Sign in to follow this  
Surfcaster

Is Herman Edwards a good Coach?

Well?? Is he?

Or is he just another tranvestite?

Because he seems to be the type of guy players like and rally behind, but he's fu*k up a 2 car funeral. :bandana:

but he's fu*k up a 2 car funeral

wtf is that supposed to mean?

yes he is a good coach because he can motivate and rally his players

he doesnt call plays as Martz or Reid does but thats the job of the OC so i dont fault him for that

there are parts of his game that need to be improved for sure but this guy is a great coach

compare him to a guy like Dungy, he looks like he is pacing the sidelines moping all game, Herm gets up in players faces and actually shows emotion during the games

as a Jet fan, i could not be happier about him as a HC

does need to work on clock management a little though

Herman Edwards is a very good coach. It's not his fault that Pennington and more importantly, Kevin Mawae are out for the season.

Whoever's fault it was last night, the play-calling was atrocious. Even if that pass to Chrebet at the end of the first half was caught, they shouldn't have called a TO...and they should have fought like the devil to get it back when the play was overturned. They were moving the chains and could have easily gotten a score, along with some momentum, going into the locker room.

:unsure:

I moved to NYC from the midwest, but still root for my hometown team. So I'm somewhat neutral, not rooting for or wishing ill to New York/New Jersey teams.

I've watched Herm from Day 1. He is a terrific motivator. You watch his press conference and you want to go run through a wall for the green and white. See him in the locker room and you're like "Dang, that man knows what he's talking about!".

He is perhaps the worst game coach I have ever seen. They have been through a series of offensive coordinators, and say what you will about Marktz, NOBODY manages their timeouts worse.

I think if he had a strong coordinator or assistant HC he'd be more effective on game day.

All that said, the bottom line is he has take a franchise with a sorry history to the playoffs 3 out of 4 years (soon to be 3/5), and once to the AFC Championship. I think he has done a more than adequate job squeezing effort and playmaking out of a group with distinct limitations.

He's not a HOFer but he's more than adequate.

I moved to NYC from the midwest, but still root for my hometown team. So I'm somewhat neutral, not rooting for or wishing ill to New York/New Jersey teams.

I've watched Herm from Day 1. He is a terrific motivator. You watch his press conference and you want to go run through a wall for the green and white. See him in the locker room and you're like "Dang, that man knows what he's talking about!".

He is perhaps the worst game coach I have ever seen. They have been through a series of offensive coordinators, and say what you will about Marktz, NOBODY manages their timeouts worse.

I think if he had a strong coordinator or assistant HC he'd be more effective on game day.

All that said, the bottom line is he has take a franchise with a sorry history to the playoffs 3 out of 4 years (soon to be 3/5), and once to the AFC Championship. I think he has done a more than adequate job squeezing effort and playmaking out of a group with distinct limitations.

solid assessment. he is certainly passionate and motivating...but man, i just get uncomfortable watching the game strategy play out.

Yes (as an assistant)

I believe he's one of the best in the league and I could care less for NY football. I hope they start trippin in him in New York because we'd take him in a heartbeat here in Houston.

damn you Capers :banana:

And any New York fans who thinks that he is not a good coach should have there head examined.

I think he's an excellent motivator, but not so great as a head coach. It is up to the head coach to hire coordinators that can do their job. The offensive side of the ball leaves something to the imagination in NY.

He hasn't had the best drafts or used his picks wisely either. Why the trade this year for Jolley? Why give up two number one picks a couple seasons ago for Robertson? Nugent so early in the draft?

I may be judging him unfairly though. I don't live in NY and do not know if he has control over the personell moves.

i cant believe i forgot to mention the dsicipline that he imparts on this team

look at what the Jets have done the last 4 years under Herm on the turn over and penalty front

they have been the leas tpenalized team and have had a solid turnover ratio

this year has been very uncharacteristic when it comes to both but that is a sign of a good coach when you are an easy top 3 each year for both penalties and take aways

He hasn't had the best drafts or used his picks wisely either. Why the trade this year for Jolley? Why give up two number one picks a couple seasons ago for Robertson? Nugent so early in the draft?

i think the NY media has influencd some of these picks a little

Robertson was drafted the year after they had a porous run D and Nugent after Brien ruined their shot at the AFC Championship game TWICE

Jolley was a bit odd ill admit but im not so sure that was Herms choice

i cant fault them on Robertson though, he has become a stud in the middle

In the playoffs last year he knelt before a field goal attempt after Brien just missed one. He made a long attempt even longer. We all know the result of that attempt.

As a Jets fan, I wish Woodie never bought the team. He has no clue that Herm sucks as a HC.

If they hadn't made the stupid trade for Jolley, they could've moved up a few slots and nabbed Aaron Rodgers. Not good drafting. That's probably on Bradway, though.

If they hadn't made the stupid trade for Jolley, they could've moved up a few slots and nabbed Aaron Rodgers. Not good drafting. That's probably on Bradway, though.

do you seriousthink they would have drafted Rodgers?

QB was obiously not high on their list of priorities this draft or you would have seen them make a play on someone later in the draft, to my knowledge they never really had their eye on any QB prospect

with Pennington ready to start, Fiedler as backup and Bollinger as #3, Rodgers would not have fit in at all

thats like Minnesota drafting Rodgers as they knew Cpepp would struggle this year

QB was obiously not high on their list of priorities this draft or you would have seen them make a play on someone later in the draft, to my knowledge they never really had their eye on any QB prospect

with Pennington ready to start, Fiedler as backup and Bollinger as #3, Rodgers would not have fit in at all

thats like Minnesota drafting Rodgers as they knew Cpepp would struggle this year

Or like drafting Deuce McAllister when you've got Ricky Williams. Or drafting Willis McGahee when you've got Travis Henry. Or drafting Larry Johnson when you've got Priest Holmes.

Much better idea to give away your first-round pick for a backup tight-end, though. Particularly when you have a stable of QB studs like the one you listed. Besides, what GM could possibly know that Pennington is injury-prone, or that Fiedler sucks, or that Bollinger sucks. He's only human, after all . . .

I'm selling Herm Edwards as a good coach.

Or like drafting Deuce McAllister when you've got Ricky Williams. Or drafting Willis McGahee when you've got Travis Henry. Or drafting Larry Johnson when you've got Priest Holmes.

Much better idea to give away your first-round pick for a backup tight-end, though. Particularly when you have a stable of QB studs like the one you listed. Besides, what GM could possibly know that Pennington is injury-prone, or that Fiedler sucks, or that Bollinger sucks. He's only human, after all . . .

RBs are not QBs

you name me one team that has a young, starting QB that has drafted a high profile QB as a back-up

Pennington was and IMO still seen as the future for the Jets higher ups

they still have plans for him to come back and start next year. being a fan i have to think they know what they are doing but i am skeptical about the whole Chad situation

you are very quick to say they all suck ass, well name me the teams that would love to have a guy like Fiedler as a back-up and name me one 3rd string QB that is any good......

the first list will be long, the second not so long

you are seriously misinformed about this

maybe you can go listen to Scooter or something, his posts are usually pretty awful but they are better than this crap

I have to say no. Herm is a "player's coach and well liked by his team. He is OK if you have a group of really good players with veteran leadership (which the Jets do not). He gets exposed when he has to make critical calls on game day and his game plans are sub par at best! I put Herm in the "loveable loser" catagory. The Jets will never win with him because they need a real game day coach to make up for their lack of talent!

RBs are not QBs

you name me one team that has a young, starting QB that has drafted a high profile QB as a back-up

Pennington was and IMO still seen as the future for the Jets higher ups

they still have plans for him to come back and start next year. being a fan i have to think they know what they are doing but i am skeptical about the whole Chad situation

you are very quick to say they all suck ass, well name me the teams that would love to have a guy like Fiedler as a back-up and name me one 3rd string QB that is any good......

the first list will be long, the second not so long

you are seriously misinformed about this

maybe you can go listen to Scooter or something, his posts are usually pretty awful but they are better than this crap

Nope-- I'm not misinformed at all. Pennington is injury-prone and likely done. Fiedler and Bollinger are useless. Doug Jolley is not worth a first-round pick.

Regarding Rodgers, I said the Jets "could've" done this. Whether they actually "would have" drafted Rodgers if they had been in a position to do so, I have no idea, but it doesn't change the larger point I was making---> trading the first-round pick for a backup tight-end was a stupid move. If you think it was a great personnel move, then maybe there's a job waiting for you in the Jets organization.

I suspect, though, that if the Packers called the Jets today, offering Aaron Rodgers for Doug Jolley, Terry Bradway would have some interest in taking the call.

(a jets fan's opinion...)

i think we can all agree that herm is a great motivational speaker and can get his team riled up. however, like any coach, herm is not unanimously regarded by jets fans or football fans in general, as being a good coach.

we can back and forth over this and that...and i will agree that some of his game management skills are awful. however, as was said last night during the mnf game, herm is among the best coaches when it comes to having his team:

1. commit few turnovers

2. commit few penalties

this to me, is a big par of what makes a good coach. the jets have been somewhat successful over the past few years, as herm as brought them to a few playoff appearances. there are certainly teams with a lot more talent that other coaches couldn't do the same for.

He is captain obvious I love when he gets interviewed at halftime and hsi response well we gotta move the ball on offense and stop them on defense lol no ya dont say Herm good strategy :(

lets see

starting QB-out

back up QB-out

starting Center-Out

back up RB-out

and now starting OLB-out

i would say hes a pretty good coach

can't help injuries

He is captain obvious I love when he gets interviewed at halftime and hsi response well we gotta move the ball on offense and stop them on defense lol no ya dont say Herm good strategy :rolleyes:

that's 95% of what any coach says at halftime...what did you expect him to do, reveal the gameplan and playbook so you, the viewer, would have the inside scoop? :thumbsdown:

Nope-- I'm not misinformed at all.  Pennington is injury-prone and likely done.  Fiedler and Bollinger are useless.  Doug Jolley is not worth a first-round pick.

Regarding Rodgers, I said the Jets "could've" done this.  Whether they actually "would have" drafted Rodgers if they had been in a position to do so, I have no idea, but it doesn't change the larger point I was making---> trading the first-round pick for a backup tight-end was a stupid move.  If you think it was a great personnel move, then maybe there's a job waiting for you in the Jets organization. 

I suspect, though, that if the Packers called the Jets today, offering Aaron Rodgers for Doug Jolley, Terry Bradway would have some interest in taking the call.

You know why you sound so dumb? Because even if they hadn't traded that 1st round pick for Jolley, you know who they would have taken? Justin Miller. He was targeted as a 1st round pick and he fell to them in the 2nd. So really, they just got an extra player out of it and if you watched the game against Tampa Bay, he had a good game. Right now, the offense is in shambles. How do you expect the guy to get the ball? After last night, I can tell that Bollinger has some game, but he isn't gonna be doing anything spectacular out there, or at least not from what I can see.

As for Herm, I love the guy as our coach. There's few that I would rather have leading my team. The Jets are 2-5 and in my mind, are still very much in it. They have been 2-5 before and still have overcome that to make the playoffs. The division is mediocre at best this year and they can very well pull it off again.

Don't talk crap unless you know what you're talking about.

He is not a good coach but at least out of the 10 coaches in the Nfl that need to be fired he's not the worst.

Top 10 coaches that need to be fired.

#1 Mike Tice (sucked all along and we new it)

#2 Dom Capers(hard choice between him and tice for #1)

#3 Mike Martz ( authors personal choice)

#4 Jim Hasllet (not spelled right) Katrina saved your job for the year

#5 Norv Turner (how many chances can one man get)

#6 Brian Billeck (offensive guru my butt)

#7 mike sherman (ask any true Pack fan)

#8 mike Nolan (never should off got a job to begin with)

#9 herm Edwards (won't get fired because the nfl needs afro american coaches)

#10 mike milarky (Blls coach) YOU ran Bledsoe out of town

Funny 5 out of the 10 coaches in the nfl first name is mike

Ramrock

You know why you sound so dumb? Because even if they hadn't traded that 1st round pick for Jolley, you know who they would have taken? Justin Miller. He was targeted as a 1st round pick and he fell to them in the 2nd. So really, they just got an extra player out of it and if you watched the game against Tampa Bay, he had a good game. Right now, the offense is in shambles. How do you expect the guy to get the ball? After last night, I can tell that Bollinger has some game, but he isn't gonna be doing anything spectacular out there, or at least not from what I can see.

I see there are a few very defensive Jets fans trolling this board. Personally, I'm not a fan and I couldn't care less what happens to that sh*tty-a*s team. But, again, if you Jets fans are happy with a trade which any objective observer would rightly ridicule, then enjoy. You get the product you deserve.

I think Edwards has been dealt a tough hand since he's been coach when it comes to the QB situation.

Pennington, coming out of Marshall, had an average arm at best but was football smart. After the shoulder surgery, the Jets should have been looking for another QB during training camp because that average arm went to well below average. Before the second shoulder injury, I was reading on this board if Pennington came back too early.

Testicullarverde has never been anything to brag about being there.

Fiedler, give me a break!

I hope the Jets get a chance to get a above average armed quarterback that is smart from the draft. If this happens, I give Edwards 2 years to develop that QB.

Since you're asking now, I'd say he's done a well above average job. How many teams get to the playoffs with the QBs he's had to work with.

Holmgren looked like a genius at GB with a young Favre.

Dungy looks like coach of the year with Manning.

Brady 3 Super bowls (nuff said).

He's the 3rd best coach in his division.

ETA: Look on the bright side Jets fans, you had Bill Belichik as coach for a day :thumbsdown:

as a jets fan, I am getting tired of him. As said here, great motivator, but not the brightest. Terrible time manager. Very conservative in both O and D. He got them places the last cfouple of years, but we had the talent to get there. A great coach would have took them a step beyond what the talent can get to. Time to move on if you ask me...

I think this is a good assessment of Edwards. He's a good coach but I don't see him being a championship level coach right now. While his players appear to play for him his ingame x and o ability is nothing special. The Jets are more often than not ready to play but it seems that if you can bump them away from what they like to do Edwards has a tough time recovering. This is only his first job so he can grow in this area but right now I don't see an Edwards team winning the Lombardi trophy until he improves in this area.

good motivator :(

bad X's and o's :(

atrocious clock management :cry:

If you can't run the game from a management standpoint, it doesn't matter how motivational you are.

Will the Jets win a Super Bowl under Edwards- not bloody likely.