Sign in to follow this  
WooleyBully

RB/RB Strategy

I’m picking from the 8th spot in a 10 team 1/2 ppr league. I keep reading that it’s best this year to go hero RB or zero RB, but it seems as if everyone has now deployed that strategy.  I’m regularly grabbing Bijan or Chubb in the first round and Chubb/Pollard in the 2nd. This seems like a much better start than Chubb/ Kupp, Adams, or Diggs. I’d feel differently if Kupp wasn’t having lingering issues with his hamstring. WR’s just seem so much deeper than RB’s this year. If you are drafting from a similar position, please share your approach.

2 minutes ago, WooleyBully said:

I’m picking from the 8th spot in a 10 team 1/2 ppr league. I keep reading that it’s best this year to go hero RB or zero RB, but it seems as if everyone has now deployed that strategy.  I’m regularly grabbing Bijan or Chubb in the first round and Chubb/Pollard in the 2nd. This seems like a much better start than Chubb/ Kupp, Adams, or Diggs. I’d feel differently if Kupp wasn’t having lingering issues with his hamstring. WR’s just seem so much deeper than RB’s this year. If you are drafting from a similar position, please share your approach.

honestly I have seen an awful lot of people going zero RB or doing a modified zero RB where they dont take one in the first 2 rounds.

thing about the zero RB strategy is it only works reliably if you are the only one running that strategy.  if more than one run it, one or two guys inevitably end up with really crappy RB's and it really depends on when the run on RB happens and where you draft in relation to that.

I like to zig when the rest of the group zags.   and drafting at 8, you will see what the first 7 teams have done before you make your pick.

if 5 WR go before you pick, you know RB (or Kelce)  is likely your choice 

if more RB go than WR, you may want to look at a WR.    In my opinion if you cant get one of the top 4-5 WR in round 1 you shouldn't bother.   but that is my opinion only.

• Like 1

I like the idea of zigging when everyone else zags, but it can bite you.

In a PPR, or half PPR, I’d make damn sure you’re getting RBs that will catch a lot of balls.

So not Chubb. Maybe Jacobs?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Chubb was the 5th leading point scorer in .5 ppr, and 6th in full ppr, I think he’s going to have a better season this season, he’s a first rd target for me in both my 14 teams .5, and full ppr leagues. 

OP my strategy is best available based on my rankings,  and letting the draft come to me, so I might go rb/rb, or wr/wr, or rb/wr, or wr/rb.  

Im going to do in every draft, stay calm and enjoy.  

Good luck op 

• Like 2

Just finished a draft picking at seven. Ten teams, $250 entry fee, ppr. 
Got T Hill, AJ Brown first two picks followed by D Pierce, N Harris. Filled the rbs in with Montgomery, Pacheco, Perrine and McKinnon. Got Herbert and Goff. 
I did what weepaws advised and let the draft come to me.

Decent team I believe.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, wolves111 said:

Just finished a draft picking at seven. Ten teams, $250 entry fee, ppr. 
Got T Hill, AJ Brown first two picks followed by D Pierce, N Harris. Filled the rbs in with Montgomery, Pacheco, Perrine and McKinnon. Got Herbert and Goff. 
I did what weepaws advised and let the draft come to me.

Decent team I believe.

not bad at all.  

nicely done.   Pierce is underrated.

Pittsburgh's offense was starting to show signs of life in the last couple weeks of last year.   if this continues, Naj may indeed be a very desireable player to have on your roster.

I also like Pacheco.   He would be also very underrated.

Herbert & goff is solid.     Tyreek and AJ together on one team is fantastic.   makes me wonder how smart the other guys were in your draft for letting that happen (nothing personal but in some drafts I've seen both of these guys gone by pick  8 or 9 in a ppr format) 

but hey, their loss is your gain.

congrats.

11 hours ago, Ray_T said:

not bad at all.  

Pittsburgh's offense was starting to show signs of life in the last couple weeks of last year.   if this continues, Naj may indeed be a very desireable player to have on your roster.

Herbert & goff is solid.     Tyreek and AJ together on one team is fantastic.   makes me wonder how smart the other guys were in your draft for letting that happen (nothing personal but in some drafts I've seen both of these guys gone by pick  8 or 9 in a ppr format) 

congrats.

Thx Ray.

15 hours ago, Ray_T said:

Pacheco falls so late in drafts because he's not a flashy player and won't get many receptions.  But he could be sitting on a 8+ Td season with goal line carries on top of the 1,000 total yds like he nearly reached last year. Nobody should be ashamed drafting Pacheco in the 6th. It's a gift.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

Pacheco falls so late in drafts because he's not a flashy player and won't get many receptions.  But he could be sitting on a 8+ Td season with goal line carries on top of the 1,000 total yds like he nearly reached last year. Nobody should be ashamed drafting Pacheco in the 6th. It's a gift.

it is a gift.  If I can get him as my RB3 I'll buy him all day long. 

even as an RB2 I dont think I'll lose.   he may be one of the best value picks in this years draft.

• Like 1

Every mock I’ve done  when Pacheco comes up, I pass on him, but he can be a very good mid rd buy.  

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

Every mock I’ve done  when Pacheco comes up, I pass on him, but he can be a very good mid rd buy.  

I'm curious to hear how come if you are willing to share? 

In the mocks I’ve been involved in when it’s Pacheco ADP I seem to like wr more that have slipped down into that territory.  IM more of a go rb early drafter, so around that6/7 rd I’m looking wr.  

• Thanks 1

I stuck with rb-rb this year in my 10 team. Drafted 8th.....Cubb then Pollard. Suffered at wr with St. Brown & Higgins best available at 28th & 33rd. Hockenson, Fields, London & Akers rounded out my first 8 picks.

Is that a ppr league?

On 9/1/2023 at 5:16 PM, WooleyBully said:

See how your league mates draft. Mine in 12 man all either went Zero RB or Hero RB. Meanwhile, at 7 I passed on Kupp cause of his hammy issues and took Chubb cause I believe he will end up fighting for #1 RB spot this year. Was able to get Bijan in 2nd cause of ppl taking WRs or QBs. Then took Aaron Jones in round 3 cause I didn’t want Tee Higgins as my WR1. I’d rather have Jones in my flex. Too much value WR in later rounds 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Nomad99 said:

I stuck with rb-rb this year in my 10 team. Drafted 8th.....Cubb then Pollard. Suffered at wr with St. Brown & Higgins best available at 28th & 33rd. Hockenson, Fields, London & Akers rounded out my first 8 picks.

"suffering" with St Brown and Higgins :lol:

On 9/1/2023 at 5:16 PM, WooleyBully said:

you don't need to deploy any specific strategy. It's fun to come up with trendy names like "hero RB strat"... draft the team that you project will score the most points for you over the course of the season and have faith that it will win you more weeks than not. 

I've been going WR/WR a lot but it's not a "zero RB" strategy. If the value says WR in round 3, i'll go that way for my flex. If the value feels like a QB or TE at any point, I will pivot to those positions to give myself a weekly advantage over most opponents in those spots. There are times when this results in WR/WR/WR/QB/TE.  I guess you can call that a zero RB strategy but its not really intentional. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteWonder said:

"suffering" with St Brown and Higgins :lol:

Compared to wr ranking better that were already drafted. I did end up solid at rb with Chubb, Pollard  & Akers. Hopefully the Moore twins excel this year.

3 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

you don't need to deploy any specific strategy. It's fun to come up with trendy names like "hero RB strat"... draft the team that you project will score the most points for you over the course of the season and have faith that it will win you more weeks than not. 

I've been going WR/WR a lot but it's not a "zero RB" strategy. If the value says WR in round 3, i'll go that way for my flex. If the value feels like a QB or TE at any point, I will pivot to those positions to give myself a weekly advantage over most opponents in those spots. There are times when this results in WR/WR/WR/QB/TE.  I guess you can call that a zero RB strategy but its not really intentional. 

I fully agree.   a person in the first 4-5 rounds should be getting the player that best gives you a chance to win.   you should not concern yourself with position.

Whenever I have done what people affectionately call the zero RB strategy it was not deliberate.   it just happened because the value was at other positions at the time I drafted them.

On 8/29/2023 at 12:06 AM, DrG said:

Rallo, if you’ve completed your drafts, who are your sleeper w r picks?

On 9/4/2023 at 11:01 AM, Ray_T said:

I'd go pickett of the players mentioned.   late last season he showed signs of being a player.

thing about the tua situation is you wanna cover all the bases.  extra insurance is likely a good thing in your situation.

White mike is also an option but hes not actually a starter so he has value to you but less value to everyone else   so you can likely wait to the end to get him as a 4th QB

but I'd take picket at his ADP (even a little earlier if you wanna make sure you get him) and then grab mike white in the last or second to last round.

On 9/1/2023 at 8:47 PM, Ray_T said:

not bad at all.  

congrats.

Everyone seems to be down on Najee this year. The guy got stronger in the 2nd half when coincidentally Pickett did as well. I think he’s a steal at 3/4. Hopefully Warren gets his 8-10 touches thereby giving Najee a much needed respite. If the Steelers are indeed a team to be reckoned with, then I see Najee as a major cog in that juggernaut.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chickie said:

Everyone seems to be down on Najee this year. The guy got stronger in the 2nd half when coincidentally Pickett did as well. I think he’s a steal at 3/4. Hopefully Warren gets his 8-10 touches thereby giving Najee a much needed respite. If the Steelers are indeed a team to be reckoned with, then I see Najee as a major cog in that juggernaut.

people often generalize based on the stats from the year prior.

for him the x factor is whether picket can transition from prospect to legitimate starter.   I feel like that transition started late last year but that process may stretch for a few games into this season or it may already be complete.

I think its fair to knock him down a couple spots in your RB order because of this.    it does feel like most fantasy sites have over compensated for this risk.   I think the floor for him is what he did last year.   but he still has a reasonably high ceiling and I think the line is a bit better than it was this time last year too.  so there are things to like here.

• Thanks 1

Warren isn’t going to be just a 7-10 touches guy this season, he’s a real threat for a lot more work, and even short yardage work.