Sign in to follow this  
nobody

Gus Edwards to be the bell cow for the chargers?

I suppose we should take this to mean they love a running back and will draft someone like Jonathan Brooks in the 2nd?

We shall see.  He’s never topped 198 carries in a single season.  That’s a tad shy of bellcow 

They don’t currently have a true rb1.   Edwards has no competition at this time, Kelley stinks.  

Don't sleep on the Chargers this year. Who needs Ekeler, Williams and Allen when you have Gus? 

I guess we'll see, but I have my doubts. I think if he were a bell cow type of RB, he would have been so in Baltimore.

• Like 1

No way. Harbaugh will definitely draft a RB, probably Corum. Edwards can't handle the amount of carries that Harbaugh is going to throw at him. 

On 3/22/2024 at 10:51 AM, polecatt said:

I guess we'll see, but I have my doubts. I think if he were a bell cow type of RB, he would have been so in Baltimore.

I am with you.   I'll take Gus the Bus as a goal line/short yardage back all day long.

as a bell cow?  highly questionable  

On 3/22/2024 at 12:20 PM, Maximum Overkill said:

No way. Harbaugh will definitely draft a RB, probably Corum. Edwards can't handle the amount of carries that Harbaugh is going to throw at him. 

I was pretty sure he would draft someone.  but he also needs to draft a WR.   I would argue they need a WR more than they need a RB but both are big gaping holes in the lineup right now.

7 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

I was pretty sure he would draft someone.  but he also needs to draft a WR.   I would argue they need a WR more than they need a RB but both are big gaping holes in the lineup right now.

Agree. I'd imagine that his first pick will be one of those top 3 WRs or Bowers. Especially now that they have nobody to catch the ball 😊

2 hours ago, Ray_T said:

No question they take a wr first.  

On 3/23/2024 at 9:57 PM, Ray_T said:

I am with you.   I'll take Gus the Bus as a goal line/short yardage back all day long.

as a bell cow?  highly questionable  

I'm pretty sure he keeps that role as the goal line RB. Which of course gives him reasonable value alone.

I don't know that we see a lot of 25 carry, `130 yard games from him, but if he can keep scoring TDs, and maybe even get a little work in the passing game, he should be a good guy to have on your team

Same way he was used with the Ravens I say, but maybe a little bit more touches, i would be surprised if they don’t pick up another, or draft another rb, the Chargers haven’t had very good blessing lately drafting  Rbs.  

5 hours ago, polecatt said:

I'm pretty sure he keeps that role as the goal line RB. Which of course gives him reasonable value alone.

I don't know that we see a lot of 25 carry, `130 yard games from him, but if he can keep scoring TDs, and maybe even get a little work in the passing game, he should be a good guy to have on your team

well, this years draft have a number of young RB's who are available in round 2-3 that are potential starters.  just not necessarily right away.   so maybe that is the plan.

I was thrilled to pick up Edwards off WW during the Ravens Rb shuffle last year. After I got him I immediately searched "Gus Edwards highlights" on Youtube.

Color me disappointed. And those were the highlights. No juke, no speed... just plod forward until touched. I guess that's good enough to be a goal-line back, but that's about it.

45 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

I was thrilled to pick up Edwards off WW during the Ravens Rb shuffle last year. After I got him I immediately searched "Gus Edwards highlights" on Youtube.

Color me disappointed. And those were the highlights. No juke, no speed... just plod forward until touched. I guess that's good enough to be a goal-line back, but that's about it.

yep.   you nailed it.

in short yardage, if the line gives a good push, he will get you 2-3 yards every time. 

if you need 4 or 5 yards he likely still gets you 3 yards every time.(maybe 4)

Thats the problem with him.

of course with Herbert at QB if you are consistently getting 2nd and 7 it opens up more options in the playbook.  maybe thats good enough.

that is.... assuming Herbert has someone to throw the ball to.     

He’s not going to give you a lot of productive runs, but he’s a goal line dude,  Chargers have to address a lot of issues this offseason. Not a lot of upside for Herbert as a ff Qb at this time imo.  

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

He’s not going to give you a lot of productive runs, but he’s a goal line dude,  Chargers have to address a lot of issues this offseason. Not a lot of upside for Herbert as a ff Qb at this time imo.  

no.   both starting WR and the starting, pass catching bell cow all gone, it doesnt look great.

I would have at least kept Allen to mentor whoever they decide to draft.

you'd like to hope the team knows what they are doing but I am skeptical

it will be interesting to see if he can still play

I would not have any faith in taking Dobbins.  

37 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

it will be interesting to see if he can still play

If you're in a dynasty league buy cheap. Harbaugh will wear RBs out. I'm throwing some offers out 😁

I'll be able to get him in my keeper league at the auction.   we keep 3.   I cannot see a scenario where hes kept by anyone unless the team is so bad hes got no better options.

not that hes bad, but hes damaged goods for sure.   and achilles injuries are bad injuries for a RB to get.

11 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

not that hes bad, but hes damaged goods for sure.   and achilles injuries are bad injuries for a RB to get.

Agree, he's a mess but could be worth a roster spot for sure. If healthy, he's still young and very good. 

Redraft , im not interested. 

Yeah, his career so far doesn't suggest that he's a bellcow RB and trust me he won't be in L.A. I guarantee you that the Chargers will draft a RB in the 3rd or 4th round. There's some decent ones in the draft. Pretty sure we won't see one go in the 1st round so the Chargers will have the opportunity to grab one. I could be wrong but Edward's will not get bellcow carries. 

is he really a goal line TD machine? 13 TDs last year and in the 4 healthy seasons before  he had 13 total with 6 of those in 2020.   Could his 13 TDs be because defenses did not know who to focus on Lamar or Gus? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Super Cubs said:

13 TDs last year

Talk about TD dependent, ouch 🤕

To think that he'll ever get close to that again is insane.

Not to mention he's useless in the passing game. 

37 minutes ago, Super Cubs said:

is he really a goal line TD machine? 13 TDs last year and in the 4 healthy seasons before  he had 13 total with 6 of those in 2020.   Could his 13 TDs be because defenses did not know who to focus on Lamar or Gus? 

He won’t match that many with a weaker team like the Chargers, but right now he’s their rb1, with would include goal line rb.  

I think the Ravens took those goal line work away from Jackson, to simply protect their big investment.  

8 hours ago, DocNiner said:

Yeah, his career so far doesn't suggest that he's a bellcow RB and trust me he won't be in L.A. I guarantee you that the Chargers will draft a RB in the 3rd or 4th round. There's some decent ones in the draft. Pretty sure we won't see one go in the 1st round so the Chargers will have the opportunity to grab one. I could be wrong but Edward's will not get bellcow carries. 

no.  I suspect this may be a committee.   

Gus the Bus-short yardage

Dobbins(if they sign him) and unamed draftee likely split the rest.

there may even be one more RB that they may draft or sign as Dobbins health may not be where it needs to be in week 1.

It’s hard to imagine that Dobbins is going to be productive, and His Dobbins due back by the start of the season, does anyone know? I haven’t read any reports about him. 

I thought Justin Jackson was going to have a longer career. He retired at age 27. I thought he was still on the Chargers.

8 hours ago, weepaws said:

It’s hard to imagine that Dobbins is going to be productive, and His Dobbins due back by the start of the season, does anyone know? I haven’t read any reports about him. 

an achillies is plenty to concern yourself with.

even if they announce hes the starter, I dont know that I blow an early pick on the guy.   I just cant justify it given the injury history.

if hes available late in the draft that's where I'll bite because the potential return at that point justifies the cost.    Ideally last or second last round of the draft.   maybe a round or two earlier if they actually name him as the starter.

24 games has Dobbins played in over four seasons.  I’ll pass. 

• Like 1

He will for sure get short yardage carries and goalline tds. Don't think he'll match the previous 13tds this year. He may be lucky to get more than 150 carries depending on who else is in the RB room. Surely you'd think the Chargers would draft an RB 3rd round or later and give them a chance to play. For me though I'll put Gus on my do not draft list and dkn't think he'll even be in the top 30 rbs.

On 3/29/2024 at 7:59 AM, Super Cubs said:

Yes probably true. Those running RBs make it hard to defend because you can’t just (or even mostly) focus on the RB. Plus, of course, the threat of play action 

4 hours ago, DocNiner said:

He will for sure get short yardage carries and goalline tds. Don't think he'll match the previous 13tds this year. He may be lucky to get more than 150 carries depending on who else is in the RB room. Surely you'd think the Chargers would draft an RB 3rd round or later and give them a chance to play. For me though I'll put Gus on my do not draft list and dkn't think he'll even be in the top 30 rbs.

Depending on who else the Chargers pick up, I’m not going to pass, I think Edwards could be a good low rb3-4.