Sign in to follow this  
SLM827

What's the point? Fantasy rant

What's the point of doing 300 mock drafts, tons of research, drafting players who ripped it up most of the season, earned the #1,2 seed, and earned high points to only lose to below avg teams first round of the playoffs?

Should I draft more average players next year and do no research? How bout go 6-7 so I can pick up all the studs off waiver wire so they dominate weeks 13-16? Do I draft all raiders, jags, bucs, and Vikings?

How do I draft or work my team so they are good when it counts? Make trades? I went 12-1, high points by 250 and lost first round and I might win 25 bucks. Then 10-3 high points 1 seed list to the 8 seed. Both low stake buy in so I'm only 5% annoyed. But what gives? It's pointless to do research and draft well only to lose early. Pretty lame if you ask me. Season is skill and pkayoffs are luck

• Like 1

I'm in 3 leagues; two have considerable money on the line; the 3rd is much smaller stakes.

In the first two, I was #1 seed and outscored the field by a ton: 12-2 and 19-7 (2 opponents/week) going into week 15.

In the 3rd, I was 6-7, and barely squeaked in as a #6 seed (though #3 power ranking).

I just won the Super Bowl with that #6 seed. I am in danger of losing both Super Bowl matchups with my dominant teams.

:wall:

Hey! Don't infringe on my copyright!

"It takes skill to get to the playoffs and luck to win them."

But I'm all in with ya! A collective 43 and 10 (two #1 and two #2 seeds and leading scorer in every league) and I will go 3-5 in these last two weeks, winning one SB, losing another and finishing 4th in the other two leagues. One of which I went 13-0 in the regular season and will still finish 4th.

Awesome.

300 mock draft? WTF? I usually do 5 and I can get a good gauge of how the draft will roll on draft day.

How create my own list of rankings on my thoughts and based off multiple sources, kind of get an average. And I've always done pretty well.

The mistake in my league is that it gives the waiver wire to the worst team in the league.

Therefore, you almost want to lose your first game or maybe the 2nd so you can get an awesome player who is now going to have a huge role because ofa week 1 or week 2 injury.

You just realize fantasy is almost all luck. I like head to head because in general, it usually pans out based off the total amount of points you scored all year. Sure there's always that one team who scored the most but had the most scored against. I've been there once, it sucks. Last year a 5-8 team rolled in the playoffs and won it all. It gives you an underdog type of feeling.

This year was actually the first time ever where the top 4 scoring teams grabbed the 4 playoff spots.

Come on, you love it, be honest. So you lost. This will Give you something to look forward to next year- to climb that mountain.

Yeah, I know I've won the championship back to back years so who am I to give you advice like this? But, I still remember the days when I was a loser like you. (Big grin)

After today, you just Pick yourself up and press forward and don't look back.

TM

Fantasy Football is exhilarating and brutal.

The best team often doesn't win it all.

6 tough leagues - 5 playoffs - 3 super bowls - 1 Title.

I am satisfied. I left no stone unturned. I gave it my all. The chips fell where they would.

• Like 1

What's the point of doing 300 mock drafts, tons of research, drafting players who ripped it up most of the season, earned the #1,2 seed, and earned high points to only lose to below avg teams first round of the playoffs?

Should I draft more average players next year and do no research? How bout go 6-7 so I can pick up all the studs off waiver wire so they dominate weeks 13-16? Do I draft all raiders, jags, bucs, and Vikings?

How do I draft or work my team so they are good when it counts? Make trades? I went 12-1, high points by 250 and lost first round and I might win 25 bucks. Then 10-3 high points 1 seed list to the 8 seed. Both low stake buy in so I'm only 5% annoyed. But what gives? It's pointless to do research and draft well only to lose early. Pretty lame if you ask me. Season is skill and pkayoffs are luck

Maybe you should retire from fantasy football or drink less coffee

They didn't give the Cheatriots the title after they went 18-0 did they? Nope: They let them go out there and choke like no team in professional sports has ever choked before.

Life isn't fair.

• Like 1

Life isn't fair.

This.

After so many seasons like this, I've sorta resigned myself to it. I expect it. Maybe it's self-fulling now. ;)

I dominate like few others all season, just to choke it the playoffs. #Everydamnyear

Where others only hope to make the playoffs, I expect that.

Sadly though, I still expect to win the playoffs. It just doesn't happen enough.

4 league, 4 playoffs, 2 SBs, 1 win.

Right on the percentages sure, but when you're favored and you lose to the likes of Kyle Frickin Orton it hurts a little. Not gonna lie.

But it's over. Time to relax until June/July and it all starts anew!!

It seemed like I had the luck of my lifetime this year. Drafted Demarco, DT, Sanders - team was rolling at 6-2 I didn't even need that Giants WR I picked up off the waiver wire on my bench.

Then I fell to 6-5, I was fuming and fussing. Not happy. But I made the playoffs at 7-6.

And the weird thing is I relaxed, stopped worrying, just enjoyed the playoffs. Kept the same lineup for 3 weeks, even with Demarco injured.

And that young Giants WR carried me to the championship. Almost single-handedly.

I don't know what the moral is. You win when you stop caring so much? Or OBJ is a diety?

They didn't give the Cheatriots the title after they went 18-0 did they? Nope: They let them go out there and choke like no team in professional sports has ever choked before.

Life isn't fair.

You must be talking about the Baltimore Colts, the first NFL team to lose to an AFL team in the SB.

Fanduel.

Good solution.

Winning some decent money yesterday sure made me care less for Rodgers tweaked calk, PT getting just 2 screens, Cam ignoring Olsen, Buffalo Def not showing up.

Because no matter what you delude yourself to believe...and I LOVE the "skill to win in the season, luck to win in the playoffs" numbskulls...you have no control over what takes place in the real game. It's overwhelmingly luck and doing 300 mocks does nothing but let you know what a bunch of other people who are going to rely on luck as well think.

Because no matter what you delude yourself to believe...and I LOVE the "skill to win in the season, luck to win in the playoffs" numbskulls...you have no control over what takes place in the real game. It's overwhelmingly luck and doing 300 mocks does nothing but let you know what a bunch of other people who are going to rely on luck as well think.

Sometimes it IS 'roll of the dice type' luck most of the time; flukey kind of stuff that makes no sense and no one could possibly predict it. Aaron Rodgers getting hurt on the 2nd series yesterday being the flukey type.

That being said, there are elements of the game that you just try and avoid. Teams with horrible coaching philosophies (K.C. and they're limiting of J. Charles at times, not starting Kelce, etc...) suspect QB play most of the time (Stafford therefore Calvin Johnson)...those are things you avoid if at all possible in the draft unless the value is too good to pass, etc...

I lost my championship on Robert Woods' garbage TD at the end of the game. So that was fun.

Yes, I'll be back next year :wall:

Fanduel.

- or DraftKings (no kicker required, extra flex)

if you love this "hobby", and you are not trying the dailys ... I suggest you jump in head first asap.

hth

Fantasy GM............Real Life GM.............its all the same. (basketball, football, hockey, Olympics, pro, college, or high school)

U assemble a team, U have a great season, U blow it in the playoffs. That's sports, and that's gambling. If u don't like it, don't play.

• Like 1

It's not luck, it's standard deviation.

Statistics estimate they do not guarantee.

Calling it luck means you feel entitled (only bad luck can beat you).

AKA an underhanded way to be selfish.

You don't even know what standard deviation is. That applies in no way to randomness of fantasy football.

• Like 2

I lost my championship on Robert Woods' garbage TD at the end of the game. So that was fun.

Yes, I'll be back next year :wall:

I'm not sure I would call this a "garbage" td. He scored with over a minute to play and this brought the Bills to within 2. If they recover the insides kick, they could win with a field goal.

Better term- a "late" td.

Sorry to be picky, but at the time I was very happy Bills scored to give them a chance to win at the end. It didn't happen.