Sign in to follow this  
TheNewGirl

Were you bullied as a child?

3 hours ago, jerryskids said:

A little bit, but nothing too bad.  I was in a gifted program in grade school, and we were isolated from our classmates until 5th grade, when they started integrating us back in.  You can imagine that around that middle school age, a group of nerds is fresh meat for the general populace.

I wasn't big but I was average sized and a pretty good athlete so I didn't have it too bad, but this dweeb Drew from our class got picked on, and I let my displeasure known by throwing the bully into a tree.  Ends up he had some friends and older brothers who wanted to defend him, and over the next few years I had a few run-ins with that pack.  Nothing too bad or violent, and because I was an athlete I was on sports teams with some of them, so it was somewhat half-hearted, and I was able to defend myself.

I'm pals with them now, on FB and on when I've returned for HS reunions.

Actually now that I think about it, I've been trolling my old friends from HS about the DBacks beating the Phillies (I'm from northeast PA) so some of them might want a piece of me next time they see me. :D 

I remember your nerds.  You got to do the Olympics of the mind stuff.  I also didn’t get on a computer until the middle school. You nerds were on them in elementary.  Imagine that today..lol.

Bullied? No. I did however grow up in a time where hazing was encouraged. I took my lumps as a freshman and did my part as an upperclassmen. The problem with today’s youth is they don’t get roughed up and learn to deal with adversity 

46 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

I remember your nerds.  You got to do the Olympics of the mind stuff.  I also didn’t get on a computer until the middle school. You nerds were on them in elementary.  Imagine that today..lol.

I'm a little older than that - my HS junior year was 1984 and the first time I used a computer (and the first time my school HAD computers).  

The gifted program was an experiment, where "smart" kids were identified in kindergarten and kept in an isolated group for years.  I'd say in general it was a failure on multiple fronts.  One, I disagree with the isolation of kids like that.  Two, by my senior year, I was the only kid in the group who was still at/near the top of the class.  Most of the others were on a college prep course, but they weren't special intellectual talents.  So they didn't do a very good job at identification.

Now that I think of it though, perhaps a lot of the kids chose not to pursue intellectual excellence, preferring to seem more "normal" socially, because of the problems associated with being isolated when they were younger.  :dunno: 

26 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I'm a little older than that - my HS junior year was 1984 and the first time I used a computer (and the first time my school HAD computers).  

The gifted program was an experiment, where "smart" kids were identified in kindergarten and kept in an isolated group for years.  I'd say in general it was a failure on multiple fronts.  One, I disagree with the isolation of kids like that.  Two, by my senior year, I was the only kid in the group who was still at/near the top of the class.  Most of the others were on a college prep course, but they weren't special intellectual talents.  So they didn't do a very good job at identification.

Now that I think of it though, perhaps a lot of the kids chose not to pursue intellectual excellence, preferring to seem more "normal" socially, because of the problems associated with being isolated when they were younger.  :dunno: 

This is a really nice story Jerry. Did they also tell you that the short bus you rode was “special?”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

This is a really nice story Jerry. Did they also tell you that the short bus you rode was “special?”

Interesting, as we did get bused to schools through the program.  I wonder if any of them were short buses?  😜

In 3rd grade I got picked on by a 5th grader 3 times my size. He tried to get me in a headlock once but I elbowed him in the stomach and he ran away crying. 

In fourth grade, a half retard, twice held back from 6th grade, man sized, idiot named Jeremy took a personal interest in me for some reason. If I was playing with friends at recess, he would come and start sh!t. I was play fighting with a friend one day and he came up behind me and tackled me. One time, as I was walking home from school, he picked up a dead squirrel by the tail and swung it at me. I got scratched on my nose and got impetigo. 

A few weeks later I was walking home from school, this time with my older brother, and Jeremy was terrorizing some of my classmates, so, with my newfound, older brother induced confidence, I ran up behind him and kicked him in his fat ass. He spun around and came after me but my brother said "leave him alone!" 

Jeremy stopped in his tracks and asked "who are you?"

"I'm his brother" came the reply. 

That was it. Half retarded Jeremy never bothered me again. 

After that, I never let anybody bully me or anybody else. I either stood up and kicked their ass or got my ass kicked. Either way we were fighting until it got broken up. 

Of course, those were the days before the customary pile on, head stomp, buIIshit the cowards are pulling today. I'd just as soon shoot those focks as look at them. 

40 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

In California it was called "GATE", Gifted And Talented. Or as we called it as kids, "early birds and late birds." 

We GATE kids showed up early and left early. Those who needed special attention showed up later and stayed later so they could get the one-on-one tutoring they needed. 

When I was in maybe 3rd grade, they called a bunch of kids out of class over the PA system.  One guy in our class got called, and then a few minutes later, he came and got me saying they called me.  They really didn't, but my name is hard to pronounce so he figured they just butchered it like most people do.

It turns out it was an IQ test for the gifted and talented program.  I was about 90% done with it when they realized I wasn't the guy that was supposed to be taking the test and they told me to stop and go back to class.  I didn't even know what the fūck was going on, so I was thinking, "you guys called me.  Whatever you guys want."

I guess they must have looked at the test because a few days later, they said I did well enough and gave me the real test for the G&T program which was this 2 day 1:1 testing on various subjects.

I failed that 2 day test, so I am not gifted and talented, but that's kind of the story of my life. 

I'm almost smart.  I made good grades, got masters and all that, and I know stuff, but I've never really truly innovated, and I'm certainly not some visionary.

I was almost a good athlete.  I played basketball and football and later beach volleyball, but never quite good enough to break into higher ranks.

I was almost cool enough to get into the cool clique.   I had a large group of friends.  I was friendly with all the cool kids, but I wasn't in that circle.

I'm almost good enough to break into the C-suite.  I made it to director level, but I don't have it in me to fight for the higher levels.

Instead I'm just an above average mope.

• Thanks 1

Not bullied, like long term. However there was this one time though….same kid like 7th or 8th grade.  He was trailer trash, full mullet very strange kid.  I was an honor student, played sports and he would egg me on just talking smack, talking down for no reason.  I wasn’t scared of him per se, but more of fighting or even getting in trouble at school so just tried to ignore and stay clear.  He casually showed me he had a small knife on him one time. I’ll never forget that.  It was for about two weeks then I honestly don’t remember seeing him again.  He probably got expelled and kicked out or moved.  Looking back he probably came from a crap redneck family and was acting out.  

21 hours ago, weepaws said:

I was not the bully, nor was I bullied.  I was the guy people came to when they were bullied. So I did get into a lot of fists fights. I had a great time. And it has been that way my whole life, even now I can’t stand bullies, I like to bully bullies.  

5th grade English class, first year teacher with zero control. A bully was going around frogging everybody on the arm. I decked him and broke his nose while sitting at my desk.