Sign in to follow this  
bfros

Keaton Mitchell hype train...

I wouldn't get too excited.  I think all of his production was after the Seahawks had basically given up.  He is still a decent dynasty stash as he was before this week.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Showboat said:

I wouldn't get too excited.  I think all of his production was after the Seahawks had basically given up.  He is still a decent dynasty stash as he was before this week.

Good points.

1 hour ago, Showboat said:

Not true. He was used early in the game. 5 carries in the first half, 4 carries in the second half. Rotated with Gus. He ripped off his two long runs in the 3rd and then 4th quarter. J.Hill was used on a bunch of carries late in the game after it was out of hand. It was Gus and Mitchell. Mitchell looked much more explosive to me. Hit 21 mph on his best run, which is a record for all Ravens runners this season. Only downside is the crowded backfield. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bfros said:

Not true. He was used early in the game. 5 carries in the first half, 4 carries in the second half. Rotated with Gus. He ripped off his two long runs in the 3rd and then 4th quarter. J.Hill was used on a bunch of carries late in the game after it was out of hand. It was Gus and Mitchell. Mitchell looked much more explosive to me. Hit 21 mph on his best run, which is a record for all Ravens runners this season. Only downside is the crowded backfield. 

I agree with this. I watched this game and Mitchell looked great when the game was still “in doubt” and was playing ahead of Hill.  He piled on some big gains later of course. This backfield is certainly a bit annoying though. 

Positives: 

Led the FBS with 54 runs of 10-plus yards in 2022, per PFF.
Pure speed to eliminate pursuit angles and strike with long touchdowns.
Acceleration is instantaneous.
Able to cut and burst in a single motion.
Uses wiggle to beat tacklers or buy himself time.
Rides tight to blocker when slipping through interior creases.
Challenging matchup for linebackers as a receiver.

Negatives: 

On the smaller side for an NFL running back. (5’ 8’’ - 179 lbs)
Unable to finish runs falling forward.
Looks to bounce runs wide far too often.
Needs a clear point of entry as a ball-carrier.
Doesn’t have size to stand in against blitzers.
Drops come in bunches.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/keaton-mitchell/32004d49-5437-6653-df6c-6e9f57253f37

I didn't see any reference to injuries in the year before the draft. That's a + 

An undrafted free agent making it big in the NFL is rare, but it happens.

Arian Foster comes to mind. He had injury problems his last year in college. 

I could pick him up as my RB 5, but it would mean dropping Moss. Moss is already a "league winner if starter gets hurt" play...is Mitchell much better at this point? 

16 hours ago, ZeroTolerance said:

I could pick him up as my RB 5, but it would mean dropping Moss. Moss is already a "league winner if starter gets hurt" play...is Mitchell much better at this point? 

I think you need to hold onto Moss unless you struggle weekly to fill your RB slot - and it doesn't sound like you do.

On 11/7/2023 at 9:59 AM, IMMensaMind said:

I think you need to hold onto Moss unless you struggle weekly to fill your RB slot - and it doesn't sound like you do.

Yeah, once my guys are off of IR my roster will be: Hurts/Stroud, St Brown/Higgins/DiJohnson/Kirk/Collins/Rice, Pollard/Achane/KWilliams/JCook/Moss, Andrews

someone mentioned him several weeks ago so I picked him up in my  2 keeper leagues. Used him as a throw in player in a trade mainly involving picks in one. Might be starting him in the other this week depending on if Montgomery plays or not.

On 11/6/2023 at 3:51 PM, easilyscan said:

On the smaller side for an NFL running back. (5’ 8’’ - 179 lbs)

He's bigger than this. I don't know if 10 pounds makes that much difference, but he's more 190 than 180.

You can’t teach speed. This guy has home run threat juice. Get him the rock with a little space and he can be very productive with modest touches. Flex floor with rb2 upside if Balt uses him right.

If you'd like a really sharp analysis of the way Baltimore used Mitchell last week, listen to the analysis here on Beyond the Box Score (CBS). It's from the 30:50 mark until 33:50. Just scroll to that section. Good stuff.