1. 1. You gonna watch?

• Yes
    • No
    • Final rounds only
    • Final match only

all I hear is pops and buzzes. speak english

It's quite clear.

Hear English.

:unsure: honestly can't wait. there really is nothing like it in all of sports.

Good grief. Italy is in the US's bracket aren't they?

yep, along with the czechs (and ghana fwiw), which means the us would do well just to finish second, which would mean facing brazil in the round of 16. which means it would be a miracle on grass just to get to the quarterfinals again.

I don't know when the matches will be on but if it's going to be in the early early am I'll tape some of them rather then watch them live. like someone else said I'll watch the us and probably whatever's the best matchup for that round onward. though I'd like to watch the swiss- france game (they had a pretty good go at it in the qualifiers) and the argentina- netherlands game. oh, and it'll be fun to see if iran's president comes to germany of all places and makes a bunch of anti- semetic remarks while there!

As for the "gayness" comments, from a contact/violence standpoint, it has less than football and hockey, and more than basketball and baseball.

It is a surprisingly physical game.

Anyone who thinks it isn't, is judging by the soccer they used to play in gym class.

Between ABC, ESPN, and ESPN2, we'll get all 64 games here in the US. God bless dual tuner TIVO

I don't know when the matches will be on but if it's going to be in the early early am I'll tape some of them rather then watch them live. like someone else said I'll watch the us and probably whatever's the best matchup for that round onward. though I'd like to watch the swiss- france game (they had a pretty good go at it in the qualifiers) and the argentina- netherlands game. oh, and it'll be fun to see if iran's president comes to germany of all places and makes a bunch of anti- semetic remarks while there!

Looks like no games earlier than 9am (EST).

Here is a good link:

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/schedule.html

you portuguese, d'ohmer?

and you're from philly?

Actually it's what Homer says in that episode.

The funny part is Vikings4ever talks shite about soccer but watches pro wrasslin' three times a week.

Yeah, but I don't devote my life to something that crappy, and I ackowledge that's it's a guilty pleasure. :banana:

Actually it's what Homer says in that episode.

dammit, totally missed that :banana:

"portugal vs. mexico for the championship of the universe"

dammit, totally missed that :blink:

"portugal vs. mexico for the championship of the universe"

Did you not think that Portuguese people lived in Philly? I'm not and I don't, but just asking why you wanted to know?

Did you not think that Portuguese people lived in Philly? I'm not and I don't, but just asking why you wanted to know?

i know portuguese people live in philly. i asked because i am portuguese, and from that area, and know alot of portuguese people (real tight knit community). so i asked out of curiosity.

anywho, i just found out that all the soccer games are gonna be between 9am-3pm EST, which sucks because of fockin' work.

a really serious question here: anybody know if you can watch it online of your PC, like they did with march madness?

here's the schedule for those who want it:

2006 World Cup TV Schedule

Day/Date Time (EST) Group Teams Station

Group Phase

Friday 6/9 12 noon Group A Germany vs. Costa Rica ESPN 2

Friday 6/9 3 pm Group A Poland vs. Ecuador ESPN 2

Saturday 6/10 9 am Group B England vs. Paraguay ABC

Saturday 6/10 12 noon Group B Trinidad & Tobago vs. Sweden ABC

Saturday 6/10 3 pm Group C Argentina vs. Ivory Coast ESPN 2

Sunday 6/11 9 am Group C Serbia Montenegro vs. Netherlands ESPN 2

Sunday 6/11 12 noon Group D Mexico vs. Iran ABC

Sunday 6/11 3 pm Group D Angola vs. Portugal ESPN 2

Monday 6/12 9 am Group F Australia vs. Japan ESPN 2

Monday 6/12 12 noon Group E USA vs. Czech Republic ESPN 2

Monday 6/12 3 pm Group E Italy vs. Ghana ESPN 2

Tuesday 6/13 9 am Group G Korea Republic vs. Togo ESPN 2

Tuesday 6/13 12 noon Group G France vs. Switzerland ESPN 2

Tuesday 6/13 3 pm Group F Brazil vs. Croatia ESPN 2

Wednesday 6/14 9 am Group H Spain vs. Ukraine ESPN 2

Wednesday 6/14 12 noon Group H Tunisia vs. Saudi Arabia ESPN 2

Wednesday 6/14 3 pm Group A Germany vs. Poland ESPN 2

Thursday 6/15 9 am Group A Ecuador vs. Costa Rica ESPN 2

Thursday 6/15 12 noon Group B England vs. Trinidad & Tobago ESPN 2

Thursday 6/15 3 pm Group B Sweden vs. Paraguay ESPN

Friday 6/16 9 am Group C Argentina vs. Serbia Montenegro ESPN 2

Friday 6/16 12 noon Group C Netherlands vs. Ivory Coast ESPN 2

Friday 6/16 3 pm Group D Mexico vs. Angola ESPN

Saturday 6/17 9 am Group D Portugal vs. Iran ESPN 2

Saturday 6/17 12 noon Group E Czech Republic vs. Ghana ABC

Saturday 6/17 3 pm Group E Italy vs. USA ABC

Sunday 6/18 9 am Group F Japan vs. Croatia ABC

Sunday 6/18 12 noon Group F Brazil vs. Australia ABC

Sunday 6/18 3 pm Group G France vs. Korea Republic ABC

Monday 6/19 9 am Group G Togo vs. Switzerland ESPN 2

Monday 6/19 12 noon Group H Saudi Arabia vs. Ukraine ESPN 2

Monday 6/19 3 pm Group H Spain vs. Tunisia ESPN 2

Tuesday 6/20 10 am Group A Ecuador vs. Germany ESPN

Tuesday 6/20 10 am Group A Costa Rica vs. Poland ESPN 2

Tuesday 6/20 3 pm Group B Sweden vs. England ESPN

Tuesday 6/20 3 pm Group B Paraguay vs. Trinidad & Tobago ESPN 2

Wednesday 6/21 10 am Group D Portugal vs. Mexico ESPN

Wednesday 6/21 10 am Group D Iran vs. Angola ESPN 2

Wednesday 6/21 3 pm Group C Netherlands vs. Argentina ESPN

Wednesday 6/21 3 pm Group C Ivory Coast vs. Serbia Montenegro ESPN 2

Thursday 6/22 10 am Group E Ghana vs. USA ESPN

Thursday 6/22 10 am Group E Czech Republic vs. Italy ESPN 2

Thursday 6/22 3 pm Group F Japan vs. Brazil ESPN

Thursday 6/22 3 pm Group F Croatia vs. Australia ESPN 2

Friday 6/23 10 am Group H Saudi Arabia vs. Spain ESPN

Friday 6/23 10 am Group H Ukraine vs. Tunisia ESPN 2

Friday 6/23 3pm Group G Togo vs. France ESPN

Friday 6/23 3pm Group G Switzerland vs. Korea Republic ESPN

Round of 16

Saturday 6/24 11 am A1 vs. B2 TBD ABC

Saturday 6/24 3 pm C1 vs. D2 TBD ESPN

Sunday 6/25 11 am B1 vs. A2 TBD ABC

Sunday 6/25 3 pm D1 vs. C2 TBD ESPN

Monday 6/26 11 am E1 vs. F2 TBD ESPN

Monday 6/26 3 pm G1 vs. H2 TBD ESPN

Tuesday 6/27 11 am F1 vs. E2 TBD ESPN

Tuesday 6/27 3pm H1 vs. G2 TBD ESPN

Quarterfinals

Friday 6/30 11 am 49 vs. 50 TBD ESPN

Friday 6/30 3 pm 53 vs. 54 TBD ESPN 2

Saturday 7/1 11 am 51 vs. 52 TBD ABC

Saturday 7/1 3 pm 55 vs. 56 TBD ESPN

Semifinals, Third Place, Final

Tuesday 7/4 3 pm Semifinal ..1: 57 vs. 58 TBD ESPN

Wednesday 7/5 3 pm Semifinal ..2: 59 vs. 60 TBD ESPN

Saturday 7/8 3pm Third Place TBD ESPN

Sunday 7/9 2 pm Final TBD ABC

anywho, i just found out that all the soccer games are gonna be between 9am-3pm EST, which sucks because of fockin' work.

Not for those of us that have a tv at work. :shocking:

Not for those of us that have a tv at work. :shocking:

I got one too, but its small and not well placed to where i sit. i got a few pc monitors in front of me and if they show the games online, i'll just watch it off one of my monitors or bug the IT guy for another monitor for the month, which shouldnt be a problem.

i just prefered the games to be not between the hours of 9:30-4 because i got a performanced based job (i.e. no salary) and these soccer games during the day could/will effect my work.

definitely pumped. Pretty bummed I couldn't gather the scratch to go (one of the US games is where I still have aunts and cousins), but it will be fun to watch. 6AM start times suck, but it's better than heading downtown at 2AM like last time.

I think US will surprise in the opening round--but it won't help them get past Brasil in the 2nd round. :shocking:

and it's mighty interesting that for all the rat's ass comments soccer gets at FFT, 2/3 of the people voting in this thread plan to watch WC06.

I was a little surprised at the voting results too. Geeks watching soccer!!??!

At least I have an online account to put a little money on it and then watch. Without that, forget it. And even then, I'll probably just flip by every once in a while to check the score.

i asked because i am portuguese, and from that area, and know alot of portuguese people (real tight knit community). so i asked out of curiosity.

Ah, anyway to send you an e-mail?

Lived in Danbury, CT when Brazil won (94?). Large Brazilian population. Within 30 minutes of the final's end they had a parade going through downtown with drums, dancing, booze and half-nekkid senoritas. Made me a World Cup fan on the spot.

I was living in Brazil during that cup. Hopped on a bus full of singing fans to the main street of Sao Paolo. Plenty of drums etc.

(although I will say that while the Cup overall was great, the final game between Italy-Brazil totally sucked. But when Baggio missed the PK, who the hell cared? Craziness ensued.)

Was living in Switzerland the year before, during the qualifiers, when the Swiss beat Italy. Was crazy there too.

Love the World Cup. And until you've gone to a heated rivalry soccer match in a foreign country, you'll be hard-pressed to fully understand the energy. The songs, the flags, the...uh, violence. :banana:

Had a Brazilian girlfriend who once told me how boring going to American sports were. She was like "what's with the 'doo doo do dooo do doo...Go!' chants? That's all you hear."

And while I love NFL and NCAA March Madness, she was right.

a really serious question here: anybody know if you can watch it online of your PC, like they did with march madness?

At this point, only Globo (Brazil) and BBC (England) are showing all matches online. You need to have a Brazil- or England-based ISP to watch.

I would kill for ESPN/ABC doing the same for the US. Mainly because my boss is a soccer freak, and I could freely watch all games during working hours (hell, he's starting to make sure meetings don't occur doing particular games).

Anyone know how to get Brazil/England proxies?

Why p*ss and moan about Brazil in the 2nd round? If the US is so good, just win the damn bracket, then no worries, they can be Italy's problem.

International soccer is something special. I love the world cup. Americans dont usually realize it, but this is the biggest sporting event in the world, even bigger than the olympics. Other countries are unbelievably into this. I hope the USA has another strong showing and maybe the fan support will grow which would lead to more money for the teams so we can quit shipping our best players over to Euro clubs.

ETA - How has the USA done in recent Friendlies?

International soccer is something special. I love the world cup. Americans dont usually realize it, but this is the biggest sporting event in the world, even bigger than the olympics. Other countries are unbelievably into this. I hope the USA has another strong showing and maybe the fan support will grow which would lead to more money for the teams so we can quit shipping our best players over to Euro clubs.

ETA - How has the USA done in recent Friendlies?

they played very well against Croatia last week. I heard they sucked against Morocco. But based on that last game, they're ready.

I always passed up futbol, tryed to watch it the other day and found it hard to follow :argue: Does it just take a little getting used to?

makes me want to check out the yanks :ninja: