Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Updated: Doug's NFL Draft Profiles - RB Kenneth Dixon

We're kicking off Doug Orth's NFL Draft Profiles today. We should have 10 or so of these done by the time the draft gets going on 4/28.

QB Carson Wentz - 3/31/16

RB Ezekiel Elliott - 4/4/16

QB Jared Goff - 4/8/16

WR Laquon Treadwell - 4/12/16

WR Corey Coleman - 4/17/16

RB Derrick Henry - 4/20/16

WR Sterling Shepard - 4/21/16

RB Devontae Booker - 4/25/16

WR Josh Doctson - 4/27/16

RB Kenneth Dixon - 4/28/16

Love these. If only ten before the draft are you going to limit it to the top 2-3 at each position? Would prefer more focus on WRs/RBs after the two top QBs.

Love these. If only ten before the draft are you going to limit it to the top 2-3 at each position? Would prefer more focus on WRs/RBs after the two top QBs.

Glad to hear it.

I haven't finalized the list yet, but I will only do Wentz and Goff at QB and no TEs. RBs will almost certainly be Elliott, Henry, Booker and Dixon. WRs will probably be Treadwell, Coleman, Shepard and Doctson. Fuller and Boyd are in the running, but I will be working a crazy number of hours at my other jobs for the next two months, so time will be limited before and immediately after the draft.

We're kicking off Doug Orth's NFL Draft Profiles today. We should have 10 or so of these done by the time the draft gets going on 4/28.

QB Carson Wentz - 3/31/16

Best thing about Wentz leaving for the pros? The world can learn more about the guy that will replace him at NDSU - Easton Stick.

• Like 1

Michael Thomas

I'm of the opinion the best wr unexpectedly went back to school. But hey, tomAto tomato. I value your dynasty input giraldi. So I'll keep Thomas in the back of my head.

• Like 1

Not to be a smart as@ but, which one?

OSU, but the other one is pretty damn good from the limited tape I've seen of him

That runningback from ND, cj prosise, looks intriguing. I'd do one on him.

That runningback from ND, cj prosise, looks intriguing. I'd do one on him.

You'll see my praise on him on Day 2. I like him a lot myself, but I can't really bump him for any of the other nine players I currently have IMO. Thomas is kinda in the same boat. Treadwell has to get done, Coleman and Shepard are my favorites to be the best WR in the draft (at the moment) and Doctson seems to be a first-round lock. I'm going to be working 60 hours per week over the next few weeks, so you'll understand why I'm probably going to be limited to 10 players this time around.

I can safely say this re: Prosise.

If he gets drafted by the Dolphins, I'd take him as high as 1.06 in rookie drafts.

Endorse a rb as a top 10 pick? Could be the best player? Yikes. I think he will be good, but i am not so sure of special.

Endorse a rb as a top 10 pick? Could be the best player? Yikes. I think he will be good, but i am not so sure of special.

The thing about Zeke is: He is already skilled in pass protection. Like..three or four year vet skilled. That does not happen with many rookie running backs. He's a day one starter, and to me the easy odds on favorite to win OROY. To be honest, the Eagles are the only team I legitimately see as being a candidate for him in the Top-ten, but he's got the skils to me.

Per PFF: During the 103 snaps last season where Elliott was tasked with protecting the passer, the Buckeyes' quarterback wasn't sacked, hit, or even hurried one single time.

• Like 2

The thing about Zeke is: He is already skilled in pass protection. Like..three or four year vet skilled. That does not happen with many rookie running backs. He's a day one starter, and to me the easy odds on favorite to win OROY. To be honest, the Eagles are the only team I legitimately see as being a candidate for him in the Top-ten, but he's got the skils to me.

Per PFF: During the 103 snaps last season where Elliott was tasked with protecting the passer, the Buckeyes' quarterback wasn't sacked, hit, or even hurried one single time.

Re-posting this one more time for Cowboy fans. If he falls to 14 I'd love to see Oakland jump all over that.

Re-posting this one more time for Cowboy fans. If he falls to 14 I'd love to see Oakland jump all over that.

The Dolphins will probably take him at 13 before that happens.

The Dolphins will probably take him at 13 before that happens.

Oh gosh I hope so it would mean Vernon Hargreaves falls to Oakland at 14.

Oh gosh I hope so it would mean Vernon Hargreaves falls to Oakland at 14.

If Zeke falls to Miami, I think its because the Eagles took Hargreaves

If Zeke falls to Miami, I think its because the Eagles took Hargreaves

You've got a point, but I was thinking they'd take a QB. Some mocks have Hargreaves falling to 14, and even so I'd go CB anyway if drafting for the Raiders. Cornerbacks are flying up the charts and I'm not even certain Artie Burns is there for them in the second. If Oakland can hit on a hot young corner that rolls them three deep at the position.

Elliot is a better Rb than Bosa is an end... If it came down to one or other - I'd rather have Zeke.

Elliot is a better Rb than Bosa is an end... If it came down to one or other - I'd rather have Zeke.

And there's plenty of second tier QBs you can get at the top of later rounds as well. I think what the Raiders did with Carr should be looked at very closely by Dallas. I also think the kid McCarren in Cincy may fit that mold as well, if he ever gets to play.

And there's plenty of second tier QBs you can get at the top of later rounds as well. I think what the Raiders did with Carr should be looked at very closely by Dallas. I also think the kid McCarren in Cincy may fit that mold as well, if he ever gets to play.

The Raiders were fortunate, it happens from time to time... Fact of the matter is - the majority of staring qbs in the nfl came out of the 1st round. That's not a freakish coincidence, it's a reason based reality... I believe something like 23 starting qbs, out of the 32 last year, were 1st round picks.... Unless you're the Browns, you get a top 4 pick only so often. If you (or Dallas) believes Wentz or Goff is the willy nilly, franchise qb of the future - you have to take him.. If he's not, then yes - you see if you can find a later round jewel.

I won't be mad or upset if we take Zeke... I will be pissed if we pass on Wentz or Goff and they turn out to be a top 10, franchise qb for somebody else.

The Raiders were fortunate, it happens from time to time... Fact of the matter is - the majority of staring qbs in the nfl came out of the 1st round. That's not a freakish coincidence, it's a reason based reality... I believe something like 23 starting qbs, out of the 32 last year, were 1st round picks.... Unless you're the Browns, you get a top 4 pick only so often. If you (or Dallas) believes Wentz or Goff is the willy nilly, franchise qb of the future - you have to take him.. If he's not, then yes - you see if you can find a later round jewel.

I won't be mad or upset if we take Zeke... I will be pissed if we pass on Wentz or Goff and they turn out to be a top 10, franchise qb for somebody else.

The problem with picking a QB in the first round is that there is a lot of damage control with Carr who would feel threatened.

Besides.... I think the raiders have bigger priorities. I think if they take a QB, they will grab one round 2, 3 or 4.

The problem with picking a QB in the first round is that there is a lot of damage control with Carr who would feel threatened.

Besides.... I think the raiders have bigger priorities. I think if they take a QB, they will grab one round 2, 3 or 4.

You think Carr will feel threatened if Dallas takes a qb? :huh:

I think you might have whiffed on the topic.

Our first WR - Laquon Treadwell.

The Chiefs could use a guy like this.

I want Tread to go to a team with a stud WR. Somewhere like Atlanta or Cincy.

Keenan Allen is a star receiver? Huh. I guess anyone gets to be labeled as a star these days. If he kept up his ridiculous first half all year i would agree. However, an extremely disappointing 2nd year mixed with only half a season for his third does not equate to star power imo.

Edit: I should clarify that Allen wouldnt have needed to maintain his ridiculous pace he set from the first half, but rather he would have needed to be healthy to show he can maintain a certain level of success expected from a "star".

But it's far from an exclusive fact now is it? I should have been more clear in my statement, which is driven from not being impressed by any of the top 3 QB's. Dallas would be better off going with their impact player at four, then perhaps taking another look in later rounds. Maybe even a Connor Cook? I'm laughing at the picture of Derek Carr being threatened by ANY rookie QB coming in (no offense Ray.) But still, Raider fans are perfectly fine with taking maybe a seventh round flyer on a Jake Coker of Alabama or Jeff Driskell of LA Tech (kid has 4.56 wheels and a strong arm.)

Keenan Allen is a star receiver? Huh. I guess anyone gets to be labeled as a star these days. If he kept up his ridiculous first half all year i would agree. However, an extremely disappointing 2nd year mixed with only half a season for his third does not equate to star power imo.

Edit: I should clarify that Allen wouldnt have needed to maintain his ridiculous pace he set from the first half, but rather he would have needed to be healthy to show he can maintain a certain level of success expected from a "star".

I differentiate between "superstar" and "star". Allen was on at least 120-catch pace before his injury, so I feel comfortable in saying he was reaching "star" status even if the media hasn't tabbed him as such yet.

But it's far from an exclusive fact now is it? I should have been more clear in my statement, which is driven from not being impressed by any of the top 3 QB's. Dallas would be better off going with their impact player at four, then perhaps taking another look in later rounds. Maybe even a Connor Cook? I'm laughing at the picture of Derek Carr being threatened by ANY rookie QB coming in (no offense Ray.) But still, Raider fans are perfectly fine with taking maybe a seventh round flyer on a Jake Coker of Alabama or Jeff Driskell of LA Tech (kid has 4.56 wheels and a strong arm.)

Simply put:

The Cowboys have more pressing needs than quarterback.

This year's draft has a far sharper drop off in talent at OTHER positions, particularly defensively, than quarterback.

Drafting a quarterback inside the top five means they are starting. Day one. It would also indicate to me, and likely many others, that Tony Romo is much worse medically than has been reported.

Simply put:

The Cowboys have more pressing needs than quarterback.

This year's draft has a far sharper drop off in talent at OTHER positions, particularly defensively, than quarterback.

Drafting a quarterback inside the top five means they are starting. Day one. It would also indicate to me, and likely many others, that Tony Romo is much worse medically than has been reported.

I think Romo is in rough shape.

I've always been a fan, but he has had Chronic Back problems, and has been breaking bones (specifically the clavicle) repeatedly.

Not a good sign.

In his case I think the injuries will finish him before his skills fade. I honestly think the cowboys would be lucky to get any more than one more full season out of him. -This may even be pushing the limit. I truly hope I am wrong, but I dont think that I am.

I want Tread to go to a team with a stud WR. Somewhere like Atlanta or Cincy.

I think thats his best chance to succeed. I really don't see him as a #1 stud. But more of a great #2.

This is a shallow draft for offense, but it's quite deep defensively - particularly defensive line. Regarding Treadwell I see him more like Boldin than Hopkins lite.

• Like 1

But it's far from an exclusive fact now is it? I should have been more clear in my statement, which is driven from not being impressed by any of the top 3 QB's. Dallas would be better off going with their impact player at four, then perhaps taking another look in later rounds. Maybe even a Connor Cook?

It is far from fact.. And since it is, it's usually a good practice to rely on statistical history - odds and percentages... We aren't that far apart really... I too think you grab the best, value, impact player - unless (in the team's opinion) you believe your franchise qb of the future is there - then you take him. Re: those only come around so often, and even rarer is a team's opportunity to draft in the top 4.

It is far from fact.. And since it is, it's usually a good practice to rely on statistical history - odds and percentages... We aren't that far apart really... I too think you grab the best, value, impact player - unless (in the team's opinion) you believe your franchise qb of the future is there - then you take him. Re: those only come around so often, and even rarer is a team's opportunity to draft in the top 4.

I just don't see it in Goff or Wentz, and for damn sure I don't see it in Lynch. At 4 overall, you'd better be sure. With the Cowboys line, maybe there's a little more play in developing a young QB. Just saw a bit on the NFL Network with Jack Conklin, and he stated that teams were most impressed with his grasp of the pro style system of offense since they ran such at Michigan State. How do you think that's going to play with the QB in that system? I'm not big on the physical talent level of Connor Cook, but who was enamored with Romes when he came out lol...? I actually think the safer bet for Dallas is to go BPA at four, then perhaps Cook with their second rounder. And BTW I've seen mocks with Cook going 20th overall to the Jets. Obviously that's a reach, but I digress.

It's not just making the pick, but it's developing your guy too. A Conner Cook comes in, sits behind Romo for a couple years, and you've got your future ready to go. If Romes goes down, you throw the kid in there. I just watched a slobber story on the NFL Channel, where that clown Elliott Harrison was gushing over the job Jameis Winston did in his rookie season. Let's see... Winston completed 312 of 535 passes (58%) for 4044 yds with 22 TD passes and 15 INTs. He did have a very high yds per attempt ratio. But look at the supporting cast of Mike Evans, Vincent Jackson, and a Doug Martin who went crazy last year. What's more, Winston played in the putrid NFC South, where the defenses he faced averaged out as the 17th ranked against the pass with only TWO being top ten passing defenses.

Contrast that with Derek Carr's rookie year. Carr completed 348 of 599 passes (58%) for 3270 yds with 21 TD passes and 12 INTs. Carr's supporting cast on a bad Raider team included James Jones, Andre Holmes, and Darren McFadden. The defenses Carr faced in the AFC West averaged 10th in passing defense, and he faced NINE top ten pass defenses that year including the number one overall 49ers in Wk 14, which he shredded for 22-28 250 yds and 3 Tds.

The point of this being Winston gets the pub because he was a #1 overall pick. But the better value, and in fact the better QB, is Derek Carr. In about 2-3 years Carr will be among the league's elite QB's. But what's important here is that by NOT reaching for a QB at Four (same position Dallas picks at now coincidentally) Oakland was able to select Khalil Mack, who IS one of the better defenders in the NFL.

Sorry for the filibuster, just thought there is a correlation.

It's not just making the pick, but it's developing your guy too. A Conner Cook comes in, sits behind Romo for a couple years, and you've got your future ready to go.

For sure... Like I've said, due to Romo's deal and his cap implications - this team has to count on him being here and playing for at least the next 2 seasons... Not saying I think he can, or will - saying for cap purposes, he has to... Which lends itself to the C. Cook line of thinking - draft in a later round, let him sit an learn.

If I had to make a call today, based on the thinking Ramsey will be gone - they take Zeke.

For sure... Like I've said, due to Romo's deal and his cap implications - this team has to count on him being here and playing for at least the next 2 seasons... Not saying I think he can, or will - saying for cap purposes, he has to... Which lends itself to the C. Cook line of thinking - draft in a later round, let him sit an learn.

If I had to make a call today, based on the thinking Ramsey will be gone - they take Zeke.

And this Raider fan thinks that's a fantastic pick for your team. Hey, go peruse this thread on our Raider forum. One of our guys broke down some tape of Zeke and it's fairly grabbing.

https://raiderforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8498&start=45

This is a shallow draft for offense, but it's quite deep defensively - particularly defensive line. Regarding Treadwell I see him more like Boldin than Hopkins lite.

couldnt agree more.

I looked at the scouting report and the first person I thought about was Boldin because the description almost describes him perfectly.