Sign in to follow this  
Kellys Heroes

Tom Brady and his Recievers

I want Watson on my team this year and I like where his ADP is right now. The guy's a freak.....same ability as Antonio Gates, but faster. I've got to believe that the Patriots are going to use him much more this year. He's too much of a weapon to just block at TE. They should move him around and line him up at WR.

I saw that guy run down Champ Bailey in the playoffs while running diagonally across the field. He's got to be one of the fastest TE's I've ever seen.

In other words, I think Givens could be forgotten by game 1 this year if they use Watson correctly.

Here's a homer's opinion:

(note, this all assumes that Branch's contract dispute works out... and I believe it will)

1. First and foremost, none of the NE WRs will be valuable fantasy commodities. The simple fact is that NE (Brady) spreads the ball around too much. Only Deion Branch is a "draftable" WR and he's best used as #3 fantasy option.

2. Here's a list of viable pass-catchers for NE (WRs, TEs, RBs)

- Kevin Faulk (RB)

- Lawrence Maroney (RB, ®)

- Patrick Pass (FB)

- Garret Mills (TE/FB, ®)

- Daniel Graham (TE)

- Ben Watson (TE, maybe some slot WR): may be a fantasy steal this year

- David Thomas (TE, ®)

- Deion Branch (WR)

- Reche Caldwell (WR)

- Chad Jackson (WR, ®)

- Troy Brown (WR)

What the list shows us is that NE is VERY deep at TE, and thin at WR.

If rookie Chad Jackson lives up to his billing, the WRs will be fine. Also keep in mind that Troy Brown will NOT be working with the defense this year, so in a sense he is an addition to the WRs.

There is also talk that Ben Watson will play some slot receiver.

Who will make the team as the #5 WR is still unknown.

Branch is critical because he's their deep threat. Brady's strength is making the quick read, short pass, and picking apart a defense; but he can't do that unless there's a deep threat to keep D's honest. Can Caldwell or Jackson also serve as deep threats? We don't know.

I want Watson on my team this year and I like where his ADP is right now. The guy's a freak.....same ability as Antonio Gates, but faster. I've got to believe that the Patriots are going to use him much more this year. He's too much of a weapon to just block at TE. They should move him around and line him up at WR.

I saw that guy run down Champ Bailey in the playoffs while running diagonally across the field. He's got to be one of the fastest TE's I've ever seen.

In other words, I think Givens could be forgotten by game 1 this year if they use Watson correctly.

I think you're correct.

Daniel Graham is one of the best blocking TEs in the league; his hands are fair, but his blocking is elite.

Watson is a freak and I believe that NE knows they will use him in the slot and that's why they're not too worried about WR depth; that's why they drafted so many TEs because Watson will essentially be a WR this year.

There are enough weapons now for Brady to distribute the ball around. This has never been a issue to begin with. Since when was Givens even a big loss??

Some thoughts on Patriot receiving options:

Watson-Has a chance to become something special. There's no doubt the physical ability is there. The question is will the Pats utilize him as their main weapon. I think he becomes a legit #1 TE this year but since the Pats will always spread the ball around he won't totally blow up.

Thomas-The word so far is there's a love affair brewing between Thomas and the Pats. This kid is a textbook Patriot. He also is a vacuum cleaner and catches everything thrown to him. Look for him to take receptions away from both Graham and Troy Brown. If Thomas does live up to the hype it will really allow the Pats to throw some different looks at defenses.

Graham-He is what he is. Excellent athlete, excellent blocker...and hands that can't always be trusted. With Thomas onboard I don't see Graham putting up much in the numbers department. His blocking means he'll still be a big part of the offense and he's always a threat for a big play. Yet, if Thomas can be trusted I think he eats into Graham's looks.

Branch-Will put up the biggest reception and yardage numbers if he plays 16 games. The big question for him is visiting the endzone. That will determine is fantasy value. Right now In see him in the same ballpark as last year. He's a very good WR#3 option who has the potential to be a WR#2 but I wouldn't be too comfortable with him in that role.

Jackson-Looks good so far but he's a rookie WR so who knows what you'll get. Should be a huge improvement over stiffs like Andre Davis and Tim Dwight but I don't see a fantasy impact this year.

Caldwell-Probably the biggest wildcard. If he can be effective it will really open the door for Branch. If not Branch will be smothered which will be an issue. Hopefully he can be more David Patten than David Terrell. Right now, he's penciled in as their #2 but the pads haven't gone on yet.

Troy Brown-Still has good hands but the end is near. Will still make some big/tough catches but he has zero fantasy value.

Bam Childress-This kid intrigues me. There's something a little electric about him. That being said he's still fighting for a roster spot and in a very best case scenario he sneaks past Troy as a #4.

Garrett Mills-Seems to be stuggling a little in the pro game. A best case scenario is he's a jack of all trades who lines up at FB/TE/Hback and poses matchup issues for defenses. His only fantasy impact will be whether he steals receptions from a guy like Watson.

Running backs-The wldcard here is Maroney. The Pats have been very pleasantly surprised by he pass catching ability. If Dillon bounces back the Pats will need to find ways to get Maroney involved and he will be involved. Therefore he could put up some numbers in the passing game which will probavly add into the Pats spread it around offense and take numbers away from others.

There's one other issue which always gets overlooked with the Pats. Last year both their O line and RB unit was destroyed by injuries. As of now they are both healthy. Look for the O line to be vastly improved due to health and the growth of youngsters. Add that in to Maroney's arrival and a potential bounce back from Dillon and the Pats could be far more balanced. Another factor last year was the D was devastated by injuries for a long period of time and it forced the Pats to throw out of need not choice. There's a good chance that that same scenario will not be in play this year.

Some thoughts on Patriot receiving options:

Watson-Has a chance to become something special. There's no doubt the physical ability is there. The question is will the Pats utilize him as their main weapon. I think he becomes a legit #1 TE this year but since the Pats will always spread the ball around he won't totally blow up.

Thomas-The word so far is there's a love affair brewing between Thomas and the Pats. This kid is a textbook Patriot. He also is a vacuum cleaner and catches everything thrown to him. Look for him to take receptions away from both Graham and Troy Brown. If Thomas does live up to the hype it will really allow the Pats to throw some different looks at defenses.

Graham-He is what he is. Excellent athlete, excellent blocker...and hands that can't always be trusted. With Thomas onboard I don't see Graham putting up much in the numbers department. His blocking means he'll still be a big part of the offense and he's always a threat for a big play. Yet, if Thomas can be trusted I think he eats into Graham's looks.

Branch-Will put up the biggest reception and yardage numbers if he plays 16 games. The big question for him is visiting the endzone. That will determine is fantasy value. Right now In see him in the same ballpark as last year. He's a very good WR#3 option who has the potential to be a WR#2 but I wouldn't be too comfortable with him in that role.

Jackson-Looks good so far but he's a rookie WR so who knows what you'll get. Should be a huge improvement over stiffs like Andre Davis and Tim Dwight but I don't see a fantasy impact this year.

Caldwell-Probably the biggest wildcard. If he can be effective it will really open the door for Branch. If not Branch will be smothered which will be an issue. Hopefully he can be more David Patten than David Terrell. Right now, he's penciled in as their #2 but the pads haven't gone on yet.

Troy Brown-Still has good hands but the end is near. Will still make some big/tough catches but he has zero fantasy value.

Bam Childress-This kid intrigues me. There's something a little electric about him. That being said he's still fighting for a roster spot and in a very best case scenario he sneaks past Troy as a #4.

Garrett Mills-Seems to be stuggling a little in the pro game. A best case scenario is he's a jack of all trades who lines up at FB/TE/Hback and poses matchup issues for defenses. His only fantasy impact will be whether he steals receptions from a guy like Watson.

Running backs-The wldcard here is Maroney. The Pats have been very pleasantly surprised by he pass catching ability. If Dillon bounces back the Pats will need to find ways to get Maroney involved and he will be involved. Therefore he could put up some numbers in the passing game which will probavly add into the Pats spread it around offense and take numbers away from others.

There's one other issue which always gets overlooked with the Pats. Last year both their O line and RB unit was destroyed by injuries. As of now they are both healthy. Look for the O line to be vastly improved due to health and the growth of youngsters. Add that in to Maroney's arrival and a potential bounce back from Dillon and the Pats could be far more balanced. Another factor last year was the D was devastated by injuries for a long period of time and it forced the Pats to throw out of need not choice. There's a good chance that that same scenario will not be in play this year.

Gotta love homers, sincere thanks for the insight!

There are enough weapons now for Brady to distribute the ball around. This has never been a issue to begin with. Since when was Givens even a big loss??

He was the possession guy opposite Branch, and allowed the TE's to grow. He was basically the co-#1 with Branch, and his abilities will be sorely missed. He is that type of wideout that reminds me of the McCardell situation. Change of scenario allowed him to grow. I truly feel Givens will produce at levels on par with Bennett this season, and be the top Wideout the next. Did I mention that he is available many rounds later. The Pats need Caldwell, or Jackson to exceed this years expectations, to cover the loss of Givens. Increased TE production alone will not fill the void.

He was the possession guy opposite Branch, and allowed the TE's to grow. He was basically the co-#1 with Branch, and his abilities will be sorely missed. He is that type of wideout that reminds me of the McCardell situation. Change of scenario allowed him to grow. I truly feel Givens will produce at levels on par with Bennett this season, and be the top Wideout the next. Did I mention that he is available many rounds later. The Pats need Caldwell, or Jackson to exceed this years expectations, to cover the loss of Givens. Increased TE production alone will not fill the void.

In the Pats sheme it's more important that they get steady production out of the group as a whole. Last year having stiffs like Bethel, Dwight and Davis in their WR unit really hurt them. Therefore they can lose a little at #2 but more than make up for it by having their #3-#5 as well as their TEs (and RBs) step up.

In the Pats sheme it's more important that they get steady production out of the group as a whole. Last year having stiffs like Dwight and Davis in their WR unit really hurt them. Therefore they can lose a little at #2 but more than make up for it by having their #3-#5 as well as their TEs (and RBs) step up.

Speak to his statement that the loss of Givens was nothing. Do you agree with that?

Givins was a TD machine in the playoffs. During the regular season he wasn't even a blip on the fantasy rader.

But as someone else said, only Branch is worth drafting and he is too inconsitent to be a #1 or 2 WR on a fantasy roster. I don't even like having a NE TE cause it is feast or famine.

Brady is a fantasy WR/TE killer cause he will throw to anyone

Speak to his statement that the loss of Givens was nothing. Do you agree with that?

"nothing"? no, I dont' agree that it's nothing.

But Givens isn't a game changing player, he's a gritty role player (and for that he's very likeable).

We're talking about a WR that never reached the 60 catch plateau and averages 3TD a season.

When Givens took over as NE's #2 WR, he kinda' came out of nowhere... there were even bigger questionmarks about the #2 at that point in time.

Don't get me wrong, Givens is a nice player because of his grit, toughness, and workman approach. But he isn't an irreplaceable talent on any NFL team.

He's a definite loss right now. No question about it. He's a high quality WR who's very tough and isn't afraid to get his nose dirty (i.e. excellent blocker). He was a much better real player than fantasy player with the Pats as his numbers were never anything special. He was a money player as well during the playoffs. The only area I can be critical of him is he's not the most durable guy. He's usually good for three missed games a year.

That being said if Caldwell and Jax (who on paper is much more gifted than Givens but is obviously still a rookie) step up and play to their abilities they will be better and deeper at a far, far more affordable price. So, right now it's a question mark as to what his loss means. It all depends on what you get out of those two or a sleeper such as Bam...and you're just not going to know until the games start.

I love Watson's potential this season.

The real genius of Brady is the ability to just hit the open receiver. As long as the OC is calling the right game, and as long as Brady is reading the defenses correctly, it really doesn't matter if they have a legitimate #1 receiver on that team.

I believe Brady will have his finest season yet, and the Pats win at least 12 games this season. :banana:

The real genius of Brady is the ability to just hit the open receiver.

quickly recognizing and exploiting the mis-match... that is what Brady does, that is why he's thows to so many different receivers and why he is so "boringly" accurate.

much like the 3-4 is a "disguise" defense, the offense looks like it too will really head in that direction.

Use a couple of legit WRs to stretch the field but then flood the defense with targets that present matchup problems... Fullback, HBack, YBack, TE... who's who and who's going where!!??

and then let Brady pick 'em apart with Dillon/Maroney providing a threat on the ground.

quickly recognizing and exploiting the mis-match... that is what Brady does, that is why he's thows to so many different receivers and why he is so "boringly" accurate.

much like the 3-4 is a "disguise" defense, the offense looks like it too will really head in that direction.

Use a couple of legit WRs to stretch the field but then flood the defense with targets that present matchup problems... Fullback, HBack, YBack, TE... who's who and who's going where!!??

and then let Brady pick 'em apart with Dillon/Maroney providing a threat on the ground.

That's why I have Brady high on my list. I'm hoping he's on the bored between rounds 6-8. :mad:

Enough with the watson hype. The more you guys go on about him, the less chance i'll have to nab him in the 8-9th round. :mad:

I think the ceiling for a NE WR is about what Branch did last year. Around 1,000 yds 6-8 TDs. The Givens role will likely be filled by Caldwell this season. I like Chad Jackson, and I think he'll be a solid option next year. Branch is the best FF option at WR. Watson will be a good option for leagues that require a TE because I see a good portion of the passing TDs in NE going to TEs.

Enough with the watson hype. The more you guys go on about him, the less chance i'll have to nab him in the 8-9th round. :mad:

with all the depth at TE this year, it will take a LOT of Kool Aid for owners to draft Watson.

the point being, unless you live in NE, odds are you'll have a good chance to steal him late.

:mad: Shhhhhhhhh! on Watson...I like picking him up in round 14 as it stands now!!! :mad:

with all the depth at TE this year, it will take a LOT of Kool Aid for owners to draft Watson.

the point being, unless you live in NE, odds are you'll have a good chance to steal him late.

I dont think so - he is moving up the charts as we speak. Rumours of graham being traded, the incredible play in the playoff game last year and NE's lack of a legit WR2. People have him on the radar for sure.

I dont think so - he is moving up the charts as we speak. Rumours of graham being traded, the incredible play in the playoff game last year and NE's lack of a legit WR2. People have him on the radar for sure.

Agreed. Watson is quickly changing from a "sleeper" to a "value/target" pick at TE.

He was a much better real player than fantasy player with the Pats as his numbers were never anything special.

Agreed. Givens moved the chains last season, as T.Brown had in the past. Givens caught a very high percentage of his receptions for 1st downs in 05. At one point during the season I think he had a streak of 15 or so receptions in a row for 1st downs.

So Givens may contribute as a reciever but the guy fantasy wise sucked ass. I do not think he is a big loss at all. His measly numbers will be distributed between who ever they fill him in with. Jackson, T.Brown and watson should have better years. OK so Jackson hasn't played but he should have a decent second half of the year after he learns the system. Watson and Branch are the only one worth drafting WR/TE wise.

Givens numbers will likely be split among a couple of guys. Translation, NO ONE has any viable FF value. Yes, I think Watson has talent but so does every DC in the league. I see him as another Christian Furia. Big games here and there but most of the time very little production. Note, I am not equating the talent of the two, just the FF production.

That's why I have Brady high on my list. I'm hoping he's on the bored between rounds 6-8. :doublethumbsup:

Highly doubtful. Unless you're in a league with a bunch of Pats haters, he should be no later than the 3rd QB taken.

In standard scoring Branch was ranked 22nd last year, tied with Donte Stallworth. I think he will do about the same this year, making him absolutely draftable as a 2nd WR, but probably in something like the 7or8th round. Maybe you go for a TE, a D, backup RB before your second WR. I see WR as the most inconsistent bunch, Branch is the definate #1 on The Pats, but he will have ups and downs.

RB,RB,WR,TE,QB,RB,D,Branch

Highly doubtful. Unless you're in a league with a bunch of Pats haters, he should be no later than the 3rd QB taken.

I only say that because in my league, RBs and the first 2 tiers of WRs tend to go real early, and at this point, the only viable high pick QB is Manning.

I have Brady rated equally with Palmer. If Palmer can prove that he's over the injury during the preseason, I'll bump him ahead of Brady.

I only say that because in my league, RBs and the first 2 tiers of WRs tend to go real early, and at this point, the only viable high pick QB is Manning.

I have Brady rated equally with Palmer. If Palmer can prove that he's over the injury during the preseason, I'll bump him ahead of Brady.

I think Brady as a ff qb is overrated this year, I like Hass and Eli over Brady.

Enough with the watson hype. The more you guys go on about him, the less chance i'll have to nab him in the 8-9th round. :doublethumbsup:

Like Gates a couple years back?

In my league last year, Watson was pick in the middle rounds, I want to say like the 8th or 9th round (in a 10 team league), and by a girl as her backup to Heap.

In my league last year, Watson was pick in the middle rounds, I want to say like the 8th or 9th round (in a 10 team league), and by a girl as her backup to Heap.

A little ahead of her time :banana:

I think Brady as a ff qb is overrated this year, I like Hass and Eli over Brady.

Eli? He hasn't shown any type of consistency in the NFL so far. Besides, the division is much tougher.

Alexander's always gonna be the TD vulture in Seattle. Hasselhoff's a good QB, but he'll never be a great FF QB as long as Alexander's running 20+ TDs into the endzone.

One guy I have rated highly is Delhomme.

Peyton

Palmer (unless he shows he's not back from injury)

Brady

Delhomme

Hasselhoff