Sign in to follow this  
Maximum Overkill

Draft Grades For Your Team

I'll start:

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES: A+

Mitchell — Philadelphia fortifies its 28th-ranked coverage unit with arguably the most talented cornerback in this class. Mitchell led all FBS cornerbacks in PFF overall grade in each of the past two seasons. His outstanding athleticism and ability to make plays in off-coverage make him a perfect fit in Vic Fangio’s defense.

DeJean — The Eagles add two top-10 players on the PFF big board in the first two rounds of this draft, both at the cornerback position. DeJean projects as a movable piece in Vic Fangio’s defense who could theoretically end up outside, in the slot or at safety. He’s been extremely productive in the Iowa secondary, allowing just a 45.0 passer rating into his coverage over the past two seasons.

Hunt — A small-school player, Hunt dominated the lower levels, racking up 78 pressures, 14 hits and 14 sacks since 2022. He has athleticism, explosiveness and power that many edge rushers in this class don’t possess. He needs development to win at the next level, but his traits give him a great chance at reaching his potential.

Shipley — Shipley is one of the better athletes among running backs in this draft class, with a 99th-percentile PFF Game Athleticism Score. He was solid with the ball in his hands, too, and he earned a PFF grade above 70.0 in each of the past three seasons.

Smith — Smith proved a dangerous receiver after the catch at Texas A&M, as he forced 20 missed tackles after the catch in 2023 (seventh among all WRs). On 102 combined targets the past two seasons, he dropped just two passes.

Trotter — Sure to be one of the big stories of the day due to him heading to the same place where his father enjoyed an outstanding career, Trotter ranked fourth among all linebackers the past two seasons with a 91.3 overall grade. He also ranked fourth nationally in that time with a 92.1 coverage grade.

Keegan — Supplementing the interior is a sound approach here for the Eagles, who needed to fill some voids. Keegan didn’t allow a sack in 2023 and earned a career-high pass-blocking grade (80.7). He played eight games without allowing a single quarterback pressure.

Wilson — The massive receiver out of Florida State finally comes off the board in the sixth round. At 6-foot-6 and 231 pounds, Wilson ran an impressive 4.52-second 40-yard dash. While not a super-developed route runner, there is certainly a role at the next level for a vertical threat who converted 21 contested catches over the past two seasons.

McMahon — A depth pick at this point in the draft, McMahon allowed just one sack and 12 total pressures from 361 pass-blocking snaps in 2023. He put up career highs in overall grade (69.7) and pass-blocking grade (71.3) last season

I don't know who they think is gonna play RB...

Dallas Cowboys: B-

Guyton — Dallas selects the former defensive end Guyton out of Oklahoma to reinforce their offensive line. He’s the 39th-ranked player on the PFF big board and is considered something of a project with outstanding athletic ability. He didn’t allow a sack in 355 pass-blocking reps this season, but he only earned a 59.0 PFF true pass-blocking grade.

Kneeland — The Cowboys recover some defensive line depth that they lost in free agency, as they pick up Western Michigan‘s Marshawn Kneeland. He is a natural run defender who improved as a pass-rusher as his career progressed. Over the past two seasons, he posted an 88.0 PFF run-defense grade, which is the best among FBS edge defenders who played at least 300 run-defense snaps in that span.

Beebe — The Cowboys continue to address their offensive line and grab one of the best offensive linemen in college football over the past two seasons. Beebe’s 91.8 pass-blocking grade since 2021 ranks first among all FBS guards in that span, and he allowed just two sacks from 1,206 pass-blocking snaps over that time. The question is where he plays in the NFL, with a move to center a possibility.

Liufau — Liufau plays with a competitiveness and violence that lends itself to some tackling inconsistencies. He is also a bit of a slower processor, but when able to read and trigger, he can make splash plays — as evidenced by his 35 defensive stops between the run and pass games over the past two seasons. He projects as a core special teamer with the upside to be a rotational linebacker.

Carson — Like many who play under head coach Dave Clawson, Carson is a physical prospect. He earned an impressive 83.4 run-defense grade in 2023, ranking 33rd among FBS cornerbacks. Carson will fit in well in a cornerback room stacked with playmakers such as DaRon Bland and Trevon Diggs, having forced five incompletions from single coverage in 2023. The Cowboys get a projected two-round steal by selecting the Wake Forest product.

Flournoy — Flournoy offers solid production, averaging 2.67 yards per route run over the past two seasons. His best attribute is his hands, as he dropped just 3.2% of the catchable passes thrown his way since 2022.

Thomas — When you turn on Nathan Thomas’ tape, expect a mauler in the run game. Although he struggled in pass protection in each of the past two seasons, Thomas shows off his athleticism on run concepts. His 76.1 PFF run-blocking grade in 2023 ranked 18th among FBS offensive tackles.

Rogers — Rogers was better in 2022, when he earned a 70.9 PFF grade. He was better against the run than as a pass rusher this past season, recording a 65.3 PFF run-defense grade.

A+++++

Not filling every hole but feels like they are hitting with the options they have at positions of need. 

• Haha 1

The lions draft was not sexy at all but they got what they needed and ended up with the top 2 picks on their board if you believe holmes. They still need an edge rusher which is probably going to have to come via  trade. Maybe the bengels pissed off DE

No. 24 (via Cowboys): Terrion Arnold, CB, Alabama

No. 61: Ennis Rakestraw Jr., CB, Missouri

No. 126 (via Jets): Giovanni Manu, OT, University of British Columbia

No. 132 (via Eagles): Sione Vaki, S/RB, Utah

No. 189 (via Texans): Mekhi Wingo, DT, LSU

No. 210 (via Eagles): Christian Mahogany, OG, Boston College

2 hours ago, polecatt said:

don't know who they think is gonna play RB.

While it was boring, I think Dallas had a smart, solid draft. They got exactly what they needed. I did think they'd grab one of those RBs late though. 

10 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

While it was boring, I think Dallas had a smart, solid draft. They got exactly what they needed. I did think they'd grab one of those RBs late though. 

The top RB on the depth chart is Rico Dowdle who has 89 carries for 361 yds in 3 seasons. They're supposedly trying to sign Zeke again, but he's washed up.

It reminds me of a few seasons ago when they did this with the WRs and about 6 games in it was so bad they traded for Amari Cooper. They did a great job patching up the OL and finding some prospects on D but they still need to find a decent RB somehow.

Patriots: B

Love the Maye pick of course.

Happy with the o-lineman choices. They’ve got the attitude and measurable to succeed - now it’s up to coaching.

Not sure about the receivers, could be a hit or miss scenario there. I do like their attitudes

RD (PK)POS

Saints: A+

I have no idea who most of these guys are. The only player I've heard of more than two weeks ago is Spencer Rattler.

1 hour ago, IGotWorms said:

Not sure about the receivers

I think Javon Baker is a steal. He's a stud. 

I watched a couple of Javon Baker games on YouTube, and he seemed to be a crappy route runner who dropped a lot of passes.  

I wonder why people think he's so good.

2 hours ago, nobody said:

I watched a couple of Javon Baker games on YouTube, and he seemed to be a crappy route runner who dropped a lot of passes.  

I wonder why people think he's so good.

Because his metrics are off the chart. He was in a horrible situation in college. Pair him with an accurate CB and he's gonna be special. 

Chargers obviously got an A+. Top OT, 3rd Best WR, and 3rd Best RB, and Jerry Rice's son.

16 hours ago, LaChup said:

Chargers obviously got an A+. Top OT, 3rd Best WR, and 3rd Best RB, and Jerry Rice's son.

I dont know that I'd rank the Chargers draft that high.

Maybe an A- or B + (I'd put them on the cusp)

A+ is pushing it a bit in my opinion.    the draft I felt was good, but not Stellar.

in the end we wont know for a couple of years.   

Watching college football is like watching paint dry, so I really don't know who the players are that the Bucs drafted, but for the most part they filled areas of need with players at expected values, so I'd give them a B.

5 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Watching college football is like watching paint dry, so I really don't know who the players are that the Bucs drafted, but for the most part they filled areas of need with players at expected values, so I'd give them a B.

well, I noted pretty much the same when they drafted an O lineman.   it is an area of need, so I figured it was a decent move.

8 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

well, I noted pretty much the same when they drafted an O lineman.   it is an area of need, so I figured it was a decent move.

Yeah, no qualms with the Duke kid, but I do think they should've taken another iOL earlier than round 6.  I don't think that an RB and/or WR was needed in R3&R4.  Had they gone iOL with the first 2 picks, then EDGE rusher followed by a DB then either a RB or WR (preferably a RB), I'd have given them an 'A'.

Then again, Jason Licht's inadequacies in R1 almost assures he picks a bust.  Though, when they're not a bust, they're studs (Evans, Vea, & Wirfs).

30 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Yeah, no qualms with the Duke kid, but I do think they should've taken another iOL earlier than round 6.  I don't think that an RB and/or WR was needed in R3&R4.  Had they gone iOL with the first 2 picks, then EDGE rusher followed by a DB then either a RB or WR (preferably a RB), I'd have given them an 'A'.

Then again, Jason Licht's inadequacies in R1 almost assures he picks a bust.  Though, when they're not a bust, they're studs (Evans, Vea, & Wirfs).

yeah, I hear you.

I think if developing as many O linemen as that you may need to hire an extra assistant to make sure you give them enough one on one coaching so they develop properly the way they need to.    Though that should be an area where teams should not be afraid to spend.   it doesnt affect the cap.

either way, obvioulsy someone felt they needed the depth elsewhere.   but getting an OL in the first round I felt was the right move.   Its not the kind of move that gets people excited, but its the kind of move where if he performs as he should, it will make everyone on the offense perform a little better.

3 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

yeah, I hear you.

I think if developing as many O linemen as that you may need to hire an extra assistant to make sure you give them enough one on one coaching so they develop properly the way they need to.    Though that should be an area where teams should not be afraid to spend.   it doesnt affect the cap.

either way, obvioulsy someone felt they needed the depth elsewhere.   but getting an OL in the first round I felt was the right move.   Its not the kind of move that gets people excited, but its the kind of move where if he performs as he should, it will make everyone on the offense perform a little better.

Agreed.

They legitimately needed 3 iOL's, a new RG, LG, and C... they only got 1.  If they want to let Mauch continue on at RG, to see if improves at RG, that's fine.  I think he was too bad to be relied upon, but still, giving him a 2nd year is reasonable.  But they needed to replace the Center and LG... both sucked, and they replaced only 1 in the draft and they didn't replace the other as of yet.  We'll see what their plan is in the next phase of free agency.

No, drafting OL is not exciting, but it's promising when you need them.  Like I said, they needed more than 1 and only drafted 1.  It's disappointing.  It's why I gave them a 'B'.  They addressed needs, I just think they didn't use their assets well.  I don't see why they felt a need to draft a WR4 in the 3rd round.

3 hours ago, Ray_T said:

A+ is pushing it a bit in my opinion.    the draft I felt was good, but not Stellar.

They should of drafted Nabers then O-line. 

They could of easily traded back up for a top Offensive Lineman 

9 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Agreed.

They legitimately needed 3 iOL's, a new RG, LG, and C... they only got 1.  If they want to let Mauch continue on at RG, to see if improves at RG, that's fine.  I think he was too bad to be relied upon, but still, giving him a 2nd year is reasonable.  But they needed to replace the Center and LG... both sucked, and they replaced only 1 in the draft and they didn't replace the other as of yet.  We'll see what their plan is in the next phase of free agency.

No, drafting OL is not exciting, but it's promising when you need them.  Like I said, they needed more than 1 and only drafted 1.  It's disappointing.  It's why I gave them a 'B'.  They addressed needs, I just think they didn't use their assets well.  I don't see why they felt a need to draft a WR4 in the 3rd round.

with luck maybe they sign someone or possibly they have an undrafted priority signing they want to get in there.

Granted these types usually wont start for you until a year or two down the road (maybe longer) so It would have been nice to get another one in there.   Thing about guards is you dont usually need to burn a first round pick to fill that position.  usually you can use a 2nd or 3rd rounder to get a player.

either way, not my problem I guess but I understand where you are coming from

Just now, Maximum Overkill said:

yeah, that was kind of my thought as well.   They did end up getting a WR I like so I'm not that upset but I still think they could have done better.    Thats why I'm not giving an A or A+.  That would imply a steller performance.   I cant give that rating if I only felt it was good to above average.

2 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

yeah, that was kind of my thought as well.   They did end up getting a WR I like so I'm not that upset but I still think they could have done better.    Thats why I'm not giving an A or A+.  That would imply a steller performance.   I cant give that rating if I only felt it was good to above average.

They did get a great o-line man so I'd say a solid B. 

Nabers and Herbert would of been special. I think they'll regret not drafting him. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

with luck maybe they sign someone or possibly they have an undrafted priority signing they want to get in there.

Granted these types usually wont start for you until a year or two down the road (maybe longer) so It would have been nice to get another one in there.   Thing about guards is you dont usually need to burn a first round pick to fill that position.  usually you can use a 2nd or 3rd rounder to get a player.

either way, not my problem I guess but I understand where you are coming from

That's what I was hoping for.  Looks like their plan is to put the Duke kid at Center.  Fine, I have no issue with that.  My issue is the 2nd through 4th rounds.  I'm ok with a edge rusher and DB, I just don't see where the need was for a WR.  They could've drafted he Guard in R2, the Edge in R3.

3 hours ago, Ray_T said:

26 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

I see where @LaChup is coming from.  There were what, 10 offensive linemen taken between #1 and #35?  After the Chargers pick, there were 5 LT's taken in R1.  They took a WR at 35... then next offensive lineman (who is labeled a tackle), was taken 20 picks later... and the 4 taken from that point on, aren't very promising.  Nabers + longshot LT is NOT better than #1 LT + top 5 WR.

PFF had Slater (Chargers 2023 LT), as the 14th best LT in the league.  I've seen where some expect Alt to be the RT... I'm not so sure.  If Slater was top 7, even 10, maybe.  But he wasn't.  I think that the Chargers give Alt a chance at LT and move Slater to RT.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

PFF had Slater (Chargers 2023 LT), as the 14th best LT in the league.  I've seen where some expect Alt to be the RT... I'm not so sure.  If Slater was top 7, even 10, maybe.  But he wasn't.  I think that the Chargers give Alt a chance at LT and move Slater to RT.

sometimes a first rounder expected to be the long term LT wont start there in his rookie year.

I've often seen them play guard or RT in the rookie year (sometimes both) and then move to LT in year 2.    I'm not overly concerned about this.  in some respects it might be better if he starts in a different position for his first year. (less pressure)

either way, thats their problem to fix.  not ours haha so I guess we will see what they do here.

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I see where @LaChup is coming from.  There were what, 10 offensive linemen taken between #1 and #35?  After the Chargers pick, there were 5 LT's taken in R1.  They took a WR at 35... then next offensive lineman (who is labeled a tackle), was taken 20 picks later... and the 4 taken from that point on, aren't very promising.  Nabers + longshot LT is NOT better than #1 LT + top 5 WR.

another thing to consider is they could have taken both Nabers and McConkey and traded back up to take an OT or taken a top guard in round 2.  then grab that LT in the first round next year.

Chargers line needed help but it wasnt on fire.  so this was a legit option.  (though maybe not as realistic, but they needed 2 WR not just one)

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

another thing to consider is they could have taken both Nabers and McConkey and traded back up to take an OT or taken a top guard in round 2.  then grab that LT in the first round next year.

Chargers line needed help but it wasnt on fire.  so this was a legit option.  (though maybe not as realistic, but they needed 2 WR not just one)

They still don't have a WR1. They could of been stacked 

Chargers will be going into this season with so much doubt at their wr slot.  Herbert will be over valued.  

13 hours ago, Ray_T said:

sometimes a first rounder expected to be the long term LT wont start there in his rookie year.

I've often seen them play guard or RT in the rookie year (sometimes both) and then move to LT in year 2.    I'm not overly concerned about this.  in some respects it might be better if he starts in a different position for his first year. (less pressure)

either way, thats their problem to fix.  not ours haha so I guess we will see what they do here.

Tampa did that with Wirfs and it's working out great.  When you spend $200M+ on your QB, you better make sure he can play. 

I don't know that they were on fire, but I've seen a few outlets having the Chargers OLine as rated extremely poorly.  Here's a couple...

https://www.playerprofiler.com/article/offensive-line-rankings-and-tiers-end-of-nfl-season-review-2024-offensive-line-outlook/

https://www.si.com/nfl/chargers/news/chargers-news-bolts-offensive-line-grades-reveal-unit-is-struggling-rks97

13 hours ago, Ray_T said:

Yes, they could have, but judging by what transpired in the draft, they'd have to move up a LOT to get a guy that high in the 2nd.   It probably would've cost them their 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounder to do that.  All 3 better be studs if they leave that draft with 3 top 40 picks and 3 bottom 40 picks.

I do agree they should've drafted another WR and they could've done that with a bunch of guys in the 3rd or 4th round.  The one thing I can assure you on though is that Harbaugh's #1 priority in Stanford, San Fran, Michigan, and now LA, has been the offensive line.

3 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

The one thing I can assure you on though is that Harbaugh's #1 priority in Stanford, San Fran, Michigan, and now LA, has been the offensive line.

yeah, thats sort of been his calling card.    Not a bad thing.   they got one of the finest young QB in the nfl.  they should protect him so he doesnt get hurt

3 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

yeah, thats sort of been his calling card.    Not a bad thing.   they got one of the finest young QB in the nfl.  they should protect him so he doesnt get hurt

Like everything else, it's either going to work or not, right?  I'm just on the side of, I think they chose the right direction.  We'll see.

21 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Like everything else, it's either going to work or not, right?  I'm just on the side of, I think they chose the right direction.  We'll see.

I am a big believer that you win and lose games on the line.     it literally affects everything in your game.

your QB is more efficient if there isnt a defender in his face on every play.    Your RB has bigger holes to run through.     and if your D line is dominating, the other team has no time to throw the ball, and no holes to run through.

basically the line makes your skill players better.

and if you have a QB that can run it makes it harder for a defender because if you beat your man, you still cant catch the QB.

but a lot of GMs are thinking they can have a running qb and not worry about the line.    90% of the time, this is wrong.   you still need an elite QB to be able to make moves and process and get rid of the ball quickly.   and you dont need to be able to run to do it. (see manning and Brady who had a quick release and process the game super quickly)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

I am a big believer that you win and lose games on the line.     it literally affects everything in your game.

your QB is more efficient if there isnt a defender in his face on every play.    Your RB has bigger holes to run through.     and if your D line is dominating, the other team has no time to throw the ball, and no holes to run through.

basically the line makes your skill players better.

and if you have a QB that can run it makes it harder for a defender because if you beat your man, you still cant catch the QB.

but a lot of GMs are thinking they can have a running qb and not worry about the line.    90% of the time, this is wrong.   you still need an elite QB to be able to make moves and process and get rid of the ball quickly.   and you dont need to be able to run to do it. (see manning and Brady who had a quick release and process the game super quickly)

Agree completely.

20 hours ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Again. There were 2 players that were considered generational talents. One was Marvin Harrison Jr and the other was Joe Alt. If you are building your team and like to run the ball that generational OT is a set and forget player.  A new WR crop emerges every single year

Chargers should have gone wr no question about it.  

37 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

Again. There were 2 players that were considered generational talents. One was Marvin Harrison Jr and the other was Joe Alt. If you are building your team and like to run the ball that generational OT is a set and forget player.  A new WR crop emerges every single year

I get it.   Like I said, I was not upset about getting a franchise LT.   Not upset at all.    The draft turned out fine.    but the Line was not on fire.

I felt the WR position was on fire and there was a greater need here.   I feel not enough was done to address this.     one good rookie is a start.  but I dont know that its enough.

maybe I'm splitting hairs here, but to me thats enough to not give an A+.      I still think they did well.  and better than most at the draft table.   not disappointed at all.

my own thought is maybe they should have kept one of the good WR they let go for at least one more year if they were only gonna take one starting calibre WR.

1 hour ago, kilroy69 said:

Who considered Joe Alt a Generational Talent?

1 hour ago, kilroy69 said:

There were 2 players that were considered generational talents. One was Marvin Harrison Jr and the other was Joe Alt.

I never heard anyone mention Alt as a generational talent, a great prospect yes. I think he'll be an amazing lineman for years. But they still don't have weapons for Herbert, no #1 WR. Don't give me McConkey and his 30 catches last season. He's a total unknown. 

You forgot Bowers, he's generational. 

30 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Who considered Joe Alt a Generational Talent?

I dont know if he was a generational talent, but he was considered by many to be the best OT in the draft.  is that not enough?