Sign in to follow this  
frank

I can’t dance. Yet another Genesis thread. Well, it would be if you dorks started any Genesis threads.

One not word: 

SuSuSoodio.

You don't come back from that. 

Related: Doesn't take much googling to see the amount of animosity from other artists and the members themselves. 

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

• Thanks 1

Saw them on their "The Last Domino?" concert tour...  It was a shame that Phil couldn't play the drums, but it was still a good concert...

There are only three artists who have sold 100 million records as part of a group and as a solo act.  Phil is one of them. 

2 hours ago, jonmx said:

There are only three artists who have sold 100 million records as part of a group and as a solo act.  Phil is one of them. 

I’ll bite. Who are the other 2 ?

28 minutes ago, TommyGavin said:

I’ll bite. Who are the other 2 ?

MaCartney and Jackson. 

One of my favorite genesis songs, actually done best live during that period they had Ray Wilson as the frontman:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonmx said:

MaCartney and Jackson. 

I was guessing John and Paul. 

Do you like phil collins? Been a big genesis fan, ever since the release of their 1980 album, duke. Before that i didnt really understand any of their work, it was too artsy, too intellectual...it was on duke where uh, phil collins presence became more apparent...i think invisible touch is the group's undisputed masterpiece, its an epic meditation on intangibility at the same time it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding 3 albums...christy, take off the robe... listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of banks, collins and rutherford you can practically hear every nuonce of every instrument, sabrina...remove your dress, in terms of lyrical craftsmenship and sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism, sabrina why dont you uh, dance a little! take the lyrics to "Land of Confusion", in this song, phil collins adresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980's, about monogomy and commitment, the song is extremely uplifting...their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as uh, anything ive heard in rock...christy, get down on your knees so sabrina can see your ass....phil collins solo career, it seems to be more commercial...and therefore more satisfying in a narrower way. especially songs like, in the air tonight and against all odds...sabrina dont just stare at it, eat it! I also think, phil collins works best within the confines of the group than as a solo artist, and i stress the word artist! This is sussudio, great, great song...personal favorite.

Maybe I'm Misunderstanding the point of this thread. Which is easy to do when your living in a Land of Confusion. But before I dig In Too Deep, I'm going to reach out to my Mama because she has a way of keeping me from Taking It All Too Hard. If I get No Reply At All, I might consider Throwing It All Away. 

• Thanks 1

I put Sususoodio in the same dumpster as that annoying Umbrella Ella Ella song. 

Makes me 😡

They went down hill when PG left.

They never dressed up like a piece of broccoli to sing a song again.

Focking prog band, they all suck caulk 

18 minutes ago, kutulu said:

Focking prog band, they all suck caulk 

They weren’t though, not once Peter Gabriel left anyway.

And what about Radiohead? Pink Floyd? Rush? There are/were some damn good prog bands out there

28 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

They weren’t though, not once Peter Gabriel left anyway.

And what about Radiohead? Pink Floyd? Rush? There are/were some damn good prog bands out there