Mike FF Today

Round Four - Seven Commentary - July Mock 2023

With the addition of Kellen Moore as the OC, I think that Herbert is going to crush it this season.

ICEMAN

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ICEMAN said:

With the addition of Kellen Moore as the OC, I think that Herbert is going to crush it this season.

ICEMAN

I think you are right.   I did think about holding off on my Josh Allen PIck to try to get Herbert here (pick after yours)

I suspect that would not have worked.

I then grabbed another RB.  because I can flex him out and play 3 RB's  and because I got Jacobs(who could hold out) I felt the need to get another RB.  Walker was one of the two remaining RB's on the board who I liked that dont have health or off field issues so I decided to go for it.   I realize this means I wont be deep at WR but from this point on, the dropoff isnt all that large for WR anyways so I am hoping I can fill those positions with reasonable players who have some upside.

Happy to see I was correct about the QB run in 3/4. Now I'm going to assume the same thing is going to happen to TEs.

For what I expect is not the last time, Guru swiped me.  Jackson was the last QB in my "I want him" tier, so it looks like I'll punt that position for now.  After looking at the RB's I see a virtual wasteland approaching.  Sanders (and maybe one other) was the last one I felt really confident in.  I believe the rest all have large question marks attached.  Carolina was a top ten rushing unit last year and Carolina led the league in rushing after trading McCaffrey.  Sanders was brought in by a coaching staff who is very familiar with him (Reich, Staley) and word is they want to get him more involved as a pass catcher (which is excellent news in a PPR).  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mr. Landry said:

For what I expect is not the last time, Guru swiped me.  Jackson was the last QB in my "I want him" tier, so it looks like I'll punt that position for now.  After looking at the RB's I see a virtual wasteland approaching.  Sanders (and maybe one other) was the last one I felt really confident in.  I believe the rest all have large question marks attached.  Carolina was a top ten rushing unit last year and Carolina led the league in rushing after trading McCaffrey.  Sanders was brought in by a coaching staff who is very familiar with him (Reich, Staley) and word is they want to get him more involved as a pass catcher (which is excellent news in a PPR).  

Great info.

fully agree. 

I was caught off guard by how fast the draft was going today.  I had my first player sniped with Kittle.  I really wanted to go Kittle/Fields on the turn there.  I'm happy with Fields though.

1 hour ago, Mr. Landry said:

https://tenor.com/LJOX.gif

• Haha 1

If Washington could get Terry McLaurin a QB he'd be a sure-fire WR1.  As it is, he's had the likes of Case Keenum, Dwayne Haskins, Colt McCoy, Kyle Allen, Taylor Heinicke and Garret Gilbert throwing him the ball.  He's still put up three straight 1,000+ yard seasons (and one 919 yarder).  It's looking like Sam Howell will be taking the reigns, which doesn't instill a great deal of confidence, but Scary Terry appears QB proof and in Howell's one game last year McLaurin saw a 33% target share.  So he's got that going for him.

• Like 1

despite what everyone says, I do not think Hopkins is finished.

PFF's analysis says he still gets open on a sick percentage of all routes he runs.    he had a bad season by his standards, but also had a backup QB for most of his games played and he still produced at a decent level.   Tanehill is better than Colt McCoy or whoever they rolled out so I still see  a bounceback.    The days of 1700 yards receiving may be over but I still see WR1 numbers for him.

according to draft boards I took him maybe a round early but I didnt want to take the chance he doesnt return back to me.   if he does what I think he will do I do think hes still better than everyone on the board at WR.

was hoping Mattison might fall to 5.10, when he didn't I decided to grab my QB target. Only 1 team picking after me didn't have a QB but Lawrence is my "next difference maker" at QB for 2023 so didn't want to risk it. Tossup between him and Fields. Fields might have a little more upside but also more risk. 

Cook could pay off nicely and I took him partially because of bye weeks at RB. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike FF Today said:

I have robb's pick at 5.11

Thanks for making it Mike!

And again.  As I saw Dobbins slowly dropping to me I stood up to do a happy dance with both fingers crossed.  Then I saw Guru only had one running back and I sat back down.  Dobbins was in the discussion when I took Sanders two rounds ago, so it was a gut punch losing him by a pick.  Thanks, Guru.

As the RB's left that I'm interested in all fill the same tier, I decided to pivot.  Goedert is the last TE that I feel very confident about.  There are a couple of others that I like, but they carry question marks.  Goedert, on a per game average, was TE5 last year and only scored three TD's.  With some positive regression, he could crack the top three.  

2 minutes ago, Vikings4ever said:

Not super secure on Fields' ability in the passing game, but hard to ignore Moore at this point.

Moore is good value at this point.  He was one I was considering instead of Goedert.

Focking sniped by Vikings again.  I was happy that Moore kept falling to me and I missed him by one pick.

I decided to go with the high potential of Brown and Pitts this time.  Both of these players can put up big numbers this season and they just locked up my positions for them.

Gotta admit, if Pitts had fallen one more pick, I would have been VERY tempted to grab him as my flex and put pressure on teams without a TE yet.

But I had 2 potential difference making RBs with MAJOR question marks on my list. Went with Dalvin.

• Like 1

This is my first pick that I feel is a real gamble.  Williams flashed and showed signs of being a true stud, but last years injury puts all that in question.  Good news is he's in camp and not on the PUP.  I'm expecting a slow start from him, but once he gets ramped up to speed (and shows no lingering effects of the injury, fingers crossed) he could be a league winner in the second half of the season.

1 minute ago, Mr. Landry said:

This is my first pick that I feel is a real gamble.  Williams flashed and showed signs of being a true stud, but last years injury puts all that in question.  Good news is he's in camp and not on the PUP.  I'm expecting a slow start from him, but once he gets ramped up to speed (and shows no lingering effects of the injury, fingers crossed) he could be a league winner in the second half of the season.

First half too!! He was my next pick......almost took him last round instead of Raashad White. Great pick Landry!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Landry said:

I took him in the June Mock.

1 minute ago, robb said:

I took him in the June Mock.

I should have looked at the June mock to get an idea of some you guys' drafting tendencies.  😛

17 minutes ago, Mr. Landry said:

I should have looked at the June mock to get an idea of some you guys' drafting tendencies.  😛

6.11 by me

I think it was a reasonable pick.   this is the part of the draft where he should be taken.   

all the options at this point in the draft have something that made them fall to this point.  either injury, pending suspension, or the fact they are not actually a starter.

I predict my WR pick will be different when I'm playing for 💰, but I think we can all acknowledge Diontae was about as unlucky as any WR in recent memory. The guy has attracted 140-plus targets in three straight seasons and should benefit from the leap Pickett should make in his second season. Either way, I am thrilled to have that kind of upside at my WR3 spot.

7 minutes ago, The Football Guru said:

I predict my WR pick will be different when I'm playing for 💰, but I think we can all acknowledge Diontae was about as unlucky as any WR in recent memory. The guy has attracted 140-plus targets in three straight seasons and should benefit from the leap Pickett should make in his second season. Either way, I am thrilled to have that kind of upside at my WR3 spot.

and….he was next up on my WR pick chart. All true what you stated, plus, they’ll have to throw it in their division if they want any chance to win it.

• Like 1

I'm in the camp that believes Lockett will still produce this year despite the addition of JSN, so I'm happy to get him as a WR3.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, worm said:

I'm in the camp that believes Lockett will still produce this year despite the addition of JSN, so I'm happy to get him as a WR3.

I agree with you Worm.

ICEMAN

30 minutes ago, worm said:

And you took the WR I referenced earlier. If I'm on the clock in a high-stakes draft and I have to choose between Lockett and Diontae, I'm taking Diontae right now. Thing is, I have a lot of Lockett exposure already and I haven't really done all that many drafts.

1 hour ago, The Football Guru said:

And you took the WR I referenced earlier. If I'm on the clock in a high-stakes draft and I have to choose between Lockett and Diontae, I'm taking Diontae right now. Thing is, I have a lot of Lockett exposure already and I haven't really done all that many drafts.

Lockett is a decent pick.  might have even been the guy I would have taken if he had fallen to me.

As he didnt, I took Brandon Cooks who has recently been able to produce reasonably well even with bad QB (with the exception of last year when his QB was beyond bad)   With a reasonable QB (Dak) tossing the ball and CeeDee taking all the double coverage I think he has himself a real nice year.  I love the potential.   As such, I'm buying.

Nice pick Iceman.   

I debated back and forth about whether to take Kamara.   I needed a WR more than I needed another RB and thats what drove my decision not to take him.   but I feel he provides very good value even if he gets suspended (unless of course its a full season suspension but I dont honestly see that happening)