WhiteWonder

2023 Draft and Season Discussion

4 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

@dcb291 you ready to go Monday?

I've been ready. The draft order was not very kind to me. Figured I'd wait until closer to the official start.

• Like 1

Will be interesting to see if Scherzer or Verlander was the better choice. 

1 hour ago, cmh6476 said:

I was hoping he'd take option C. We are in the first round and I'm officially entering the season with one (1) player that ranks in the top 20 at their position. 

3 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

As I said, getting the first overall pick was actually a bad thing. Best case scenario would have been picking after Detroit and before Texas. Once the dice rolls took that possibility off the table, I was never getting more than 1 of the only 3 players I give a 💩 about, so picking last would have been no difference. In fact, it would have been better for the supplemental thing. 

I was never taking the other guy. He left town and he's kind of a b****. His ceiling is the best in baseball but his floor is also the lowest of the 3. If he hits his ceiling and I passed, that won't be the difference between winning or losing the league. But the other way around might be.

Funny that at 40 years old, I view Verlander as the safest of the 3. Assuming health, Scherzer will have more K but Verlander may have better ERA and WHIP. W and QS should be similar. I just view Scherzer as more likely to deal with nagging injuries. 

4 minutes ago, dcb291 said:

Funny that at 40 years old, I view Verlander as the safest of the 3. Assuming health, Scherzer will have more K but Verlander may have better ERA and WHIP. W and QS should be similar. I just view Scherzer as more likely to deal with nagging injuries. 

I honestly don't disagree on Verlander, I was just hoping my team would have more than one player (pre-supplemental) that ranks in the top 175. 😂

On 3/9/2023 at 12:26 PM, lambert58 said:

Obviously Contreras is huge for me.  One of the better hitting catchers as an exclusive now. 

I am very excited to see what Jordan Walker can do as a rookie.  Only 20 years old. #4 MLB prospect.  Tearing up this spring by leading in HR, RBI, OPS.   Slot him in front of Goldschmidt, Arenado, and Contreras and he could have a Monster year!   

How come dude look 43? :ninja:

https://prnt.sc/aHeBiT4hFYaP

Time to show them losers over at Dugout HardBallers who's boss. :bandana:

Let's get things kicked off by 10 am EST if we can @Burt @Mookz 

We have a bit over 2 weeks to do the following: regular draft... CMH entering rosters... i'll do the order generator for the supplemental like last season... then the 2 round supplemental. 

I don't expect anything to take very long but CMH or whoever it is that enters the rosters prior to the supplemental will need some time. Having the rosters entered prior to the supplemental makes it nice and neat to see which players are available. :thumbsup:  once the supplemental is complete, each owner can pick up their own supplemental players. 

3 minutes ago, Mookz said:

Time to show them losers over at Dugout HardBallers who's boss. :bandana:

is this some cryptic message that you've secretly been in that league with me and I never knew? :lol:

1 hour ago, WhiteWonder said:

is this some cryptic message that you've secretly been in that league with me and I never knew? :lol:

I was just perusing teh geek leagues and saw that they are like the only other active baseball league.  :D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

What’s up? I already picked

You are on the clock for the start of round 2.    

2 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

I already picked Drury 

ah you edited your post rather than making a new pick, which is why some of us missed it ;)

What is the URL to the league at Yahoo?  Also, make sure it is public so one can follow again...

44 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Oh yah my bad I made the pick last night 

Ah, fack, my bad too, I noticed you had "reserved" for your second pick in the same post but then I forgot to scroll back up there again later.

46 minutes ago, Mookz said:

Ah, fack, my bad too, I noticed you had "reserved" for your second pick in the same post but then I forgot to scroll back up there again later.

Yah I left it blank just in case you wanted to pick Jordan lyles instead of manny 

2 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Yah I left it blank just in case you wanted to pick Jordan lyles instead of manny 

I flipped a coin. 😏

Had 5 guys I wanted in the first 2 rounds.   3 of them were also eligible for Mora (and others). 

I knew I was taking Arozarena or Adolis Garcia in round 1.  I was afraid if I took Garcia I could miss out on both Lance Lynn and Mikolis with Mora so I took Arozarena so he would have to make the call on Garcia or those 2. 

40 minutes ago, lambert58 said:

I knew I was taking Arozarena or Adolis Garcia in round 1.  I was afraid if I took Garcia I could miss out on both Lance Lynn and Mikolis with Mora so I took Arozarena so he would have to make the call on Garcia or those 2. 

yeah yeah <_<

Well, that was all interesting after my first pick. Obviously deGrom and Scherzer were gone. Had a lot of players snagged from my list, including guys I was never going to pick like Baez. He's on my list I just have so many SS eligible exclusives. The guy I was really hoping for was Thor. I don't know how well he will ultimately do but he has looked good in spring training and having a Dodger pitcher isn't bad. I ended up with Stroman who I actually prefer to Bassitt and then wasn't really sure who to pick next. It feels like Murphy kind of kills d'Arnaud's value but then again Contreras was there last year and Travis was still useful. Maybe he gets some extra time at DH or maybe gets traded at some point. 

I was kind of hoping Toronto had someone else they needed in round 2. I expected them to pick Robbie Ray in round 3 and figured if both Stroman and Bassitt fell, I could pass and one of them would make it to the 4/5 turn by default. Wishful thinking. 

1 hour ago, lambert58 said:

Had 5 guys I wanted in the first 2 rounds.   3 of them were also eligible for Mora (and others). 

Its always a fight with you (and the Rays) in the first few rounds for me.  I knew I wasn't getting Semien after the dice roll, and didn't expect to get DeGrom this year, so I figured I'd be locked into Adolis first round, or second if I went Darvish.  I was expecting you to grab Lynn before Matz, though, so I'm happy he fell to me.  I've had a few lucky breaks so far in the draft, and think I'll improve on my last place finish from last year at this pace. 😅

11 minutes ago, Jim Mora said:

(and the Rays) 

I knew you'd be taking Lowe there. 

Especially after getting Lance Lynn, I figured you might not be looking at Springs but I couldn't risk the Red Sox. I'm very high on Springs this year. 

10 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Especially after getting Lance Lynn, I figured you might not be looking at Springs but I couldn't risk the Red Sox. I'm very high on Springs this year. 

I was going to take Springs if you took Lowe, I really needed the 1B, but I would have loved a DeGrom/Lynn/Springs/Gray rotation - pitching has always been my weak spot, but that would be a hell of a team to run with.

11 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Was hoping he would fall one more round. Hoping J.D. puts up a good season out in LA though...I too was very high on Springs for this year just didn't pull the trigger.

1 hour ago, Jim Mora said:

Its always a fight with you (and the Rays) in the first few rounds for me.  I knew I wasn't getting Semien after the dice roll, and didn't expect to get DeGrom this year, so I figured I'd be locked into Adolis first round, or second if I went Darvish.  I was expecting you to grab Lynn before Matz, though, so I'm happy he fell to me.  I've had a few lucky breaks so far in the draft, and think I'll improve on my last place finish from last year at this pace. 😅

I wanted Matz and Mikolas to make site I had all the Cardinals SP.   if I grabbed Lynn and lost Matz or Mikolas die to injury I am screwed if Lynn goes down like he did last year for me.  That was painful.  At least if Matz or Mikolas goes down I have a replacement being called up. (Hopefully). 

I also think the Cards offe

se will count for a few wins (or less losses) than the Sox.  Deep lineup. 

first player finally stolen from me at 3.5 with Soler :mad:

14 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

first player finally stolen from me at 3.5 with Soler :mad:

I didn't want to...trust me.

Mateo may end up being a wasted pick if he gets benched, but otherwise I felt like I could wield him as needed as a SB and triples threat.  RHR, curious what your thoughts on him were.  🤔

10 hours ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

What’s up? I already picked

you have no post to edit this time :lol:

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

you have no post to edit this time :lol:

Meh, we did well today. I’m sure RH will pop in soon.

I could go ahead and make my next two picks but I’m going to hold off just so there’s no freak injuries 😆 

21 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

5.3 Jordan Lyles, SP, KC

You technically picked him before Mookz made his round 4 selection but now it’s good 👍🏼 

1 minute ago, Mookz said:

4.4 - Alex Cobb, P, SF

Grrr 

Its okay. I wanted him but I already have my picks for rounds 4 and 5 so I knew I wasn’t getting him unless you just totally forgot him

1 minute ago, WhiteWonder said:

Grrr 

Its okay. I wanted him but I already have my picks for rounds 4 and 5 so I knew I wasn’t getting him unless you just totally forgot him

I almost went with Lyles out of spite.  <_<