Sign in to follow this  
The Real timschochet

DeSantis and his stupid laws

I just hope that all these folks fleeing liberal locations do not vote liberal when they get to Florida and Texas in particular.  Voting in the same failed ideology that compelled you to escape makes no sense. My concern being that logic and liberalism are too often far apart and some of these people will certainly be those who voted in Democrats where places are turning into sh!tholes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Blue Horseshoe said:

PragerU spends more than any other formal established Conservative outlet on Big Social Media. By a large margin. 

If you spend money with Big Social Media, that operates as a type of immunity. For example, AOC spends more with the Big Social Media sphere for advertising than anyone else in Congress. She also has staffers with deep ties to Big Social Media. When she was caught lying about J6 ( i.e. claiming she was hiding and "rioters" were banging on her door trying to get in, it was later discovered she was in Katie Porter's office. In an entirely different building.  Scrubbed. I mean close to completely scrubbed out of the national daily media cycle almost immediately. She was also caught taking a fake photo against a fenceline, but no illegal immigrants were on the other side. Scrubbed. She had a situation where she was railing on about affordable housing for the elderly on fixed incomes in her district, but she also gave a tour of her new "place" which had all kinds of amenities and luxury that no one she advocated for could afford. Scrubbed. 

Nancy Pelosi's son, Paul, in a huge scandal in a business defrauding the elderly? A lot of it was scrubbed. Candace Owens, as soon as she joined The Daily Wire, a lot of her history got scrubbed. When Jack Dorsey ran Twitter, there was someone he hung up with and socialized with that was accused of being Anti-Semetic. Scrubbed. When Tim Pool did Joe Rogan, and the other guest was then Twitter's head of Trust & Safety, Vijaya Gadde, suddenly all his previous problems with Twitter disappeared. 

A majority of Americans get their daily news from Big Social Media. If you spend lots of money to buy ads with Big Social Media, "immunity" in an informal sense is implied. If you know someone on a personal level in Big Social Media somewhere, you get treated differently. In 2021, Mark Zuckerberg was in a Congressional hearing, and had to admit to Josh Hawley that through the "Task" platform and "Centra" platform, all of Big Social Media then and Big Tech "coordinated" their enforcement. So if you get immunity through Meta/Facebook, like PragerU with massive ad buys, you are effectively getting immunity in other places as well. 

You'll notice Dennis Prager gets almost no pushback from the activist MSM. He buys immunity with heavy ad dollars and he's Jewish. That means a large share of Big Finance and a lot of the back end of Hollywood would have a problem if he's touched. The Jewish angle is also why Ben Shapiro is not ever a major threat to be demonetized. 

Who do you know?

Who can make money off of you? 

That means more than partisan lines. 

Good post. Lots of food for thought in there. 

Maybe.....all these people leaving places like NYC and Cali....are just seeking "asylum" in Florida and Texas 🤔 😁

11 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

You have to put this on leadership, to include Desantis.  The writing has been on the wall for some time now.  People are migrating to Florida in significant numbers, so naturally there should have been some planning in terms of infrastructure to meet the resulting needs.  I am concerned that not enough attention was paid to the impacts of success in terms of people wanting to be there. 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

NY has a severe teacher shortage. 

I might suggest its more common than we really appreciate.  Think of kids today, we allow them to behave in a sh!tty way, because accountability is somehow "wrong" Who in their right mind would go into teaching, let alone stay in the profession?

Just now, RLLD said:

I might suggest its more common than we really appreciate.  Think of kids today, we allow them to behave in a sh!tty way, because accountability is somehow "wrong" Who in their right mind would go into teaching, let alone stay in the profession?

It’s just funny. Florida has “one” of the most severe teacher shortages in the country. How about we list the other places with the same issue? 

2 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Good post. Lots of food for thought in there. 

Do you agree with his anti-Semitic contention that Dennis Prager being Jewish means lots of big finance and Hollywood protection? 

10 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

It’s just funny. Florida has “one” of the most severe teacher shortages in the country. How about we list the other places with the same issue? 

To be honest, it's pretty much the entire country.

9 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

Do you agree with his anti-Semitic contention that Dennis Prager being Jewish means lots of big finance and Hollywood protection? 

It was more about purchasing add space and how big SM will leave you alone if you do. Makes sense? 

35 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

To be honest, it's pretty much the entire country.

So your prior post was just trolling then?

Just now, TBayXXXVII said:

So your prior post was just trolling then?

No.  It was an article about the topic of the thread.

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

No.  It was an article about the topic of the thread.

So you called out Florida, acknowledging that it's a national issue... for that reason?

edit: typo... "what" for "that"

5 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

So you called out Florida, acknowledging that it's a national issue... for that reason?

It's literally an article from Florida about the topic of the thread.

7 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

He’s so centrist. 

9 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

It's literally an article from Florida about the topic of the thread.

So when someone posts something about the education systems of the other 49 states, we should be expecting links from you about their teacher shortages and the situation not being great?

2 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

So when someone posts something about the education systems of the other 49 states, we should be expecting links from you about their teacher shortages and the situation not being great?

Sure.  Here you go.

My last kid is about to leave high school, next spring, and I can tell you this shortage is not new. It does seem to be getting worse, but it has been an issue of sorts for at least a decade. 

2 minutes ago, RLLD said:

My last kid is about to leave high school, next spring, and I can tell you this shortage is not new. It does seem to be getting worse, but it has been an issue of sorts for at least a decade. 

It's been happening for years but it's definitely worse.  Why would anyone want to become a teacher now?

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

It's been happening for years but it's definitely worse.  Why would anyone want to become a teacher now?

Ask the democrats. They have been running it for a long time, long before Desantis came along. 

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Ask the democrats. They have been running it for a long time, long before Desantis came along. 

I haven't seen the democrats or the republicans do anything to improve the situation yet.  Our governor is republican and she has pissed off the majority of teachers in Iowa.

10 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Its a great question.  We allow bad behaviors to such an extent that the position is just miserable now.

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I haven't seen the democrats or the republicans do anything to improve the situation yet.  Our governor is republican and she has pissed off the majority of teachers in Iowa.

School choice seems worth a shot. But democrats would rather continue to fail than try something new. It’s all about the kids. 

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

In what way is she pissing them off?  Money or policies?

3 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

School choice is why they are angry. It’s all about the kids. 

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

School choice is why they are angry. It’s all about the kids. 

Maybe.  I don't live in Iowa.  As for NJ, most of the time when I hear teachers complain, it's because of the school board/system and money.  Their complaints about money fall on deaf ears to me, but when it comes to policy, virtually every one of them that complains lives in a strong left district and they mostly vote Democrat.  I mean, how can you help people who flat out refuse to help themselves?  :dunno:

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Maybe.  I don't live in Iowa.  As for NJ, most of the time when I hear teachers complain, it's because of the school board/system and money.  Their complaints about money fall on deaf ears to me, but when it comes to policy, virtually every one of them that complains lives in a strong left district and they mostly vote Democrat.  I mean, how can you help people who flat out refuse to help themselves?  :dunno:

It’s funny, when a policy comes down to deal with problems with police, like body cams , review boards and the like, no one gives a rats ass what the cops think.  But change a policy, and we’re supposed to consider how the teachers feel. Nah. If it doesn’t violate your contract or labor laws deal with it. 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

It’s funny, when a policy comes down to deal with problems with police, like body cams , review boards and the like, no one gives a rats ass what the cops think.  But change a policy, and we’re supposed to consider how the teachers feel. Nah. If it doesn’t violate your contract or labor laws deal with it. 

Yep... two government entities, treated completely different.

While I’m critical of many of the Florida school board decisions, I don’t think they’re having any economic impact on Florida- yet. 

There is some speculation that Florida’s overall policies may have an impact on future business and convention visits. But that’s all it is: speculation. I’m personally skeptical that people are going to give up their trips to the sunshine state and Disneyworld because of these issues. 

2 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Yep... two government entities, treated completely different.

But shouldn’t they be? Teachers and police officers have very different roles in our society. 

16 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

But shouldn’t they be? Teachers and police officers have very different roles in our society. 

Seriously?  That's rather foolish.  Both have very important jobs and roles.  I see no reason why either should be treated differently.  Teachers are charged with developing the minds of the children and educating them to become successful adults.  Police are charged with providing a safety net for the public.  Both have high levels of responsibility in society.  Both are government funded.  I'd expect both to be handled similarly.  Tax payer money is funding their roles.  If the public feels that checks and balances are needed in police, there's no reason to not expect checks and balances for teachers.

People want dash and vest cams for cops.  Why?  Primarily to protect the cops, right?  Because we assume they're doing their job and we don't people making false claims and also giving the prosecution a stronger case, because it's no longer he said/she said, there's now video evidence.  What it also does is protect the public from overreach and making sure a citizens rights aren't being violated.  When they are, the cop is to be held accountable.

Why not the same for camera's in the classroom?  It's primarily to protect the teacher from frivolous claims made by students.  It protects and aids teachers in promoting themselves as good teachers, because that's what we're expecting from them.  What it also does is protect the students from being mistreated.  When something like that happens, the teacher is held accountable.

Back in the day, there was a lot of pushback from cops and their union about not wanting dash/body cam's.  What was the biggest reaction from Democrats (primarily)?  It was "Why, what are you afraid of".  How come there's no reaction similar for people wanting the same for teachers?

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

The new voucher system.

10 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

The new voucher system.

I'm not a big proponent of giving public money to fund private education.  That said, I not a big opponent either.  I get the idea of everyone chipping in to pay for public education... when you have kids in school or not.  I am also not against having a higher tax rate for those with kids in school as opposed to those who don't.  That being said, I'm not sure I'm surprised at the outcome of the voucher system in Iowa, after reading up on it "a little".

People aren't happy with the public school system.  They aren't happy with the tax money funding a system they don't approve of nor a system they feel they can change.  Teachers shouldn't be upset by it though.  It would mean less kids in their classroom and a better teacher/student ratio.  Theoretically, it should make their jobs easier.

The ONLY reason why I don't think teachers would like the voucher system is because the public school teachers are going to find out that the majority of the students leaving their current school for a private school, is the better students.  In theory, one would look in the mirror and ask, "why is this happening?"  If you're honest with yourself, you'd come to the conclusion of what I said in the prior paragraph.  The parents don't like the direction of the school system.  If teachers are upset by that, they should approach the board en masse and complain.  My guess is that the vast majority don't feel there's anything wrong with the school system and think it's everyone else's fault.

4 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I'm not a big proponent of giving public money to fund private education.  That said, I not a big opponent either.  I get the idea of everyone chipping in to pay for public education... when you have kids in school or not.  I am also not against having a higher tax rate for those with kids in school as opposed to those who don't.  That being said, I'm not sure I'm surprised at the outcome of the voucher system in Iowa, after reading up on it "a little".

People aren't happy with the public school system.  They aren't happy with the tax money funding a system they don't approve of nor a system they feel they can change.  Teachers shouldn't be upset by it though.  It would mean less kids in their classroom and a better teacher/student ratio.  Theoretically, it should make their jobs easier.

The ONLY reason why I don't think teachers would like the voucher system is because the public school teachers are going to find out that the majority of the students leaving their current school for a private school, is the better students.  In theory, one would look in the mirror and ask, "why is this happening?"  If you're honest with yourself, you'd come to the conclusion of what I said in the prior paragraph.  The parents don't like the direction of the school system.  If teachers are upset by that, they should approach the board en masse and complain.  My guess is that the vast majority don't feel there's anything wrong with the school system and think it's everyone else's fault.

From what I can remember, the general public in Iowa were upset with the voucher program because Reynolds did not run on that policy.  A lot of people would not have voted for her if they knew that was what she was going to do.  It's too late now so we'll just have to see how it works.

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

From what I can remember, the general public in Iowa were upset with the voucher program because Reynolds did not run on that policy.  A lot of people would not have voted for her if they knew that was what she was going to do.  It's too late now so we'll just have to see how it works.

It's the public that's not happy?  I thought you said it was the teachers?

Just now, TBayXXXVII said:

It's the public that's not happy?  I thought you said it was the teachers?

Correct.  The teachers I know were not happy with it and the same with a lot of the public.  None of it matters now though.  She is who the majority voted for and this is what she decided to do with our schools.

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

Correct.  The teachers I know were not happy with it and the same with a lot of the public.  None of it matters now though.  She is who the majority voted for and this is what she decided to do with our schools.

I'm actually surprised the public is against it.  That's not true, entirely.  I can totally understand why Democrats don't like it.  In theory, I think everyone should be against a policy like that because as I said earlier, I don't think public funds should go to private school education.  That said, something like that wouldn't sway my vote.

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I'm actually surprised the public is against it.  That's not true, entirely.  I can totally understand why Democrats don't like it.  In theory, I think everyone should be against a policy like that because as I said earlier, I don't think public funds should go to private school education.  That said, something like that wouldn't sway my vote.

I remember seeing a decent amount of republicans upset with it because they didn't know she was going to do it before they voted.