Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

**Golf Talk** thread

I have 1 random Callaway blue ball i found around the course practice area.

Imagine the great marketing slogans for Callaway blue balls.

83 on Saturday, 91 on Sunday with 3 shanks. Fock you golf

He was unreal around the greens, he hit it right down the middle every shot too. just swung like a girl with a shoulder injury

you have to have a handicap to play at my course in any tournament

So yours is downs right?

So yours is downs right?

I think 1/2 a point since last year. Not enough

I carry a D, 3w, 3H, 4-PW, 52,56,60

Getting rid of the 4i, debating a 4H or a 7w

Have confidence with the 5i that I dont with the 4, just debating how to solve the gap

Getting rid of the 4i, debating a 4H or a 7w

Have confidence with the 5i that I dont with the 4, just debating how to solve the gap

What are the lofts on your 3H and 5i?

My 3H is 19*, 4H is 21* and my 5i is 24* - so it works out for me.

What are the lofts on your 3H and 5i?

My 3H is 19*, 4H is 21* and my 5i is 24* - so it works out for me.

I need to get a new shaft in my 3H, stock stiff ping G shaft is a little heavy and a little spinny for me. Believe it is 19. 4i 23, 5i 26 so theyd gap fine. But Im also comfortable choking up a little a taking 10 yards off it. So debating whether its worth it

I need to get a new shaft in my 3H, stock stiff ping G shaft is a little heavy and a little spinny for me. Believe it is 19. 4i 23, 5i 26 so theyd gap fine. But Im also comfortable choking up a little a taking 10 yards off it. So debating whether its worth it

I'm a big proponent of hybrids.. I don't know why anyone not scratch would even consider still playing a 4i.

10 balls with each - you will hit the hybrid more solidly (and higher) 6 times compared to 3.

I'm a big proponent of hybrids.. I don't know why anyone not scratch would even consider still playing a 4i.

10 balls with each - you will hit the hybrid more solidly (and higher) 6 times compared to 3.

Full disclosure: I am not very good at golf, don't have an established handicap but would fall into that "bogey golfer" category that many people like to put themselves in. I will shoot between 88-92 probably 3/4s of the time I play it seems like.

I am more confident with my 4 iron than I am with any other club in my bag. I have a three and four hybrid (that I don't know the loft on) and I hit them high-right 80% of the time.

Full disclosure: I am not very good at golf, don't have an established handicap but would fall into that "bogey golfer" category that many people like to put themselves in. I will shoot between 88-92 probably 3/4s of the time I play it seems like.

I am more confident with my 4 iron than I am with any other club in my bag. I have a three and four hybrid (that I don't know the loft on) and I hit them high-right 80% of the time.

This is not totally uncommon with tall players... I've a buddy here who's 6'4" - can't hit a hybrid to save his life.

But I generally hate all tall people so... :D

• Like 1

my hybrid miss is a balloony fade... Its like a razors edge of penetrating ball flight vs the balloon..

• Like 1

My iron set has the hybrid replacement for the 4i and 5i. I don't have them as dialed in in terms of an exact yardage I can hit them, and I'm not quite as straight with them....but the forgiveness and high ball flight makes them a smarter play than a standard 4 or 5 iron considering what I'm usually looking to accomplish with those clubs in hand.

This is not totally uncommon with tall players... I've a buddy here who's 6'4" - can't hit a hybrid to save his life.

But I generally hate all tall people so... :D

6' 2"....6'8" with the afro.

• Like 1

golfballs dot com has the buy 3 dozen get one free deal going on... Ordered 4 cases of Z Star XV... never hit them before, heard they are pretty good. I still have a couple gifted cases of ProV's ill use if the XV's suck...

golfballs dot com has the buy 3 dozen get one free deal going on... Ordered 4 cases of Z Star XV... never hit them before, heard they are pretty good. I still have a couple gifted cases of ProV's ill use if the XV's suck...

You will love them... Way more durable than the Pro V's - and every bit as long (if not longer) than the Pro V's as well... Best part is, they don't look old and dingy after 3 holes of use.

PGA Superstore here had a crazy special the other day: Srixon Z-Star and XV's for $20 a doz - limit 6.. I bought 6.

Thats a good deal, I paid 120 for 4 cases

Dont play stock hybrids. The shafts are usually way too long to fit most peoples gapping. Put steel shafts in for better consistancy. I play 120g steel shafts in my irons and 105g steel in hybrids and play them the length of the iron they replace.

did you get a line?

This is the exact hybrid I play, have both the 3 and 4.. I've had them for a few years - but I've no need to really change, they're still fantastic.

The best part are the UST Mamiya VTS Proforce shafts (75g, Stiff).. They might be the best shafts I've ever played.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ADAMS-IDEA-A12-19-DEGREE-3-HYBRID-STIFF-FLEX-GRAPHITE-0658084/382433179356?hash=item590acb36dc:g:mUkAAOSwPI1azM9T

did you get a line?

went for the monogram. I don't use alignments on balls anyways.

went for the monogram. I don't use alignments on balls anyways.

I do, it's a must for me

I've abandoned the ZStars.

I got into the habit over the years of hitting the low spinner that checks up, but now I'm trying to get back to getting the ball on the ground a bit quicker and letting it release to the hole. It's more consistent. As I've made that change, the ZStar wasn't reacting the way I expected it to on that first hop. Also, I never truly got comfortable with how soft the ball felt off the putter face.

Now I'm rolling with Chrome Soft. I think I'm married to it. The ball compresses and just flies. And around the green, it just does what I expect. I'm using the ones with the Truvis Technology (the squares that make it look like a soccer ball). I thought that part was just a silly gimmick at first, but I've found I like the way it makes it easy to see the balls rotation as putts roll out (helps on the 3 foot comebacker, etc).

Same setup

Dont play stock hybrids. The shafts are usually way too long to fit most peoples gapping. Put steel shafts in for better consistancy. I play 120g steel shafts in my irons and 105g steel in hybrids and play them the length of the iron they replace.

started out and used a steel shaft in my TP Dual Rescue 3h for years and years but I swapped it out for an Aldila NVS hybrid shaft. Kept my tight dispersion and added the yardage I was looking for to close the gap on my 3 wood. I don't worry about any gap between my 4 iron and 3hybrid because I generally find that I rarely need my 4 iron, let alone a 3 iron and if I do need to, I am confident choking down on the hybrid. That thing is so reliable and versatile. Also, in reality, I will never totally bridge the gap between my 3 wood and 3hybrid unless I swap out my 60* for my 5 wood. Again, it's another gap that rarely throws me off. I can either go for the green with my 3 wood or lay up to a fine yardage with my hybrid and if a hole doesn't fit my eye for a driver off the tee, I pull the hybrid and put the ball in play.

This is the exact hybrid I play, have both the 3 and 4.. I've had them for a few years - but I've no need to really change, they're still fantastic.

The best part are the UST Mamiya VTS Proforce shafts (75g, Stiff).. They might be the best shafts I've ever played.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ADAMS-IDEA-A12-19-DEGREE-3-HYBRID-STIFF-FLEX-GRAPHITE-0658084/382433179356?hash=item590acb36dc:g:mUkAAOSwPI1azM9T

classic, excellent hybrids.

• Like 2

I've abandoned the ZStars.

I got into the habit over the years of hitting the low spinner that checks up, but now I'm trying to get back to getting the ball on the ground a bit quicker and letting it release to the hole. It's more consistent. As I've made that change, the ZStar wasn't reacting the way I expected it to on that first hop. Also, I never truly got comfortable with how soft the ball felt off the putter face.

Now I'm rolling with Chrome Soft. I think I'm married to it. The ball compresses and just flies. And around the green, it just does what I expect. I'm using the ones with the Truvis Technology (the squares that make it look like a soccer ball). I thought that part was just a silly gimmick at first, but I've found I like the way it makes it easy to see the balls rotation as putts roll out (helps on the 3 foot comebacker, etc).

Found a Snell MTB last week. Great ball. I swear it's longer than the ProV1 with the same playability. Will play these in the future if I can find them.

I can't play the Trivius, too ugly, but

https://www.golfballnut.com/products/callaway-chromesofttruviswhitered?variant=44731705156&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwIX7i_f02gIVj8DICh06tgKxEAYYAiABEgKHMPD_BwE

Pro V1 guys..... (much testing has shown little difference over the years in terms of the newer models)

https://www.golfballnut.com/products/titleist-pro-v1-prior-generations?variant=5772763594790&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwIX7i_f02gIVj8DICh06tgKxEAYYAyABEgJXMPD_BwE

if you guys are looking to save money on perfectly good balls.

I'm not the guy who used to post the freebies (think that was swirve?) but if i come across any of those free sleeve Taylor Made promotions, thats the most recent one i got that I can think of, I'll make sure to post here.

I remember in middle school, when I played the Maxfli Revolution (great ball) and Maxfli was doing a questionaire on their website and a free sleeve or maybe even a 2 ball sleeve, it was easy to tell what to put to match up with the Revolution and I made about 20 fake e-mail addresses and had them shipped to different relatives for me to collect :lol:

Received my Srixon XV's... Funny i almost did priority ship as I wanted them for my game on friday. Ordered them late sunday night I think, and they showed up yesterday... A++++.... That website receives high marks.

• Like 1

This is a nice chart in terms of balls. Launch angle vs spin rate.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/spin-zone-hot-list-ball-spin-chart-shows-more-spin-at-lower-prices

Wow. Very telling that expensive balls spin much faster and allow greater control for those who can control. If you can't control, it appears a higher arching ball with medium spin is the best.

In other words, expensive balls are a waste for high handicappers.

Yes - for a lot of reasons.

Yes - for a lot of reasons.

Now you tell me :wall:

I just spent 120 on balls :cry:

Wow. Very telling that expensive balls spin much faster and allow greater control for those who can control. If you can't control, it appears a higher arching ball with medium spin is the best.

Shhhhhhh. I find tons of Pro V1's because of these people. :mad:

Now you tell me :wall:

I just spent 120 on balls :cry:

There are actually 2 benefits for playing expensive balls - for the high handicapper.

1. Feel........ You won't get the soft, green stopping performance out of a lower grade ball.. Those things are designed for distance and durability - feel like rocks.

2. Ego.......... A 32 handicapper can actually play the exact same ball Rory, Jordan, Tiger or any other of the huge names in golf play. There's a certain coolness to that I think.

Sorry edro, I should of prefaced - I never paid retail for golf balls... I either find them on sale, or most commonly, buy the previous year's model at a much discounted price... I'm a 3.2 and even I can't tell a noticeable difference between a 2018 Srixon and a 2016/17 version.

Don't know if I've disclosed this - I usually buy my Srixons at Walmart.

They usually carry the previous year's model for $32. :thumbsup:

Don't know if I've disclosed this - I usually buy my Srixons at Walmart.

They usually carry the previous year's model for $32. :thumbsup:

Is it Walmart or costco that have the Kirkland Signatures that are supposed the be the best ball for the $$$ around? Those things get great reviews on the forums

Is it Walmart or costco that have the Kirkland Signatures that are supposed the be the best ball for the $$$ around? Those things get great reviews on the forums

You know, I'm not sure.. I've never hit one before - but they do seem to get really good reviews.

They aren't a 'waste', overall they may be sub-optimal if you put alot of sidespin on the ball with your woods and irons, may be a net negative even with the short game gains.

At the end of the day if you put a bad swing on the ball, the ball, the club, the marketing hype isn't going to save it. If you are a high handicapper your game is the limiting factor, not the equipment

Costco. They tend to sell out quickly I hear. I've never played with them, but looking at the link I posted earlier, they seem to measure up. https://www.golfdigest.com/story/spin-zone-hot-list-ball-spin-chart-shows-more-spin-at-lower-prices