Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

NFL Draft Weekend Team Thread: Green Bay Packers

With the second pick in the 2006 NFL draft, the Green Bay Packers select Reggie Bush, running back, the University of Southern California

Things I want for (four months after) Christmas:

1) AJ Hawk

2) Denver to trade Lelie to the Packers (for Walker)

3) Detroit to trade Charles Rogers to the Packers (for peanuts)

4) One of the top RBs not named White to fall to the 2nd round so that Packers can draft him.

With linebacker being so deep this year I wouldn't mind them taking Davis in the 1st and then a LB later.

With linebacker being so deep this year I wouldn't mind them taking Davis in the 1st and then a LB later.

it may also keep Farve around another 2 years :D

But isn't TE pretty deep also, with Mercedes Lewis, and Leonard Pope?

There is a rumor on a Packers chat site that says the Saints have agreed to trade the #2 pick to GB for #5 & Walker. Probably more to the deal, maybe Stallworth is involved.

As I said this is a rumor, but if the Packers could add Bush or Mario and get Stallworth in the deal, pick up a LB in the 2nd and interior offensive line help later in the draft they have improved there team immensely this offseason.

I just hope that if they do trade Javon they get good value for him.

Granted, the Packers don't have a problems with ticket sales, but I could see how they might want to fill the void of Favre's departure with another electrifying offensive player.

Reggie Bush would fill that role quite nicely me thinks.

if the pack somehow pulls off walker and the #5 for a shot at bush thompson should be praised as the new messiah in GB...

GB needs Vernon Davis - they have 3 RBs in Gado, Davenpoop, and Green

they just resigned Poop and Green - so do they cut one of them? pt have 4 RBs on the Roster with Gado the only one playing Special Teams? -- I think Poop returns kicks, but not much more.

...none of which are signed through 2007.

they just resigned Poop and Green - so do they cut one of them? pt have 4 RBs on the Roster with Gado the only one playing Special Teams? -- I think Poop returns kicks, but not much more.

None of those RBs are Reggie Bush though.

And the contracts of Green and Poop seem pretty easy to cut ties with...probably not with Green...but Najeh would be gone IMO.

And Najeh does not need to be on special teams anyway...its where he generally gets hurt.

...none of which are signed through 2007.

i know poop and green are one yr gigs... but I didnt know what Gado's deal was. THX

Cmon Pack.....make a move for Bush!!

I think that same thought every time I go out on the town :blink:

There is a rumor on a Packers chat site that says the Saints have agreed to trade the #2 pick to GB for #5 & Walker. Probably more to the deal, maybe Stallworth is involved.

As I said this is a rumor, but if the Packers could add Bush or Mario and get Stallworth in the deal, pick up a LB in the 2nd and interior offensive line help later in the draft they have improved there team immensely this offseason.

I just hope that if they do trade Javon they get good value for him.

Personally, I see Walker + #5 for Bush as good value. Chances of them getting good value for Walker at this point are kinda slim.

Am I the only football fan in the world who actually does not want Reggie Bush? Think about it. A huge contract and he only touches the ball 10-15 times a game in COLLEGE (not counting K and P returns which he won't do in the NFL). He coundn't keep man-boobs L White off the field. I see him as a Westy type in the NFL and I want a first round pick who is on the field all the time. I want Hawk or Davis.

To trade up for him would be a huge mistake IMHO.

Am I the only football fan in the world who actually does not want Reggie Bush? Think about it. A huge contract and he only touches the ball 10-15 times a game in COLLEGE (not counting K and P returns which he won't do in the NFL). He coundn't keep man-boobs L White off the field. I see him as a Westy type in the NFL and I want a first round pick who is on the field all the time. I want Hawk or Davis.

C'mon, it would be fun! :clap:

Your mistake is viewing Bush as a Westy type. He isn't. He is much much better.

Obviously I disagree. Only time will tell.

Don't take offense, but I hope we land him, and I hope you are wrong about him.... <_<

Defense wins championships. Dream scenario would have the Packers trading down (maybe with Oakland so they get the QB they desire?), getting an extra pick and selecting Hawk. Modern athletes don't like small-town Green Bay; Hawk is a throw-back who'd revel in the legacy of Ray Nitschke. He'd become the face of the Packers the same way Urlacher has with the Bears! The Packers "need" A.J. Hawk...

On the flip side, how many championships has Tony G led the Chiefs to? Jeremy Shockey? Kellen Winslow the Elder? C'mon, elite TE's rarely lead they team to titles! D-Fense D-Fense D-Fense!

Word is the Packers are trying to trade #5, Javon Walker and a 3rd round pick to the Saints for the rights to draft Reggie Bush! :rolleyes:

I heard this on 1510 AM sports radio.

Word is the Packers are trying to trade #5, Javon Walker and a 3rd round pick to the Saints for the rights to draft Reggie Bush! :rolleyes:

That seems like an awful lot to give up, doesn't it?

The flip side is, I think they can land a solid starting LB in round 2. I just think that's steep for Bush.

That seems like an awful lot to give up, doesn't it?

The flip side is, I think they can land a solid starting LB in round 2. I just think that's steep for Bush.

I think it's too much considering we have so many holes to fill yes.

I just think that's steep for Bush.

:P

I don't mind.

I've given up far more for a chance at Bush, personally.

The Packers have proven in recent history that they can get pro-bowl OL outside the first round. Tauch (7th) Rivera (6th), Wahle (supplemental) and Flanagan (3rd)....

The Packers can take Mandarich over Sanders a different year. :clap:

Modern athletes don't like small-town Green Bay

On the flip side, how many championships has Tony G led the Chiefs to? Jeremy Shockey? Kellen Winslow the Elder? C'mon, elite TE's rarely lead they team to titles! D-Fense D-Fense D-Fense!

Link about modern athletes?

Modern athletes do not live in the towns they play ball in for more than the season. They go home.

The thing is...there is so much depth at LB in this draft that it seems better to get an offensive weapon at 5 and go LB later.

Word is the Packers are trying to trade #5, Javon Walker and a 3rd round pick to the Saints for the rights to draft Reggie Bush! :clap:

When did you hear it...word this morning already is that the Saints declined and are most likely going to take Bush.

Modern athletes do not live in the towns they play ball in for more than the season. They go home.

The thing is...there is so much depth at LB in this draft that it seems better to get an offensive weapon at 5 and go LB later.

When did you hear it...word this morning already is that the Saints declined and are most likely going to take Bush.

It boils down to would you rather have Hawk and lets say Pope or V Davis and let say Q Jackson?

I heard it about an hour ago.

Link showing modern athletes do not live in the towns they play ball in? :wacko:

The point has been made in several articles that Hawk has a sense of football history and wouldn't be "out of place" in a city the size of Green Bay. With all the bad publicity the Packers have been getting lately in the "player relatiions department", it'd be a bonus to get a need player who could also be the new face of the team. JMHO.

It's also my humble opinion that highly-skilled TEs are a luxury and not a necessity. How many championships did Kellen Winslow, Sr. win? Gonzo? Shockey?

What round was Antonio Gates drafted in?