Sign in to follow this  
stonewall

Fournette and McCaffrey

I reject the oft-repeated premise that these are "Meaningless bowl games".

Have you been watching any? Catch the South Carolina/South Florida game OT today? Did you see the friggin' Foster Farms Bowl featuring Utah/Indiana. You think they mean nothing? These kids are playing their hearts out. One of the best games of the year. Bands playing, fans cheering.....including many parents/family members of the players.

Joe Williams, RB, Sr., Utah, will be drafted in the NFL.....and has a chance to be very good imo. He "retired" from playing college football, which is kinda strange, but changed his mind shortly thereafter, coming back, getting on track, and dominating as a running back. In their Bowl game, he was physically sick with a "bad cold", but played anyway. He wasn't gonna let his teammates down this time. He was so tired and sick in the 4th that his buddies were having to pick him up off the turf after each run.....but he kept gashing them, rushing for 222 yards and a TD, leading his team to victory and being named the Most Valuable Player of the game.

You may believe old-fashioned values in collegiate athletes are "quaint", and that these games mean little to nothing, but I disagree. That's exactly what makes college football (including the bowl games) so exciting. It means the world to these kids.....and they play like it.

You play to win the game. Grab a helmet and, win or lose, go out like a man.

Making tough decisions is going out like a man IMO.

And I know that skipping the bowl games where tough man made decisions.

I'm glad they are sticking to their decisions it's showing that they are not caving in and giving in to pure pressure.

I know I've had to make some personal decisions that have impact others , but they where made because they where what was best for me and even for me and my family.

They both have a strong future in the NFL.

In a month from now only one bowl game will be remembered and that's the one for the championship.

And neither of them are playing in that one.

Happy New Year.

Have you been watching any? Catch the South Carolina/South Florida game OT today? Did you see the friggin' Foster Farms Bowl featuring Utah/Indiana. You think they mean nothing? These kids are playing their hearts out. One of the best games of the year. Bands playing, fans cheering.....including many parents/family members of the players.

Joe Williams, RB, Sr., Utah, will be drafted in the NFL.....and has a chance to be very good imo. He "retired" from playing college football, which is kinda strange, but changed his mind shortly thereafter, coming back, getting on track, and dominating as a running back. In their Bowl game, he was physically sick with a "bad cold", but played anyway. He wasn't gonna let his teammates down this time. He was so tired and sick in the 4th that his buddies were having to pick him up off the turf after each run.....but he kept gashing them, rushing for 222 yards and a TD, leading his team to victory and being named the Most Valuable Player of the game.

You may believe old-fashioned values in collegiate athletes are "quaint", and that these games mean little to nothing, but I disagree. That's exactly what makes college football (including the bowl games) so exciting. It means the world to these kids.....and they play like it.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the people that do play in those games aren't trying to win. But that doesn't change the fact that the result doesn't really matter.

Joe Williams is also currently projected as an UDFA, so he needs to be on the field and showcase his ability on a national level. CBS Sports ranks him as the #33 RB currently, overall player rank of 410; he doesn't have the luxury of sitting out on his previous accomplishments and exposure. He needed to perform well in this game, and he needs to perform well in the East/West shrine game to hope he can get an invite to the combine, and then he needs to perform well at the combine.

For comparison, Fournette is t he #1 ranked RB and #7 prospect overall, while McCaffrey is #3 RB and #22 prospect overall.

How you think Williams is a comparable player in this discussion is beyond me.

Yeah of course a guy who is a fringe NFL player wants to play his ass off for as many games as he can. That makes complete sense and I think it's great that he pushed himself as far as he could.

The majority of these athletes will never play a down of football after college, so yeah why not go out with a maximum effort game. Or some may want to improve their draft stock, aka make more money. Should we be cautious of players with motivations like making more money since they aren't in it for the honor? Of course not.

The team is playing. The player is not. It's screams selfishness, and I am more important than the team. Again, are we going to have pending free agent NFL guys saying to the coach, "Well coach, it's week 16 and 17 and we're out of the playoffs. I'm a free agent and can't afford to get hurt so I'm going ot sit these last two games out. After all, they are meaningless." That's ok, rightt? It's just a smart business decision, right?

This mentality is completely absurd to me, and I'll never agree with it.

The team is playing. The player is not. It's screams selfishness, and I am more important than the team. Again, are we going to have pending free agent NFL guys saying to the coach, "Well coach, it's week 16 and 17 and we're out of the playoffs. I'm a free agent and can't afford to get hurt so I'm going ot sit these last two games out. After all, they are meaningless." That's ok, rightt? It's just a smart business decision, right?

This mentality is completely absurd to me, and I'll never agree with it.

You really can't see the difference? One player is being paid millions. No it is absolutely not ok for a pro to sit. Why is it that those of us who understand why Fournette and McCaffrey are sitting out of these games can understand the difference in situations, but those who are against their decisions can't separate the two?? It seems blatantly obvious to me.

Although teams sit players who are a dinged up the last game of the season to not risk further injury. Crazy how a team can recognize that playing in a senseless week 17 game that can negatively impact a players future may not be worth the risk.

Joe Williams is also currently projected as an UDFA, so he needs to be on the field and showcase his ability on a national level. CBS Sports ranks him as the #33 RB currently, overall player rank of 410; he doesn't have the luxury of sitting out on his previous accomplishments and exposure. He needed to perform well in this game, and he needs to perform well in the East/West shrine game to hope he can get an invite to the combine, and then he needs to perform well at the combine.

For comparison, Fournette is t he #1 ranked RB and #7 prospect overall, while McCaffrey is #3 RB and #22 prospect overall.

How you think Williams is a comparable player in this discussion is beyond me.

how about Dalvin Cook? He played...He helped his team win...200 Yards and a TD against a great D...Won the MVP of the Orange Bowl...He is ranked #2 RB and #8 overall by Kiper/McShay. That's how you go out!!!

• Like 1

how about Dalvin Cook? He played...He helped his team win...200 Yards and a TD against a great D...Won the MVP of the Orange Bowl...He is ranked #2 RB and #8 overall by Kiper/McShay. That's how you go out!!!

That statement of mine was really only meant to be as a response to that one guys' Joe Williams comp; not really even a pro Fournette/McCaffrey statement.

You can be equally for or against these guys' decision and still realize that using Joe Williams' bowl game performance as a comp is completely ridiculous. They're not even in the same stratosphere, so Williams really had no business being involved in this conversation.

That's all I was trying to accomplish with that statement.

Now in regards to Cook, I say good for him. This is all risk/reward, so you can be understand Fournette/McCaffrey while still understanding the downside economically of the decision and respecting players that choose the opposite. Yes, it does leave them exposed to a guy like Cook coming in and having a great bowl game performance and potentially leapfrogging Fournette. It's a market based decision, meaning there is market based consequences.

If this game makes Cook more money, then good for him, because the risk was certainly there. However, if a GM takes Cook over Fournette because of this and Fournette ends up the better player still, that GM is not going to get a pass by trying to claim that Cook had heart and grit and more character than Fournette. That GM's job is still to take the better football player, and this one game performance or this new fake outrage against his character shouldn't cloud all that Fournette has shown over his whole career.

Fair?

I think the Fans of both Stanford and LSU are still going home happy.

They both still won.

Cook had a great game and his decision to leave school early is a good decision.

But he's giving up on his Fla St teammates to chase the money he will earn in the NFL.

And oh my soul what if he did suffer a major injury ?

Yeah I'm still on board with the decision to skip playing in a bowl game that no one will ever talk about again.

Both of the guys that started this topic have real injuries that they've tried to play around all season.

And guys like LSU's Guice did good work (again). And Cook's good and healthy showing is good for backs in the future to consider both sides of the argument.

Now hopefully everyone gets/stays healthy from now to the through the season. More good to great rbs in the NFL is great for us.

Williams really had no business being involved in this conversation.

He does if you are Williams,,,,,

He does if you are Williams,,,,,

dude, how do you not get the point? Williams is currently slated as an UDFA; his entire college career up to this point is insufficient to get him into the league. He doesn't have the luxury of taking this game off; and that's what this conversation is about, a luxury.

Every scout in the league already knows that Fournette and McCaffrey are top NFL talents. They don't have to play this one particular game because they've vastly over performed already now for 2 years.

If the goal here is to get your name up the draft board, they've done their job, Williams has not.

• Like 1

dude, how do you not get the point? Williams is currently slated as an UDFA; his entire college career up to this point is insufficient to get him into the league. He doesn't have the luxury of taking this game off; and that's what this conversation is about, a luxury.

Every scout in the league already knows that Fournette and McCaffrey are top NFL talents. They don't have to play this one particular game because they've vastly over performed already now for 2 years.

If the goal here is to get your name up the draft board, they've done their job, Williams has not.

Oh, I have the point, my friend, but it is too flimsy to penetrate. You know full-well what Cook just did for his team/fans/university.....and, of course, himself. Cook said after the game that the thought of not playing never even entered his mind. You say "good for him".....well, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Can't have it both ways.

So, you feel the need to pivot the spotlight back to poor Joe Williams. Well, let me tell you something......Ole' Joe did the same thing for his team/fans/university/self. He finished. If you truly believe that Joe Williams wasn't gonna play in the NFL, them you are potentially delusional. However, he could have lost any chance at that with an injury......just like Cooks and every other friggin' standout Senior in every friggin' Bowl game.....oh well......they play to win the game.

Do you and others really not understand that mentality? Just being a man and laying it ALL on the line for the guy next to you?

Hide and watch poor ole' Joe become a better NFL RB than both of the two mentioned in the beginning of this thread. Wouldn't surprise me a bit. Much stranger things have happened. That's how life goes sometimes. Good fortune smiles on those who sacrifice self. Those of speed, strength and skill are so often surpassed by those of resolve, determination, and will.

Fournette could have rolled up the yardage and stats today, helping not only his financial future (if that was so important to him), but being on the field to finish the season and celebrate with his teammates and fans.....along with a memory that nobody can ever take away. He chose not to. He chose to count his potential money instead. Totally his choice. It just so happens that I and some others think it's pansy. That's my choice.

Oh, I have the point, my friend, but it is too flimsy to penetrate. You know full-well what Cook just did for his team/fans/university.....and, of course, himself. Cook said after the game that the thought of not playing never even entered his mind. You say "good for him".....well, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Can't have it both ways.

So, you feel the need to pivot the spotlight back to poor Joe Williams. Well, let me tell you something......Ole' Joe did the same thing for his team/fans/university/self. He finished. If you truly believe that Joe Williams wasn't gonna play in the NFL, them you are potentially delusional. However, he could have lost any chance at that with an injury......just like Cooks and every other friggin' standout Senior in every friggin' Bowl game.....oh well......they play to win the game.

Do you and others really not understand that mentality? Just being a man and laying it ALL on the line for the guy next to you?

Hide and watch poor ole' Joe become a better NFL RB than both of the two mentioned in the beginning of this thread. Wouldn't surprise me a bit. Much stranger things have happened. That's how life goes sometimes. Good fortune smiles on those who sacrifice self. Those of speed, strength and skill are so often surpassed by those of resolve, determination, and will.

Fournette could have rolled up the yardage and stats today, helping not only his financial future (if that was so important to him), but being on the field to finish the season and celebrate with his teammates and fans.....along with a memory that nobody can ever take away. He chose not to. He chose to count his potential money instead. Totally his choice. It just so happens that I and some others think it's pansy. That's my choice.

Whether Joe Williams plays or doesn't play in the NFL is not the point yet either. The point is only related to what his value is at this second in time. Prior to that game, he was an UDFA based on everything he has done on the field during his college career. All that fairy tale stuff you wrote about what could happen in the future because he tries so hard is not relevant today because he hasn't done enough to show teams that's the case.

Does that mean that he can't make it into the league, and become even better than many of the players that get drafted ahead of? Of course not, it happens all the time. And I'd be happy if he does because that doesn't disprove anything that we're saying.

It just means he needs to work harder at it now to offset what didn't get accomplished earlier. Fournette already accomplished enough over his last two seasons to become the #7 rated player in the draft, which is a helluva bigger accomplishment than what Williams did that one day. That means though that Williams needed to play in his bowl game (sick and all), and that means he needs to play in the East West Shrine game. That means he needs to nail the combine, and nail his individual workouts. And that's just to get drafted, let alone what he'll need to do next to beat out the guys above him on his new team's depth chart.

And your talk about "those of speed, strength and skill are so often surpassed by those of resolve, determination, and will;" what the hell is that? You're talking like Fournette and McCaffery are just home sitting on their asses, and just expecting their tape to do everything for them. They're working out every day, healing their bodies, and preparing for the pre draft process. That is just as intense than what guys who decide to play their bowl games are doing.

And if you don't think Leonard Fournette is a hard worker and determined, then you must not watch LSU football because Les Miles does not do his offensive players favors. Miles is one of the worst offensive gameplanners and wasted talented offensive players like ODB and Landry, so for Fournette to rise to the #7 player in the draft at a position that is becoming more devalued in the NFL is a statement about his ability and work ethic. And McCaffrey does everything offensively for his team, even doing return work when he's their primary offensive weapon, so he doesn't need to prove to you that he's loaded with unselfishness and determination. Plus it's not like he's the most natural athlete anyway, so he couldn't have gotten as far as he already has without working his tail off in the first place.

And your fine to call them pansies and like Cook more, but your statements can at least be intelligent, which they're not. You're the one that brought up Joe Williams as a comparable scenario, and it's just not. Even if Joe Williams becomes a better player eventually, it's still not relevant to this argument today. This argument is very much an economic one around risk/reward, and to say that a guy who is currently ranked #410 has the same risk/reward as the guy ranked #7 is ridiculous.

Les Miles does not do his offensive players favors. Miles is one of the worst offensive gameplanners

-Now on this, we can both agree

This argument is very much an economic one around risk/reward

-To you and others it is....while myself and others see it as a matter of not finishing, dishonorable behavior, and putting self above team. I assure you that some NFL coaches feel similarly to the latter.

(.....and I am glad to know that you are the decipherer of what constitutes intelligence. Matches your abilities to do likewise with what is honorable. Well rounded)

Happy New Year.

Darrius Guise did well filling in for Fournette. Good for him for using his chance to show he belongs as the starter next year. Of course some people believe Guise shouldn't get that opportunity...

It is my opinion that the NCAA should provide at least the basic lattice of a solution to this issue here, and it involves player insurance.

Actuaries can project, along with help from draft experts, etc, the projected value of elite players, and the NCAA could at least provide insurance for players to cover the amount of each player's projected contract/signing bonus in the event of a catastrophic injury.

That would prevent players from sitting out important games that - for many - are a major part of the intrigue of NCAA football with which to begin. These policies can constantly be re-adjusted, to account for rising/falling players, and I would think a minimum qualifier (draft projection status) would be necessary.

Something along these lines would make sense.

• Like 1

It is my opinion that the NCAA should provide at least the basic lattice of a solution to this issue here, and it involves player insurance.

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to this.

Joel Klatt made an interesting point on local radio the other day. It's basic management vs worker mechanics.

Essentially, the value of the work being performed has never been higher. The schools have never made more money.....Conversely, the pay the school is offering (a scholarship) has never been less valuable than it is today.

So in short, the workers are providing more value than they ever have, yet their pay has been decreased to its lowest level ever. This should have been easy to see coming, and it'll just get worse.

Actuaries can project, along with help from draft experts, etc, the projected value of elite players, and the NCAA could at least provide insurance for players to cover the amount of each player's projected contract/signing bonus in the event of a catastrophic injury.

That would prevent players from sitting out important games that - for many - are a major part of the intrigue of NCAA football with which to begin. These policies can constantly be re-adjusted, to account for rising/falling players, and I would think a minimum qualifier (draft projection status) would be necessary.

Something along these lines would make sense.

SEC and Big12 already are on with covering insurance through Atheltic Dept but coverage isn't cheap. Some conferences are splitting with families as well. Other players get their own if families can afford it or an agent agrees to lend : Marquise Lee's policy was $96,000 for his "last yr" and there is plenty of other players who've drawn policies. As I understand it the cost is between 5k-15k/million of insurance. So someone like Fournette would need to come up with maybe 130k to cover up losing his "career". However the policies need to be bought prior early, like to spring practices before this current season (so the insurance company gets paid prolly). Can't get it for a bowl game if you didn't already have mostly because I doubt any insurance companies will take those risks so short term. Actuarially speaking those are crappy odds and they only play to win.

• Like 1

If I'm NFL management, I want a player who calculates that their professional paycheck and livelihood is more important than an exhibition game with friends . I'm not saying I draft a decidedly inferior talent over such a player, but I'm saying that this variable factors into my decision regarding who I trust to make decisions that will keep them on the field for my franchise.

Once these guys sign their contracts they aren't even supposed to play pick up basketball or ride a motorcycle. No GM with a brain is going to give a shít if they skip a game to protect their one asset.

SEC and Big12 already are on with covering insurance through Atheltic Dept but coverage isn't cheap. Some conferences are splitting with families as well. Other players get their own if families can afford it or an agent agrees to lend : Marquise Lee's policy was $96,000 for his "last yr" and there is plenty of other players who've drawn policies. As I understand it the cost is between 5k-15k/million of insurance. So someone like Fournette would need to come up with maybe 130k to cover up losing his "career". However the policies need to be bought prior early, like to spring practices before this current season (so the insurance company gets paid prolly). Can't get it for a bowl game if you didn't already have mostly because I doubt any insurance companies will take those risks so short term. Actuarially speaking those are crappy odds and they only play to win.

Jake Butt had an insurance policy, and will collect $2 million if he slips out of second round. He probably will now as he was projected around #45 prospect or so and it's a deep TE draft, so he'll cash in on that.

To compare though, the #45 pick last year was Derrick Henry, and his contract was $5.4 million, with $3.2 guaranteed. Let's say a good scenario occurs and he goes top of the 4th rd. Top pick in the 4th rd last year was Joe Schobert, and his contract is $2.9 million with $633k guaranteed; so he loses $500k in total, $600k in guarantees.

Top of 5th rd was Tajae Sharpe, who's contract is $2.6 million with only $270k guaranteed though; so he loses $800k in total, $1 million in guarantees.

That's the money we're talking here, and that's a best case scenario. If he was able to increase his stock and rise into the first round though he'd be looking at $8.2 million with $6.2 million guaranteed.

It will be interesting to see where he lands; if anything just for a case study within this debate.

Jake Butt had an insurance policy, and will collect $2 million if he slips out of second round. He probably will now as he was projected around #45 prospect or so and it's a deep TE draft, so he'll cash in on that.

To compare though, the #45 pick last year was Derrick Henry, and his contract was $5.4 million, with $3.2 guaranteed. Let's say a good scenario occurs and he goes top of the 4th rd. Top pick in the 4th rd last year was Joe Schobert, and his contract is $2.9 million with $633k guaranteed; so he loses $500k in total, $600k in guarantees.

Top of 5th rd was Tajae Sharpe, who's contract is $2.6 million with only $270k guaranteed though; so he loses $800k in total, $1 million in guarantees.

That's the money we're talking here, and that's a best case scenario. If he was able to increase his stock and rise into the first round though he'd be looking at $8.2 million with $6.2 million guaranteed.

It will be interesting to see where he lands; if anything just for a case study within this debate.

I see now too that he previously had an ACL injury on his other knee a few years ago, so he could fall even further now. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu fell all the way to the 7th rd a few years ago after sustaining two major knee injuries during his career.

It isn't about odds to me. It's about the NCAA protecting their franchise, because they're never going be able to stop a player who is about to declare for the NFL Draft from declining to play.

The premiums as you've described them would have to be enacted throughout the course of the season, and I'm not suggesting that regardless. All the NCAA has to do is figure out at what point a player's NFL stock drops terribly if they stop playing, and decide to offer coverage after that point.

Creating this sort of coverage isn't necessarily without complications - you've highlighted one of them - but I believe that it can be done, particularly in light of the MILLIONS at stake for both the NCAA and major networks paying to provide coverage. The premiums themselves are a mere drop in the bucket.

Once these guys sign their contracts they aren't even supposed to play pick up basketball or ride a motorcycle. No GM with a brain is going to give a shít if they skip a game to protect their one asset.

You've put the cart before the horse. What you are describing could apply perhaps only to the #1 draft pick - and that #1 pick would have to know which team is going to select him before there is a GM to actually care.

The NFL draft happens months after the last Bowl game.

There is another point I can add here wrt to player insurance to add to the points I made in response to phlegmish's post: if this insurance is provided through the NCAA, it has two possible options that will GREATLY reduce the cost:

1. Self-insuring players. The NCAA controls billions of dollars. They could self-insure any record #1 NFL contract level.

2. Volume buying of insurance. If the NCAA declines the logistic challenge of #1, they could group buy such insurance through the lowest bidder.

This can be done.

There is another point I can add here wrt to player insurance to add to the points I made in response to phlegmish's post: if this insurance is provided through the NCAA, it has two possible options that will GREATLY reduce the cost:

1. Self-insuring players. The NCAA controls billions of dollars. They could self-insure any record #1 NFL contract level.

2. Volume buying of insurance. If the NCAA declines the logistic challenge of #1, they could group buy such insurance through the lowest bidder.

This can be done.

all good points

You've put the cart before the horse. What you are describing could apply perhaps only to the #1 draft pick - and that #1 pick would have to know which team is going to select him before there is a GM to actually care.

The NFL draft happens months after the last Bowl game.

I worded that poorly. No GM is going to give a shìt that an athlete is protecting their one asset. That asset is their athleticism which requires them to be healthy.

How would this self insurance work? The NCAA would just pay out potential draftees if they get hurt based on their potential draft position? Who pays the insurance premiums?

Tax payers of course.

I worded that poorly. No GM is going to give a shìt that an athlete is protecting their one asset. That asset is their athleticism which requires them to be healthy.

There is more than athleticism. Coaches value heart as well.

I'm fine with it. Of course I also think CFB Players should be paid as the defacto dev league for the NFL. After Jaylon Smith last year I believe no player 'owes it' to any team or coach when millions could be on the line.

The NCAA doesn't have any working contracts with the NFL. In fact, there are NCAA rules prohibiting their student athletes from conversing with the NFL while they're still active student athletes. Just because the NFL uses the NCAA to get it's players, that's not the NCAA's fault or responsibility to make things better for the NFL or to justify it's existence.

What part didn't you understand?

Basically all of your post. You waded into the discussion and stated obvious facts that everyone already knows. It was unnecessary and did not add value to the thread.