Sign in to follow this  
gpann101

does it seem odd that GB did not draft a rb?

Gado is not the answer and Green is getting flat tires constantly.Poor draft for GB.

Gado is not the answer and Green is getting flat tires constantly.Poor draft for GB.

You certainly could expand on your theories a bit more:

For example, Gado is not the answer because_________

What about Davenport?

And, how is Green getting flat tires constantly? Last year was the first year he's been hurt after half a dozen healthy seasons.

Running backs are the easiest position players to find of all the positions that exist. If the trio of Gado, Green, and Davenport don't pan out...they can fill it with one of a dozen free agents next year or a rookie.

Gado is not the answer

Well, it sure seems like the Green Bay front office feels differently, or surely they would've drafted someone.

Gado will get another shot to carry the load.

He deserves it, I don't know if he will succeed,

but he will get his shot.

What about Davenport?

oh yeah...how could I forget the other rb that can't stay healthy

did i read somewhere they were targeting calhoun and the lions beat them to him?

actually, i was wondering why they didn't draft a kicker in there somewhere.

I'll agree with you on that count.....but Green has not been all that injury prone for a running back.

So if you don't draft a Rb, you automatically have a bad draft? :thumbsup:

AZ drafted a Rb last year...How'd that turn out? OH yeah, they signed Edge this year.

You certainly could expand on your theories a bit more:

For example, Gado is not the answer because_________

What about Davenport?

And, how is Green getting flat tires constantly? Last year was the first year he's been hurt after half a dozen healthy seasons.

Running backs are the easiest position players to find of all the positions that exist. If the trio of Gado, Green, and Davenport don't pan out...they can fill it with one of a dozen free agents next year or a rookie.

:thumbsup:

I agree with most of what's said here, but I too do not think any of Green Bay's current RB group are long-term answers. Other than midget WRs, this year's draft was defense. Next year's will be offense. 1st round should be a WR. 2nd+ they can look for a RB.

What about Davenport?

Be Careful! If he heard you say that he'd personally hunt you down and poop in your closet! :thumbsup:

As part of the rebuilding initiative, I was hoping that the Packers would let Green leave in free agency, re-sign Davenport on the cheap, keep Gado and draft a RB high in the draft. I'm not upset with the way the Packers approached it. By signing both Green and Davenport, they bought another year to tackle the problem and attacked even bigger problem areas of defensive line, linebacker, secondary and the offensive line.

Next year RB will be addressed, unless one of the current backs explodes (it would probably have to be Davenport, IMO).

I don't really believe GB needs another running back. I can't think of any NFL team that is 3 deep with running backs that have all topped 100 yards rushing in a game. This is one position GB does not need in the short term.

What they really need is a deep threat at receiver. I can't count how many times I have seen Farve throw a deep pass up for grabs, often into double coverage. They need a tall, fast receiver that will fight the DB and come down with these catches. I think the Packers need Lelie, but if they were interested in him, he would have probably been traded in the Walker deal.

In 2007, the Packers will draft OKlahoma's stud RB Adrian Peterson. Problem solved.

That would be sweet if they have a high first next year and Peterson enters the draft.

That would be sweet if they have a high first next year and Peterson enters the draft.

The Packers will have a top 5 draft pick in 2007.

Good thing RB is a position you can draft a guy and plug him in immediately. When that is the case, you do not need to have a long term plan. The trio they have now will suffice for one year and then they'll get their future RB next year. What's the big deal?

Packers working out a trade with the Lions already?? :cheers:

All 3 of these RBs can produce when healthy....Gado as a rookie did pretty F-ing good....Davenpoop has had some monster games when he is featured....and Green is still good....

last year was a fluke to have all RBs get hurt....

to think that the Packers should have drafted a RB when they have 3 good RBs under contract is stupid.....why take a flyer RB in the mid rounds and waste a pick other than the top 4 Backs none could prolly "carry the load"....

to pick a RB would have been a waste of pick this year.....

why do people say Gado is not the answer....just cuz he was not drafted does not mean he cant turn out good....he had a better rookie season then many Rbs who are drafted....

give the guy a shot...

picking a Rb in the mid rounds would just waste a pick on a guy that would be the 3rd or 4th Rb on our team...

As part of the rebuilding initiative, I was hoping that the Packers would let Green leave in free agency, re-sign Davenport on the cheap, keep Gado and draft a RB high in the draft. I'm not upset with the way the Packers approached it. By signing both Green and Davenport, they bought another year to tackle the problem and attacked even bigger problem areas of defensive line, linebacker, secondary and the offensive line.

Next year RB will be addressed, unless one of the current backs explodes (it would probably have to be Davenport, IMO).

And they did it all at a very inexpensive price. Najeh and Green both got very cap friendly 1 year deals. Gado is still playing for like $350,000.

Unlike WR, it does not take an RB a whole lot of time to get accustomed to a new system. There will be backs out there like Brown and Henry from Tennesse (possibly if Lendale White works out for them)...in addition to the rookies next year and other free agents.

if the Packers are bad enough...they will be in like for a guy like Adrian Peterson.

Rating a draft poor because they took care of actual needs rather than because a poster does not personally think Gado is any answer is laughable.

I disagree.

Without reading the whole thread, I would say that you can only do so much in one draft. They addressed LBs and WRs primarily which were much more in need than RB.

If all goes the way I would like, they should be in a position to draft peterson next year. :cheers:

McAllister in 2007 IMO

Seriously though, if those 3 RBs would stay healthy, we would have a pretty solid group. Of course, none of them have been especially reliable the last couple years but hopefully between the 3 of them they should be able to hold things together. I do think that Gado could do very well in the future and he should get a chance to prove that this year - maybe he isn't going to be a feature back, but he should have a place on the team for a long time. Green and Davenport are obviously cheap fillers for this year, but I think they have a lot of value considering their price and have allowed the team to concentrate on adressing many other areas that were a bigger problem.

If they are all healthy , the best RB on the roster is Davenport by far.

Green is finished , even healthy .

Gado was a fluke .

Davenport ( If healthy ) can be a steal. I acquired him last week with the intention of dumping him for almost nothing ( Salary cap move the guy i traded with wanted to get rid of him too expensive for him to keep ) and the trade i had going on with him could only be done if i took Davenport .

So i gave like the 22nd pick in next years rookie draft.

But after the draft ( they drafted no RB ) i started thinking about keeping him , i would have to get rid of Mcnair to keep him ( Mcnair is my #3 QB ).

By the way dynasty league.

If they are all healthy , the best RB on the roster is Davenport by far.

Green is finished , even healthy .

Gado was a fluke .

Davenport ( If healthy ) can be a steal. I acquired him last week with the intention of dumping him for almost nothing ( Salary cap move the guy i traded with wanted to get rid of him too expensive for him to keep ) and the trade i had going on with him could only be done if i took Davenport .

So i gave like the 22nd pick in next years rookie draft.

But after the draft ( they drafted no RB ) i started thinking about keeping him , i would have to get rid of Mcnair to keep him ( Mcnair is my #3 QB ).

By the way dynasty league.

McNair's value once in Baltimore = 0.

Gado was a fluke .

Riiiiight, the fluke that went for 100 yards and a TD almost every game behind one of the worst lines in the league. Get real.

:doublethumbsup:

I can't believe someone started a thread like this!!! I wish any other position on the team had as much proven talent and potential. I would have mad as he11 if they had wasted a pick on a RB with such needs at LB, OL and WR.

Green has fewer career carries than LT2 with the talent to make the Pro Bowl. Then both Davenport and Gado can rip 100 yards off on any given week. Once Gado learns to play football, he could be a susperstar--he already looked like one anyway for a few weeks.

Then...Davenport...can rip 100 yards off on any given week.

Yes, but only for that given week. After that, he's riding the pine with some sort of injury.

While I agree with the positive assessments on the RB situation, I disagree with the deep threat comments. We have serviceable WR's right now. What we need is for Favre to not throw deep and instead throw short and intermediate-range passes. His deep passes just don't make it down the field any more, and have lost their accuracy. He needs to play smarter, and let the big WR's make things happen after the catch. Green Bay has moved so far away from what worked for them in their Super Bowl years, which was to work the ball down the field by running the ball and throwing shorter passes for first downs. Now, they try to do it all in one play on a deep pass and it just doesn't work. Go back to the basics, I say.

And those who are down on Gado being the answer for Green Bay obviously did not watch the games he played in last year. He had one bad game (which wasn't his fault, as he was pulled and Green played most of that game against Minnesota before he got hurt) and had several very good games against good defenses. Sure, he fumbled a few times in his first 3 starts, but he pretty much corrected that after those games.

Look at the stats (don't forget, he came in for only half the Pittsburgh game after Green and Davenport were injured and Gado was injured halfway through the Baltimore game in his last week):

GAMEDATE Opp RESULT GS Att Yds Avg Lg TD Rec Yds Avg Lg TD Fum

11/06 PIT L 10-20 No 26 62 2.4 10 1 1 9 9.0 9 0 0

11/13 @ATL W 33-25 Yes 25 103 4.1 17 2 4 5 1.3 10 1 2

11/21 MIN L 17-20 Yes 10 7 0.7 6 0 1 30 30.0 30 0 1

11/27 @PHI L 14-19 No 26 111 4.3 33 1 1 11 11.0 11 0 1

GAMEDATE Opp RESULT GS Att Yds Avg Lg TD Rec Yds Avg Lg TD Fum

12/04 @CHI L 7-19 Yes 20 75 3.8 13 1 1 12 12.0 12 0 0

12/11 DET W 16-13 Yes 29 171 5.9 64 1 1 9 9.0 9 0 0

12/19 @BAL L 3-48 Yes 6 45 7.5 26 0 1 1 1.0 1 0 0

I mean, come on. What does this kid have to do to prove he has what it takes to play well in the NFL??

[edit] Sorry...formatting didn't work out right, even though I thought I'd fixed it...but you should be able to figure it out anyway. [/edit]

You have to have a deep threat though. Last year we had nobody to stretch the field...without that, teams can jump the short routes and sneak up and take away the run. The deep routes keep them honest.

You have to have a deep threat though. Last year we had nobody to stretch the field...without that, teams can jump the short routes and sneak up and take away the run. The deep routes keep them honest.

While it is nice to have a deep threat, I don't believe you have to have one to be successful. And I just don't see Favre making those throws accurately any more. The Pack used to be so good at going across the middle and beating the coverage for a long gain after the catch. I just don't understand why they have gone away from that in the past 5 years or so, when it worked so well for them. I can't tell you how many times I remember Freeman, Chmura, etc. burning defenses on a short or intermediate route across the middle for a TD. Now, Favre chucks it up into double or triple coverage 40+ yards down the field in hopes that someone will catch it. It's not playing to his strengths or those of his WR's at the moment.

I just don't understand why they have gone away from that in the past 5 years or so

Because Sherman was head coach. The man designed a devestating rushing attack, but he and Rossley had thier heads up thier collective a$$ in the passing game.

I hope McCarthy's talk about a return to the classic WCO is more than rhetoric...

Because Sherman was head coach. The man designed a devestating rushing attack, but he and Rossley had thier heads up thier collective a$$ in the passing game.

I hope McCarthy's talk about a return to the classic WCO is more than rhetoric...

Agreed. The play calling in regards to the passing game has been horrible in recent years. I've been saying for at least the past 4 years to anyone that will listen that the Packers need to get back to the running game and short passes for 1st downs. Work it down the field, kill the clock, control the ball. THAT was Green Bay's game under Holmgren, and hey, it worked! Sherman let Favre take far too many unnecessary shots down the field, and it is catching up with him now. I really hope they go back to this gameplan. It will keep the defense off the field longer, so they are fresh, and it will produce more scoring opportunities for the offense. No fan is asking the offense to do it all in one or two plays. Just finish the drive smartly. That's what we're asking for.

Agreed. The play calling in regards to the passing game has been horrible in recent years. I've been saying for at least the past 4 years to anyone that will listen that the Packers need to get back to the running game and short passes for 1st downs. Work it down the field, kill the clock, control the ball. THAT was Green Bay's game under Holmgren, and hey, it worked! Sherman let Favre take far too many unnecessary shots down the field, and it is catching up with him now. I really hope they go back to this gameplan. It will keep the defense off the field longer, so they are fresh, and it will produce more scoring opportunities for the offense. No fan is asking the offense to do it all in one or two plays. Just finish the drive smartly. That's what we're asking for.

:wall:

Funny, I had the same thought as well. Isn't it amazing that by Sherman leaving the Packers & joining the Texans that both offenses should be vastly improved? Doesn't say much last few years Texans offense.

Why draft one now when they could draft one next year? Running backs don't need a year to develop, give them a few minicamps and a training camp and they are good to go.

I mean, come on. What does this kid have to do to prove he has what it takes to play well in the NFL??

Yeah, WTF? I mean, come on. Samkon Gado once killed a man with his bare hands just to watch him die.