Sign in to follow this  
NFL says dunking on goal posts will be a penalty in 2014...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24500096/nfl-says-dunking-on-goal-posts-will-be-a-penalty-in-2014

The NFL passed a pair of rule proposals at the 2014 NFL owners' meetings but they also managed to outlaw dunking on goal posts, apparently.

NFL VP of Officiating Dean Blandino told the Dan Patrick Show on Tuesday that dunking on the goal post -- or using the goal post or crossbar as a prop -- will be illegal in 2014.

"That was grandfathered in. We put in a rule about five or six years ago about using the ball as a prop," Blandino said. "We grandfathered in the Lambeau Leap and some things like that. But dunking will come out. Using the ball as a prop -- or using any object as a prop, like the goal post or cross bar -- that will come out and that will be a foul next season."

If you're feeling extra conspiratorial, look at the circumstances involving the timing of this decision.

The real reason the NFL decided to do this now? Because the goal post can be bent -- like Graham did -- and that causes awkward delays and could be completely disastrous if a goal post ever actually fell.

It's probably a smart move in terms of protecting against a worst-case scenario but that doesn't mean anyone's going to like it. Especially Jimmy Graham.

Once Jimmy Graham broke the goal post...it almost had to be instituted. Most will cry about it I'm sure though

i'm sorry . but so what . it does not impact my life at all . and if these over grown and over paid kids = players don't like the rule . too bad

i'm sorry . but so what . it does not impact my life at all . and if these over grown and over paid kids = players don't like the rule . too bad

You tell em!

:headbanger:

NFL - NO FUN LEAGUE.

If you cannot use the ball as a prop, and the refs are targeting this rule, then wouldn't there also be a penalty for spiking or spinning the football after a play?

NFL - NO FUN LEAGUE.

This may be true, but these are professional players and I appreciate some professionalism. I don't need to see an elaborate celebration every time there is a QB sack, first down catch, TD...... I mean these guys are getting paid millions of dollars - those outcomes are the expected results. They should act like they have done it before - there is no need dance around like its the first time (and possibly the last time) they will ever accomplish the feat. Barry Sanders did it the right way - run the ball into the end zone, flip the ball to the ref, and accept some congratulations from teammates while running back to the bench. You watched him for the amazing things he did during the play, not after it.

• Like 1

This may be true, but these are professional players and I appreciate some professionalism. I don't need to see an elaborate celebration every time there is a QB sack, first down catch, TD...... I mean these guys are getting paid millions of dollars - those outcomes are the expected results. They should act like they have done it before - there is no need dance around like its the first time (and possibly the last time) they will ever accomplish the feat. Barry Sanders did it the right way - run the ball into the end zone, flip the ball to the ref, and accept some congratulations from teammates while running back to the bench. You watched him for the amazing things he did during the play, not after it.

I agree with you about how Barry celebrated but the reason fans liked it so much probably had a lot to do with every other athlete celebrating. If every player does what Barry did wouldn't that be a little boring? I do think some of the celebrations players do are over the top, but a league without Chad Johnson's and TO's would be a lot less interesting in my opinion.

People are always whining about how much instant replay is slowing down the game. Well, having to bring out a level to check the goalposts after Jimmy Graham dunks slows down the game so I'm fine with getting rid of the dunk.

I agree with you about how Barry celebrated but the reason fans liked it so much probably had a lot to do with every other athlete celebrating. If every player does what Barry did wouldn't that be a little boring? I do think some of the celebrations players do are over the top, but a league without Chad Johnson's and TO's would be a lot less interesting in my opinion.

I guess that it depends on what you consider entertaining and interesting. If everyone acted and played like Barry Sanders, it would not be boring for me at all. I want to see football played at the highest level with athletic plays and big hits and I'm not even against some celebratory emotion among teammates. After a truly big play, go ahead and revel in the moment and get pumped up. But I'm not interested in seeing a "look at me" choreographed dance or play-acting skit with props after every first down or even TD. If you want me to look at you, do something amazing on the field. I wouldn't be watching an NFL game if I wanted to see dancing or play-acting.

• Like 1

I guess that it depends on what you consider entertaining and interesting. If everyone acted and played like Barry Sanders, it would not be boring for me at all. I want to see football played at the highest level with athletic plays and big hits and I'm not even against some celebratory emotion among teammates. After a truly big play, go ahead and revel in the moment and get pumped up. But I'm not interested in seeing a "look at me" choreographed dance or play-acting skit with props after every first down or even TD. If you want me to look at you, do something amazing on the field. I wouldn't be watching an NFL game if I wanted to see dancing or play-acting.

/thread :lock: :clap: :clap:

Neither of those guys are in the league.

People are always whining about how much instant replay is slowing down the game. Well, having to bring out a level to check the goalposts after Jimmy Graham dunks slows down the game so I'm fine with getting rid of the dunk.

A level that had NFG written on it

You're going to have to change your user name to 'Sunken Raft'.

Neither of those guys are in the league.

I was just using them as an example. I was unaware that I had to use active players to validate my post.

This. There's a 6'1" neighbor kid who can dunk every way you can imagine. Can't play either basketball or football worth a sh!tt, but he's a leaping fool. One of the best jumpers I've ever seen. I've tried to convince to go out for track and learn to high jump. He thinks magically someday they'll put him in a game, he'll dunk repeatedly on everybody, and be a star. Not happening.

It's fun to watch him in his driveway for a minute. I know that's his ceiling. Not near as impressive when a 6'6" professional athlete does it to draw attention because his money, fame and social cache' aren't quite enough to fulfill the needs of his ego.

Hell, I'd be more impressed if one of them scored, then kicked the new 20 yd PAT they're going to experiment with. At least that would show mastery of a football skill that most people can't do.