Sign in to follow this  
Hardcore troubadour

MLB 2024

The twins have now won 12 in a row. 

13 hours ago, Gepetto said:

PitchCom   - I just learned about this. Used in the majors since 2022

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PitchCom

There is also the universal DH (which sucks) and a pitch clock as well (which also sucks)…

2 hours ago, posty said:

There is also the universal DH (which sucks) and a pitch clock as well (which also sucks)…

Initially I didn’t like either of these things (well pitch count I wasn’t really sure about) but now I think are have been good additions.

Pitcher batting had become pretty absurd, complete dead spot in the batting order. Don’t miss seeing them hit .096 or flail at trying to bunt a runner over.

Pitch clock has been seamless. Games move along better. Batters not stepping out every pitch playing with their gloves. The throw over to first rule has added to stolen bases. Don’t even notice the clock now.

@thegeneral

Looks like yesterday's game is more evidence of how the Pirates ownership/organization, are slow playing Skenes.  In his first 6 starts, they were all on 5 days rest (well, 1 was 6 because of rain), and they got him up to a 75 pitch count limit.  Yesterday was the first time he pitched on 4 days rest... to get him acclimated to the MLB rotation [sarcasm], and they had him on a 60 pitch count limit (pulled him after 50).  One of two things will happen, 1) they drop his pitch count to 50 with 4 days rest or 2) push him to 85 pitches with 5 days rest.  The objective will be to build up is endurance for a 4 day rest schedule.  They have no intention of bringing him up prior to June 8th.  I even think that if they can push it another week, they will.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

@thegeneral

Looks like yesterday's game is more evidence of how the Pirates ownership/organization, are slow playing Skenes.  In his first 6 starts, they were all on 5 days rest (well, 1 was 6 because of rain), and they got him up to a 75 pitch count limit.  Yesterday was the first time he pitched on 4 days rest... to get him acclimated to the MLB rotation [sarcasm], and they had him on a 60 pitch count limit (pulled him after 50).  One of two things will happen, 1) they drop his pitch count to 50 with 4 days rest or 2) push him to 85 pitches with 5 days rest.  The objective will be to build up is endurance for a 4 day rest schedule.  They have no intention of bringing him up prior to June 8th.  I even think that if they can push it another week, they will.

Dumb! They need to consider my team 😂

They got Jones up there firing 100 pitches, get Skenes up! Only so many bullets in that arm!

1 hour ago, thegeneral said:

Dumb! They need to consider my team 😂

They got Jones up there firing 100 pitches, get Skenes up! Only so many bullets in that arm!

Jones is more of a "happy accident" (as Bob Ross would say), and not something that happened by design.  He was never a top 100 prospect until Sprint Training this year.  He was a 2nd rd pick out of high school in 2020, that the Pirates thought of as a high risk/high reward type player.  He mainly got a spot because they saw him as a #4 or #5 starter that could possibly start to develop as a #3 at some point.  They didn't expect him to pitch like an ace in his first 7 starts.  The last 2 years, he was at 122 and 126, so not much different than Skenes.  I'm willing to bet that Jones gets shut down, just like Skenes, at 150 IP this year.

Red Sux turned into the A's :lol: 

https://www.mlb.com/redsox/tickets/packs/bff-pax?partnerId=zh-20240506-1260478-BOS-1-A&qid=55&utm_id=zh-20240506-1260478-BOS-1-A&bt_ee=QnHQ9Y%2FU39jPrn1NpbA7EtVoOegDI0p0VAI3QZPyd8lCTkjpPYgdjZ2V%2FfmeQK4Y&bt_ts=1715008457990

2 tickets, 2 Fenway Franks, and 2 fountain drinks starting at $49

Bring your bestie to Fenway with our new BFF Pax offer, courtesy of Aramark. For the May 13-15 games against the Rays, receive two tickets, two Fenway Franks, and two fountain drinks - starting at $49!

*Tickets must be presented at concession stands to redeem food/beverage. No substitutions available.

$18 per ticket :overhead: 

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Jones is more of a "happy accident" (as Bob Ross would say), and not something that happened by design.  He was never a top 100 prospect until Sprint Training this year.  He was a 2nd rd pick out of high school in 2020, that the Pirates thought of as a high risk/high reward type player.  He mainly got a spot because they saw him as a #4 or #5 starter that could possibly start to develop as a #3 at some point.  They didn't expect him to pitch like an ace in his first 7 starts.  The last 2 years, he was at 122 and 126, so not much different than Skenes.  I'm willing to bet that Jones gets shut down, just like Skenes, at 150 IP this year.

Dude is just nasty! Thanks for the Pirates info. @ me with any minor leaguers coming up. Team is 2-3 with most points scored.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thegeneral said:

Dude is just nasty! Thanks for the Pirates info. @ me with any minor leaguers coming up. Team is 2-3 with most points scored.

The only player that potentially could be called up anytime soon is Nick Gonzales (2B).  Right now, he's hitting extremely well in AAA with a slash line of .360 / .422 / .597.  If there's one thing the Pirates need right now, it's hitting.  There's a chance they bring him up and send Jared Triolo down, who's not doing anything right now.  It's also possible that they jettison Rowdy Tellez who's hitting a whopping .211 with a .565 OPS and make Connor Joe (the only guy hitting), the everyday first basemen.  This would allow them to move Triolo to the OF and put Gonzales at 2B.

With regards to Gonzales, he's no savior, but he might be pretty good.  He was a top 50 MLB prospect not too long ago, but struggled after getting called up last year.  He'll be 25 soon, so he's not "old", and should be coming into his prime.  It's possible that maybe he already "found it", and is ready to hit the ground running... it's also possible that he's just a really great AAA player, but not a good MLB player.  In either event, he may be worth a stash if you have a spot.

Outside of him (and Skenes), no one is likely to come up this year that would be of any interest.  Everyone else is in AA or lower, that has impact potential.

• Thanks 1

Say Hey, Willie Mays is 93 today. Is he the greatest living player? I say yes. 

Skenes is getting called up to the Buccos...

https://www.mlb.com/news/paul-skenes-called-up-by-pirates

PITTSBURGH – The wait for Paul Skenes is finally over. The Pirates announced on Wednesday that they are promoting their top prospect to the Majors. Skenes, a fireballing right-hander, is scheduled to make his first start on Saturday against the Cubs at PNC Park (4:05 p.m. ET), according to the club.

Skenes was the first overall pick in last year’s Draft and is currently ranked as the No. 3 prospect in the game, including the top pitcher, by MLB Pipeline. The 6-foot-6 Skenes burst onto the national scene last year with Louisiana State University, being named the D1 National Player of the Year and leading his school to the College World Series title.

Armed with a fastball that consistently registers in the triple digits and a wipeout slider, Skenes certainly lived up to the hype during his time in the Minors this year, where he recorded a 0.99 ERA and 45 strikeouts over 27 1/3 innings with Triple-A Indianapolis. He has also developed his pitch repertoire in his time as a professional, mixing in his changeup, curveball and “splinker” (a sinker-splitter hybrid) more, adding additional weapons to his arsenal.

While there were some cries for Skenes to start the season in the Majors, the Pirates wanted to be diligent with his adjustment to the professional game and his workload management. After throwing 112 1/3 innings in his first two collegiate seasons with the Air Force Academy, he threw 122 2/3 frames as a junior with LSU. He also pitched the normal college routine, making one start a week, rather than following a typical professional five-day rotation schedule. Because of that, the Pirates opted to have him toss some shorter outings with Indianapolis before stretching him out further in mid-April.

It’s easy to see why keeping Skenes’ right arm strong is the Pirates’ top priority; MLB Pipeline grades his fastball as an 80, the highest possible mark on the scouting scale. Some have suggested Skenes is the top pitching prospect since Stephen Strasburg, and even his opponents have marveled at his stuff.

“I think he was probably throwing like 110 [mph],” Orioles infielder Jackson Holliday said after striking out against Skenes at Spring Breakout in March. “That’s what it looked like.

“If he keeps throwing like that, it won’t be too long until he’s in the big leagues,” Holliday later said of Skenes. It turns out he was right.

Skenes will join a rotation headed by Mitch Keller, who had his contract extended this spring, and rookie Jared Jones. That trio could very well serve as the front three of the Pirates’ rotation for years to come.

But first comes Skenes’ debut, which should be one of the most anticipated starts to a career in Pirates history.

----------

I wonder if he will last as long in the majors?

• Like 1

So how many times will GF Olivia Dunne be shown during his first outing?

On 5/6/2024 at 1:39 PM, TBayXXXVII said:

The only player that potentially could be called up anytime soon is Nick Gonzales (2B).  Right now, he's hitting extremely well in AAA with a slash line of .360 / .422 / .597.  If there's one thing the Pirates need right now, it's hitting.  There's a chance they bring him up and send Jared Triolo down, who's not doing anything right now.  It's also possible that they jettison Rowdy Tellez who's hitting a whopping .211 with a .565 OPS and make Connor Joe (the only guy hitting), the everyday first basemen.  This would allow them to move Triolo to the OF and put Gonzales at 2B.

With regards to Gonzales, he's no savior, but he might be pretty good.  He was a top 50 MLB prospect not too long ago, but struggled after getting called up last year.  He'll be 25 soon, so he's not "old", and should be coming into his prime.  It's possible that maybe he already "found it", and is ready to hit the ground running... it's also possible that he's just a really great AAA player, but not a good MLB player.  In either event, he may be worth a stash if you have a spot.

Outside of him (and Skenes), no one is likely to come up this year that would be of any interest.  Everyone else is in AA or lower, that has impact potential.

Our boy is getting the call!

2 hours ago, thegeneral said:

Our boy is getting the call!

Yeah, I'm totally shocked they're doing this.  It's completely operating outside their norm.  I don't know how it's going to help the team though... they're not scoring runs.

9 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Yeah, I'm totally shocked they're doing this.  It's completely operating outside their norm.  I don't know how it's going to help the team though... they're not scoring runs.

What you were saying made sense but I guess they just say get him up there’s no more he can do down there.

I feel the hype is a bit much, would have been the case whenever he came up I suppose, so will be hard to meet the expectations. 

Chris Sale whiffs 10 Red Sox and lets up no runs in 6 innings :doublethumbsup: 

Grissom sucks. What a terrible get. 

10 hours ago, thegeneral said:

What you were saying made sense but I guess they just say get him up there’s no more he can do down there.

I feel the hype is a bit much, would have been the case whenever he came up I suppose, so will be hard to meet the expectations. 

Honestly, I didn't think there was much he could do down there in the first place.  From a progress stand point, he was further along that Jared Jones coming into Spring Training, but for some reason, Skenes only pitched 2 innings and Jones 13.  The only logical conclusion for that is that they were trying to get Skenes to fall under the Super 2.  The funny thing is that the ML team literally gave them the excuse for keeping him down there, but they still brought him up.  I'm just shocked, that's all.

From listening to Pirates sports talk and reading local articles, Pirates fans are very reasonable on his expectations, and that's where Skenes' ears should be.  Not the national media.  I haven't paid too much attention to that, but the locals seem to be on the consensus opinion that W's and L's are irrelevant, because the team can't hit... that's not his problem.  But, if he can post a sub 3.5 ERA with about 1 K per IP and WHIP around 1.2 or less, Pirates fans will be very encouraged.  Next year is the year that Pirates fans will have higher expectations.  I mean, the dude was a #1 overall pick.  The pick itself sets the expectations as being an Ace.  Now, he doesn't have to be a superstar, but the pick carries the expectation that he'll be the guy you count on in big games.  Not much different than Caleb Williams for the Bears, or any other QB who's picked #1 overall.

14 hours ago, posty said:

So how many times will GF Olivia Dunne be shown during his first outing?

It won't be on national tv, so probably once, twice. :dunno:

I'm sure she'll be sitting with his parents and there's always the in-game interviews.  Does that count?

14 hours ago, posty said:

Skenes is getting called up to the Buccos...

https://www.mlb.com/news/paul-skenes-called-up-by-pirates

PITTSBURGH – The wait for Paul Skenes is finally over. The Pirates announced on Wednesday that they are promoting their top prospect to the Majors. Skenes, a fireballing right-hander, is scheduled to make his first start on Saturday against the Cubs at PNC Park (4:05 p.m. ET), according to the club.

Skenes was the first overall pick in last year’s Draft and is currently ranked as the No. 3 prospect in the game, including the top pitcher, by MLB Pipeline. The 6-foot-6 Skenes burst onto the national scene last year with Louisiana State University, being named the D1 National Player of the Year and leading his school to the College World Series title.

Armed with a fastball that consistently registers in the triple digits and a wipeout slider, Skenes certainly lived up to the hype during his time in the Minors this year, where he recorded a 0.99 ERA and 45 strikeouts over 27 1/3 innings with Triple-A Indianapolis. He has also developed his pitch repertoire in his time as a professional, mixing in his changeup, curveball and “splinker” (a sinker-splitter hybrid) more, adding additional weapons to his arsenal.

While there were some cries for Skenes to start the season in the Majors, the Pirates wanted to be diligent with his adjustment to the professional game and his workload management. After throwing 112 1/3 innings in his first two collegiate seasons with the Air Force Academy, he threw 122 2/3 frames as a junior with LSU. He also pitched the normal college routine, making one start a week, rather than following a typical professional five-day rotation schedule. Because of that, the Pirates opted to have him toss some shorter outings with Indianapolis before stretching him out further in mid-April.

It’s easy to see why keeping Skenes’ right arm strong is the Pirates’ top priority; MLB Pipeline grades his fastball as an 80, the highest possible mark on the scouting scale. Some have suggested Skenes is the top pitching prospect since Stephen Strasburg, and even his opponents have marveled at his stuff.

“I think he was probably throwing like 110 [mph],” Orioles infielder Jackson Holliday said after striking out against Skenes at Spring Breakout in March. “That’s what it looked like.

“If he keeps throwing like that, it won’t be too long until he’s in the big leagues,” Holliday later said of Skenes. It turns out he was right.

Skenes will join a rotation headed by Mitch Keller, who had his contract extended this spring, and rookie Jared Jones. That trio could very well serve as the front three of the Pirates’ rotation for years to come.

But first comes Skenes’ debut, which should be one of the most anticipated starts to a career in Pirates history.

----------

I wonder if he will last as long in the majors?

That'll be someone else's problem, not the Pirates.  He'll be traded by the time that comes along.

Damn. 

25 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

Damn. 

That was awesome, thanks for posting. 
Witt Jr is the fastest runner https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/sprint_speed and the 5th highest average fastest exit velocity / bat speed https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/statcast_leaderboard?sort=exit_velocity_avg&sortDir=desc (in 2024), and #2 in WAR https://www.espn.com/mlb/war/leaders so far this year.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gepetto said:

That was awesome, thanks for posting. 
Witt Jr is the fastest runner https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/sprint_speed and the 5th highest average fastest exit velocity / bat speed https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/statcast_leaderboard?sort=exit_velocity_avg&sortDir=desc (in 2024), and #2 in WAR https://www.espn.com/mlb/war/leaders so far this year.

Stumbled across this gem

Bobby is on pace for a 199 hit/46 2B/21 3B/21 HR/83 RBI/54 SB/66 BB/12 WAR

A 12 WAR season would put him at the 6th highest WAR season ever and only the 2nd player in the top 10 under the age of 25. He'd have the highest WAR season of the modern era and it'd be the highest WAR in a season since 1967.

How awesome is it to have the best mlb player and best nfl player in the current era right here in kc? :banana:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

Stumbled across this gem

How awesome is it to have the best mlb player and best nfl player in the current era right here in kc? :banana:

200 hits,  21 Hr’s and 83 RBI’s is historic? The nerd stats in baseball are a joke. 

6 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

200 hits,  21 Hr’s and 83 RBI’s is historic? The nerd stats in baseball are a joke. 

I'm not saying he'll keep up this torrent pace, but he's trending toward 150 runs this season.  Looking at this list of records, I'd say that's a pretty historic number if he gets close.  

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/R_season.shtml

3 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

I'm not saying he'll keep up this torrent pace, but he's trending toward 150 runs this season.  Looking at this list of records, I'd say that's a pretty historic number if he gets close.  

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/R_season.shtml

He’s supposed to be a run producer. Those are not historic numbers for a run producer. Babe Ruth’s WAR is 183.  And we’re talking about a 12? 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

He’s supposed to be a run producer. Those are not historic numbers for a run producer. Babe Ruth’s WAR is 183.  And we’re talking about a 12? 

Babe Ruth provided 183 wins above replacement player?  How many games did they play in 1920, 363? :mellow:

1 minute ago, cmh6476 said:

Babe Ruth provided 183 wins above replacement player?  How many games did they play in 1920, 363? :mellow:

That’s his career WAR.  

23 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

That’s his career WAR.  

well since we are talking about one of BWJ's likely 12-14 years in the bigs, he won't be far off :dunno:

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

well since we are talking about one of BWJ's likely 12-14 years in the bigs, he won't be far off :dunno:

You got me. I’m a bit rusty on the new math. Never mind. 

1 hour ago, porkbutt said:

phillies best team in baseball history! :pointstosky:

Mets − $305,624,274
Yankees − $303,322,047
Dodgers − $249,823,654
Phillies − $243,476,617
Astros − $236,524,482
Rangers − $223,355,753
Blue Jays − $221,862,600
Braves − $217,290,000
Cubs − $213,020,500
Giants − $211,044,828

So impressive. 

19 hours ago, edjr said:

So impressive. 

Can you please do some current wins total as a percent of mlb payroll for all 30 teams please? TIA

23 hours ago, edjr said:

So impressive. 

some teams on that list have massive payrolls and can't win. I became a Rays fan because I was tired of the Yankees buying every player available starting in the early 2000s. They still couldn't win it all, but as I got older I at least started to respect the teams that tried by spending. Much better than the teams who could spend but don't because they care more about the bottom line than winning. 

But if you're going to spend, my god... at least have some sort of plan in place to actually win. The Giants are a great example this year of spending for the sake of spending. And of course, the Mets... although I do think the Mets can be a better team this season than people expected after last years disaster and the dumping they had to do. 

It’s funny, in the 90’s the Yankees weren’t gluttons, most of their talent was homegrown or via trade. Sure the payroll increased to the top, but that’s a cost of winning so much. But then like WW said, in the early 2000’s , starting with Giambi, they decided to just buy it when the O’Neill/ Tino guys were done and they won less. Then they bought 2009 and that’s been it. There was no need to take A-Rod.  They were trying to replace Aaron Boone, not Mike Schmidt. Hard to believe Cashman still has the job. It’s good to be friends with the boss and the media.  Sophisticated tough NY media my ass.  That’s the biggest myth around.  The Maras never get touched. They go after Dolan now and again. Just look at NY sports. 3 titles total since 2007. All teams.  

2 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Sophisticated tough NY media my ass.  That’s the biggest myth around.  The Maras never get touched. They go after Dolan now and again. Just look at NY sports. 3 titles total since 2007. All teams.  

I think tough media is probably still true but it's all on the players, not the ownership. Woody Johnson rarely gets criticized. Cashman has survived because he's basically viewed as part of the ownership. 

The whole NY thing, I think is about the spotlight and scrutiny for players and there is definitely some truth to it. Sonny Gray is a perfect example. He's been a great pitcher everywhere else. 

1 minute ago, WhiteWonder said:

I think tough media is probably still true but it's all on the players, not the ownership. Woody Johnson rarely gets criticized. Cashman has survived because he's basically viewed as part of the ownership. 

The whole NY thing, I think is about the spotlight and scrutiny for players and there is definitely some truth to it. Sonny Gray is a perfect example. He's been a great pitcher everywhere else. 

Maybe, but if you are constantly failing maybe it’s the constant presence that needs to feel the heat. After Coughlin, who Wellington Mara hired, not the son and the other family members cashing a check, left, The Giants have won one playoff game. Jerry Jones catches a lot of shitt. John Mara and his clan escape it.  John Mara, in a lost season last year, said he out the brakes on trading Barkley because he felt SB should be able to decide where he goes when the season is over and he didn’t think it was fair that another team might tag him. WTF? And the Jones contract was all John Mara. 

2 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Maybe, but if you are constantly failing maybe it’s the constant presence that needs to feel the heat. After Coughlin, who Wellington Mara hired, not the son and the other family members cashing a check, left, The Giants have won one playoff game. Jerry Jones catches a lot of shitt. John Mara and his clan escape it.  John Mara, in a lost season last year, said he out the brakes on trading Barkley because he felt SB should be able to decide where he goes when the season is over and he didn’t think it was fair that another team might tag him. WTF? And the Jones contract was all John Mara. 

I agree, ownership should be criticized in NY and it’s not. Just saying I think the New York spotlight and media criticism is real, but only for players. Would be nice if owners took their deserved lumps 

1 hour ago, WhiteWonder said:

I agree, ownership should be criticized in NY and it’s not. Just saying I think the New York spotlight and media criticism is real, but only for players. Would be nice if owners took their deserved lumps 

Agree. The Knicks and the Rangers have one title between them since 1973.  That’s Fockin nuts.  Dolan has owned both since 1999.  25 years, 50 seasons, 0 titles. 

as if watching the Red Sox isn’t difficult enough, Kevin Youkilous makes the game unlistenable.