Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

NFL Draft Weekend Team Thread: Green Bay Packers

The biggest complaint I'm seeing from Packer fans is passing on the chance to go ahead and take Chad Jackson themselves. Well, I'm sorry while he may wind up being a solid player for someone someday, his skill set does not match with Green Bay. TT knows what Sherman never could figure out. Smurfs and guys whose best traits are blazing speed do not thrive in Green Bay. Think Ahmad Carrol. Why, November and December in the NFC North that's why. Sure a guy like Jackson might help us win a game in the Metrodome, but he'd disappear at Lambeau, Soldier Field and anywhere else where the track slows down as winter sets in. Notice the Pack started to fare better in Minneaplois under Sherman but we were losing at home suddenly? Meanwhile under Wolf we never could crack the dome jinx, but we were built for where it mattered...Lambeau.

Check out Chad Jackson's strengths and weaknesses...

Strengths- body control, downfield threat, speed

Weaknesses- blocking ability, route-running skills

Those weaknesses are the exact primary needs of a west coast offense WR and especially one that expects to hold up on bad turf. And while speed and downfield ability is great to have in a WR it is always negated in bad weather. Sherman liked to throw it up for grabs and attack downfield, that's why Walker had success. But it also had a lot to do with Favre's high INT total. Under MM, were going back to short, crisp routes where Favre's completion % will rise and INT rate will drop back to respectability. Sherman would have taken Jackson. TT and MM know he doesn't fit true Green Bay Packer, west coast, grind it out, and get dirty football. If we played our home games in a dome, I'd be all over picking a guy like Jackson. His strengths just would be negated at Lambeau while his weaknesses are exactly what GB needs in a WR.

Not having guys like Jackson might have been the primary reason why we couldn't win at Dallas, St. Louis, or Minny in the mid 90's. But at the same time, having a team built for Lambeau, got us to two Super Bowls in the mid 90's.

Great Assessment... I agree totally... I actually was glad they passed on him... It's a weak WR crop so you have to go with the best fit, not biggest names... And GB late in the year is BRUTAL. Love the guy from the North Pole... that's classic.

So......................who are we looking at for #104 and #109?

One of these guys would be super: We could have our pick of two of these:

Ko Simpson South Carolina S

Max Jean-Gilles Georgia OG

Alan Zemaitis Penn State CB

Gabe Watson Michigan DT

Demetrius Williams Oregon WR

Victor Adeyanju Indiana DE

Greg Eslinger Minnesota C

Jeff Webb San Diego State WR

Will Blackmon Boston College CB

Jerome Harrison Washington St RB

Omar Jacobs Bowling Green QB

Mark Anderson Alabama DE

Or one of these guys a little later

Lawrence Vickers Colorado FB

Jonathan Orr Wisconsin WR

Jesse Mahelona Tennessee DT

Matt Bernstein Wisconsin FB

Marcus Vick in the seventh?

Well, I wasn't able to stay up for the 3rd round (living in England), but I see that Day 1 went pretty much the way I was expecting and hoping it would. I predicted in a couple of other threads that we'd take Hawk, likely trade down for more picks and pick up a G and WR/TE in that order. And then take LB's and G's with the following picks. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Packers take a QB in the 4th today. I don't see them taking Vick with his character issues. He's not the type of person they want in Green Bay. Personally, I don't want him on the team, but I don't make that call.

I agree that the Packers had a great day today. John Clayton's a moron. :sleep: It's funny how the pundits would rather see teams go with the 'flashy' player, rather than the player that makes sense for the team.

John Clayton says the Packers are the 4th biggest loser so far in the draft, right behind the Buffalo Bills.

LINK

It's obvious Clayton has no idea what the Packers are trying to accomplish with this draft. We're building for the future here, not trying to make one last run with Brett at QB. Oh well. I typically like Clayton, but he's missing the point, here, I think.

He also seems to have a bias toward teams that made aggressive moves to improve their offense. It's nice that Arizona has all kinds of offense, but who's going to play defense? They already had a potent offense.

Tennessee took a QB who many believe has a game that will not work in the pros, and a RB with character issues, and a questionable work ethic. Yet he seems them as winners. :bench:

I guess we'll find out.

So......................who are we looking at for #104 and #109?

One of these guys would be super: We could have our pick of two of these:

Ko Simpson South Carolina S

Max Jean-Gilles Georgia OG

Alan Zemaitis Penn State CB

Gabe Watson Michigan DT

Demetrius Williams Oregon WR

Victor Adeyanju Indiana DE

Greg Eslinger Minnesota C

Jeff Webb San Diego State WR

Will Blackmon Boston College CB

Jerome Harrison Washington St RB

Omar Jacobs Bowling Green QB

Mark Anderson Alabama DE

Or one of these guys a little later

Lawrence Vickers Colorado FB

Jonathan Orr Wisconsin WR

Jesse Mahelona Tennessee DT

Matt Bernstein Wisconsin FB

Marcus Vick in the seventh?

I think today you will see another WR, a few DEs and DBs, maybe more OL. Possibly the kicker out of Memphis.

From that list I like Orr and the DB from Penn State.

Mahelona could be a beast and a steal in this draft but DT is not a huge need.

It's obvious Clayton has no idea what the Packers are trying to accomplish with this draft. We're building for the future here, not trying to make one last run with Brett at QB. Oh well. I typically like Clayton, but he's missing the point, here, I think.

He also seems to have a bias toward teams that made aggressive moves to improve their offense. It's nice that Arizona has all kinds of offense, but who's going to play defense? They already had a potent offense.

Tennessee took a QB who many believe has a game that will not work in the pros, and a RB with character issues, and a questionable work ethic. Yet he seems them as winners. :thumbsup:

I guess we'll find out.

Agreed on some things.

As for Tennessee...Young is the higher risk/high reward kind of guy. And Bud wanted to stick it to Houston as well for not taking him (its not all of the decision...but it will sure make him smile when VY comes into Houston and whips them...especially if he avoids Mario well)

White...Chow most likely knows what he is getting there...and at that point in the draft you have to take the guy.

I would definitely love to see the Pack nab Will Blackmon. I think shuffling around on offense and defense really hurt him at BC. He has the size to play safety and corner, and we have the luxury of letting him develop behind veterans. He is going to be a starter in the NFL.

I missed all of day 1, as I was at a Regional Track meet in Odessa. I have to say I am thrilled the pack passes on leinart and grabbed Hawk. I wish they would have stayed put and taken Jackson, but I am willing to see what the young man out of western Michigan can do. The guard out of Boise kind of suprised me, but again, I'm in a wait and see mode. Hodge was huge where taken, and made me sleep well. Clayton is loosing it. I used to respect his ability to break news, but find his attempt at analysis is a joke. He should stick at what he is good at (being a mole). I would love to see the Pack land another O-lineman today. (Giles) I think the Mephis kicker is essential. Overall i think day 1 was good for a change!! :thumbsup:

Yet another trade down. 109 for Philly's 115 and 185. Still wheeling and dealing and stockpiling picks.

30.3 yards a KO return, I like the Rodgers pick. Don't need him to step in as a WR right away, he should really help the return game.

30.3 yards a KO return, I like the Rodgers pick. Don't need him to step in as a WR right away, he should really help the return game.

That's certainly an area of need.

I would definitely love to see the Pack nab Will Blackmon. I think shuffling around on offense and defense really hurt him at BC. He has the size to play safety and corner, and we have the luxury of letting him develop behind veterans. He is going to be a starter in the NFL.

:D :P :cheers: :doublethumbsup:

Well I hope the Pack uses him as a CB/S, and not his listed position of WR. He showed flashes of greatness on D early in his career, and was moved to WR due to a horrid lack of depth at the position for BC.

That 40 time is scary.

And not in a good way. :banana:

That 40 time is scary.

And not in a good way. :banana:

So was Anquan Boldins, who many are comparing him too (not me).

What's up with the selection of Isaac Sowell, OT / Indiana? I've been at church so I didn't see or hear any analysis, but the Scout's Inc assessment had virtually nothing good to say about him. They finished with, "will not be drafted but should be a priority free agent". And we took him in the high fourth? :banana:

I guess that kinda sums up my thoughts on this draft for the Packers. When I draft my fantasy teams, I'm constantly gauging who I need to take now and who I should be able to get a round later. I'm sure TT knows what he's doing, but both his drafts thus far have left me thinking the "opportunity cost" to acquire a certain player was "out of whack". For instance; it doesn't matter that Nick Collins proved himself worthy of a second round selection; he could have been had in the third and we could have nabbed another "contributor" with the selection used on Collins.

I'm also not a big fan of continually trading down to acquire additional fifth & sixth round draft picks. I know Wolf used to turn those into gold (Wahle, Rivera, Bryce Paup, etc.), but TT is not Ron Wolf and none of last year's late rounders were worth a crap (Wells, Montgomery, Fatass OG from MSU). I'd prefer they stand pat and take their third rounder where it falls...

Of course I could be wrong, but if I am I'll simply claim to be on the other side of the issue. :banana: Kinda like ShoNuff saying he loved the Hawk pick after he argued for weeks it should be Vernon Davis. Link? :doublethumbsup:

What's up with the selection of Isaac Sowell, OT / Indiana? I've been at church so I didn't see or hear any analysis, but the Scout's Inc assessment had virtually nothing good to say about him. They finished with, "will not be drafted but should be a priority free agent". And we took him in the high fourth? <_<

Then it should make you happy that it was the Browns that took him, not the pack. 112 Cleveland Browns

Isaac Sowells OL Ind.

Then it should make you happy that it was the Browns that took him, not the pack. 112 Cleveland Browns

Isaac Sowells OL Ind.

Excellent! I'm 99.9% certaiin the on-line ESPN draft board had him as a Packer pick; it's been hard to keep track with all the trading TT had done! Also, <mybad> <_<

Ingle Martin - Fit's the mold of exactly what the Pack seem to be looking for. Quick release, can avoid the blitz, smart guy, can make plays on the move, etc.

I love that this team seems to have a clear sense of direction. They are laser focused on a type of player for each position, they are building with character guys, and they are taking players that really grade out well. When the Shermanator drafted, I never had a sense of what they were looking for in a player or what direction he was taking the team. Consequently, it seemed they never laid out a clear direction for the team. As a fan, this has been a great weekend in that we've been able to get a crystaline picture of what this team is going to be in the coming years. A simple solid foundation for success is being built. A simple solid foundation that is easily communicated to all concerned. The competition for spots on this team is going to be fierce and it will be all the better for it. With the exception of Favre, I get the feeling that no position guaranteed. This is a new attitude. I love it. This really is pretty fun to watch.

Love the Ingle Martin pick. Love it. The guy has a lot of potential, and will need some time. I like it for a little competition for Rodgers once the Favre era is done.

Is Blackmon going to stay at DB or play WR?

Love the Ingle Martin pick. Love it. The guy has a lot of potential, and will need some time. I like it for a little competition for Rodgers once the Favre era is done.

Is Blackmon going to stay at DB or play WR?

packers.com has him listed as a corner. nfl.com has him as wr. I bet they see him on D.

Excellent! I'm 99.9% certaiin the on-line ESPN draft board had him as a Packer pick; it's been hard to keep track with all the trading TT had done! Also, <mybad> :mad:

Check that; the ESPN draft board still has him as a Packer selection.

15(112) Green Bay (from Cleveland from Atlanta) Isaac Sowells OT INDIANA

Is he or isn't he?

Check that; the ESPN draft board still has him as a Packer selection.

Is he or isn't he?

He went to Cleveland from Atlanta.

Pick 165:

Tony Moll | Offensive Tackle | Nevada | 6'4" - 300 lbs.

Nevada 2004: Was switched to offensive line in the spring and is expected to make an impact as a starting tackle in 2005. Started two games in 2004 as the second tight end and played in all 12. Caught five balls for 40 yards and two touchdowns, a four yarder vs. Sac State and a five yarder vs. Tulsa. His long was a 21-yarder vs. Buffalo and added an 11-yard reception vs. Boise State.

2003: Started in 11 games in 2003 and had 67 yards on six catches. He also caught two touchdowns which tied him with six other receivers for most TD's for a receiver. Best game was against San Jose State with three catches for 37 yards.

Nevada 2002: Played as a back up tight end and special teams player.

Nevada 2001: Red-shirted. Was voted Most Improved Offensive Lineman/Tight End in 2002 spring practice.

High School: A versatile athlete for his size, was a three-sport athlete for four years at Sonoma Valley High School. He was selected first-team, all-league at defensive end and at tight end, in addition to being named All-Redwood Empire at defensive end. As well as being an accomplished athlete, Tony received the "Press Democrat Youth Service Award" scholarship for outstanding Sonoma County High seniors. Tony's dad coached former Wolf Pack great Mark McVeigh.

Personal: Born 8/23/83. Parents are Glenn and Gina Moll. Majoring in Secondary Education.

Bio courtesy of University of Nevada

I am happy with day one, but in day two I have a couple critcisms.

1. WHy are we so afraid of Wisconsin players? Jonathor Orr would have made sense. Matt Bernstein?

2. I like Blackmon pick, maybe Ingle, but the others are ???

3. Eslinger didnt go until #198 overall, what happened? A sixth round investment wouldnt have been bad for this guy. COuld have had Jeff Webb WR or Eslinger instead of Culver

4. Our running backs must be looking excellent, major medical breakthough because WTF?

I am happy with day one, but in day two I have a couple critcisms.

1. WHy are we so afraid of Wisconsin players? Jonathor Orr would have made sense. Matt Bernstein?

2. I like Blackmon pick, maybe Ingle, but the others are ???

3. Eslinger didnt go until #198 overall, what happened? A sixth round investment wouldnt have been bad for this guy. COuld have had Jeff Webb WR or Eslinger instead of Culver

4. Our running backs must be looking excellent, major medical breakthough because WTF?

I agree with Wisconsin PLayers. Maybe TT thinks he will get dogged for making a homer pick?

Samkon Gado to the rescue! :-)

Dave Tollefson | Defensive End | Northwest Missouri State | 6'4" - 255 lbs.

OVERVIEW

Tollefson is a vastly underrated talent who had a banner senior season that he capped by excelling in the 2006 Hula Bowl in front of a national audience. It was a long road that took David to the Bearcats. He was an outside linebacker at Los Medanos Community College, but then spent three years away from the game due to shoulder and foot injuries, in addition to joining the work force. He went on to set the Bearcats' season-record for quarterback sacks and fell just short of the school's career-record.

David was a two-time All-League and All-City selection as a linebacker at Ygnacio Valley High School. He was also named to the Contra Costa All-Star team. He then spent the 1999-2000 season as a linebacker at Medanos College.

Tollefson sat out the 2001 season after undergoing right shoulder surgery. He had further surgery on that shoulder in 2002 and spent the year in the work force. David then enrolled at Northwest Missouri in 2003, but was granted a medical hardship after fracturing his right foot in August camp.

In 2004, Tollefson started thirteen games at right defensive end. He earned second-team All-Mid America Intercollegiate Athletic Association honors, as he posted 48 tackles (19 solos) with 8.5 sacks and thirteen stops behind the line of scrimmage. He also deflected two passes, caused a fumble and recovered another.

Tollefson was a consensus All-American first-team selection, adding All-MIAA first-team and Defensive MVP honors in 2005. He was a finalist for the Gene Upshaw Award (Division II's top lineman) and set a school season-record with 12.5 sacks. He added 58 tackles (38 solos) with 16.5 stops for losses and five pressures. He also caused a fumble, blocked one kick and deflected four passes.

In 26 games at Northwest Missouri, he posted 106 tackles (47 solos) and ranks second in school history with 21 sacks for minus 129 yards. He added 29.5 stops for losses of 151 yards, five pressures and six pass break-ups. He caused two fumbles, recovered another and blocked one kick.

CAREER NOTES

Registered 12.5 quarterback sacks in 2005, breaking the school season-record of 11.5 by Matt Uhde in 1995...His 21 career sacks rank behind Erik Peterson (21.5, 1989-91) on the school's all-time record list...His 16.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage in 2005 rank fifth on the Bearcats' season-record chart behind Jim Smith (17 in 1982), Adam Long (18 in 2004), Tony Floyd (20 in 1984) and Charlie White (26 in 1981)...His 29.5 stops for losses rank eighth on Northwest Missouri's career-record list.

2005 SEASON

Earned All-American first-team honors from The NFL Draft Report, Daktronics and American Football Coaches Association...All-Mid American Intercollegiate Athletic Association first-team and was named the league's Defensive MVP...Finalist for the Gene Upshaw Award, given to the best lineman in the small college ranks...Also named to the All-Southwest Region team...Started fourteen games at right defensive end, recording 58 tackles (38 solos) with a team-high 16.5 stops for losses of 83 yards and five quarterback pressures...Set a school season-record and ranked 13 th in the nation with 12.5 sacks for minus 75 yards...Caused a fumble, blocked a kick and deflected four passes.

2004 SEASON

All-MIAA second-team choice in his first year at Northwest Missouri...Started twelve games at right defensive end...Recorded 48 tackles (19 solos) with 8.5 sacks for minus 54 yards and thirteen stops for losses of 68 yards...His 8.5 sacks led the team and rank fourth on the school's season-record list, topped only by his own 12.5 sacks in 2005 and by Matt Uhde (11.5 in 1995) and Erik Peterson (9 in 1990)...Caused and recovered a fumble...Had a pair of pass deflections...Sat out the Southwest Baptist game with a right shoulder sprain.

2003 SEASON

Enrolled at Northwest Missouri, but did not play...Granted a medical hardship after suffering a broken bone in his right foot in August camp.

BEFORE NORTHWEST MISSOURI STATE

Spent the 2002 season in the work force, undergoing surgery on his right shoulder to clean up debris...Missed the 2001 season due to right shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum...Played linebacker during the 1999-2000 seasons at Los Medanos Community College.

CAMPUS AGILITY TESTS

4.72 in the 40-yard dash...410-pound bench press...Bench presses 225 pounds 27 times... 665-pound squat...380-pound hang clean...34.5-inch vertical jump...9'6" broad jump...4.48 20-yard shuttle...11.72 60-yard shuttle...6.95 three-cone drill...32

Well I hope the Pack uses him as a CB/S, and not his listed position of WR. He showed flashes of greatness on D early in his career, and was moved to WR due to a horrid lack of depth at the position for BC.

From KFFL...

Packers | Team projecting Blackmon as a defensive back

Sun, 30 Apr 2006 11:27:50 -0700

Mike Vandermause, of PackersNews.com, reports the Green Bay Packers are projecting fourth-round draft pick CB/WR Will Blackmon (Boston College) as a defensive back. He started at cornerback for Boston College before shifting to wide receiver as a senior. Scouts rated him a mid-round pick based on his athleticism and return ability. He is known for his blazing speed and game-breaking ability as a return specialist.

no kicker in all of those picks? i found that interesting. is cundiff going to be the guy?

no kicker in all of those picks? i found that interesting. is cundiff going to be the guy?

Possibly. Supposedly they had the kid from Memphis in and were not impressed with him saying the guys they had already looked better...and that they were not planning on drafting K.

I see no reason to EVER draft a K or a P for that matter. It's funny how they both seem to get better after getting cut by someone. Examples are Longwell and Rackers. I am guessing with K's it just takes a while to get used to kicking off grass/field turf rather than a tee.

With P's, it seems that serviable vets are always out there. And lot's of places to find "flyers" like the CFL or NFLE.

I hated the Sander pick. One of the worst I have ever seen. He is unlikely to be the P this year and likely done with football by Sept.

Packers UDFA's

DE Montez Murphy, Baylor

WR Brian Clark, North Carolina State

WR Chris Francies, UTEP

LB Jason Hunter, Appalachian State

RB Arliss Beach, Kentucky

Beach had his moments as a senior last fall but played mostly a backup role to Rafael Little, who enjoyed a breakout sophomore campaign.

But in perhaps the most important day of his football career, the Ashland native finally had his moment in the sun. Beach was the star of UK's Pro Day earlier this week, running a better-than-expected 4.45 40-yard dash and doing 21 repetitions on the 225-pound bench press.

Beach remains a long shot at best to get drafted, but UK defensive coordinator Mike Archer said Beach's performance definitely will get him into an NFL camp with a chance to make somebody's roster. Archer said scouts from the Green Bay Packers, Indianapolis Colts and New York Giants all inquired about Beach after watching him work out.