Sign in to follow this  
JCW412

What to do in Pittsburgh?

My wife and I decided to try to find some place to take a "family vacation" this summer. After some discussion and finding a few things to do, we have decided on Pittsburgh. We plan on hitting a Bucs/Brewers game or two along with a couple other attractions / ideas. What are some of the must sees, must dos, and must eats in the Pittsburgh area? Also, we are thinking of staying in the downtown area. Is that a pretty central location with possible walking distances or is there a better location?

As a bit of background information, we are driving there from the Milwaukee area (about 8 hours) and we will have our 4 month old along.

TIA

I hear motorcyle riding is popular.

And you don't have to wear a helmet.

You can visit Ben in the hospital too.

Have a nice trip!

It's one of the best places in the country to ride a motorcycle. :thumbsup:

ETA: fockers... :banana:

I hear motorcyle riding is popular.

And you don't have to wear a helmet.

Dammit, a minute too late. :thumbsup:

Dammit, a minute too late. :banana:

:thumbsup:

I had a feeling this would be a bad day to ask. Oh well. I must say I am disappointed it took 8 minutes for the first Big Ben post.

Wait let me get this straight. You're taking a vacation and you're going to Pittsburgh? Really? You're not yanking our chains here? Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.... and you decided this on your own. You don't have to make a business trip there or anything? You and your wife were sitting around and one of you said, “you know where we should go? Pittsburgh. And the other thought it was a good idea? Wow… what’s next years trip, Wichita

:ninja:

after visiting pnc for bucs game, i don't have much to offer. but pnc is one of the most spectacular stadiums i've been in. great view of the city, great view of the game...no matter where you sit.

the pittsburgh zoo is pretty greta. it's on the other side of town from the ballpark, but one of the better ones i've been too. i don't know if your kid will get anything out of it, but it's cool nonetheless.

other than that, i gotta tell ya, i don't know what there is to do right off hand. a few good restaurants that i can't remember the name of. except the grand concourse: definitely do the brunch. very famous brunch in a top-tier restaurant.

try a primanti bros. sandwich just to say you did.

that's all i've got to offer...i grew up not far from pgh, but didn't really visit all that much. except to take in a ball game or do some shopping from time to time. plus, i don't really like the city.

:pointstosky:

just a warning: the driving sucks there! people go along in four lane highways then have to squeeze into a two land tunnel then they get pissed off then start cutting people off left and right! and because it's so hilly there you're often driving up and down as much as you are forward so it can be confusing the first time you're there. as for places to go. well most of the places I went to when visiting there your kid wouldn't like, except maybe the aviary (bird place).

The best thing to do in Pittsburgh is to buy a bus ticket to get the hell out of Pittsburgh.

I have relatives there so I would spend a lot of summers in Pittsburgh and the surrounding suberbs. My parents grew up in Etna :doublethumbsup: No wonder I turned out so bad. When I would go back to visit ,we would go to Fort Pitt, a few nice museums,and the Zoo is nice (remember seeing lots of Amish visiting) Other than that, Grandpa would taking us fishing and to North Park to hit at the batting cages. We also played a lot of Putt Putt and 3 shot golf (whatever you call it don't have those here in California). The only other thing I remember doing , was playing whiffle ball, swimming in Dough boy pools, and chasing after fire flies.

I live in Pittsburgh. I can't believe people actually come here for vacation, but they do. Alot. Among many of the other great ideas listed here, also check out Kennywood. It's the amusement park here. Do a google on it, I'm too lazy right now. It's a great park, with great rides. Known nation wide.

The south side and strip district are ok, as is the many art centers. Be prepared to kill someone while driving, the roads and layout of the roads suck ass. Lots of hills. Pretty much - Pittsbugh for a vacation is meh. But it won't be that expensive and there are some good things to do.

Go to the hospital where Roethlisberger is staying and tailgate in the parking lot

:wacko:

I hope by "family vacation" you mean just the wife and you - because other than focking and drinking I can't think of anything to do in Pittsburgh.

Order a salad. They put cheese fries on it.

Best thing to in Pennsylvania is drive through the hills on a Sunday night at 60 mph (well, thats what I did when I had to cut through the state between destinations).

I suppose I should make a 'dont wear your seatbelt/just watch out for motorcycles' joke..

Yeah, of all the places I can think of around your area, Pitts isn't exactly the vacation nirvana I'd think of. But, I guess fun can be found anywhere. (except cincinatti).

The Primatti sammich is uber horrible, but for some reason Pitts people insist on dragging foreigners there. Basically, it's this: A hot, dirty, crowded deli that serves sammiches that would be okay @ best except: They put watery coleslaw and french fries right ON your sammich. What you end up with is an absolute mess. I mean, if they'd just make their slaw far less watery, you might be able to work with it, but as it is, it's pretty much disgusting.

Yeah, of all the places I can think of around your area, Pitts isn't exactly the vacation nirvana I'd think of. But, I guess fun can be found anywhere. (except cincinatti).

The Primatti sammich is uber horrible, but for some reason Pitts people insist on dragging foreigners there. Basically, it's this: A hot, dirty, crowded deli that serves sammiches that would be okay @ best except: They put watery coleslaw and french fries right ON your sammich. What you end up with is an absolute mess. I mean, if they'd just make their slaw far less watery, you might be able to work with it, but as it is, it's pretty much disgusting.

What Primanti's did you go into? The one I go to is an awesome sports bar type atmosphere with some serious hottie waitresses/bartenders. And the sammiches are fockin good. Out of the literally hundreds I have eaten, none have been "messy". Also, the pizza is really good too. If they were'nt known for the sammiches, they'd be known for the pizza. mmmmmmm :mouthwatering"

Downtown somewhere. Got the idea it was the 'original'. Definitely not my favorite sandwich. Didn't try the pizza though....

So for me this thread begs the question, just how big a sh!thole is Milwaukee that you would go to Pittsburgh to get away from it all?

Downtown somewhere. Got the idea it was the 'original'. Definitely not my favorite sandwich. Didn't try the pizza though....

Ah, thats why. Thats the original, but the "recipes" and stuff are the same at all the locations. Dunno why yours was soggy or whatever. Oh well. The offshoots in the burbs are alot better atmosphere wise. They have alot of different sammiches. Sucks you had a bad time there.

During the summer the ones in the burbs have carwashes every weekend with the waitresses in bikinis washing your car. zing!

So for me this thread begs the question, just how big a sh!thole is Milwaukee that you would go to Pittsburgh to get away from it all?

Exactly. I've lived here all my life and can't understand why people actually come here for vacation. But they do. I'd rather go to the mountains or a beach or something.

Guess the Burgh still has the reputation of a steel mill town, dirty and smoggy. Yet there hasn't been a steel mill in 2 decades and the place has really cleaned up. Looks awesome in the summer. But for a vacation? meh

Wait let me get this straight. You're taking a vacation and you're going to Pittsburgh? Really? You're not yanking our chains here? Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.... and you decided this on your own. You don't have to make a business trip there or anything? You and your wife were sitting around and one of you said, “you know where we should go? Pittsburgh. And the other thought it was a good idea? Wow… what’s next years trip, Wichita

:D

What city are you coming from?

Thanks to all the people that have provided some useful information. It has been noted and I will write down those ideas.

For those of you who question "Why Pittsburgh?" I guess it stemmed from looking at the Brewers schedule and someplace where we might be able to see an out of town game, away park, etc. It wasn't important, but it was an idea. We will have a 4 month old in tow as well so it limits the kinds of activities we can do. We were also looking at someplace close (8 hour drive is not bad) that we haven't been before. If I would have said we were going to many of the other neighboring states I would have got the same "Why the hell there" question. Also, I didn't quite feel like exploring the flying option with a young child and then dealing with the ground transportation once at the destination. I guess I don't know why I felt the need to explain that part but that is the reason in a nutshell.

Oh yeah, and thanks again for all those who helped. I appreciate it.

The Children's Museum is great. Might be a little old for your little one.

Zoo is nice, too.

Kennywood or SandCastle (water slide park)

Some Amish are nearby.

You could get on good terms with the locals by making some redneck jokes about people living in Johnstown, PA.