Sign in to follow this  
Ray_T

Colts name rookie QB Richardson as starter for '23

Not me. 

Here's an interesting scenario. 

The Colts are going to SUCK something bad this year, possibly bad enough to get the first pick in next year's draft. If so, do they draft Caleb Williams?

Don't they have to??? 

I didnt think he showed enough this early to say Yeah he's our starter.

most coaches keep the competition going longer than what this ran.   and the initial scouting report suggested he had a fair bit of development before he was nfl ready so I figured the team would do what most teams do and have him sit until the teams by week (or week 8 whichever is sooner) before giving him the start.

that said, if the plan was to go with him out of the gate,  I guess there is no point in keeping the illusion of a competition when, in reality there isnt one.

• Like 1

Minshew has showed little last year to say he should be the starter, I said it back during the draft that the rookie would be the Colts game one starter, they don’t have anyone else.  

7 hours ago, League Champion said:

Here's an interesting scenario. 

The Colts are going to SUCK something bad this year, possibly bad enough to get the first pick in next year's draft. If so, do they draft Caleb Williams?

Don't they have to??? 

They won't have the top pick so they don't need to worry about that scenario.... 

36 minutes ago, kcBlitzkrieg said:

They won't have the top pick so they don't need to worry about that scenario.... 

How do you know that? 

5 hours ago, kcBlitzkrieg said:

Why won't they? Anthony Richardson is way behind where Justin Fields was when he came out. They can easily have the #1 overall pick. 

J Taylor left again, sounds like a team heading towards the bottom.  

3 hours ago, weepaws said:

J Taylor left again, sounds like a team heading towards the bottom.  

yeah, sounds like he left to attend to a personal matter.  sounds like he had the blessing of the team.

I am less concerned about this absence than I was regarding the first one.

38 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

yeah, sounds like he left to attend to a personal matter.  sounds like he had the blessing of the team.

I am less concerned about this absence than I was regarding the first one.

Well you never know, it could just be an unrelated coincidence, but given everything that’s gone on between Taylor and the colts this offseason, I’d say it’s definitely not a good sign.

Personally, for me, Taylor is basically DND this year

17 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Well you never know, it could just be an unrelated coincidence, but given everything that’s gone on between Taylor and the colts this offseason, I’d say it’s definitely not a good sign.

Personally, for me, Taylor is basically DND this year

luckily I dont need to decide on him in my main draft until the week before the season starts.    its still possible he is kept by the team who drafted him last year.   in that scenario It wont affect me either way.

Taylor’s personal problem could be he doesn’t want to play for the Colts, cause he has a personal problem with the owner.  

Or he lift his oven on.  

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

Taylor’s personal problem could be he doesn’t want to play for the Colts, cause he has a personal problem with the owner.  

Or he lift his oven on.  

Unless he gets a contract I think it will be like this all season. He'll just find reasons to legally not show up whether it's a BS nagging injury, personal issues, etc. Which only hurts his next contract. Who wants to deal with this at every contract negotiation or if he's unhappy? 

5 hours ago, League Champion said:

Unless he gets a contract I think it will be like this all season. He'll just find reasons to legally not show up whether it's a BS nagging injury, personal issues, etc. Which only hurts his next contract. Who wants to deal with this at every contract negotiation or if he's unhappy? 

I think you're right on this.  He's fighting a battle he not only shouldn't be fighting, but is fighting one he can't win.  He's 23 years old and going into his contract year.  If he goes out and does what he did 2 years ago, he's going to get a big contract.  If he does what he did last year, he's going to get the franchise tag.  Either way, it's in his best interest to play.  Focking around is only going to get him a short term deal that won't be for what he thinks he's worth, that team will run him into the ground the first year, maybe two, then cut him and not deal with him.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I think you're right on this.  He's fighting a battle he not only shouldn't be fighting, but is fighting one he can't win.  He's 23 years old and going into his contract year.  If he goes out and does what he did 2 years ago, he's going to get a big contract.  If he does what he did last year, he's going to get the franchise tag.  Either way, it's in his best interest to play.  Focking around is only going to get him a short term deal that won't be for what he thinks he's worth, that team will run him into the ground the first year, maybe two, then cut him and not deal with him.

His handlers are not doing him any favors. Look no further than Leveon Bell. He can't win 

• Like 1

On 8/16/2023 at 7:42 PM, League Champion said:

Why won't they? Anthony Richardson is way behind where Justin Fields was when he came out. They can easily have the #1 overall pick. 

What does Justin Fields and the entire 2021 Chicago Bears roster have to do with the 2023 Colts roster ??? 

"Could they" have the top pick ?  Well of course, LOTS of nfl teams could have the top pick in next year's draft.  

Every single year there are teams that vastly underperform and overperform expectations.  Injuries are the most underrated and often ignored reason when looking back at preseason expectations.  Eagles, Niners, Bills, Bengals, Chiefs....all around strong rosters.  Take away their QBs and they likely still won't be making a top 10 pick in the following year's draft.  

Colts don't have the worst roster, maybe bottom 10, but they have a competent back up who is proven he can win games.  Maybe AR starts all season and is a complete BUST.  Colts win 3-4 games and get top pick.  Very possible, I just don't believe that will happen.  

Rams
Cardinals
Texans
Buccs
Panthers
Raiders

All teams in that same range of outcomes.....Cardinals should be everyone's favorite to land #1 pick next year.  Rams are one Stafford hit away from landing Caleb Williams as LA's SoCal savior.  

They may as well make him the starter.

He's obviously a bit green, but he's still the best QB they have. They're not gonna get anything out of starting Gardner Minshew. He is an excellent back up though.

I'm sure there will be growing pains, but it's not like they're gonna make a Super Bowl run this season either way.

5 minutes ago, polecatt said:

He's obviously a bit green

He's possibly the greenest Qb in the history of the NFL.

It'll be Richardson's 14th start since ... HIGH SCHOOL.  He started a total of 13 games for Florida, and lost seven of them.

3 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

He's possibly the greenest Qb in the history of the NFL.

It'll be Richardson's 14th start since ... HIGH SCHOOL.  He started a total of 13 games for Florida, and lost seven of them.

Can't be any greener than Trey Lance, but the only way to change that is to play

5 minutes ago, polecatt said:

Can't be any greener than Trey Lance, but the only way to change that is to play

true, but you can also ruin a kids confidence by putting him in too early.

I have not seen enough of the guy to tell if this is likely the situation here (or not) but I'd argue that nobody has seen enough.     Indy coaches may or may not have seen enough to know.  but I guess we are about to find out.

Colts have made the right decision, even if he doesn’t workout, Minshew isn’t going to help.  Talk about a blow to someone’s ego if Minshew was given the job.  

53 minutes ago, polecatt said:

Lance started 17 in college. Close, but not Richardson green.

10 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

Lance started 17 in college. Close, but not Richardson green.

For a division 2 school lol

At least Richardson played in the SEC.

In any case, they're both very green and it's quite evident with Lance going into his 3rd season.

I was thinking maybe if you get Richardson in there early,  he can get off to a faster start. If so hopefully by year 3, he's at least a viable starter with potential.

58 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

true, but you can also ruin a kids confidence by putting him in too early.

I have not seen enough of the guy to tell if this is likely the situation here (or not) but I'd argue that nobody has seen enough.     Indy coaches may or may not have seen enough to know.  but I guess we are about to find out.

Yeah, at least let him play through preseason before making a final call,  that way if you have to go back on it, you don't give the impression he's getting benched. They must have seen something they liked in the first game though

7 minutes ago, polecatt said:

For a division 2 school lol

At least Richardson played in the SEC.

Good point

For us Richardson is Fantasy Gold. His rushing numbers should keep him well within the top 10 every week, much like Fields or Hurts were early on. Neither one of them could throw but were Fantasy money 💰

You're sitting pretty if you grabbed him as your QB2 in redraft, he's a possible league winner. 

Streamer 

On 8/18/2023 at 10:28 AM, kcBlitzkrieg said:

What does Justin Fields and the entire 2021 Chicago Bears roster have to do with the 2023 Colts roster ??? 

"Could they" have the top pick ?  Well of course, LOTS of nfl teams could have the top pick in next year's draft.  

Every single year there are teams that vastly underperform and overperform expectations.  Injuries are the most underrated and often ignored reason when looking back at preseason expectations.  Eagles, Niners, Bills, Bengals, Chiefs....all around strong rosters.  Take away their QBs and they likely still won't be making a top 10 pick in the following year's draft.  

Colts don't have the worst roster, maybe bottom 10, but they have a competent back up who is proven he can win games.  Maybe AR starts all season and is a complete BUST.  Colts win 3-4 games and get top pick.  Very possible, I just don't believe that will happen.  

Rams
Cardinals
Texans
Buccs
Panthers
Raiders

All teams in that same range of outcomes.....Cardinals should be everyone's favorite to land #1 pick next year.  Rams are one Stafford hit away from landing Caleb Williams as LA's SoCal savior.  

#1 pick is a 2 team race between Hou and Tampa.

The Colts are projected to have a much improved o-line.  Up to 10 in the rankings I’ve been following.  If that pans out to be the case, Taylor could have another very good season with his ability + scheming to contain Richardson.  Richardson will have some big games in that scenario.  The o-line + Richardson have me much more interested in Taylor, and his situation.

Richardson is absolutely terrible...and I drafted him in the 1st Rd. of a dynasty league.🤣

Run baby run. Looking for 15 rushing TDs minimum.

I drafted him as a backup QB in Round 13. Legitimate shot to perform as a low end QB1 just based on rushing ability. Hurts was pretty bad his first full year as a starter and ended up as QB6. Rushing QBs are money.