Sign in to follow this  
GutterBoy

Satellite Radio

I'm thinking of buying XM radio, the Audiovox Xpress receiver is only $50, comes with the car kit. Then they have a boombox for $100. I miss listening to O&A, all other free radio is crap these days. I'm concerned about having wires all over my car. I might leave in a bit to buy it.

Thoughts? Concerns? Feedback?

Thanks in advance.

XM is cool and all, but $14 a month to listen to a radio sometimes is pretty whack.

Yeah I agree, but I also pay like $100/mo to watch TV. B)

You can listen to Sirius for free right now until wednesday

Of course the channels are limited it still gives you a taste. Having no commericals Rocks

Not sure how important this is to you, but I went with Sirius for the NFL access.

You can listen to Sirius for free right now until wednesday

Of course the channels are limited it still gives you a taste. Having no commericals Rocks

I did this with XM over the weekend, we had it playing on the computer in the kitchen all weekend, and I listened to O&A, Ron & Fez, and Carlin while doing stuff in my office. It was cool.

Not sure how important this is to you, but I went with Sirius for the NFL access.

It would be nice, but listening to play by play on the radio isn't a big draw for me. I'm just as happy getting scoring updates and commentary on ESPN radio.

I'm a Sirius investor but an XM subscriber. I bought the portable MyFi for my wife last year and never touched it. When Howard Stern ended his run in mid-Dec, I started borrowing her radio and getting back into O&A. I regret all the time I wasted on Stern's "whining" show. Opie & Anthony's new show is incredible. It's hilarious and their chemistry with each other and in-studio comedians is unparralled. And the show reaches a creative peak when they rip on Stern for his "I invented that" crap and the soon-to-be-famous "Howie Math" (new subscribers to Sirius means that it's all my fans so 100% of new subscribers = Stern listeners).

I don't even bother with many of the other channels. There are two comedy stations worth listening to, but I usually just listen to recorded parts of the O&A program.

I never thought this type of thing would be worth paying for, but I would spend the $13/mo. just for their show.

Incidentally, the new portable unit is coming out soon: It's much smaller than the MyFi and will have MP3 playback capabilities, but will be a bit pricey when it first comes out.

as long as I get FSR at night locally i'm happy :doublethumbsup:

That's the only thing I wanted XM for, but I stopped tossing newspapers so I sleep overnight now.

Go with Sirius, not XM.

XM has a deal with Clear Channel. They've already added four commercial radio stations.

Sirius is 100% commercial free. (other than national feeds like ESPN, ABC News, ect.)

Sirius has Stern, NFL, and, starting next year, Nascar.

Go with Sirius, not XM.

XM has a deal with Clear Channel. They've already added four commercial radio stations.

Sirius is 100% commercial free. (other than national feeds like ESPN, ABC News, ect.)

Not true. Stern has commercials (although not as many as terrestrial radio).

Not true. Stern has commercials (although not as many as terrestrial radio).

Yes, Stern does have commercials, but only about five minutes per hour. So does Bubba the Love Sponge.

The music channels are the things that are 100% commercial free.

What is FSR?

Fox Sports Radio

I called into an overnight show once or twice the year the Pistons won and gettinhuge recognized me since I used thedanzone as my callin name.

Go with Sirius, not XM.

I do not like Stern or Nascar, and see no need to listen to the NFL on the radio. :doublethumbsup:

Yes, Stern does have commercials, but only about five minutes per hour. So does Bubba the Love Sponge.

The music channels are the things that are 100% commercial free.

And Opie & Anthony only have 3-5 minute commercial breaks (usually after going non-stop for 60-90 minutes). Same with the comedy channels (maybe one brief break per hour). Most music channels on XM are 100% commercial free as advertised.

And Opie & Anthony only have 3-5 minute commercial breaks (usually after going non-stop for 60-90 minutes). Same with the comedy channels (maybe one brief break per hour). Most music channels on XM are 100% commercial free as advertised.

True.

I'm a Sirius investor but an XM subscriber.

Same here. I've got a Myfi & had only used it in the car until Sunday morning. I used it on my morning bike ride & it was great! I got this bracket from myradiostore.com. Surprisingly, I didn't need the extra antenna, the builit in one worked fine.

Fox Sports Radio

I called into an overnight show once or twice the year the Pistons won and gettinhuge recognized me since I used thedanzone as my callin name.

you always seemed to get in during the 'working man's segment'

Maller has been guest hosting in the afternoons, 3-7 lately. he was on last night tho, it was a great show.

I find the music selection on Sirius to be very repetitive and not the greatest to begin with...maybe I'm just picky?

It doesn't really matter though as I rarely turn it away from NFL radio or Stern.

Wires all over the car aren't really a concern depending on where you put it. I have an '03 Dodge Dakota and I put the unit underneath the dash (where there would normally be an ashtray), its very easily accesible and readable where it is and the guy that installed it harnassed all the wires together and ran them in behind the dash. You can't see a thing.

I have Sirius and love it. The comedy channels and the NFL channel are worth it to me.

I could never go back.

I have Sirius and love it. The comedy channels and the NFL channel are worth it to me.

I could never go back.

I've been waiting to hear you on Raw Dog...what gives? :ninja:

I've been waiting to hear you on Raw Dog...what gives? :doh:

I don't know. :ninja:

I have tried both XM and Sirius. I had XM come with my car last summer and I tried the free 3 months. I liked the music, but the talk radio was a little lacking. I had heard O&A back in Worcester in their original incarnation and I did not find their new material to be anything special. Basically it was "lowest common denominator" stuff and nothing to keep my attention for any period of time.

I got Sirius this winter during NFL season and have kept it since. I like the music about as much as XM. I don't think that I can get beyond 5 stations or so on each of them without finding a song that I will listen to. However, I find Sirius to have better stuff on talk radio (Stern, Bubba the Love Sponge, NFL radio, and now Playboy) than XM. After trying them both out, I would pay for Sirius (I do now) and I would not pay for XM (I chose not to).

Both are far better than free radio.

I'm thinking of buying XM radio, the Audiovox Xpress receiver is only $50, comes with the car kit. Then they have a boombox for $100. I miss listening to O&A, all other free radio is crap these days. I'm concerned about having wires all over my car. I might leave in a bit to buy it.

Thoughts? Concerns? Feedback?

Thanks in advance.

God you listen to Opie and Anthony? They suck!

Get Sirius - better programming than XM.

sirius has better music, sports, comedy channels, random talk shows, and Howard Stern. Why anyone would spend money on XM is beyond me.

God you listen to Opie and Anthony? They suck!

Get Sirius - better programming than XM.

You're delusional. Opie & Anthony were better than Stern when they were at WNEW. Now that they are on satellite, there is no comparison. O&A are the innovators while Stern either presents their material as his own or re-records his old bits and considers it "cutting edge".

O&A have an actual chemistry and care about their fans. Stern has felt forced for about 10 years now, even with the addition of Artie Lange.

You know my thoughts on why I went with Sirius, but I would like to point out that the REAL advantage (to me) isn't on Sunday, but throughout the week. Instead of having to deal with listening to sports talk about things that aren't intesesting, you get to listen to nothing but NFL.

Sirius is my satellite radio of choice and I usually sit on the NFL Channel, ESPN, Area 33, or 80's.

I have them both and I can tell you that everyone who said Sirius has better music than XM is an idiot. Better music? Do they have some secret stash? They both pluck from the same tree.

The one advantage Sirius DOES have is they break the genres down a little better than XM. Other than that, they are the same.

You're delusional. Opie & Anthony were better than Stern when they were at WNEW. Now that they are on satellite, there is no comparison. O&A are the innovators while Stern either presents their material as his own or re-records his old bits and considers it "cutting edge".

O&A have an actual chemistry and care about their fans. Stern has felt forced for about 10 years now, even with the addition of Artie Lange.

Good one :thumbsup:

Good one :sleep:

Yeah, that snooze icon works great when you have no legitimate response and you know you're wrong. Nice going!

Yeah, that snooze icon works great when you have no legitimate response and you know you're wrong. Nice going!

It's personal preference and pure fabrication on your part. Nice job. :sleep:

Opie and Anthony blow....how much money did they sign for on XM?.....yah, peanuts...they went to XM and XM tried to charge a $ 1 premium for them and that went over like a turd in a pool...

now I have heard that if you want to cancel XM, they will let you go as low as $ 3 per month to subscribe....why would I pay $ 12.95 per month, when the next guy is paying $3 per month.

Howard Rules...get over it.

Thanks, but I already know that IMO, O&A > Stern, and Bubba the love sponge is a hack. Therefore, for me, the choice is pretty clear, XM > Sirius. I would love to have the NFL station, but I'm hoping the two ESPN stations plus the sporting news station fills in the gaps.

Thanks, but I already know that IMO, O&A > Stern, and Bubba the love sponge is a hack. Therefore, for me, the choice is pretty clear, XM > Sirius.

That's one reason why I went XM (as you already know - repeating for the fft crowd). I like O&A a lot more than current Stern (where Artie is the only saving grace) and I've been hearing some clips of Bubba who indeed sounds like a hick and a hack. My friends that have Sirius won't listen to him and I don't think I'd listen to him even if I had the opportunity.

The NFL station would be great and is the only reason why I thought about getting Sirius. I previewed both XM and Sirius stations before buying and thought they were roughly the same in music & comedy.

The main difference for me were the receivers that XM offers. I wanted something that offered live programming on a portable device that could also record stuff. I've had the XM MyFi for a while now and I can't live without it. I take the thing everywhere and get good->great reception. Plus I always have some recorded content just in case I'm in a mountainous area or inside at the gym or something.