Sign in to follow this  
jdon

controling your league

I have two guys in my league who are constantly trying to change the rules, or think outside the box. Each and everytime they do something we, the most active other 4 or 5 players, are forced to explain, and give examples, why they can't do what they are doing...

Example: last year the two wanted to trade roster spots (As in one guy keeps 7 guys, the other 5 in a six team keeper league) Now they are challenging all of the scoring rules that we have played with for three years (example: qb touchdowns to 6 instead of 4 points). I tell them that we can't change the rules we drafted under and then they ask why, why, and why again?

I guess my real question here is how much do you go out of your way to keep people placated in your league? And at what point do you just tell them to quit asking stupid questions?

Tell them "one more word and your grounded" That's what my mom always said.

I wouldn't explain too much, just tell them to play by the rules or get out.

All of our league rules governing trades, player pick ups, tie-breakers, scoring, specs on keepers, etc. are accounted for in our league constitution. Also included in the constitution are the requirements for making changes of any kind to the constitution. No need to placate anyone since if they don't follow the protocol then pretty much everyone else is quick to point this out. If it's something that is either needed or just a good idea then it can be brought up to the league formally, discussed and voted on. No exceptions.

I have two guys in my league who are constantly trying to change the rules, or think outside the box. Each and everytime they do something we, the most active other 4 or 5 players, are forced to explain, and give examples, why they can't do what they are doing...

Example: last year the two wanted to trade roster spots (As in one guy keeps 7 guys, the other 5 in a six team keeper league) Now they are challenging all of the scoring rules that we have played with for three years (example: qb touchdowns to 6 instead of 4 points). I tell them that we can't change the rules we drafted under and then they ask why, why, and why again?

I guess my real question here is how much do you go out of your way to keep people placated in your league? And at what point do you just tell them to quit asking stupid questions?

Humor them; don't get too annnoyed. Tell them you will conduct votes on certain rules during the season and maybe changes will be made next year. Ultimately, it is a a good thing having active members in a league. Looking to control what other people say or do would be the wrong path to take.

Tell them that rules cannot be changed after the draft until next season. Tell them we will bring a league vote after the season.

I disagree with most of the answers thus far. If you are the commish, run a tight ship. Don't coddle them, tell them, "Hey that is a great idea, unfortunately we won't implement it." Let them know you hear their side and understand where they are coming from then let them know that the rules are the rules and that is that.

A good league is run like a diictatorship. Democracy is a beautiful thing in government. It blows in FF.

Tell them that rules CAN'T be changed after the draft until next season. Tell them we will bring a league vote after the season.

Fixored.

:cry: to the intended response.

I disagree with most of the answers thus far. If you are the commish, run a tight ship. Don't coddle them, tell them, "Hey that is a great idea, unfortunately we won't implement it." Let them know you hear their side and understand where they are coming from then let them know that the rules are the rules and that is that.

A good league is run like a diictatorship. Democracy is a beautiful thing in government. It blows in FF.

Yeah, I'm in a league where the commish has the same philosophy. He's a complete a$$hat. Total duchebag. Don't get me wrong, rules shouldn't be changed in season, but a league vote (even in a keeper league) in the off season solves the problem every time. Ultimately active interested owners are a good thing for your league. Don't discourage it.

Humor them; don't get too annnoyed. Tell them you will conduct votes on certain rules during the season and maybe changes will be made next year. Ultimately, it is a a good thing having active members in a league. Looking to control what other people say or do would be the wrong path to take.

Shockingly good answer.

You cannot change scoring rules in Keeper leagues. It is one of the problems with keepers.

You can, but it takes creativity and time. You have to be willing to work well in advance (2 years) so that owners can adjust their drafting strategy.

Tell them that rules can be changed after the draft until next season. Tell them we will bring a league vote after the season.

:cheers:

best way to go about it. this is how i do it. if an owner wants to propose a rule change or addition we will vote on it at the end of the season. majority rules on the votes so it keeps most owners happy.

Stick your finger in their ass....trust me on this..... :cheers:

Tell them that rules can be changed after the draft until next season. Tell them we will bring a league vote after the season.

That's what we do. Any owner can suggest a rule change to me. We talk about how it might impact the league, and if the owner wants a vote I put it to the league for a vote.

Go over to their houses and punch them in the face in front of their families.

This will calm them down and is the only acceptable solution around here

All of our league rules governing trades, player pick ups, tie-breakers, scoring, specs on keepers, etc. are accounted for in our league constitution. Also included in the constitution are the requirements for making changes of any kind to the constitution. No need to placate anyone since if they don't follow the protocol then pretty much everyone else is quick to point this out. If it's something that is either needed or just a good idea then it can be brought up to the league formally, discussed and voted on. No exceptions.

Exactly. And since this is a keeper league, scoring rules cannot be changed.

They want 6 pt TDs....Let me guess - these are the Palmer & Manning owners?

:dunno:

I agree with this for the most part. I had a great league, but got tired of a few owners always trying to change the rules. I combined the league with another commish's league and let him be commish. I had the above stated philosphy, whereas he just passes everything and anything that is proposed through for a league vote. We've already had 8 rule changes to vote on in the last month, the most recent one just got voted down which would have changed our roster requirements just 3 days before the draft.

I'm OK with rule changes, but things need to be finalized at least a few weeks before the draft. In-season rule changes should only be made to correct a glaring problem or loophole, not just to change for the sake of change.

Bottom line, you can never get 12 owners to agree on everything (that's why league wide voting on trades is a stupid idea) and if want to minimize your pain as commish, you need to neutralize the problem owners with their ticky tack changes, but do it using some diplomacy.

I agree with 90% of this. :dunno: But....

My take is that running a league should be more like a representative democracy similar to the US than a true democracy or a dictatorship. My suggestion is to award active teams with more voting points and dormnat owners get less. Set it up like the house of representatives where the bigger states have more power than little ones. In my opinion, an owners power should be earned by being an active participant in the league.

Some little whinning biotch gets a vote, but a good strong participating owner gets 6 voting points. Set a number of voting points for the entire league (ie) total voting points in league = 50 points. Commissioner lets say gets 8 points, and asst commissioner gets 6, so the other 36 gets divided up by the other 10 teams.

You could also award a points for tenure, Super Bowl wins, etc. Heck be creative.

yeah, dont coddle them.

tell them that a change in scoring or keeper structure of the league needs to be voted on (2/3 majority) with implementation for the NEXT season unless 100% of the teams agree to do it for this season.

rules like this should be in the constitution, but if they're not, you should put them in.

These are the guys who I call "the amateurs that think they can outhink the league". Trust me, these clowns ACTUALLY believe that the scoring changes will enhance THEIR chance at winning the title.

If everybody plays by the same rules, the rules are meaningless. Make it 12 points per rush TD, 9 points per rec TD, why not? The players always decide it, not the rules.

Exactly. And since this is a keeper league, scoring rules cannot be changed.

They want 6 pt TDs....Let me guess - these are the Palmer & Manning owners?

:rolleyes:

funny thing is I have palmer...

thanks for the advice guys.