Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**2018 Masters Thread**

I agree with everything except the bolded. He hit his driver what, 10 times this week? That sh1t ain't gonna fly at Augusta. You don't wanna be hitting long irons into those greens.

He's trying to swing and hit it as far as the long boys. It's not going to work. he can't keep it in the fairway

I'll also say his odds for the masters are laughable. Will people bet him? Sure. Just look at the people who tune in who don't know anything about golf just to see Tiger. That Fridays paycheck will get placed on tiger woods :D

Seriously though, yes he looked great but he's played 4 real tournaments with 1 MC and 1 top 10 (albeit a 2nd). I'd also call that a weakish field made weaker by a bunch of top guys missing the cut... obviously not Tigers fault and again, he played really well but he was able to hit a ton of stinger 2 irons off the tees.

I just don't see how you can put him as the masters favorite or even top 3 ahead of guys who hve been winning lots of events since TW last hoisted a trophy.

If I'm drafting an edex team, he's a first rounder but I couldn't put money on him at what his odds will be. There Will definitely be more bang for the buck on capable guys with better odds. Rose, Bubba, Phil, Day, Dustin&Justin, Casey, even Sergio to repeat. Matsuyama, Fleetwood

I agree with everything except the bolded. He hit his driver what, 10 times this week? That sh1t ain't gonna fly at Augusta. You don't wanna be hitting long irons into those greens.

TW has been quietly trending up with his driving stats.

For the week, TW hit 62% of the fairways..........field average was 60%.

His last event (Honda) he hit 64%.................field average was 59%.

And as we know, he can let it rip and spray it damn near anywhere at Augusta.......I anticipate him hitting driver a lot there that week.

TW has been quietly trending up with his driving stats.

For the week, TW hit 62% of the fairways..........field average was 60%.

how many were 2 irons? which he missed one feebly on Saturday

His distance average was 42nd, because he rarely hit the big boy

He did hit less than driver several times......... But Copperhead is a brute - at Augusta he can bomb it away and not worry about it.

Hell, if I could hit my 3-wood 290 yards, I prolly wouldn't hit driver that much either.

He did hit less than driver several times......... But Copperhead is a brute - at Augusta he can bomb it away and not worry about it.

Hell, if I could hit my 3-wood 290 yards, I prolly wouldn't hit driver that much either.

Chicks dig the long ball :wub:

Have to agree on the long irons into greens thing. Luke Donald was Whodini a few years back (2011 I think) around the greens, and still couldn't win because he was hitting from too far back to hold greens/get it close. Made his living on Par 3s. Granted, Tiger will hit it farther with an iron than Donald ever could, but Dain's original point is spot on. And, sometimes when Tiger sprays it off the tee, he REALLY sprays it. There are holes where that's bad.

TW struggled wit the putter Sunday for sure...........but overall, WOW - he looked great this week.

* The short game exhibition he put on this week was off the chain. It's unfathomable to think this is the same guy who was skull focking and chunking chips all over the place a couple years back in Phoenix.

* That Saturday round....you could have taken that TW from the 3rd round and transplanted him back into 2000 - he was that good.

* The 3-putt he had y-day on the 14th was killer....... To be putting for Eagle and walk off with Par was a nut cruncher.

* I still don't understand why he laid back with iron off the 18th tee. As solid as he had been driving it, he could of left himself a wedge intot that green - instead of coming in from 186 yards.

* TW has catapulted up the board - only DJ and JT are higher favorites to win the Masters now.

He was great on Saturday, but he shot a 68- same score as Snedeker. And, the best score of the day was 66. It was the kind of round that distinguishes you as a contender, but doesn't separate you from the field. Therein lies the problem. And, the four hottest players in the world in 2018 thus far weren't even playing in the tournament.

I think Tiger proved to everyone this past weekend that he's once again going to be a force in golf as long as he's healthy. But, being a force and actually winning a major are two different things. It'll take four rounds like he had on Saturday in a major to make that happen. Or, at the very least- three.

He was great on Saturday, but he shot a 68- same score as Snedeker. And, the best score of the day was 66. It was the kind of round that distinguishes you as a contender, but doesn't separate you from the field. Therein lies the problem. And, the four hottest players in the world in 2018 thus far weren't even playing in the tournament.

I think Tiger proved to everyone this past weekend that he's once again going to be a force in golf as long as he's healthy. But, being a force and actually winning a major are two different things. It'll take four rounds like he had on Saturday in a major to make that happen. Or, at the very least- three.

The fact TW was there on Sunday, 1 back - is an incredible sign that his on the right path....... He's what a month or two back, 4 tournaments in from a major surgery hiatus - and he's already competing at the highest level with the likes of Rose and Casey, Garcia, Reed, etc..? I'd say he's every bit the contender the rest of this current crop is... By the time the US Open comes around, he may be really clicking.

Have to agree on the long irons into greens thing. Luke Donald was Whodini a few years back (2011 I think) around the greens, and still couldn't win because he was hitting from too far back to hold greens/get it close. Made his living on Par 3s. Granted, Tiger will hit it farther with an iron than Donald ever could, but Dain's original point is spot on. And, sometimes when Tiger sprays it off the tee, he REALLY sprays it. There are holes where that's bad.

Even with the limited Drivers, TW is averaging 303 yards off the tee, a whopping 4 yards behind the likes of J. Rahm.

Looking across the board, here's some Driving Accuracy stats for a few of the "favorites":

Day: 65%

JT: 59%

Spieth: 58%

Rory, Rahm and DJ: 57%

Augusta National is no Winged Foot - he will be free to let it fly there... I think the key will be his wedge game, he's still a little rusty there.

It really was fun to have Tiger back in the mix this past weekend. Whether you like him or not, golf is a much more compelling sport with him around.

I share Cruzer's concern about Tiger's wedge game under pressure. Based on Sunday, he still is having some problems with distance control, which caused him to lose some accuracy as the round proceeded. Some of the shots he "got away with" at Innisbrook won't be forgiven at Augusta. It will be interesting to see whether he can improve his wedge play this weekend at the Palmer tourney. He appears to have regained some of his mental edge.

It was also interesting to see the re-imaging of Tiger...the kinder, gentler veteran. He wasn't nearly as smug in his interviews. He smiled a few times on course. He even tweeted out a thank you to fans this morning.

OK..,only one change to the original top ten and it’s an obvious one. Clearly, Bubba Watson is dialed in at present and should be in everyone’s top five.

So, Watson in at #5- Leishman out.

Also, the Masters is currently at 86 players with a chance for 87 next weekend. I would like for them to expand the field to a minimum of 90 when that many don’t qualify through other means.

Jason Day

Justin Thomas

Justin Rose

Dustin Johnson

Phil Mickelson

Tiger Woods

Bubba Watson

Sergio Garcia

Paul Casey

t10 - Rory and Jordan (i like Jordan a little more here but after Rory's show at Bayhill, tough to think that might not have been the switch being flipped).

I had Bubba in my top 5 a month ago.. Only change for me is - he may be as high as 1 or 2 now.

Obviously winning isn't a fluke but Bubba didn't exactly have to light the world on fire those last 2 matches. JT and Kisner played like trash against him.

Although I can't stand Bubba so that could have something to do with the fact that I'm not ready to make him the favorite :D

Although I can't stand Bubba so that could have something to do with the fact that I'm not ready to make him the favorite :D

He makes it brutally difficult to root for him... About the only time I do is when he happens to be in a RC.

In his tune-up for Augusta, Rafa Cabrera-Bello was brutal. Nearly dead last. I am not going to do the knee jerk thing entirely on him, but no way I can keep McIlroy or Woods out of the top ten and keep him in after exhibiting such poor form the week before. Will thus adjust the rankings on Monday for the last time.

And, for those not aware, Masters draft is underway at Die-Nasty...

One of my buddies just scored a FREE :o ticket for Saturday. Just had to pay for his way down there, motherfocker :mad: :mad:

One of my buddies just scored a FREE :o ticket for Saturday. Just had to pay for his way down there, motherfocker :mad: :mad:

I just have to make my way to the couch. :dunno:

I had Bubba in my top 5 a month ago.. Only change for me is - he may be as high as 1 or 2 now.

He either wins the Masters or doesn't come close. Tough to take in a SpEdex format.

He either wins the Masters or doesn't come close. Tough to take in a SpEdex format.

Yea - it's like does he take his meds or not.

Rory was the only guy I had ahead of him on my board - so I went with him. Prolly regret it, as usual.............Bubba winning other day was actually a negative for me. So hard to expect 3 wins before May - a lot to ask of anyone not named Tiger.

Weather forecasts for Augusta:

Thursday - Sunny with afternoon clouds. Light winds. High 71, Low 46.

Friday - Mostly sunny. Moderate winds. High 78, Low 53

Saturday - Rain (90% -- around 1/2 inch forecast). Moderate winds. High 64, Low 41.

Sunday - Cloudy. Light winds. High 65, low 54.

Look up skipping the ball across the pond on 16. :thumbsup:

Dream final few pairings for Sunday?

Mine would be

Last - Spieth / Rory

2nd - Phil / Tiger

3rd - Day / Fowler

4th - Reed / Poulter

get those two "the next things" in there with Tiger and Phil breathing down their necks, followed by 2 of my favorites... but i could replace either of them with a DJ or JT for the same theatrics. And then just within striking distance would be the two Ryder Cup / make a scene guys. :thumbsup:

that would be can't miss TV

• Like 1

I havent been this excited for a golf tournament in a long time.

It's shaping up to be a doosey, ain't it.

Mine would be

Last - Spieth / Rory

2nd - Phil / Tiger

3rd - Day / Fowler

4th - Reed / Poulter

Damn good there. :thumbsup:

Mine might be:

Last: Tiger / Couples

2nd: Spieth / Rory

3rd: Fowler / Thomas

4th: DJ / Rahm

I havent been this excited for a golf tournament in a long time.

:thumbsup:

I was supposed to work for a few hours tomorrow during the coverage. Nope, took that off. I don't wanna miss a minute.

Mine would be

Last - Spieth / Rory

2nd - Phil / Tiger

3rd - Day / Fowler

4th - Reed / Poulter

get those two "the next things" in there with Tiger and Phil breathing down their necks, followed by 2 of my favorites... but i could replace either of them with a DJ or JT for the same theatrics. And then just within striking distance would be the two Ryder Cup / make a scene guys. :thumbsup:

that would be can't miss TV

I know you put "next things" in quotes, but in reality Spieth and Rory are "current things". They've combined to win 7 majors this decade. Tiger has won none. I think we're past them being merely "next".

I would not be excited to see Fowler in the final pairings. He's never been closer than 6 shots from winning at Augusta, and has shown very little as a closer in majors.