Sign in to follow this  
Cloaca du jour

Who is the best fisherman on the forearm?

40 minutes ago, TommyGavin said:

That’s all I know. I vaguely remember fishing in a stream in upstate NY but that had to be 40+ years ago. 

Ocean was too far away growing up so we always fished in streams in lakes. Been deep sea fishing a few times but that’s about the extent of it. Wouldn’t even call that fishing. More like reeling since they baited, cast, took the fish off, and cleaned & filleted them. 

I live on Long Island and just 15 minutes from the ocean. Had a friend that was a commercial fisherman so back in the day I had all the perks - bars- boats - smoke houses. He was kind of famous in the community. Good times. 

Someday I would like to fish the Big Blackfoot River, the river in the novel and movie a River Runs Through It.  I believe I will call my brother later today and see if he wants to road trip up there this spring or early summer and spend a few days exploring it.  No time like the present.  Maybe we can make it a two week vacation.  We could head to the Bella Coola and run it one last time, we enjoyed doing so together 25 years ago and might just still be physically able to do so again if the runnoff is not too extreme.  We could  maybe swing by the Columbia for one last catch of a sturgeon.

Suddenly I feel very good.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TommyGavin said:

I live on Long Island and just 15 minutes from the ocean. Had a friend that was a commercial fisherman so back in the day I had all the perks - bars- boats - smoke houses. He was kind of famous in the community. Good times. 

Sounds like a pretty awesome time. Any time you have a friend with a boat you always have a good time :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

Someday I would like to fish the Big Blackfoot River, the river in the novel and movie a River Runs Through It.  I believe I will call my brother later today and see if he wants to road trip up there this spring or early summer and spend a few days exploring it.  No time like the present.  Maybe we can make it a two week vacation.  We could head to the Bella Coola and run it one last time, we enjoyed doing so together 25 years ago and might just still be physically able to do so again if the runnoff is not too extreme.  We could  maybe swing by the Columbia for one last catch of a sturgeon.

Suddenly I feel very good.

My brother is of the opinion we can no longer do this by canoe or kayak, but we are going to do it by raft.  I best get in shape.

I'm thinking 45 minutes on the bike each morning, 45 minutes of rucking each evening, and a half hour lift 3 days and a half hour swim the alternating three days.  On Sundays I will have to get out and paddle for three to four hours. The morning biking I already do.  I do not have tackle appropriate for sturgeon anymore.  I get to spend some money at the Bass Pro Shop.  I have a stack of gift cards just waiting to be spent.

6 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

My brother is of the opinion we can no longer do this by canoe or kayak, but we are going to do it by raft.  I best get in shape.

There is no tomorrow!

1 minute ago, BeenHereBefore said:

There is no tomorrow!

Our challenges will be age and limitations from past orthopedic injuries.  We both have several metal parts now.  Far different from our youth.

7 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

Our challenges will be age and limitations from past orthopedic injuries.  We both have several metal parts now.  Far different from our youth.

Ohh well good luck to you guys and sounds fun.

48 minutes ago, WhiskeyCash said:

Sounds like a pretty awesome time. Any time you have a friend with a boat you always have a good time :thumbsup: 

My brother-in-law and his uncle both have nice bass boats and we all fish together a lot.  It's perfect for me.  The only thing better than owning a boat is having friends who do.

30 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

I'm thinking 45 minutes on the bike each morning, 45 minutes of rucking each evening, and a half hour lift 3 days and a half hour swim the alternating three days.  On Sundays I will have to get out and paddle for three to four hours. The morning biking I already do.  I do not have tackle appropriate for sturgeon anymore.  I get to spend some money at the Bass Pro Shop.  I have a stack of gift cards just waiting to be spent.

I have a problem when it comes to buying fishing gear.  It's become a habit.

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I have a problem when it comes to buying fishing gear.  It's become a habit.

Actually thinking of just renting tackle for the sturgeon.  I likely wont use it again.  That way I can spend on a new fly rod and maybe invest in a new tent.  My current one has seen some years.  Maybe a new real for my spinning rod as well.  

Suddenly the itch is strong.  

2 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

Actually thinking of just renting tackle for the sturgeon.  I likely wont use it again.  That way I can spend on a new fly rod and maybe invest in a new tent.  My current one has seen some years.  Maybe a new real for my spinning rod as well.  

Suddenly the itch is strong.  

The itch hits me hard this time of year.  Winter sucks but it keeps my passion for fishing strong.

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

The itch hits me hard this time of year.  Winter sucks but it keeps my passion for fishing strong.

I like fishing.  I love fishing new water.  I really love fishing while running white water and camping.  I particularly love it when eating depends on success.  I have been stuck on lakes and reserviors for the past few years while replacing knees and a hip.  Time to get back out there.

1 hour ago, WhiskeyCash said:

Ocean was too far away growing up so we always fished in streams in lakes. Been deep sea fishing a few times but that’s about the extent of it. Wouldn’t even call that fishing. More like reeling since they baited, cast, took the fish off, and cleaned & filleted them. 

Right? 

31 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

The only thing better than owning a boat is having friends who do.

This is the best in my opinion. Get to use it for free all the time. No cost to you besides beer and food 

18 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

Speaking of Apollo Creed, anyone going to check out the new movie about his son? I’m a sucker for it, I’ll be there. 

I'll probably wait awhile but did see the other 2 and liked them. If I'm going to the theater it's Cocaine Bear.

Looks like the Blackfoot will be another year to float it.  Reservations for campsites on the river are hard to come by.  Looks like i should have decided to look into this two weeks ago when reservations opened. Still, on the way north we will probably stop and walk in for a few hours.

5 hours ago, Engorgeous George said:

I like fishing.  I love fishing new water.  I really love fishing while running white water and camping.  I particularly love it when eating depends on success.  I have been stuck on lakes and reserviors for the past few years while replacing knees and a hip.  Time to get back out there.

When I went to the boundary waters we had to fish for food and it was great. I remember pulling in a huge pike that we stressed out on because we needed it for supper. Never forget that trip. 

Hurricane season is over, the Pathfinder is sold, The new Scout is on order and will be here in two weeks. Just in time for Cobia season! 

LET'S GO! 

10 hours ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Hurricane season is over, the Pathfinder is sold, The new Scout is on order and will be here in two weeks. Just in time for Cobia season! 

LET'S GO! 

outboard center consoles are for faygs. diesel express all day!

46 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

diesel express all day

I prefer manually propelled row boats myself. 

On 3/1/2023 at 12:06 PM, TommyGavin said:

On Golden Pond ?

On Golden Blonde boystown 

I have two houses both on lakes with fish. I have fished since I was a child.
I am one of the most patient humans.

I am the least productive, focking fisherman, given all of that maybe on the planet

52 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

I have two houses both on lakes with fish. I have fished since I was a child.
I am one of the most patient humans.

I am the least productive, focking fisherman, given all of that maybe on the planet

Catfish is about as far as I get in freshwater. Ever go jugging? It's easy and awesome! 

1 hour ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Catfish is about as far as I get in freshwater. Ever go jugging? It's easy and awesome! 

Oh yeah, I mean I can lazy ass throw out a ball of whatever it is and let it sit on the bottom until a catfish runs into it. 

I mean I used to go jugging in college and pick up some Fatties is that what you mean? Ha

No, what’s that?

26 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

Oh yeah, I mean I can lazy ass throw out a ball of whatever it is and let it sit on the bottom until a catfish runs into it. 

I mean I used to go jugging in college and pick up some Fatties is that what you mean? Ha

No, what’s that?

Both rule, haha 😆

• Haha 1

I’ve been deep sea fishing numerous times in the Gulf Of Mexico that I can count. Ive had great luck and bad luck through the years out there in the salt. Yellowfine tuna, red snapper, hammerhead sharks (I released all sharks), jack cravilles, amberjacks (The best and hardest fighting fish I’ve ever encountered. It’s like pulling up a VW filled with cement), bow fishing in the marshes in the inner coastal Gulf, and fishing for sword fish in Acapico. Fresh water and saltwater fish from th banks, Zero luck. I couldn’t catch ‘em with dynamite.

1 minute ago, BunnysBastatrds said:

I’ve been deep sea fishing numerous times in the Gulf Of Mexico that I can count. Ive had great luck and bad luck through the years out there in the salt. Yellowfine tuna, red snapper, hammerhead sharks (I released all sharks), jack cravilles, amberjacks (The best and hardest fighting fish I’ve ever encountered. It’s like pulling up a VW filled with cement)

Damn Bunny, nice!! Now you're talking my language! I've only fished the Gulf once and that was on a lame Cobia charter. I would love to get more offshore in the Gulf though, bucket list. 

15 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Damn Bunny, nice!! Now you're talking my language! I've only fished the Gulf once and that was on a lame Cobia charter. I would love to get more offshore in the Gulf though, bucket list. 

Check this site out.   Been going there for years. Great place for Louisiana fishing info.

http://rodnreel.com/