Sign in to follow this  
supermike80

It's not March Madness if we aren't being force fed women's basketball

Just now, thegeneral said:

judging by highlights the women’s game has gotten quite a bit better. The skill level is ramping up quite a bit. 

It has for sure...

Just now, BufordT said:

don't be too impressed. women use smaller basketballs. take a women's basketball to the courts some day.... you'll think your jump shot is the shiznit

ive played with smaller basketballs so I could dunk. I never found them any easier to shoot with but probably if I had gotten used to them as opposed to just the occasional pickup game. 

you're talking 1 inch. its a difference, but you still need skill

1 minute ago, posty said:

It has for sure...

This lady on Iowa can shoot the lights out.

The athleticism gap is hard to overcome though when you are used to watching the men’s game. 

17 minutes ago, thegeneral said:

This lady on Iowa can shoot the lights out.

The athleticism gap is hard to overcome though when you are used to watching the men’s game. 

UConn's Azzi Fudd has such a sweet shot and a quick release...  When she gets hot, she is incredible to watch...

And yeah, Caitlin Clark can really score...

As for the gap, it is true, but if you go in knowing that you are going to see fundamentals and team work and not just dunking and constant iso plays, it is easy to adapt to watch...

I don't care to watch much women's college basketball in general but I've watched every Iowa's game this year.  They have been great to watch for a while now.  They've been more entertaining to watch than the men's team, they've even been drawing larger crowds at home.

My wife played college basketball and coaches high school girls basketball now so I'm use to watching.  Volleyball and softball are two women's sports I enjoy watching as well.

19 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I don't care to watch much women's college basketball in general but I've watched every Iowa's game this year.  They have been great to watch for a while now.  They've been more entertaining to watch than the men's team, they've even been drawing larger crowds at home.

My wife played college basketball and coaches high school girls basketball now so I'm use to watching.  Volleyball and softball are two women's sports I enjoy watching as well.

The one dislike I have about softball are the ones that are slap hitters...  It is so annoying to see them start to run and then slap the ball to the left side of the infield...  Most of the time they have a foot out of the box, or damn close to it, which the umps never seem to call...  Unfortunately that is the way softball has become...  I do think they need to move the bases back to like 70 or 75 feet...

5 hours ago, The Real timschochet said:

It seems that some of you guys are only interested in girls sports when a transsexual wants to compete. When that happens suddenly girls sports are a huge deal that need to be protected. Otherwise they’re being forced on us. Typical chauvinist bull crap. 

yah, we know your crazed position on this.  everyone else wants politics out of sports.  you want to shove it together and guilt trip and personal attack everyone about it you focking bot 010101010101000 beep boop.  you have no social skills, you are unaware of how it looks.

6 hours ago, The Real timschochet said:

It seems that some of you guys are only interested in girls sports when a transsexual wants to compete. When that happens suddenly girls sports are a huge deal that need to be protected. Otherwise they’re being forced on us. Typical chauvinist bull crap. 

This is the prefect post to illustrate what an idiot you are.  One is from the perspective of watching women's sports.  The other is from the perspective of women competing in sports.

I believe Supermike when he says he doesn't like watching women's sports.  I'd also wager that if he has a daughter he would attend her swim meets and not want her to compete against men.  Those two things aren't mutually exclusive like you try to claim, but, you're too dumb to think about it before you run your mouth.  

2 hours ago, posty said:

UConn's Azzi Fudd has such a sweet shot and a quick release...  When she gets hot, she is incredible to watch...

And yeah, Caitlin Clark can really score...

As for the gap, it is true, but if you go in knowing that you are going to see fundamentals and team work and not just dunking and constant iso plays, it is easy to adapt to watch...

I have heard this fundamentals thing for a long time and it doesn’t really help for me when watching.

Not really convinced it’s true for that matter either, that women’s Bball is much better fundamentally. The men’s game is so much more athletic that crisp bounce passes and motion screens etc don’t really work as well because they can recover so quickly.

The three point shot is what I consider more damaging to the men’s game if people think there is something that has to be fixed (I don’t). 

I believe the best college women’s teams win because they have the best players - just like the men’s game - in the long run. 

8 hours ago, RogerDodger said:

The Amazon commercial with the chick(?) sporting a mustache is unacceptable.  

Holy cow I just saw this.  I had to go right up to the tv to make sure I was seeing things correctly.

8 hours ago, The Real timschochet said:

Not true.  I’d gladly attend a women’s golf tournament so I could see Paige Spiranac walking the course wearing this.

I have to say though - one of the better developments the last couple years is the tight short-shorts.  There was a chick in the Notre Dame game yesterday that was getting me all hot and bothered..

25 minutes ago, Patented Phil said:

Not true.  I’d gladly attend a women’s golf tournament so I could see Paige Spiranac walking the course wearing this.

I think that’s an old photo. Paige has gotten fat. She was Inside Edition’s (?) correspondent for the superbowl. She interviewed each team’s cheerleaders and was the least attractive in the room. 

3 minutes ago, RogerDodger said:

I think that’s an old photo. Paige has gotten fat. She was Inside Edition’s (?) correspondent for the superbowl. She interviewed each team’s cheerleaders and was the least attractive in the room. 

Well that ruined my night.  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, RogerDodger said:

BLASPHEMY!!

I'm hoping Caitlin Clark wins NPOY.  Not sure I can take that award seriously anymore if she doesn't.

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I'm hoping Caitlin Clark wins NPOY.  Not sure I can take that award seriously anymore if she doesn't.

I agree...  With the numbers she has put up, if she doesn't win, something is really wrong...

The main competition, IMO, would be Maddy Siegrist from Villanova...  Scored at least 20 points in every game this season (29.2 average) and over nine rebound per game... She definitely doesn't have the assist numbers that Clark has, but she has Nova in the Sweet 16 as well...

I agree...  With the numbers she has put up, if she doesn't win, something is really wrong...

The main competition, IMO, would be Maddy Siegrist from Villanova...  Scored at least 20 points in every game this season (29.2 average) and over nine rebound per game... She definitely doesn't have the assist numbers that Clark has, but she has Nova in the Sweet 16 as well...

I think it comes down to Clark and Boston.  Boston gets all the love because her team is #1 and she won it last year.  Stats don't matter when your team never loses.

8 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I think it comes down to Clark and Boston.  Boston gets all the love because her team is #1 and she won it last year.  Stats don't matter when your team never loses.

Maybe, but Boston hasn't been as good number-wise as she was last year...  She doesn't have to carry the team on her shoulders like Clark and Siegrist has to...

Maybe, but Boston hasn't been as good number-wise as she was last year...  She doesn't have to carry the team on her shoulders like Clark and Siegrist has to...

I agree 100% but that's not what others will have you believe.  Their fans are nuts.

On 3/20/2023 at 8:21 PM, RogerDodger said:

Fat? Fake news.

On 3/20/2023 at 12:36 PM, The Real timschochet said:

Well, that's a pretty ignorant take.  Not surprised though.

58 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Caitlin Clark is continuing to break records.  She is incredible.

She is a pretty darn good player...

She just needs to drop complaining every time an official calls a foul on her or a play doesn't go her way...  You have watched her more than I have, but in the games I have watched, that seems to be a consistent thing with her...

2 minutes ago, posty said:

She just needs to drop complaining every time an official calls a foul on her or a play doesn't go her way...  You have watched her more than I have, but in the games I have watched, that seems to be a consistent thing with her...

If she wasn't on Iowa I wouldn't like her much because of the complaining and flopping.  I'm glad she's on my team though.  She makes watching women's basketball very enjoyable.

3 minutes ago, posty said:

Female version of LeBron?

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

No one can reach the levels of LeBron.

That's a good thing.  Glad she's not that bad.

14 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

If she wasn't on Iowa I wouldn't like her much because of the complaining and flopping.  I'm glad she's on my team though.  She makes watching women's basketball very enjoyable.

That is just a huge minus in my book...  That just gets annoying with the constant complaining when things don't go a players way...

Just play the game and if a call goes against you, unless it is really obvious, let it go...  I know in the heat of the battle, it can be difficult, but in the women's games this weekend, it seemed like 90% of the fouls called against someone, the player complained...  Maybe that is the norm now, but if it is, that is not a good thing for sure...

3 minutes ago, posty said:

That is just a huge minus in my book...  That just gets annoying with the constant complaining when things don't go a players way...

Just play the game and if a call goes against you, unless it is really obvious, let it go...  I know in the heat of the battle, it can be difficult, but in the women's games this weekend, it seemed like 90% of the fouls called against someone, the player complained...  Maybe that is the norm now, but if it is, that is not a good thing for sure...

I see it happen in just about every sport at every level now.

The NCAW Tourney has been big this year.  The Iowa/Louisiana game Sunday night had 2.499 million viewers.  That's more than any NBA game on ESPN this year.  Pretty impressive.

5 minutes ago, League Champion said:

Any hot chicks in Women's basketball or do they all look like Diesel Dykes? 

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

Lots of people find her attractive.

Lots of people find honey boo boo attractive too I would imagine...That doesn't make it so.

1 minute ago, supermike80 said:

Lots of people find honey boo boo attractive too I would imagine...That doesn't make it so.

Maybe it's because I've watched her for so long.  I like her.