Sign in to follow this  
tubby_mcgee

Have we talked about American Nightmare on Netflix?

American Nightmare is really good.  Only 3 shows I think 40 min each.  True story.  I knew NONE of the back story.  NONE.  ZERO. (Apparently the rest of the planet did.) As Aaron was being interrogated...and given answers and being told by the detective that he was lying .... I thought to myself "no way is he lying/making up".  Same thing with Denise. 

Now, my answer is not a spoiler. I didn't say whether I was correct or fooled by Aaron (and Denise). If you like true, whacked stories with interrogations and cops and robbers, watch it.

Yes. I remember when this happened, but I'd forgotten about most of it, until I started watching. 

I do recall hearing Aaron and thinking the same thing, no WAY he was lying about what happened. This video of her walking to her parents was a little weird, but I didn't think she was lying either. 

Watches it and enjoyed.  When Aaron is being interrogated the detective tells him “I need to figure out how to make you look like a monster.”

So despicable, and a great illustration why it’s the detectives and prosecutors who are the real problem in our criminal justice system rather than your average beat cop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supermike80 said:

Watched it.   was a very well done documentary.  

Yep.
Uhh...others?

Of course Making of a Murderer was excellent.

The one about the Kathleen Peterson that fell down the stairs was good. I've seen the one on Netflix.  Apparently there was one on HBO Max about the same thing.  I haven't seen that one.
The Kathleen Peterson on, I actually first heard about on Forensic Files.  The episode was called "A Novel Idea". This was out way before any of the big series.   Check it out if you haven't yet. 

The one about Laci Peterson/Scott Peterson.  That was excellent also. Its on hulu and here:  https://play.aetv.com/shows/the-murder-of-laci-peterson/season-1/episode-6

Any other ones that any of you have seen that are worth watching?

2 hours ago, tubby_mcgee said:

Yep.
Uhh...others?

The one about the Kathleen Peterson that fell down the stairs was good. I've seen the one on Netflix.  Apparently there was one on HBO Max about the same thing.  I haven't seen that one.
The Kathleen Peterson on, I actually first heard about on Forensic Files.  The episode was called "A Novel Idea". This was out way before any of the big series.   Check it out if you haven't yet. 

The one about Laci Peterson/Scott Peterson.  That was excellent also. Its on hulu and here:  https://play.aetv.com/shows/the-murder-of-laci-peterson/season-1/episode-6

Dont fock with cats was really good

3 hours ago, tubby_mcgee said:

Yep.
Uhh...others?

Well, if you want to develop a strong hate for detectives and prosecutors, or nurture a hate that already exists in you, then look at these:

Exhibit A (really great)

The Confession Tapes

The Innocence Files

The Innocent Man

Dream/Killer (totally infuriating story)

Long Shot 

If you’re just looking for compelling crime docs:

Wild Wild Country 

Evil Genius 

Amanda Knox

Tinder Swindler

The story was outlandish. I don’t blame anyone hearing it to be skeptical. That being said, the way the police handled the interviews and investigations was criminal. 

15 minutes ago, avoiding injuries said:

the way the police handled the interviews and investigations was criminal. 

And, sadly, quite typical.

4 hours ago, tubby_mcgee said:

Yep.
Uhh...others?

The one about Shannan Watts; American Murder: The Family Next Door is good. 

Mostly because she had a HUGE social media presence, they have video of her husband that MORNING, neighbors are there talking about how he's acting weird, etc. It's incredibly sad, but they had SO much on video. 

If you can get past Candice Owens, her Convicting a Murder on Daily Wire was really good. I re-watched Making a Murder, then her show and it was interesting to see how the manipulated the MaM documentary. 

2 hours ago, supermike80 said:

Dont fock with cats was really good

Yes, that's another good one. 

I love documentaries, I love true crime a lot too, but these are all on Netflix and all really good. 

The newest one about Chowchilla and the bus being hijacked was good. 

Trials of Gabriel Hernandez - so so terrible and sad, but well done. 

The Keepers - corruption with the Catholic Church, police force, abuse.  

Athlete A - Gymnasts and Nassar 

The Mind of Aaron Hernandez - Obvi. 

Abducted in Plain Sight - IIRC, young girl befriends older neighbor 

Killer Sally - Female weightlifter/murder 

Keep Sweet, Pray and Obey - LDS Fundamentalists (Warren Jeffs, I think?) 

Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel - Girl in the water tank 

The Challenger Doucmentary 

Downfall - Boeing Documentary 

1 hour ago, TheNewGirl said:

Yes, that's another good one. 

I love documentaries, I love true crime a lot too, but these are all on Netflix and all really good. 

The newest one about Chowchilla and the bus being hijacked was good. 

Trials of Gabriel Hernandez - so so terrible and sad, but well done. 

The Keepers - corruption with the Catholic Church, police force, abuse.  

Athlete A - Gymnasts and Nassar 

The Mind of Aaron Hernandez - Obvi. 

Abducted in Plain Sight - IIRC, young girl befriends older neighbor 

Killer Sally - Female weightlifter/murder 

Keep Sweet, Pray and Obey - LDS Fundamentalists (Warren Jeffs, I think?) 

Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel - Girl in the water tank 

The Challenger Doucmentary 

Downfall - Boeing Documentary 

Abducted In Plain Sight— I definitely would NOT describe that as “young girl befriends older neighbor.”

It’s more like “Parents don’t seem to care their friend has abducted and begun serially raping and brainwashing their child.”

20 minutes ago, MLCKAA said:

Abducted In Plain Sight— I definitely would NOT describe that as “young girl befriends older neighbor.”

It’s more like “Parents don’t seem to care their friend has abducted and begun serially raping and brainwashing their child.”

I didn't want to give spoilers, I know that the parents didn't care. 

7 minutes ago, TheNewGirl said:

I didn't want to give spoilers, I know that the parents didn't care. 

Well I’m just a dik, so I give spoilers 😂

• Haha 1

Damn.  I almost turned it off after the first episode, as I recalled vaguely remembering this story.  All I remembered was the media coverage.  Kudos to the lady cop from the neighboring locality.
  I’ve witnessed some bad interviewing, but nothing like that.  And that’s what it should have been, an interview.  They had Aaron flummoxed.  He was thinking he was there to help, while the detective was pushing it past what I thought was appropriate for someone not in custody. 18 hours?  Fukin d!ckheads. And the airplane mode  is a typical cop trick. Someone they’re  interviewing should never have they’re phone placed in AM by detectives.  I assumed they gave Aaron some bullshat story about how it was necessary and he went along trying to help.  I wished they would have shown more of the interview with the Ex girlfriend.  Also, why they didn’t go and re-interview everyone involved in those peeping Tom cases is beyond reason.  Apathetic detective work.

31 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Damn.  I almost turned it off after the first episode, as I recalled vaguely remembering this story.  All I remembered was the media coverage.  Kudos to the lady cop from the neighboring locality.
  I’ve witnessed some bad interviewing, but nothing like that.  And that’s what it should have been, an interview.  They had Aaron flummoxed.  He was thinking he was there to help, while the detective was pushing it past what I thought was appropriate for someone not in custody. 18 hours?  Fukin d!ckheads. And the airplane mode  is a typical cop trick. Someone they’re  interviewing should never have they’re phone placed in AM by detectives.  I assumed they gave Aaron some bullshat story about how it was necessary and he went along trying to help.  I wished they would have shown more of the interview with the Ex girlfriend.  Also, why they didn’t go and re-interview everyone involved in those peeping Tom cases is beyond reason.  Apathetic detective work.

If you want to see horrifying interrogations, watch The Confession Tapes or The Innocent Man.  I hate police detectives and prosecutors.

• Thanks 1

Not quite a crime doc, but I thought Trainwreck: Woodstock '99 was pretty interesting.

they scammed the system for millions. brilliant

On 1/31/2024 at 2:40 PM, MLCKAA said:

And, sadly, quite typical.

No. Not close.  But it happens.  Ease up on the hyperbole. 

7 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

No. Not close.  But it happens.  Ease up on the hyperbole. 

We’ll just disagree.

4 minutes ago, MLCKAA said:

We’ll just disagree.

Then I guess you think that most of the people in prison are innocent. 

23 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Then I guess you think that most of the people in prison are innocent. 

Typical:  characteristic of a particular person or thing

Detectives and prosecutors behave this way.  There’s very little accountability.  They typically mistreat suspects, witnesses, associates, informants.  They lie during interrogations, push people for inadmissible polygraphs, suppress information, target investigations, fabricate motives, manipulate stupid people, intimidate.  This is all typical.

2 minutes ago, MLCKAA said:

Typical:  characteristic of a particular person or thing

Detectives and prosecutors behave this way.  There’s very little accountability.  They typically mistreat suspects, witnesses, associates, informants.  They lie during interrogations, push people for inadmissible polygraphs, suppress information, target investigations, fabricate motives, manipulate stupid people, intimidate.  This is all typical.

The definition you gave says a particular person,  but you have seen fit to expand it out to many, many people.  You’re going to have to chose one as they are in opposition. 

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

The definition you gave says a particular person,  but you have seen fit to expand it out to many, many people.  You’re going to have to chose one as they are in opposition. 

Dude, you can’t be serious.

Particular refers to a specified group or class (here, detectives and prosecutors).  I’m not sure why you’d attempt to turns this away from the content and toward semantics.

Regardless, I’m fine with simply saying we disagree.  There’s nothing wrong with that.  Not everything has to be a hill that someone dies on.

Watched it, I thought both of them were lying. Don't remember the story at all. Really good, my wife loves this stuff but, I enjoyed this one as well. So focked up what happened to this chick.

2 hours ago, Reality said:

Watched it, I thought both of them were lying.

They were and still are. Greatest scam ever told.