Sign in to follow this  
MDC

The ***OFFICIAL*** NFL draft thread

I wish the Bears had more draft picks so they could trade up and take DeJean.  Some team is going to be very lucky getting the steal of the draft with him.

I'm just excited to go on the "Do we have a young franchise QB?" ride.  As a Vikings Fan, we've never really experienced it.  Sort of with Tommy Kramer and Daunte, but those picks didn't feel quite the same.  Ponder was a #12 pick, but EVERYONE knew as soon as he was drafted that he wasn't it.

Then to get Turner on top of that...it was a fun night.  It is such a stark contrast from the past when Spielman would have traded out of the first round, just to gain 3 extra late round picks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Drizzay said:

I'm just excited to go on the "Do we have a young franchise QB?" ride.  As a Vikings Fan, we've never really experienced it.  Sort of with Tommy Kramer and Daunte, but those picks didn't feel quite the same.  Ponder was a #12 pick, but EVERYONE knew as soon as he was drafted that he wasn't it.

Then to get Turner on top of that...it was a fun night.  It is such a stark contrast from the past when Spielman would have traded out of the first round, just to gain 3 extra late round picks.

definitely brings excitement to a team getting a new shiny qb.  At least until they flounder.  But if the opposite happens, lookout :banana:

15 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

That may be the worst pick I have ever seen in my entire life. There have been bad picks that did not turn out but this was the most wasteful ever. ,ZERO need for a qb. They could have got an Offensive tackle there or more firepower at WR and instead picked a QB that was likely to be there in the 2nd? What in the actual fock

Well no, Penix was not going to be there in the second, given that six freaking QBs were taken in the top half of the first.

Now why they did that with cousins, I don’t know. Could be his injury or they view him as a stopgap. Then you wonder why they shoveled so much money at him but hell, the cap is a joke right now. Probably the pats should’ve gone after cousins too rather than being cheap with brisset, because turns out there was nobody to sign even with all that cap space :dunno:

1 minute ago, IGotWorms said:

Well no, Penix was not going to be there in the second, given that six freaking QBs were taken in the top half of the first.

Now why they did that with cousins, I don’t know. Could be his injury or they view him as a stopgap. Then you wonder why they shoveled so much money at him but hell, the cap is a joke right now. Probably the pats should’ve gone after cousins too rather than being cheap with brisset, because turns out there was nobody to sign even with all that cap space :dunno:

It worked with Mahomes learning behind Alex Smith for a year :dunno:

People comparing taking Penix to GB taking Love.  Its hilarious.   Anything to rationalize it.  

Crazy pick.  

9 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

People comparing taking Penix to GB taking Love.  Its hilarious.   Anything to rationalize it.  

Crazy pick.  

In 2017 Mitch Trubisky went #2 overall, and there was debate over whether the second one taken should be Mahomes or Watson.  

2018 was worse, with Baker #1, Darnold #3, Rosen #10, and then Lamar #32

2019 Kyler #1, Daniel Jones #6, and Haskins #15.

My point in all of this is that most of those guys suck.  So it seems there are a lot of talented college QBs that simply don't succeed in the NFL.  And I can't imagine there is a science that says a guy like Mahomes is different than the rest of them.  I think a lot of teams are hoping these QBs they are taking are going to pan out, but the reality seems to be that they won't.

The reality appears that out of 10 QBs that go, one might be elite, two to three might end up playing above average of 32 starting QBs, and the remaining five or six will probably blow.  

So of Williams, Daniels, Maye, Penix, McCarthy, and Nix, I would guess that maybe none of them end up reaching stud status, a couple end up perennially taking their team to the playoffs, and probably three or four of these guys end up busts.  But I'm not taking any bets on who ends up being who, because the scouts and experts often don't get it right.

29 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Now they have two injury prone QBs and their rookie isn't even that young.

22 hours ago, Ron_Artest said:

I may or may not know someone. :ninja:

Lol. Clown. 

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

Do the Bears have the best offense on paper right now?

doesn't their line blow?

Just now, cmh6476 said:

doesn't their line blow?

No.  They improved throughout the year.  I would consider them to have an average line right now.

Down south they like to Fock their Cousins. Never thought I’d see it on TV though. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Down south they like to Fock their Cousins. Never thought I’d see it on TV though. 

😂 That's pretty good

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Nope, because the have a rookie at quarterback.  Rookie quarterbacks do tghings like when elway tried to take the centgersnap from a guard or when Sanchez butt fumbled.  They lock in on recievers leading to intgerceptions, and they habitually run out of the back of the pocket leading to sacks for mssive yardage loss and lotgs of strip sacks.  Are they set to see a big jump in the second year, certainly.

5 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

doesn't their line blow?

No.  They improved throughout the year.  I would consider them to have an average line right now.

I believe they actually have a fairly decent line. Not that the bar is very high for offensive lines right now

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

The Bears and offense dont mix

1 minute ago, Engorgeous George said:

Nope, because the have a rookie at quarterback.  Rookie quarterbacks do tghings like when elway tried to take the centgersnap from a guard or when Sanchez butt fumbled.  They lock in on recievers leading to intgerceptions, and they habitually run out of the back of the pocket leading to sacks for mssive yardage loss and lotgs of strip sacks.  Are they set to see a big jump in the second year, certainly.

That's why I said "on paper."  Right now they look to be the best.  My only concern for the offense is the coaching right now.

2 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

I believe they actually have a fairly decent line. Not that the bar is very high for offensive lines right now

Chiefs interior is top notch.  Hoping they address tackle later today and they find a second round gem.

Just now, Engorgeous George said:

Packers did what the Packers do which is to defy the predictions of the experts, again.  

Tackle was always in play.  I saw Morgan mocked to thr Packers some but it was usually with their pick at 41.  Im a little surprised but not much.  

2 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

The Bears and offense dont mix

That's why I said "on paper."  The Bears usually find a way to fock it up.

8 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

They do.   Big reason the Lions needed a good CB--and badly.   Lots of flyers in the division.  Not sure yet how JJ will do in Minnesota, but he sure has the team around him to succeed.

I figure this coming year will be the last one for the Lions to win the division.  But never know

26 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

In 2017 Mitch Trubisky went #2 overall, and there was debate over whether the second one taken should be Mahomes or Watson.  

2018 was worse, with Baker #1, Darnold #3, Rosen #10, and then Lamar #32

2019 Kyler #1, Daniel Jones #6, and Haskins #15.

My point in all of this is that most of those guys suck.  So it seems there are a lot of talented college QBs that simply don't succeed in the NFL.  And I can't imagine there is a science that says a guy like Mahomes is different than the rest of them.  I think a lot of teams are hoping these QBs they are taking are going to pan out, but the reality seems to be that they won't.

The reality appears that out of 10 QBs that go, one might be elite, two to three might end up playing above average of 32 starting QBs, and the remaining five or six will probably blow.  

So of Williams, Daniels, Maye, Penix, McCarthy, and Nix, I would guess that maybe none of them end up reaching stud status, a couple end up perennially taking their team to the playoffs, and probably three or four of these guys end up busts.  But I'm not taking any bets on who ends up being who, because the scouts and experts often don't get it right.

Im trying to understand what this has to do with me saying people comparing thr Penix pick to the Love pick are reaching?

Just now, supermike80 said:

They do.   Big reason the Lions needed a good CB--and badly.   Lots of flyers in the division.  Not sure yet how JJ will do in Minnesota, but he sure has the team around him to succeed.

I figure this coming year will be the last one for the Lions to win the division.  But never know

The NFC North is starting to look like a top 2 division.

I feel like the NFC got better last night, especially Chicago, Minnesota and Washington. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I feel like the NFC got better last night, especially Chicago, Minnesota and Washington. 

But not Atlanta?

1 minute ago, listen2me 23 said:

Im trying to understand what this has to do with me saying people comparing thr Penix pick to the Love pick are reaching?

this wasn't targeted at you, even though I quoted you.  I'm just saying sometimes these teams find success that contradicts what everyone else was saying going into the draft, and the day of is hard to make an assessment whether each team's strategy works or not.  I have no idea about the players the Chiefs pick year after year, but I start supporting them right away and hope they end up being good.

The NFC North is starting to look like a top 2 division.

I can't help but think the Broncos, Raiders and Chargers are all regressing from last season. Maybe the Raiders are trending up.  I could see the Donks getting the first overall pick next year.

Chicago could not help but to come out of day one looking good given two choices in the top ten, nor could Minnesota with two choices.  Tonight is Green Bay's opportunity to shine with four choices.

1 minute ago, Engorgeous George said:

But not Atlanta?

No. They got better with Cousins, but not last night. Dallas Turner would have been a homerun for them. 

Just now, Engorgeous George said:

Chicago could not help but to come out of day one looking good given two choices in the top ten, notr could Minnesota with two choices.  Tonight is Green bays opportunity to shine with four choices.

They could've gone with a different QB at 1 and then taking an odd pick at 9 or trading down.  I would not have been surprised by it either, most years.  Poles seems to know what he's doing though.

4 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Oh they definitely did.  So now for me, I think it will come down to coaching.

I think Minnesota has a great coach, not so sure about Da Bearz.   

The Vikings scare me.

Skins nabbed the best QB in the draft.  They got better.  

23 hours ago, Ron_Artest said:

guaranteed lock

Guaranteed lie. Fockin loser. 💥💯🤣

1 hour ago, kilroy69 said:

That may be the worst pick I have ever seen in my entire life. There have been bad picks that did not turn out but this was the most wasteful ever. ,ZERO need for a qb. They could have got an Offensive tackle there or more firepower at WR and instead picked a QB that was likely to be there in the 2nd? What in the actual fock

Penix will also be 24 in a couple of weeks. He’ll be at least 26 when he’s free to start and nearly 30 when his rookie deal expires. :doh:

I don’t hate taking another QB but that was a major reach. ATL was actually having a real good off-season too.

1 hour ago, kilroy69 said:

That dude is a freaking beast. I wanted him to fall to the lions sooooo bad. I kept thinking watching all the non DB's come off the board and was getting excited at the prospect of him or dejean. 

You wanted Mitchell more than Arnold?

QM’s measurable are exciting but the lack of top flight competition at Toledo is a small concern.

Who will be the Raiders starting quarterback?

Aidan O'Connell or Gardner Minshew

11 minutes ago, MDC said:

Penix will also be 24 in a couple of weeks. He’ll be at least 26 when he’s free to start and nearly 30 when his rookie deal expires. :doh:

I don’t hate taking another QB but that was a major reach. ATL was actually having a real good off-season too.

Cousin's fourth snap this year could be like Rodger's fourth snap last year.  Penix may see the field quite soon.  Still, if the Falcons wanted Penix I don't know how they did not engineer a trade down of at least a few slots, but maybe their was no grading partner to be had.

2 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

Cousin's fourth snap this year could be like rodger's fourth snap last year.  Penix may see the field quite soon.  Still, if the Falcons wanted Penix I don't know how they did not engineer a trade down of at least a few slots, but maybe their was no grading partner to be had.

This is the same team that has gone RB, WR and TE in the Top 10 the last 3 years. They just don’t know wtf they’re doing.