Sign in to follow this  
ROCK BOTTOM

Lamar to flop today

You guys are tough graders. The Chiefs had one of the best passing defenses in the league this year. It seems that really isn't being taken into account at all. Lamar averaged 7.4 yrds/att, way higher than the 6.0 the Chiefs gave up all year.  

Stat nerds to the rescue. He sucked. End of story. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike Honcho said:

You guys are tough graders. The Chiefs had one of the best passing defenses in the league this year. It seems that really isn't being taken into account at all. Lamar averaged 7.4 yrds/att, way higher than the 6.0 the Chiefs gave up all year.  

He wasn't putrid.  But he wasn’t good.  KC ran a lot of drop zone late.  Much of his stats were garbage in a way.   

Just by the eye test you can see what Lamar is.  He has no idea what to do vs a drop zone.  He bounces around a very clean pocket for 4 seconds then just runs.  

They put up 10 pts.  That doesn't seem good enough.  

3 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

He wasn't putrid.  But he wasn’t good.  KC ran a lot of drop zone late.  Much of his stats were garbage in a way.   

Just by the eye test you can see what Lamar is.  He has no idea what to do vs a drop zone.  He bounces around a very clean pocket for 4 seconds then just runs.  

They put up 10 pts.  That doesn't seem good enough.  

Felt like it should have been 17 if Flowers didn't shoot the team in the foot, twice. 
IMO, KC defense is not getting enough credit for being as really good, that's all. 

Just now, Mike Honcho said:

Felt like it should have been 17 if Flowers didn't shoot the team in the foot, twice. 
IMO, KC defense is not getting enough credit for being as really good, that's all. 

KC has a nice defense.  I think Ravens have a better defense.   

Bills played poor and put up 24 vs that defense last week.  

It is telling when the MVP has a poor game and the narrative is "well he played a good defense".  Yea.  And hes the MVP.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

It is telling when the MVP has a poor game and the narrative is "well he played a good defense".  Yea.  And hes the MVP.  

I love the Raven's defense.  I was watching that game and thinking if the Packers tackled as well as the Ravens we probably have 4 less losses and might be playing in the Super Bowl. 

I haven't paid any attention to the MVP really, but have watched a few Chiefs games since they are always on they are fun to watch. Guess I am making some excuses for his play, but I really didn't find the result all that surprising. So I'm a little surprised by all the blame.  Whatever, the games were fun to watch yesterday.  :cheers:

6 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

KC's defense played great.  The Raven's defense, is one of the best in the league, and they played great.  Mahomes did not play great but he protected the ball.  Lamar turned it over twice, once in the end zone.  I expected an MVP candidate to play better.  Instead, he played like another MVP candidate, Dak. 

1 minute ago, Bert said:

KC's defense played great.  The Raven's defense, is one of the best in the league, and they played great.  Mahomes did not play great but he protected the ball.  Lamar turned it over twice, once in the end zoneI expected an MVP candidate to play better.  Instead, he played like another MVP candidate, Dak. 

And to @listen2me 23 too, I guess this is a very fair critique.

2 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

I love the Raven's defense.  I was watching that game and thinking if the Packers tackled as well as the Ravens we probably have 4 less losses and might be playing in the Super Bowl. 

I haven't paid any attention to the MVP really, but have watched a few Chiefs games since they are always on they are fun to watch. Guess I am making some excuses for his play, but I really didn't find the result all that surprising. So I'm a little surprised by all the blame.  Whatever, the games were fun to watch yesterday.  :cheers:

Chiefs have a nice defense.  But if Mahomes played poor and lost no one would be like "well heplayed the ravens who have a top pass D".  Not a single person would utter those words.  

7 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Well said, we seem to want to skewer certain players for below average play and give others a pass. It's odd.

Lamar is going to be a 2 time MVP, his play yesterday wasn't good enough. He should absolutely be criticized.

He has 2 total playoff wins and he's about to have the same amount of MVP's. Something is off with that stat...

Lamar is 2-4 in the postseason.  

In those 6 they have scored

17 12 20(in a win) 3 17 34 10.  

Lamar in 6 games has 9 total TDs and 9 turnovers.  

75 rating

57% completion

Those are Justin Fields numbers folks.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Lamar is 2-4 in the postseason.  

In those 6 they have scored

17 12 20(in a win) 3 17 34 10.  

Lamar in 6 games has 9 total TDs and 9 turnovers.  

75 rating

57% completion

Those are Justin Fields numbers folks.  

We as Fantasy Football players often get caught up in highlight reels and fantasy stats. 

He's a stud in fantasy, very good in real life football (at times) and crappy in the playoffs. 

Honestly, I'd probably rather have Purdy who plays between the lines. He's not overly exciting but can follow the script. 

2 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

We as Fantasy Football players often get caught up in highlight reels and fantasy stats. 

He's a stud in fantasy, very good in real life football (at times) and crappy in the playoffs. 

Honestly, I'd probably rather have Purdy who plays between the lines. He's not overly exciting but can follow the script. 

I don't know if it was mentioned yet, but did anyone notice that the Ravens only handed off to their RBs 6 times in the game?

Six. Against a team that could be run on.

Anyone? The previous week they handed to backs 31 times. 

And people wanna blame the QB for that loss?

4 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:
13 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

I don't know if it was mentioned yet, but did anyone notice that the Ravens only handed off to their RBs 6 times in the game

Isn't that insane? They averaged 30 rushing attempts a game during the regular season and led the league with 540 attempts. They didn't even try. 

7 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Isn't that insane? They averaged 30 rushing attempts a game during the regular season and led the league with 540 attempts. They didn't even try. 

It's so f-ing glaring how bad that game plan was. Where's the Harbaugh accountability? This loss was not on Jackson. They played into the strength of KCs defense. That was not quality coaching. 

1 minute ago, seafoam1 said:

Where's the Harbaugh accountability?

He deserves more blame than Lamar IMO. It's like they were playing street ball. It wasn't like it was a blowout, they had every opportunity to run the ball but didn't. It's head scratching 

4 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

He deserves more blame than Lamar IMO. It's like they were playing street ball. It wasn't like it was a blowout, they had every opportunity to run the ball but didn't. It's head scratching 

It's surreal. People get so wound up in the pop star sitting in the audience that they forget to watch the game. 

Just now, seafoam1 said:

It's surreal. People get so wound up in the pop star sitting in the audience that they forget to watch the game. 

Exactly, I'd rather look at Taylor Swift over Andy Reid's fat ass. 

Rodgers gets ripped for winning only one SB yet Lamar can’t even get to one and people ride to the rescue. Seems fair. 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

Rodgers gets fillies for winning only one SB yet Lamar can’t even get to one. Seems fair. 

Unless Lamar learns to play within a system, he'll never win a Superbowl. He's still too raw to conduct and implement a gameplan. 

1 hour ago, seafoam1 said:

I don't know if it was mentioned yet, but did anyone notice that the Ravens only handed off to their RBs 6 times in the game?

Six. Against a team that could be run on.

Anyone? The previous week they handed to backs 31 times. 

And people wanna blame the QB for that loss?

I agree. Lamar didn't play well, but the Ravens play calling was terrible. Harbaugh should carry a lot of blame. 

1 minute ago, Herbivore said:

I agree. Lamar didn't play well, but the Ravens play calling was terrible. Harbaugh should carry a lot of blame. 

This.  Lamar sucked but when you're passing 100% of the time that takes away play action and any kind of uncertainty from the defense.

Harbs should be fired for running the ball so few times.  KC's run D sucks.  Their pass D is great.  Let's pass the ball every down!

Morons. 

1 hour ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Exactly, I'd rather look at Taylor Swift over Andy Reid's fat ass. 

I don't want Andy's ass anywhere in the picture.  Perhaps you mean 'instead of' rather than 'over'.  More disturbingly, perhaps you don't!

Just now, Engorgeous George said:

Perhaps you mean 'instead of' rather than 'over

Absolutely, thank you for clarifying. I'm sure that nobody wants Andy's ass in their face. 

Just now, Maximum Overkill said:

Absolutely, thank you for clarifying. I'm sure that nobody wants Andy's ass in their face. 

I don't know.  There is always one in the crowd with really disturbing propensities.

1 minute ago, Herbivore said:

I am no Lamar Jackson fan. Same for the Ravens. I had no horse in the race. But I do actually think Jackson was set up for failure.  What the hell team was Zay Flowers a playing for? How can the guy get a taunting penalty like he got in a game like that? And Jim Harbaugh should be calling his brother out for that mess. 

I don't think anyone anywhere has said Lamar is solely to blame.  

He played bad.  

1 minute ago, seafoam1 said:

I am no Lamar Jackson fan. Same for the Ravens. I had no horse in the race. But I do actually think Jackson was set up for failure.  What the hell team was Zay Flowers a playing for? How can the guy get a taunting penalty like he got in a game like that? And Jim Harbaugh should be calling his brother out for that mess. 

Love that taunt.  It was a few seconds developing.  It was clear he should have stopped, but he was just too stupid to stop.  He begged for that penalty.

4 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

I don't think anyone anywhere has said Lamar is solely to blame.  

He played bad.  

Well his dodging the sack before his first touchdown throw was quite a memorable paly.  he managed to dodge another three sacks the same way before they finally got him.  He had half a dozen inpired runs.  His pass to himself was fun.  OOn the other hand his lack of pocket awareness caught up to him.  He was wholly unaware the strip sack was coming.  He has no time sense in the pocket.  I was also fascinated to see the lmmited use of Beckham and Andrews.  I thought both would have greater involvement.

Edwards seemed to run with authority the time or two he got the ball.  Seems they could have used that to try to set up some play action game.

Lamar Jackson is one of the top five QBs in the league. He doesn't suddenly suck. But, his game has limitations and the Chiefs found a way to mute many of his strengths as good teams do. Who would you rather have at QB than Lamar? Mahomes, Allen....and then maybe Burrow if he could stay healthy. That's about it. Lamar is not the best QB in the league. Fine. But, he's better than 27-28 other starters. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

Agreed again. I did want the Ravens to win, but just for new team reasons. I actually yelled at the TV when Flowers got that taunting penalty, something like "you effing idiot". My wife in the next room asked what's wrong, and I said nothing just yelling at this moron. I think that penalty helped cause his fumble a few plays later, like trying to make up for it. 

• Like 1

The defender made a great play on the Flowers fumble. Like he’s taught. The defense does that sometimes. Lamar’s turnovers were not great plays by the defense, just bad plays by him. 

5 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

The defender made a great play on the Flowers fumble. Like he’s taught. The defense does that sometimes. Lamar’s turnovers were not great plays by the defense, just bad plays by him. 

He was forced into it. They handed the ball off to their RBs a total of only 6 times.  Everybody and their mom knew you should run over pass against kc.

12 minutes ago, Fumbleweed said:

Lamar Jackson is one of the top five QBs in the league. He doesn't suddenly suck. But, his game has limitations and the Chiefs found a way to mute many of his strengths as good teams do. Who would you rather have at QB than Lamar? Mahomes, Allen....and then maybe Burrow if he could stay healthy. That's about it. Lamar is not the best QB in the league. Fine. But, he's better than 27-28 other starters. 

Yeah, I don't really get this, Baltimore is probably as good as they're gonna be with the current iteration. Lamar is what he is at this point, how is his play in the playoffs going to be better moving forward? 

7 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

He was forced into it. They handed the ball off to their RBs a total of only 6 times.  Everybody and their mom knew you should run over pass against kc.

Funny you never bring up bad coaching when you’re ragging on Rodgers. 

2 minutes ago, Reality said:

Yeah, I don't really get this, Baltimore is probably as good as they're gonna be with the current iteration. Lamar is what he is at this point, how is his play in the playoffs going to be better moving forward? 

It isn't going to be better, but it still may be enough. There were plenty of things that could be cleaned up in that game that didn't have a thing to do with Lamar. He's good enough to get to a Super Bowl and win it. Just needs a few breaks, as most QBs do. 

Lamar is a good football player.  One of the more dangerous guys in the league.  Hes an okay passer.  

When a good defense has a good gameplan and executes or he has to come from behind.....he tends to look bad.  

A guy like Mahomes or Allen can't really be gameplanned for.  I mean they can, they all have tendencies.  But it is seemingly much more difficult to take things away from those guys.  

This all said, yes the playcalling and the way they maneuvered in game was a bit bizarre and didn't help.