Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

BUF / CIN implications after Week 18

I think I ran through all the scenarios on ESPN's playoff generator, and this is what I found.  They have to make a decision on it before this weekend's games, right?  Is it fair just to wait and see what happens after this weekend to determine if the game is necessary to play?  

If in week 18 the following teams win, the remaining game has these implications, I think...

KC, Cin, Buf - If Cincy wins (1. KC, 2. Cin, 3. Buf), if Buf wins (1. Buf, 2. KC, 3. Cin) {implications for both teams}

KC, Cin, NE - If Cincy wins (1. KC, 2. Cin, 3. Buf), if Buf wins (1. KC, 2. Buf, 3. Cin) {implications for both teams}

KC, Bal, Buf - If Cincy wins (1. KC, 2. Buf, 3. Cin), if Buf wins (1. Buf, 2. KC, 3. Cin) {implications for Buffalo only}

KC, Bal, NE - If Cincy wins (1. KC, 2. Cin, 3. Buf), if Buf wins (1. KC, 2. Buf, 3. Cin) {implications for both teams}

LV, Cin, Buf - If Cincy wins (1. Cin, 2. Buf, 3. KC), if Buf wins (1. Buf, 2. KC, 3. Cin) {implications for both teams}

LV, Cin, NE - If Cincy wins (1. Cin, 2. KC, 3. Buf), if Buf wins (1. Buf, 2. KC, 3. Cin) {implications for both teams}

LV, Bal, Buf - If Cincy wins (1. Buf, 2. KC, 3. Cin), if Buf wins (1. Buf, 2. KC, 3. Cin) {implications for neither team}

LV, Bal, NE - If Cincy wins (1. KC, 2. Cin, 3. Buf), if Buf wins (1. KC, 2. Buf, 3. Cin) {implications for both teams}

am I forgetting any scenarios here?  Also the Chiefs play Saturday so we'll be able to eliminate half of these scenarios by 7:30 pm Eatsern time or so on Saturday...

worst case scenario for Chiefs would be the KC, Bal, and Buffalo scenario where the game has no meaning to the Bengals and they likely rest starters.

41 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

I think I ran through all the scenarios on ESPN's playoff generator, and this is what I found.  They have to make a decision on it before this weekend's games, right?  Is it fair just to wait and see what happens after this weekend to determine if the game is necessary to play?  

If in week 18 the following teams win, the remaining game has these implications, I think...

KC, Cin, Buf - If Cincy wins (1. KC, 2. Cin, 3. Buf), if Buf wins (1. Buf, 2. KC, 3. Cin) {implications for both teams}

1. KC, 2. Buf, 3. Cin

KC, Cin, NE - If Cincy wins (1. KC, 2. Cin, 3. Buf), if Buf wins (1. KC, 2. Buf, 3. Cin) {implications for both teams}

1. KC, 2. Cin, 3. Buf

KC, Bal, Buf - If Cincy wins (1. KC, 2. Buf, 3. Cin), if Buf wins (1. Buf, 2. KC, 3. Cin) {implications for Buffalo only}

1. KC, 2. Buf, 3. Cin

KC, Bal, NE - If Cincy wins (1. KC, 2. Cin, 3. Buf), if Buf wins (1. KC, 2. Buf, 3. Cin) {implications for both teams}

1. KC, 2. Buf, 3. Cin

LV, Cin, Buf - If Cincy wins (1. Cin, 2. Buf, 3. KC), if Buf wins (1. Buf, 2. KC, 3. Cin) {implications for both teams}

1. Buf, 2. KC, 3. Cin

LV, Cin, NE - If Cincy wins (1. Cin, 2. KC, 3. Buf), if Buf wins (1. Buf, 2. KC, 3. Cin) {implications for both teams}

1. KC, 2. Cin, 3. Buf

LV, Bal, Buf - If Cincy wins (1. Buf, 2. KC, 3. Cin), if Buf wins (1. Buf, 2. KC, 3. Cin) {implications for neither team}

1. Buf, 2. KC, 3. Cin

LV, Bal, NE - If Cincy wins (1. KC, 2. Cin, 3. Buf), if Buf wins (1. KC, 2. Buf, 3. Cin) {implications for both teams}

1. KC, 2. Buf, 3. Cin

am I forgetting any scenarios here?  Also the Chiefs play Saturday so we'll be able to eliminate half of these scenarios by 7:30 pm Eatsern time or so on Saturday...

taking it a step further, and the red is if the game is simply not played.

I bought my son divisional round tickets for Christmas. At a minimum if the Buf/ Cincy game isn't rescheduled, looks like we'll have a home game in the divisional round as well for sure.

6 minutes ago, posty said:

Buffalo beat KC in KC, Buffalo should be given the #1 seed...

they aren't going to award a team a seed if the win percentage is less.  I understand your premise, but just don't see anything like that playing out.  At the end of the day, KC ends up with the better win percent, which per nfl rules are how the seedings are determined before any tiebreakers are taken into account.

1 hour ago, posty said:

Buffalo beat KC in KC, Buffalo should be given the #1 seed...

Agreed.  

Well, they're not. 

https://www.nfl.com/standings/playoff-picture

To Break A Tie Within A Division

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

32 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

Well, they're not. 

https://www.nfl.com/standings/playoff-picture

To Break A Tie Within A Division

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Since when is Buffalo in the same division as KC?

5 minutes ago, posty said:

Since when is Buffalo in the same division as KC?

I understand what you are saying, but it's all I found on the NFL website.  Those, however, are the same rules applied for conference standings (which I think you are probably aware of as well).

Dude, I am just having some fun with the situation (not the almost death part, the "what to do" part)...  You being a Chiefs fan has been posting everything under the sun that favors the Chiefs and gives them the advantage...  I am just going the opposite way to get you riled up...  I honestly do not care what happens as I believe the Bills can still beat KC in either location...  I just want the Steelers to miss the playoffs...

12 minutes ago, posty said:

Dude, I am just having some fun with the situation (not the almost death part, the "what to do" part)...  You being a Chiefs fan has been posting everything under the sun that favors the Chiefs and gives them the advantage...  I am just going the opposite way to get you riled up...  I honestly do not care what happens as I believe the Bills can still beat KC in either location...  I just want the Steelers to miss the playoffs...

awww, that's sweet. :wub:

Based of the severity of the situation with Hamlin , the nfl needs to prove how much they appreciate their players, and show more concern for their health, that they should just cancel the playoffs.  

16 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Based of the severity of the situation with Hamlin , the nfl needs to prove how much they appreciate their players, and show more concern for their health, that they should just cancel the playoffs.  

“hear, hear!”

What's changed in the past 10 years?

(Start at 2:15, if it doesn't automatically.)

It's crazy ironic that they referenced this during the Tulane v USC Cotton Bowl game earlier on the day of Hamlin's injury.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

9 hours ago, weepaws said:

What? This wasn’t even necessarily a football injury.  Sadly this kid was a ticking time bomb and may have been lucky this happened where it did versus at home working out or something. But, cancel the playoffs? WTF?  Good luck with that.  Better to just fold the league and forget it all.  

Cmon, these over reactions are making this situation worse. The bengals and bills should play.  Why can’t the NFL just push everything back one week, lose the super bowl bye week which is stupid anyways and let things play out naturally?  If the bills and bengals are content to either take a tie or a a loss then that’s on them.  But anything outside of that is entirely unfair to the chiefs and other teams.  There has to be a reasonable attempt to sort this out the right way.  Cancelling games or just fudging numbers with so much at stake is a terrible idea. 

My post is all about sarcasm, I’m very disappointed that the game between the Bills and Bengals didn’t continue on Monday night, and I’m even more disappointed that the game wasn’t played Tuesday night.  

Play the damn game or, just cancel everything.  

Thanks.  

• Like 1

Since everyone knows that Buffalo is clearly the best AFC team, they should just let the Bengals and Bills play and count that game as the AFC title game.  Those are the top two teams in the AFC.   

5 hours ago, weepaws said:

My post is all about sarcasm, I’m very disappointed that the game between the Bills and Bengals didn’t continue on Monday night, and I’m even more disappointed that the game wasn’t played Tuesday night.  

Play the damn game or, just cancel everything.  

Thanks.  

They will know them by there rotten fruit ...what a devil worshipper ....

damn
/dam/

verb
  1. 1.
    (in Christian belief) be condemned by God to suffer eternal punishment in hell.
    "be forever damned with Lucifer

35 minutes ago, gcmmidwest said:

They will know them by there rotten fruit ...what a devil worshipper ....

damn
/dam/

verb
  1. 1.
    (in Christian belief) be condemned by God to suffer eternal punishment in hell.
    "be forever damned with Lucifer

Did you send that check, do you need the address for the Ronald McDonald House here in Reno again?

On 1/4/2023 at 11:21 AM, cmh6476 said:

welp, it's based on that third post now with the red options.  Chiefs win or Bills lose and Chiefs are the 1 seed.  Chiefs lose and Bills win and Chiefs are the two seed.  Cincinnati will be the two seed if they win and the Bills lose.

3 minutes ago, NelsonAlgren said:

How sure are you people that Buffalo has something to play for if KC wins?

or Cincinnati.  I think, if Buffalo loses and Cincinnati wins, the tiebreaker would be record against common opponents.  Someone want to look that up for us?

edit: i guess week 18 outcomes may play into that :dunno:

21 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

So let’s make the situation even worst.  Now that would be a very bad move, now the nfl gets to pick who gets the win, what ever happen to that’s why they play the game.  

4 minutes ago, NelsonAlgren said:

Michael Kay on ESPN is saying they might add an 8th team now so the Jets might still be alive.. Redskins too..

Has anyone heard that?

I hope they do this that, water down the playoffs ever more so.  

That would be terrific.  That would be just another reason why the game isn’t worth watching.  

8 minutes ago, weepaws said:

, now the nfl gets to pick who gets the win, what ever happen to that’s why they play the game.  

The Government and election officials do it.. Why not the NFL?

• Like 1

The Chiefs could have a great gesture with all that has happen to forfeit the #1 seed since they lost to both the Bills and Bengals.

12 minutes ago, gitrdun said:

The Chiefs could have a great gesture with all that has happen to forfeit the #1 seed since they lost to both the Bills and Bengals.

Also the only one to win 13 games.  Also that chiefs wire guy is a bills pr guy.   There seems to some talk that Buffalo is acknowledging and ok with taking a loss because they didn't want to play. 

1 hour ago, gitrdun said:

That was just the strategy of a superior team, lulling the two contenders into complacency with vanilla regular season games, and then snapping them off on the Official Home Field of the AFC Conference Championship (est. 2018).

I know, it's not very kind, but then Super Bowl Contenders often have a bit of a mean streak in them.