2023 Ryder Cup

Homa 

Cantlay 

Schauffele 

Clark 

Harman 

Scheffler 

All officially on the team. 6 captain spots to go 

Justin Thomas will make the team, but he needs to be on the sidelines. 

Going to lose anyway 

8 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Going to lose anyway 

You think the Euros when this year? 

28 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

You think the Euros when this year? 

i dont know. I assume the US takes Spieth and JT... will they take Brooks? Doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would make a difference in a team event but he does play well with a chip on his shoulder.

The Euro team has Rory, Rahm, Hovland, Hatton, Fitzpatrick, Fleetwood... who can't close out a tournament but this is different.  

I also think the US lost more to LIV than the Euros did. Euros lost a bunch of experienced but extremely aged out and washed up experience, most of which would have only served as vice captains anyway. I think DJ, for all his aww shucks demeanor and possibly the fire of Patrick Reed are legit losses for team USA. 

Brooks is the only LIV guy I think is worthy.  I really want Rickie on the team.  Spieth will be a Captains pick.  Morikawa and Cam Young will more than likely be on the team. That leaves one spot and I think it should be Sam Burns.  

JT should not be on the team.  Maybe he turns it around and plays well.   But he has been a total disaster for quite some time this year.  If you take him and play him and he sucks, you look really stupid because he has sucked for months.   

The US team never takes course setup into account.  Hey lets take bombers over to a target golf course.  

When is the draft?

6 minutes ago, edjr said:

When is the draft?

Should be the last week of September. 

I'm down to do a draft for the Solhiem cup too. 

1 hour ago, bostonlager said:

I'm down to do a draft for the Solhiem cup too. 

Now that is some serious stuff.

2 hours ago, edjr said:

When is the draft?

I would join this if you need a guy to get to a round number or whatever.

14 hours ago, bostonlager said:

Homa 

Cantlay 

Schauffele 

Clark 

Harman 

Scheffler 

All officially on the team. 6 captain spots to go 

Figure Brooks, Jordan, and Rickie are locks. 

Still have Colin M, Burns, Young, Glover, Keegan, probably missing a few.

JT should not be on the team but maybe he gets deference for the name. 

35 minutes ago, patweisers44 said:

I would join this if you need a guy to get to a round number or whatever.

We always need another. 

1 hour ago, thegeneral said:

Figure Brooks, Jordan, and Rickie are locks. 

Still have Colin M, Burns, Young, Glover, Keegan, probably missing a few.

I saw an article with this suggestion and I can get on board. 

Team USA projected captains picks

• Jordan Spieth
  • Cameron Young
  • Collin Morikawa
  • Keegan Bradley
  • Sam Burns
  • Rickie Fowler

6 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

• Jordan Spieth
  • Cameron Young
  • Collin Morikawa
  • Keegan Bradley
  • Sam Burns
  • Rickie Fowler

Hard to be excited with no Fatty Reed. 

5 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

JT should not be on the team.  Maybe he turns it around and plays well.   But he has been a total disaster for quite some time this year.  If you take him and play him and he sucks, you look really stupid because he has sucked for months.   

I agree that JT should not be on the team. But I dont think he would possibly be selected because of his name, I think he would possibly get selected to play with Jordan and/or Rickie. Cantlay and Xander will be playing together... probably in all sessions. The US has been putting a lot of value on "team" and guys who play well together/feed off each other, trying to copy the success of the Euros. Remember when Reed was upset that his partnering with Jordan was broken up so Jordan could play with JT. 

13 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

• Jordan Spieth
  • Cameron Young
  • Collin Morikawa
  • Keegan Bradley
  • Sam Burns
  • Rickie Fowler

Again, not in favor of JT as a pick, but when I see Cam Young on this list I am wondering what the difference is. Neither have been playing well for a while now. Burns is also suspect, imho. 

22 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

• Jordan Spieth
  • Cameron Young
  • Collin Morikawa
  • Keegan Bradley
  • Sam Burns
  • Rickie Fowler

I’d roll with that. Glover has been so hot lately but hard to replace anyone above with him. 

9 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Again, not in favor of JT as a pick, but when I see Cam Young on this list I am wondering what the difference is. Neither have been playing well for a while now. Burns is also suspect, imho. 

I haven’t followed as closely as my season long fantasy hopes were dashed last month. Have Young and Burns been off? If so I could see Glover sneaking in.

JT does hang with Speith and Fowler all the time so they could go with a chemistry thing and hope his form rounds out suddenly. He showed a little life in last tournament I saw him in.

47 minutes ago, thegeneral said:

I haven’t followed as closely as my season long fantasy hopes were dashed last month. Have Young and Burns been off? If so I could see Glover sneaking in.

JT does hang with Speith and Fowler all the time so they could go with a chemistry thing and hope his form rounds out suddenly. He showed a little life in last tournament I saw him in.

Burns win this season was the Match Play. He hasnt had a top 10 finish since the end of May with 6 missed cuts on the year. 

Young finished 2nd at the match play and 7th at the Masters. He then had no finished better than T32 including 2 missed cuts. He had back to back top 10s at the John Deere and the Open but then a missed cut and a t31 at the 70 man St Jude event. 

Not saying JT has been better with 6 MCs, no wins and only a handful of top 10's

Guess my point it those other guys don't seem like locks to me. 

1 minute ago, WhiteWonder said:

Burns win this season was the Match Play. He hasnt had a top 10 finish since the end of May with 6 missed cuts on the year. 

Young finished 2nd at the match play and 7th at the Masters. He then had no finished better than T32 including 2 missed cuts. He had back to back top 10s at the John Deere and the Open but then a missed cut and a t31 at the 70 man St Jude event. 

Not saying JT has been better with 6 MCs, no wins and only a handful of top 10's

Guess my point it those other guys don't seem like locks to me. 

I’d roll with the hot hand, Glover! 

1 hour ago, edjr said:

Hard to be excited with no Fatty Reed. 

DJ too. He was 5-0 last year. 

JT will be on the team, his Ryder and Presidents Cup record is absurd. He’s the USA’s version of Poulter. Is he out of form? Sure, but it’s not like he missed half the cuts he played in this year. I still have more confidence in him then I do in guys like Glover or Harman.

19 minutes ago, dain11279 said:

JT will be on the team, his Ryder and Presidents Cup record is absurd. He’s the USA’s version of Poulter. Is he out of form? Sure, but it’s not like he missed half the cuts he played in this year. I still have more confidence in him than I do in guys like Glover or Harman.

Harman seems like the type to excel in Ryder Cup and is playing lights out. Little guy would love to take out some Eurotrash!

Harman seems like the type to excel in Ryder Cup and is playing lights out. Little guy would love to take out some Eurotrash!

He'd likely need help carrying it 

I forgot if I mentioned this, but I'm going to be in Italy on vacation when the Ryder Cup is going on in Rome (I won't be in Rome, but farther north -- Pisa, Cinque Terre, Florence, Venice).  I thought about looking into swinging to Rome, but the trip is for our 30th anniversary and my wife wouldn't have appreciated it.  :D 

That reminds me though, I won't be available for a draft that week.

1 hour ago, edjr said:

He'd likely need help carrying it 

he can sweep it out with his putter

34 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I forgot if I mentioned this, but I'm going to be in Italy on vacation when the Ryder Cup is going on in Rome (I won't be in Rome, but farther north -- Pisa, Cinque Terre, Florence, Venice).  I thought about looking into swinging to Rome, but the trip is for our 30th anniversary and my wife wouldn't have appreciated it.  :D 

Maybe i'll join in your honor, i'll be back from Barcelona right before we would probably draft.  :cheers:

3 hours ago, dain11279 said:

JT will be on the team, his Ryder and Presidents Cup record is absurd. He’s the USA’s version of Poulter. Is he out of form? Sure, but it’s not like he missed half the cuts he played in this year. I still have more confidence in him then I do in guys like Glover or Harman.

Not a bad comp although I always felt like Reed was our Poulter. Or maybe im just putting too much emphasis on his partnership with Spieth and that epic match against Rory. 

1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

Man if I was that close I’d have to go, I’m still kicking myself for not going to it 2 years ago at Whistling Straits.

Just now, dain11279 said:

Man if I was that close I’d have to go, I’m still kicking myself for not going to it 2 years ago at Whistling Straits.

I hear ya, but it's a combo of things.  One, I've already got the tickets to head to Scotland next summer for The Open (my son has confirmed so we'll have a guy's trip of golf and whiskey, woot!).  Also, the wife and I have already been to Rome.  If we hadn't, we'd have probably included it in the itinerary, and it would have been easy to set aside a day for the tourney.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, thegeneral said:

Seeing Rickie, JT, Colin, Spieth, Brooks, last spot TBD 

The most punchable face on tour -Justin Thomas, just got even more punchable. 

I am hoping it goes to Keegan.  He played with fire when he paired with Phil. I think team USA needs someone with his enthusiasm. Just don't pair him with Brooks 

Seeing Rickie, JT, Colin, Spieth, Brooks, last spot TBD 

Looks likely with Burns the last.  I’d like to see Glover get a shot now that he’s seems to have his putting in order.  Dude is an elite ball striker.  Seems cool under pressure sans the massive butt sweat

https://twitter.com/NoLayingUp/status/1696265865388290154?s=20

idk.. burns doesn't do anything for me

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Looks likely with Burns the last.  I’d like to see Glover get a shot now that he’s seems to have his putting in order.  Dude is an elite ball striker.  Seems cool under pressure sans the massive butt sweat

https://twitter.com/NoLayingUp/status/1696265865388290154?s=20

Was hoping for Glover or Harmon since this might be their shot.

2 hours ago, bostonlager said:

The most punchable face on tour -Justin Thomas, just got even more punchable. 

I don’t mind him too much but he’s also hit on some bets for me so I’ll look past it 😀

JT has time to get the game tuned up hopefully. He’s super tight with Fowler and Jordan so maybe that’s good for this event.