and CAR last year.  Neither of those teams got worse (yet).  With Matt Ryan, they win 3 games... split with NO & CAR, and the Bears.  I'd give them Seattle, but that game is on the road.

No, Mariota isn't all that good... but he may have improved under a better offense/and coaching, last year.  With Mariota's scrambling and running ability, maybe they steal a few wins that Ryan wouldn't get them... like against the Steelers, Arizona, & Washington.  I don't think either QB will steal them wins against the good teams, but the middle of the road teams... I think Mariota gives them a better shot.  I think they win 5 with him.

Yes, Atlanta is going to stink no matter what, but I think their ceiling with Ryan is 4 wins... but 6 with Mariota.  So to me, that's an upgrade.

It's a massive downgrade for the Falcons. Mariota is a bridge QB, kind of like Tyrod Taylor used to be. They are obviously tanking. Ryan makes the Colts dangerous enough to win the south.

3 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

No, I think Atlanta wins more games with Mariota this year, than they would have with Ryan because of the supporting cast.  Let's be honest here.  I am a bit facetious when I talk about Matt Ryan stinking.  He's not as good as what some may claim, but he doesn't suck (as I joke about).  He's a middle of the road QB.  He can not lose you games if your team is good, but he can't win you games if your team is "ok".  Case in point... last year.  They were 7-10 and their 7 wins came against the Giants, Redskins, Lions, Jags, Jets, Panthers, and Dolphins (while in the midst of losing 7 games in a row).  Every team they beat last year stunk.  Heck, had Ridley bailed on them before Week 7, they probably lose the Giants & Dolphins games and finish 5-12.

This coming season, the NFC South plays the NFC West and AFC North.  That's not promising.  Especially with Matt Ryan (and being a statue behind one of the worst pass blocking OLine's in the NFL), games against the Rams, Niners, Cardinals, Ravens, Steelers, Browns, and Bengals won't be especially fun... not really sure what to make of Seattle yet.  They get the Chargers as their extra AFC opponent this year.  So, 8 (maybe 9 games), against teams who either have good pass rushers or really good overall teams and then 2 more against Tampa.  Before the season starts, you're looking at... maybe 11 loses.  Their other games are 2 vs the Saints and Panthers, the Bears, and Redskins.  How many of them are they winning?   Heck, they lost to Washington and split with both NO and CAR last year.  Neither of those teams got worse (yet).  With Matt Ryan, they win 3 games... split with NO & CAR, and the Bears.  I'd give them Seattle, but that game is on the road.

No, Mariota isn't all that good... but he may have improved under a better offense/and coaching, last year.  With Mariota's scrambling and running ability, maybe they steal a few wins that Ryan wouldn't get them... like against the Steelers, Arizona, & Washington.  I don't think either QB will steal them wins against the good teams, but the middle of the road teams... I think Mariota gives them a better shot.  I think they win 5 with him.

Yes, Atlanta is going to stink no matter what, but I think their ceiling with Ryan is 4 wins... but 6 with Mariota.  So to me, that's an upgrade.

So Falcons fans would be happy with a six win team? 

2 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

The issue with Ryan is the giant fork sticking out of his back. 

Based on? 

8 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Steady decline since 2018? :dunno:

2019 he avg 23 ff points per game, he was 5th in passing yards and 6th with passing tds.  

2020 he avg 22 points per game, he was 4th in passing yards and 9th in passing tds.  

In 2012 he avg 24 ff points that season, 2013-2015 he avg 21 per game, rebounded in 2016 with an ff avg of 25 per game, fell to 18 ff points per game in 2017 , then rebounded once again to 26 ff points per game in 2018.  

Combine 2019& 2020 he passed for an avg of 4523:yards and threw 52 tds , that’s 26 per season those two years.  

Last season with very very little help he sucked. But if you have followed his career he’s been and up and down ff Qb since he’s been in the nfl , now he’s going to a team with an upgrades at the playmaker slots, I think he’ll rebound very nicely. 

Welcome 👍

1 minute ago, weepaws said:

But if you have followed his career he’s been and up and down ff Qb since he’s been in the nfl 

This is a legit point.

However, now he is 37.

18 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

This is a legit point.

However, now he is 37.

Which is the exact point of the point. A 37 year old statue is gonna need some help. 

He now goes to a team with a good Oline and run game. Although not the best, but way more weapons to throw to than just a TE. And a far superior defense. Other than TE, everything is a significant upgrade for the guy. He also goes to a weak (not conference), but division. AND, stays in a dome.

well, it is fair to say there are some QB's who make their WR's great.  and some QB's who are made great by the players around them.

The struggle is in figuring  out which is which.   But in general I think there are only 3 or 4 QB's in the NFL who can take a normal starter and turn them into a star.  Rodgers, Brady, possibly Mahomes.   I think I'd put Josh Allen in there too.   He turned John Brown into a 1000 yard Receiver.  only one other QB was able to do that over Browns career.  (manning)

one or two of the young STars may be the type too, but its too early to say for sure at this point.

that said......

Ryan may be one of those QB's who if you surround him with good talent, he can play very well.

I think Cousins is one of those guys too.(personal opinion).

I think Ryan will be fine where hes at now.

Mariota isnt one of those guys.

in Tennessee he couldnt get it done and then his replacement (Tanehill)  became a good starter because he is one of those guys who can play if the talent around him is good.

it is certainly possible that Mariota has grown as a player and sitting on the bench could have helped him sort out his issues.

but I dont think hes better than Matt Ryan.   for me thats a step too far.     but I've been wrong before.  Maybe I'm wrong on this.

2 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

well, it is fair to say there are some QB's who make their WR's great.  and some QB's who are made great by the players around them.

The struggle is in figuring  out which is which.   But in general I think there are only 3 or 4 QB's in the NFL who can take a normal starter and turn them into a star.  Rodgers, Brady, possibly Mahomes.   I think I'd put Josh Allen in there too.   He turned John Brown into a 1000 yard Receiver.  only one other QB was able to do that over Browns career.  (manning)

one or two of the young STars may be the type too, but its too early to say for sure at this point.

that said......

Ryan may be one of those QB's who if you surround him with good talent, he can play very well.

I think Cousins is one of those guys too.(personal opinion).

I think Ryan will be fine where hes at now.

Mariota isnt one of those guys.

in Tennessee he couldnt get it done and then his replacement (Tanehill)  became a good starter because he is one of those guys who can play if the talent around him is good.

it is certainly possible that Mariota has grown as a player and sitting on the bench could have helped him sort out his issues.

but I dont think hes better than Matt Ryan.   for me thats a step too far.     but I've been wrong before.  Maybe I'm wrong on this.

Agreed 

1 hour ago, Kopy said:

Which is the exact point of the point. A 37 year old statue is gonna need some help. 

He now goes to a team with a good Oline and run game. Although not the best, but way more weapons to throw to than just a TE. And a far superior defense. Other than TE, everything is a significant upgrade for the guy. He also goes to a weak (not conference), but division. AND, stays in a dome

I'm going to have to disagree with  a LOT of this.

A "good Oline"?  You're sure about that?  At season's end, their offensive line ranked 30th in pass blocking.  On top of that, their LT (Eric Fisher), is still a free agent.  Their RG (Mark Glowinski), who was their second best OL, left to go to the Giants.  They've yet to secure a LT or a replacement for Glowinski.

He has "way more weapons"?  Like who?  Their two best WR's are Pittman (who's perfectly fine), and Paris Campbell who only played 6 games.  In Atlanta he had Gage and Pitts... I'll take Gage and Pitts, thanks.  Now yes, Gage left to go to Tampa, but he's a #3 WR.  He can be upgraded in the draft.  The Falcons have the 8th pick in the draft... they can get a WR there who'll be better than what Gage was.

"A far superior defense"?  I'll give you "better", I'm not going with "far superior".  Atlanta's blows, but Indy's is only league average.

He's going to a weaker conference?  In the NFC, there's Tampa Bay and LA... the next best are Green Bay, Dallas, Arizona, and San Fran and none of them are locks of any kind.  In the AFC there's Buffalo, Tennessee, Baltimore, Cincinnati, KC, Denver, Vegas, and the Chargers.  Tell me how is the AFC the weaker conference?

Outside of Jonathan Taylor, I'm not really seeing a massive upgrade in going from Atlanta to Indy.  Slight?  Sure, but nothing to gloat about.  His saving grace is that he gets to play the NFC East, Jax twice, Houston twice, and Pittsburgh.  Not so sure that playing the AFC West will be a positive, or playing New England or Minnesota.  I can see them finishing around anywhere between 7 and 9 wins.  I think Atlanta will be worse, but that's because their schedule is tougher, but I see them around 5 or 6 wins.

Vegas has the Colts win total at 9 and the Falcons at 7.5.

I think the Colts have much better team, and a much better situation for Ryan.. 

The Falcons fans won’t be enjoying this next season.  

I think Ryan as a shot at improving on his avg per game by 4-5 more points per game avg, that would make his per game avg 21-22 per game. 

Kopy said good oline, but not the best. 

Also was talking about what Ryan left behind today, which doesn’t include Gage, whom was Ryan wr1 , but is now a wr3. Lots of credit to Ryan for producing much at all. And Gage leaving was mentioned. 

Now let’s not forget about Patterson, he’s limited based on word load. But could be productive. 

15 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I'm going to have to disagree with  a LOT of this.

A "good Oline"?  You're sure about that?  At season's end, their offensive line ranked 30th in pass blocking.  On top of that, their LT (Eric Fisher), is still a free agent.  Their RG (Mark Glowinski), who was their second best OL, left to go to the Giants.  They've yet to secure a LT or a replacement for Glowinski.

He has "way more weapons"?  Like who?  Their two best WR's are Pittman (who's perfectly fine), and Paris Campbell who only played 6 games.  In Atlanta he had Gage and Pitts... I'll take Gage and Pitts, thanks.  Now yes, Gage left to go to Tampa, but he's a #3 WR.  He can be upgraded in the draft.  The Falcons have the 8th pick in the draft... they can get a WR there who'll be better than what Gage was.

"A far superior defense"?  I'll give you "better", I'm not going with "far superior".  Atlanta's blows, but Indy's is only league average.

He's going to a weaker conference?  In the NFC, there's Tampa Bay and LA... the next best are Green Bay, Dallas, Arizona, and San Fran and none of them are locks of any kind.  In the AFC there's Buffalo, Tennessee, Baltimore, Cincinnati, KC, Denver, Vegas, and the Chargers.  Tell me how is the AFC the weaker conference?

Outside of Jonathan Taylor, I'm not really seeing a massive upgrade in going from Atlanta to Indy.  Slight?  Sure, but nothing to gloat about.  His saving grace is that he gets to play the NFC East, Jax twice, Houston twice, and Pittsburgh.  Not so sure that playing the AFC West will be a positive, or playing New England or Minnesota.  I can see them finishing around anywhere between 7 and 9 wins.  I think Atlanta will be worse, but that's because their schedule is tougher, but I see them around 5 or 6 wins.

Vegas has the Colts win total at 9 and the Falcons at 7.5.

I said he goes to a weak division, not conference.

I don't see any reason whatsoever they can't go 5-1 in their division, if not sweep.

1 hour ago, Kopy said:

I said he goes to a weak division, not conference.

I don't see any reason whatsoever they can't go 5-1 in their division, if not sweep.

My bad with respect to the conference.  I will add, that doesn't affect anything else I said.

I'll disagree with you on the division.  Tennessee is a Super Bowl contender just like Tampa.  Jacksonville is potentially an improving team... Houston blows... as does the Saints and Panthers.  Tennessee and Tampa are teams that are likely to win 12 or more games.  Jacksonville has could be a 7-win team.  Houston, New Orleans, and Carolina are all 4 to 5-win teams.  At best, they're a push, at worst, the AFC South is better.